Football - City Bid the Wrong Type of Sterling

Philokles

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Anyway, from what I've seen most Liverpool fans aren't throwing tantrums over manufactured hype over VVD in particular, they're pissed off because there seemed to be absolutely no plan B if you didn't get him and you really really need a CB. To an extent Lemar too but most people seem unsure of why you really needed him so there doesn't seem to be as much frustration there.

I share that disappointment but there's definitely also a less measured/rational subset of fans that storms the beaches of fan forums on days like this.  The melodrama and self-loathing reaches almost Arsenal proportions. 

14 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

No-one seems to know where Mahrez is. Various reports have him in Barcelona, Paris or London. Someone should file a missing persons report.

The Where's Waldo of football... The Drinkwater talk looks like it has more legs than Mahrez. 

Some weird shit happened with Barkley at the physical. Oh well. Could care less. He can just piss all over every top team in England till they realize he isn't worth it. 

Spurs were criticized all summer for their lack of moves but I think they look the strongest on paper next to City. They really have no excuse to not win. The only person they lose is Walker. Add Sanchez and Aurier to back line, and get the back up striker for Kane they've been looking for. Good on them. 

France dominated the Dutch today. They look unstoppable up front. Their goal scorers today were Griezmann, Lemar (2), and Mbappe. Non goal scorers were Giroud, Pogba, and Lacazette (Lemar kinda stole one form him). Insane attackers. They're my early favorites for WC winner.

1 minute ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

The Where's Waldo of football... The Drinkwater talk looks like it has more legs than Mahrez.

The Drinkwater deal should go through provided Leicester can complete a deal for Adrien Silva. This is apparently the hold-up - Leicester not giving permission for a medical to take place until they secure Silva. Mahrez deal looks to have no legs at all.

7 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Sky reporting that a source close to Barkley is reporting that he didn't have a medical at Chelsea today, despite what Farhad Moshiri says.

Either way, another snub to add to the list of Lukaku, Walker, Danilo, Aurier, Ox, Llorente, Sandro...

Was Sandro a snub or did Juve dig their feet into the ground and refuse to sell him? I thought it was the latter. The only one listed that really burns me is Llorente. I'd prefer him at 32 than Michy at 23 years old as the back up.

16 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Was Sandro a snub or did Juve dig their feet into the ground and refuse to sell him? I thought it was the latter. The only one listed that really burns me is Llorente. I'd prefer him at 32 than Michy at 23 years old as the back up.

Suppose Sandro is the least snub-like of the list I provided.

I would have liked one of those full backs that snubbed us, but we got Zappacosta wrapped up and I'm confident in him, as he sounds like a Conte signing as opposed to an Emelano signing.

I agree. I really can't believe Llorente slipped through our hands. We are the PL champions; Spurs have never been PL champions. We win trophies regularly; Spurs have won two league cups in the PL era. Llorente has worked with Conte before. Llorente probably has more of a chance of getting minutes at Chelsea, who have only just signed Morata, than he does at Spurs, who have had Harry Kane as their undisputed no. 9 for the past three seasons.

It's a complete joke. We used to be the team that stole players from under the noses of our rivals because we offered more. Now it's happening to us.

I can take it when Lukaku chooses Man United, as they are a bigger club. I can even take it when Ox chooses Liverpool, as it was a positional reason, he supports Liverpool and they are a massive club. But I cannot take a player choosing little old Tottenham over us. No way.

1 minute ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Suppose Sandro is the least snub-like of the list I provided.

I would have liked one of those full backs that snubbed us, but we got Zappacosta wrapped up and I'm confident in him, as he sounds like a Conte signing as opposed to an Emelano signing.

I agree. I really can't believe Llorente slipped through our hands. We are the PL champions; Spurs have never been PL champions. We win trophies regularly; Spurs have won two league cups in the PL era. Llorente has worked with Conte before. Llorente probably has more of a chance of getting minutes at Chelsea, who have only just signed Morata, than he does at Spurs, who have had Harry Kane as their undisputed no. 9 for the past three seasons.

