Bran As Tool Of Extrapolation, Wiki Of Westeros

18 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

I think we will get only a little bit of this... not too much but a hint of the fact the WW have some purpose other than goons coming to destroy everything.  But just a hint.  Martin's books will detail more but not the show.  They have to make time for Bronn and  Clegane-Bowl and love stories.  :D

Yes, I can't see the show spending too much time on the Night King and his purpose.  I'm not even sure he will be humanized or explained in a way that I expect the books to do that with the White Walkers.  That being said, I think everyone involved in the show has to be aware that the Night King is not going to work as the major villain if he is given nothing to say or emote or no discernible motivations- I am imagining the big villain in the final season will probably be Cersei?

And to be fair to the show, Bronn is awesome and the majority of fans of the show probably care a heck of a lot more about him and Clegane-Bowl than they do for the Night King so I can understand why they'd pay more attention to that in the final episodes.  Honestly, I hope they do and leave the major twists regarding the White Walkers to GRRM and his books.

19 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

I'm not advocating spoilers, leaks or plundered scripts.... but a lot of people are saying things like that are "fake" I don't get why.  My idea about Bran being the next NK does not come from those sources, however, filming of S8 is happening in October which means there ARE scripts that exist.  You don't go to shoot things without a script :D

yeah, I know, my point is that the spoilers have used this theory from other people, not the other way around

Well, I didn0t believe the spoilers of last year and they turned out to be true, but I have read them and there are lot of inconsistencies and they start saying that the attack happened in Castle Black, where Tormund and Beric were, which is false. The ending involves Tyrion and Missandei having sex. There are other things, really weird things. That's why I'm 99.99% sure that they are fake.

12 minutes ago, princess_snow said:

Yeah I agree. IF we get the books lol. Im not overly keen for Cleganebowl tbh. I mean I really want to see the Mountain get taken out dont get me wrong but not necessarily by his bro. 

I dom't like Cleganbowl either although the Mountain should be defeated. I hope it happens in an unconventional way, like Sandor trying to defend people he loves or overcoming his fear with fire (the mountain is like a wight after all, or similar). Not just, let's fight.

6 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

Yes, I can't see the show spending too much time on the Night King and his purpose.  I'm not even sure he will be humanized or explained in a way that I expect the books to do that with the White Walkers.  That being said, I think everyone involved in the show has to be aware that the Night King is not going to work as the major villain if he is given nothing to say or emote or no discernible motivations- I am imagining the big villain in the final season will probably be Cersei?

And to be fair to the show, Bronn is awesome and the majority of fans of the show probably care a heck of a lot more about him and Clegane-Bowl than they do for the Night King so I can understand why they'd pay more attention to that in the final episodes.  Honestly, I hope they do and leave the major twists regarding the White Walkers to GRRM and his books.

yes, IIrc they said that the wws are just.....simple villains? Maybe it was a red herring and they will reveal something more though,

I also think they will make Cersei the last villain

3 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I dom't like Cleganbowl either although the Mountain should be defeated. I hope it happens in an unconventional way, like Sandor trying to defend people he loves or overcoming his fear with fire (the mountain is like a wight after all, or similar). Not just, let's fight.

:thumbsup: Exactly. It would feel extremely cringey if they did that. In which case it may likely happen lol !

58 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

there is already a thread about it; I don't think it's plausible since time travelling is not possible.

Well, we've already seen "time travel" in the show.  Bran is not physically travelling through time, but he projects his mind, and that is what the theory that Bran is the Night King is based on. (I have now looked into the theory pretty extensively)

Regarding time travel in what we generally call the "real world," here are my understandings:

Actually, time travel IS possible.  In fact, it's been known for a very long time that time travel into the future is, theoretically, very simple and very easy:  All you have to do is go real fast.  Sounds strange, but it is true.  For example, if you were to get on a spaceship and travel near the speed of light away from the Earth (say, maybe, 20 light years of distance), then turn around and come back to Earth, you would find that FAR more time has passed on Earth than passed for you (basically, you would have travelled into the future, perhaps hundreds of years, perhaps even more)  Ever see the original "Planet of the Apes" movie, from about 50 years ago?  SPOILER:  The entire premise of the movie is based on this, and it is rock solid science.

