Football - City Bid the Wrong Type of Sterling

Philokles

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Yeah, but those pundits also talk about 'he won the ball' as if it was a reason not to give a foul (see above). Most football pundits don't bother to read the actual rules of the game they're commenting on (and in many cases played professionally). Their views on most refereeing decisions should be treated as a comic turn, not serious insight.

I agree. When it comes to decisions like this one, I would pay more attention to the letter of the law or what ex referees have to say on the matter. So often we see former players like Alan Shearer or Chris Sutton go off on a tangent because the 'Game has changed since my days!' etc. Ex-pros are always - unless it is some two footed tackle, or a completely reckless lunge, think Britos or Alli in Europa League last season - going to back the player that was red carded in an instance like Mane on Saturday, because, if they were Mane, they would have done the exact same thing and argued with the exact same excuse after being given a red card, 'The ball was there to be won!' / 'I went for the ball!'.

I've only just seen the Mane foul but if that's not a red card then few things are.

It's outrageously reckless. It was dangerous play to begin with and then he carries that through with studs to the face, keeper required multiple stitches. It's red and 3 games suspension is entirely appropriate. He showed a complete disregard for the other player. If you've played football you know that if you run into a head on collision with your foot held high you're in extremely dangerous territory. 

Shocked at that decision. Palace played well in the last game and it looked like de Boer was getting the defensive organisation sorted out. No manager can plan for a horrendous back pass and a glaring miss from two yards out. I really hope that we put a recall clause in TFM's loan contract.

Sacked after four games is a bit rough. They are at home to a struggling Southampton next weekend. Surely that would have been a great chance for Frank de Boer to finally pick up three points and get a bit of momentum going. I'd understand it better if they had someone of high quality lined up in replacement, but Roy Hodgson...

Yeah, it's Hodgson I'm shocked by. The sacking itself, not really. I mean, you can say it's harsh given he had his best performance of the season but on the other hand they had their best performance of the season and still lost to a solid but not terribly inspired Burnley side.

But Hodgson as a replacement is pitiful.

23 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Another manager under severe pressure is Bilic. If West Ham lose at home to Huddersfield tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if Bilic is next to get the sack.

I know I may sound cynical, but some of the things Bilic was saying in his press conference last week, it was as if he wasn't that bothered about offending his bosses and getting the boot, if it came to it. I wouldn't blame him, though. Gold and Sullivan like running their mouths over transfers and have tried to make it look like Bilic was at fault for the Sanches and Krychowiak deals not happening, to deflect for them messing up with the Carvalho deal.

20 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, it's Hodgson I'm shocked by. The sacking itself, not really. I mean, you can say it's harsh given he had his best performance of the season but on the other hand they had their best performance of the season and still lost to a solid but not terribly inspired Burnley side.

But Hodgson as a replacement is pitiful.

I can't help but think that Palace are choosing the short term over the long term. Hodgson is a decent manager for PL clubs trying to avoid relegation or finish mid-table, but he is nothing more than that, as his spell at Liverpool proved. He will likely keep them up and start getting decent results faster than de Boer would have, but I doubt he will ever inspire them to play good football and challenge the top half.

Frank de Boer was criticised for trying to bring 'total football' to a team like Palace, but in midfield and attack, Palace have some quality players and are surely capable of pushing for a Europa League spot if they played to their potential. I think, given some time and patience, de Boer would have got the team playing good football and picking up wins. Hodgson could well be another big Sam. Keep them up then leave. Then Palace go about choosing another young innovative manager like de Boer, don't give him enough time to start producing results, sack him out of fear, and appoint another old timer like Allardyce or Hodgson to keep them up. That'll only work for so long before they lose some of the quality players they have and end up relegated again.

Sacked after four games is crazy*, even if they did look hapless for the first three.  It encourages all managers to be risk averse and focus solely on the short term, terrified to experiment or do anything different.  I can understand the financial prospect of relegation must be gut-wrenching now for owners/boards but ultimately it's all fans who lose by having managers like Hodgson in the league. 

*I wonder if deBoer's fairly rapid failure at Inter was weighed against him before a ball was even kicked.  But, if so, they should never have hired him in the first place.

Hodgson is a decent appointment. Out of his depth at England and big clubs sides, but pretty perfect for a lower midtable team like Palace. But giving a manager four games, especially when they are looking to establish a totally different system with significantly smaller funds to work with than his predecessors, is moronic. You shouldn't be giving a project to a manager you are unsure about enough that you would not give them at least half a season no matter what happens.

Anyway, off to my first PL match of the season later. Excited to see Huddersfield as one of my favourite English sides in the last year or so. Will also be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like at the Olympic Stadium. I wonder if the fans have congregated in more like minded groups than last season where eveyone was mixed together. Also, how will the team be received after a poor start - it got negative very quickly at times last season, which was partly why West Ham struggled so badly to adapt.

Good for them. I don't really see them succeeding in that quest however.

On a less trivial note. A question for our Dutch boarders.

Is there any news on Appie Nouri? I know, he isn't ever going to play professional football again, but how bad is his condition actually, is he conscious, or is that out of the question?

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I remain baffled that not one top team seemed seriously interested in signing Antonio in this window.

I thought, with Chelsea looking for someone to provide competition at RWB, he would have been a great choice, as he can play in an advanced position as a wide forward, too. Certainly more effective than Ox, imo.

15 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I thought, with Chelsea looking for someone to provide competition at RWB, he would have been a great choice, as he can play in an advanced position as a wide forward, too. Certainly more effective than Ox, imo.

I reckon he'd seriously improve the squads of Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal and provide a good option for Spurs and, as you say, Chelsea. Heck, we were looking for a wide player, one who could cover for both Valencia and Lukaku if needed would have seemed worth considering to me.

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Good half from West Ham but still no goal. The anxiety is only going to grow the longer it stays 0-0. Wouldn't surprise me if Huddersfield nick a goal.

It's got 1-0 Huddersfield win written all over it. Although tbh if they get one early enough they could get more, West Ham aren't unprone to mental collapses.

Archived