It's a complete joke. We used to be the team that stole players from under the noses of our rivals because we offered more. Now it's happening to us.

I can take it when Lukaku chooses Man United, as they are a bigger club. I can even take it when Ox chooses Liverpool, as it was a positional reason, he supports Liverpool and they are a massive club. But I cannot take a player choosing little old Tottenham over us. No way.

Yeah I don't get it either. If a 32 yr old back up striker is the only thing I'm chapped about right now I'll take it. If we get Drinkwater, I'm happy with our midfield. When Hazard returns (scored for Belgium today), Pedro or Willian will go to the bench so there's small depth there (same as last year but we were lucky with injuries). Personally, I like Willian over Pedro. The back line has the most depth on our team. Striker is heavily dependent on Morata as I think Michy sucks as starter and back up. Moses doesn't impress me much so hopefully Zappa steps in for him. I'm OK with where we're at now, but a couple more moves wouldn't have hurt. 

4 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

[...]

D'aww. Clearly though he's thinking of the future not the past.

10 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Barkley to Chelsea is off. Fee agreed with Everton, Barkley had a medical but then changed his mind.

eta. uncertainty over whether Barkley changed his mind or failed his medical.

So what you're saying is, Barkley was in a promising-looking position but failed to deliver?

Story of his career.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

D'aww. Clearly though he's thinking of the future not the past.

Considering we still beat Tottenham at Wembley this season, despite our supposed meltdown, considering they still can't win at all at Wembley for love or money, and have dropped more points there this season than they did the whole of last at White Hart Lane, and considering we are above them in the league, the present is better at Chelsea and the future looks like more of the 'same old Tottenham'.

Always in our shadow.

So Arsenal make a profit in the transfer market, a maddening lack of ambition. Lacazette (46) and Kolasinac (free) come in, but Ox (35-40), Gabriel (10), Szczesny (10) and Gibbs (10) all offset that and more. We still have a bloated squad...Debuchy and one of Wilshere/Walcott probably should have gone as well. Then we could have bought Lemar and the net spend would still have been a figure Wenger could have stomached.

Goodness knows what would have happened if we sold Mustafi and Alexis as well. If this sort of thing goes on much longer, not only will we (obviously) lose Alexis, we're going to lose the next generation of stars like Bellerin etc to Barca as well. It'll be a directionless team packed full of unfulfilled and inconsistent players, and is already looking that way.

3 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Considering we still beat Tottenham at Wembley this season, despite our supposed meltdown, considering they still can't win at all at Wembley for love or money, and have dropped more points there this season than they did the whole of last at White Hart Lane, and considering we are above them in the league, the present is better at Chelsea and the future looks like more of the 'same old Tottenham'.

Always in our shadow.

Ever since 2003.

Fat pants Rooney nicked for drink drive, what a bell end. 

Aaaand the transfer window is over. Just in time to start the seaso.... umm, were we supposed to wait for you guys or should you... Nevermind, let's just play this crapfest out.

(Arsenal supporter here. In case there was any confusion) 

:( 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Ever since 2003.

Fat pants Rooney nicked for drink drive, what a bell end. 

Perhaps someone should tell him that retiring from England doesn't mean he's allowed to drive drunk?

Just a thought.

2 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Spurs have beaten us 5 times in the PL; we have beaten them 27 times, more than we have beaten any other PL team. Our supremacy runs further back than '03, I'm afraid.

Aaaah, you're one of them, think that football year zero was 92. 

41 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Aaaah, you're one of them, think that football year zero was 92. 

If we go back and include ancient history, Chelsea still out do Spurs with 68 victories against them compared to 51 defeats against them. Out do them 23 major honours to 17.

You get the point, I'm sure.

27 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

If we go back and include ancient history, Chelsea still out do Spurs with 68 victories against them compared to 51 defeats against them. Out do them 23 major honours to 17.

You get the point, I'm sure.

Yes i get the point, you have racked up lots of victories/trophies since Premier league era/Roman came along, but you spent most of your history being a shitty little nothing club whose claim to fame was hooliganism. 

Archived