Now, what about time travel into the past?  For a long time I thought that was not possible, but no, actually, modern science seems to indicate that can be done, too, by a variety of possible means, most of which, that I'm aware of, involve tremendous gravitational forces and/or wormholes.  (For example, at the center of our galaxy, the Milky Way, there is an enormous black hole, somewhere between 2 million and 4 million times the mass of our Sun.   I've seen theories that if you go there and do certain things, you will travel backwards in time.  I've also heard that, in theory, we could construct a machine to travel back in time right now, IN THEORY, but it would be the size of our entire solar system.) 

Granted, travelling into the past is still largely theoretical, but travelling into the future is rock solid science, and simple to do, IF you have the means to travel fast enough

Also noteworthy to this discussion is that "time"is just another dimension.  Indeed, my understanding is that in a VERY real sense, "space" and "time: are ACTUALLY just aspects of the same thing, sometimes called the "space-time continuum" or the "fabric of space-time."  As such, it thus stands to reason that we SHOULD be able to travel through the "time dimension," just as we DO travel through time itself every day (living our lives), and travel through other dimensions every day, too (minimalyl, the three dimensions of what we normally perceive as "three dimensional space").  (I could expound more on this, but I will stop now.)

6 minutes ago, Cron said:

Well, we've already seen "time travel" in the show.  Bran is not physically travelling through time, but he projects his mind, and that is what the theory that Bran is the Night King is based on. (I have now looked into the theory pretty extensively)

Regarding time travel in what we generally call the "real world," here are my understandings:

Actually, time travel IS possible.  In fact, it's been known for a very long time that time travel into the future is, theoretically, very simple and very easy:  All you have to do is go real fast.  Sounds strange, but it is true.  For example, if you were to get on a spaceship and travel near the speed of light away from the Earth (say, maybe, 20 light years of distance), then turn around and come back to Earth, you would find that FAR more time has passed on Earth than passed for you (basically, you would have travelled into the future, perhaps hundreds of years, perhaps even more)  Ever see the original "Planet of the Apes" movie, from about 50 years ago?  SPOILER:  The entire premise of the movie is based on this, and it is rock solid science.

Now, what about time travel into the past?  For a long time I thought that was not possible, but no, actually, modern science seems to indicate that can be done, too, by a variety of possible means, most of which, that I'm aware of, involve tremendous gravitational forces and/or wormholes.  (For example, at the center of our galaxy, the Milky Way, there is an enormous black hole, somewhere between 2 million and 4 million times the mass of our Sun.   I've seen theories that if you go there and do certain things, you will travel backwards in time.  I've also heard that, in theory, we could construct a machine to travel back in time right now, IN THEORY, but it would be the size of our entire solar system.) 

Granted, travelling into the past is still largely theoretical, but travelling into the future is rock solid science, and simple to do, IF you have the means to travel fast enough

Also noteworthy to this discussion is that "time"is just another dimension.  Indeed, my understanding is that in a VERY real sense, "space" and "time: are ACTUALLY just aspects of the same thing, sometimes called the "space-time continuum" or the "fabric of space-time."  As such, it thus stands to reason that we SHOULD be able to travel through the "time dimension," just as we DO travel through time itself every day (living our lives), and travel through other dimensions every day, too (minimalyl, the three dimensions of what we normally perceive as "three dimensional space").  (I could expound more on this, but I will stop now.)

Ive always been fascinated by time travel. It can get really confusing for me though. Ive seen all the Planet of the Apes series original and current and watched the tv series.

