Where is the prototype of Brienne in Martin's other works (possible spoiler) ?

beauty6

Hi people, I have seen a comment somewhere, that there is a work by GRRM, possibly a short story, which features a an unlucky knight. He or she tries to do the right thing all the time, but consistently fails their missions. He/she finally gets right only the last mission, but the most important one. The commenter hinted, Brienne might end that way, too. Do you have any idea which work of Martin it might be ? 

A meta question - should I ask in a different subforum ? Which one ? I chose this one, because I mean to use the answer to solve or come at peace with Brienne's cliffhanger in ADWD.

5 hours ago, beauty6 said:

Hi people, I have seen a comment somewhere, that there is a work by GRRM, possibly a short story, which features a an unlucky knight. He or she tries to do the right thing all the time, but consistently fails their missions. He/she finally gets right only the last mission, but the most important one. The commenter hinted, Brienne might end that way, too.

I have read many of George's past work, and honestly, this is one of his common themes used in a few of his stories. This and be careful what you wish for, and everything is about choice; good and bad, all of it. Sometimes these themes run strong along the other ones George is using. I agree that this is what we could see happening to Brienne in the current story.
I do remember a character in one story that stood out to me as very "Brienne", but I'd have to go back to see if I noted it anywhere.

5 hours ago, beauty6 said:

Do you have any idea which work of Martin it might be ? 

Maybe I could be of more help if I had a few more details. He uses the same major and minor themes and character archetypes over and over in his work. George does what he calls, "changing the furniture", of the story to carry it over between the genres. A laser pistol in one story is a sword in another type of thing. An aircar in one story is a dragon in another.

7 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I do remember a character in one story that stood out to me as very "Brienne", but I'd have to go back to see if I noted it anywhere.

Maybe I could be of more help if I had a few more details. 

Thanks for your response !

I have no details, it was really just a brief comment somewhere and I was not able to google it again. Only my impresion was, this time the character was the main protagonist, but I could be wrong even about that.

Anyway, it sounds like really hard times are awaiting poor Brienne, if GRRM does that repeatedly.

If you remember which one was more Brienne-ish than the rest of them, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Frundsberg said:

As GRRM knows his classics, i think one of his inspirations for Brienne was Bradamante.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradamante

Wow. That is a great find. This even accounts for the budding love and romance between Brienne and Jaime.

Thanks for sharing :)

Archived