What confused me about Hold the Door ep was the loop. Can you try to explain that for me so it makes sense ? Are there two ways time travel are done I cant recall the theories now perhaps you can assist me ?

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

hahaha, I dunno it means "party" or "yeahh" I suppose, although the guy is like a comnunist for some reason......

agreewith the bolded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhhh.  "Communist and' "party," huh?  Like the "communist party"?

I see.

You are teaching me a lot.

Thank you very much.

39 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

the major villain if he is given nothing to say or emote or no discernible motivations- I am imagining the big villain in the final season will probably be Cersei?

I envision the ultimate enemy as Eurine (I choose to spell him that way LOL).  Cersei's arc will be way to involved for her to just keep being this ugly "I care about nothing" villain.  She will be dealt with and I really believe Eurine will assume power and he will be the final obstacle at King's Landing.  It's obvious now no one cares or will protest who sits on the Iron Throne.  No one cares about succession or what House belongs there (yawn) we haven't even seen a common folk person in KL for seasons...

So whether it is that Cersei needs Eurine to procure his fleet and marries him but plans to kill him.... he will double cross her OR she will get killed before she is able to kill him which means he would sit on the Throne.... sorry, I just see it that way.  Cersei will lose total control and just "lose it" and she has made countless mistakes (everything shes does backfires).

I can see Eurine then having the Gold Company at his disposal and his fleet, then the battle will be with him as the major villain right at the end.  Like, the BIG battles will happen in that scenario if I am right.

51 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Tyrion and Missandei having sex. There are other things, really weird things. That's why I'm 99.99% sure that they are fake.

Haven't heard that but I can see Tyrion and Missandei ending up together... Greyworm dies in battle... and you have to think long term, if those two get together, you have a rebuilding of House Lannister.  And who else in the surviving people we have right now can you see Tryion ending up with?

AND the show (and others) have portrayed a penchant for portraying a person as having sex for the first time with someone (thanks Geryworm and your "many things") and then ending up with someone else.......... because they don't want to or think it is unreasonable to think that a virgin person can be with someone long-term unless they have had sex already.  LOL I cannot explain this but I see it in some shows, and especially in GOT.  Could you see a virginal Jon (thanks Ygrette) going to Daenyers on the ship?  It would just be wrong LOL

9 minutes ago, princess_snow said:

Ive always been fascinated by time travel. It can get really confusing for me though. Ive seen all the Planet of the Apes series original and current and watched the tv series.

What confused me about Hold the Door ep was the loop. Can you try to explain that for me so it makes sense ? Are there two ways time travel are done I cant recall the theories now perhaps you can assist me ?

Well, I'm happy to discuss these things more, if I can, but frankly I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

What do you mean by "the loop"?  Are you talking about how Hodor was caught in some sort of mental loop, repeating himself over and over, or are you talking about some sort of theoretical paradox implicated by Bran's time travel?

Also, when you ask "are there two ways time travel can be done," do you mean in the world of ASOIAF/GoT, or in the "real world"?  If you mean on the show, as far as I know, Bran can see anything in the past or present that he wants to, whenever he wants to, using his greenseer power.  (In the books, I thought that was limited to what he could see via the weirwood "network," but as near as I can tell, in the show, it appears to be completely unlimited in scope for Bran.)

We also know Bran CAN see the future (he saw Drogon over King's Landing in a vision long before it happened or will happen), but it is unclear to me how much control over this, if any, he has.   Can he view whatever he wants in the future whenever he wants? Dunno.

By the way, note that Bran is far from the only person in ASOIAF/GoT who can see the future.  Several characters do so, via "prophecy," definitely including, but not necessarily limited to, Rhaegar, Mirri Maz Duur and Maggy the Frog.

Not sure if I've "answered" your questions or not, but if not, feel free to let me know more exactly what you are asking, and I will do my best to help (as will, perhaps, other people here, too)

6 minutes ago, Cron said:

Well, I'm happy to discuss these things more, if I can, but frankly I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

What do you mean by "the loop"?  Are you talking about how Hodor was caught in some sort of mental loop, repeating himself over and over, or are you talking about some sort of theoretical paradox implicated by Bran's time travel?

Also, when you ask "are there two ways time travel can be done," do you mean in the world of ASOIAF/GoT, or in the "real world"?  If you mean on the show, as far as I know, Bran can see anything in the past or present that he wants to, whenever he wants to, using his greenseer power.  (In the books, I thought that was limited to what he could see via the weirwood "network," but as near as I can tell, in the show, it appears to be completely unlimited in scope for Bran.)

We also know Bran CAN see the future (he saw Drogon over King's Landing in a vision long before it happened or will happen), but it is unclear to me how much control over this, if any, he has.   Can he view whatever he wants in the future whenever he wants? Dunno.

By the way, note that Bran is far from the only person in ASOIAF/GoT who can see the future.  Several characters do so, via "prophecy," definitely including, but not necessarily limited to, Rhaegar, Mirri Maz Duur and Maggy the Frog.

Not sure if I've "answered" your questions or not, but if not, feel free to let me know more exactly what you are asking, and I will do my best to help (as will, perhaps, other people here, too)

Sorry, I wasn't very articulate in my post.

I think I mean the paraodox of time travel in relation to Hodor.  Hodor effectively was Hodor before Bran even went to the 3ER. Does this all mean the story is being told from the future ? 

Time Travel!

omg I love almost anything with time travel.

With the instance of Hodur (and when Ned heard Bran) the 3-eyed raven said "the ink is already dry".

What this means to me is:

Bran is not even born, Ned is entering the tower <-----------TIME-----------------> Bran has the vision of Ned going into the tower and speaks to Ned

Ned always heard Bran (ink is dry).  Even though Bran was not even yet born.  When visiting the past and affecting the past, that past has always been the truth.  At least that is one theory. 

Hodur is a little harder to explain... and I think it's possible the show took some liberties.  To me, it had something to do with the idea Bran was warged into Hodur when the event happened?  But that cannot be explained!  None of it can be explained because time travel is WAAAAY theoretical.

The idea Hodur freaked out as a young man and became speechless, repeating the same words as he would later speak at his own death, that's a mystery to me and I would LOVE to hear what others think.  Bran being warged into Hodur at his death, then visiting Hodur at a young age could have - at that moment of visiting him - CAUSED Hodur to convulse and become the speechless Hodur we all love from that moment forward.

As in, Bran's presence there (because he was warged into Hodur at Hodur's death) caused him to become "Hodur" instead of Willis.  If this is correct (and I am totally guessing) if Bran showed up there a year later or earlier, the event of Willis/Hodur would have happened THEN.

2 hours ago, princess_snow said:

An awesome show that entertained 2 different ideas of Time Travel was a show on the Showcase network called Continuum.  I loved that show!

Dystopian future where corporations run everything.  Dissidents/criminals go back in time (or sent back in time, deciding) to change the future.  They are told/believe that since they have knowledge of things that lead to their present, they can go back and change specific things to stop it from happening.  Then the show explores the other side that those people ALWAYS went back, and every action they took actually helped bring about their "present' they went back to try to change.  So, if they never went back, none of it would have happened.

Read about the show and check it out if you get a chance!  Totally worth it.  :D

58 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

An awesome show that entertained 2 different ideas of Time Travel was a show on the Showcase network called Continuum.  I loved that show!

Dystopian future where corporations run everything.  Dissidents/criminals go back in time (or sent back in time, deciding) to change the future.  They are told/believe that since they have knowledge of things that lead to their present, they can go back and change specific things to stop it from happening.  Then the show explores the other side that those people ALWAYS went back, and every action they took actually helped bring about their "present' they went back to try to change.  So, if they never went back, none of it would have happened.

Read about the show and check it out if you get a chance!  Totally worth it.  :D

Hey thanks I will def check it out. I loved 12 Monkeys too. Have you watched Outlander ?

On 31.08.2017 at 6:19 PM, Iron Mother said:

Is Bran Dead?  How do you feel about this? 

I don't think that he's dead. Not literally, and not even in a sense of personality loss.

Imagine that you're Bran the 3ER, and you know everything. Each person's personality and character is formed by individual life experiences, world view, and events that happened in one's life. Bran's inner world now is formed by individual life experiences of EVERYONE. He didn't stop being Bran, he became Bran+Everyone else <- and that new being is more than Bran, which is why he said that he isn't Bran anymore. And he is so impassive, because for him all those petty fights of humans are insignificant now, when he knows what really matters, and what is just a passing trifles. On a scale of entire world, and humankind survival, who rules what house, who sits on Iron Throne, who's good or who's bad doesn't matter.

Also he understands everyone, and everyone's actions, because he see world and events that happened, and are happening, with all people, from their view point. So he knows, for example, that Cersei really loves Jaime, that she loved her children, that she had to do what she did to protect her family, and that Starks are her enemies, and every single one of them should be exterminated, because North remembers, because they will never forgive Lannisters for Ned's execution (even though she herself wasn't entirely informed about what Joffrey planned to do, until he gave that order to cut off Ned's head. (Not that she was against it).). Everything that Cersei did, was justifyed from her viewpoint. And everyone else is also like that.

"Lannister, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell, they’re all just spokes on a wheel. This one’s on top and that one’s on top and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground. We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel." <- similar to this, in bigger picture it doesn't matter who's on top, or who's sitting on Iron Throne, the only thing that matters is life. And Night's King is coming to destroy life. So only thing that still matters to Bran is saving life. Everything else is like ants farm - they're actively doing something, they think that their tasks are important, but all that skittering is insignificant.

Bran is a being with higher mind, so mundane matters doesn't concern his new found self.

10 hours ago, Cron said:

I had never read that time travel to the past is possible, and the black holes as far as I'm concerned as an amateur fan of astrophysics, are only related to how quickly time passes for you.

Time travel has not been established in the show, we only have seen how Bran's mind as a some sort of phycisal entity can go there, but not seen actual characters do it, which would be the Night King doing it if that was possible (based on this theory) so it can't be possible.

What we have seen is people from the past noticing his mind/ presence there. Whether he can influence it and or change the past by doing it (then maybe some sort of minimum time travel could be stated that it exists as a result of that) it's still ambiguous.

8 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

Time Travel!

omg I love almost anything with time travel.

With the instance of Hodur (and when Ned heard Bran) the 3-eyed raven said "the ink is already dry".

What this means to me is:

Bran is not even born, Ned is entering the tower <-----------TIME-----------------> Bran has the vision of Ned going into the tower and speaks to Ned

Ned always heard Bran (ink is dry).  Even though Bran was not even yet born.  When visiting the past and affecting the past, that past has always been the truth.  At least that is one theory. 

Hodur is a little harder to explain... and I think it's possible the show took some liberties.  To me, it had something to do with the idea Bran was warged into Hodur when the event happened?  But that cannot be explained!  None of it can be explained because time travel is WAAAAY theoretical.

The idea Hodur freaked out as a young man and became speechless, repeating the same words as he would later speak at his own death, that's a mystery to me and I would LOVE to hear what others think.  Bran being warged into Hodur at his death, then visiting Hodur at a young age could have - at that moment of visiting him - CAUSED Hodur to convulse and become the speechless Hodur we all love from that moment forward.

As in, Bran's presence there (because he was warged into Hodur at Hodur's death) caused him to become "Hodur" instead of Willis.  If this is correct (and I am totally guessing) if Bran showed up there a year later or earlier, the event of Willis/Hodur would have happened THEN.

Bran was warging past Hodor while Present Hodor in his last moments was not warged (as stated by the members of the cast in the interviews from 2016, they are in the ]Book Spoilers All] Bran's Powers thread from the General GOT subforum)) so that scene is very difficult to explain.

At most we can say that Bran can have an influence on the past (with the presence of the wind) and maybe warging people, but I think that his warging to Hodor was related to his first warging to old Hodor, (as some kind of unique experience), I don't think it will be repeated or that the show will explain it further unless that's the third twuist of the show-that Bran is basically the guy who can do everything (I hope it's not the case, as much as I love time travel adventures).

7 minutes ago, Megorova said:

I don't think that he's dead. Not literally, and not even in a sense of personality loss.

The interviews to Isaac literally say that the showrunners demanded him to play him as if his personality still existed there, so nope, he is not dead.

@Iron Mother and @princess_snow and @Meera of Tarth

Great conversation.  I certainly do not claim to have all the answers, but here's my understanding of a few things:

(1)  In GoT, Bran accidentally did heavy damage to Hodor's (Wyllis') brain.  There is no doubt in my mind that Bran caused the damage that limited Wyllis to being able to only say one word for the rest of his life ("Hodor," which is, of course, a sort of contraction for "Hold the door").

My understanding is that some "wires got crossed" (figuratively speaking), or something overloaded b/c Bran was greenseeing and warging into Hodor (past and/or future Hodor) at the same time.  For me, the fact that the word Wyllis was locked in on ("Hodor") was a contraction of what Hodor was hearing in the future ("Hold the door") makes it 100% certain that the link to the future through Bran caused the damage to Wyllis' brain (note that it seems beyond dispute that "Hodor" is a contraction of "Hold the door," since, on the show, we are shown Wyllis' words "morphing" from "Hold the door" into "Hodor," as he repeats it over and over and over, starting out with "Hold the door" and bit by bit gets to "Hodor," which he is saying at the end.  (Also noteworthy here is that we have been told what happened to Hodor is canon, and will happen in the books, as I strongly recall)

(2)  Regarding travel into the future in the "real world":  My understanding is that this is a LOT more than abstract theory.  In fact, my understanding is that scientists have confirmed that it is scientific fact that you CAN travel into the future.

If you look into Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity, I believe you will find that he said space and time are actually slightly different aspects of the same thing (the space-time continuum), AND that the passage of time is relative to how bodies move through space relative to each other.  Basically, the faster you are going, the faster time passes for objects NOT moving as fast as you.  This is confirmed, as I strongly understand it.  Thus, as I believe I mentioned above, if you got in a spaceship and travelled away from the Earth very fast (say, near the speed of light), then turned around and returned, you would find that more time has passed on Earth than passed for you, and thus you would have travelled into the future. (For example, you might go on a trip through space in which you aged a few years, and then returned to Earth to find that the year was 2117, one hundred years after you left.  These numbers are not precise, just a hypothetical example.)

(3)  Regarding time travel into the past in the "real world":  This is more theoretical, but my understanding is that many scientists now believe that, yes, it IS possible to travel into the past.  Basically, the physics, as I understand it, depend mostly on enormous amounts of gravity.   The "problem," though is potential paradoxes (thus, finally, almost bringing me around to Hodor, which I'll get to in a minute.

As I understand it, there are two main theories that can resolve paradoxes of time travel into the past.  One would hold that when Bran went into the past and changed it, he created a timeline split, which effectively created an alternate reality.  From that point forward, what we know as the "universe" of GoT, we are following that alternate reality.

The second main theory that can resolve apparent paradoxes from time travel into the past says that ALL imaginable and conceivable realities ALREADY exist, and all Bran did was travel through a space-time dimension (the 5th or 6th dimension) to an alternate reality destined to proceed as we saw on t.v. screens.  (This relates to 11-dimensional theories of the multiverse, which hold that ANY and ALL "universes" or alternate realities you can imagine already DO exist.  This is not just science fiction, by the way.  MANY leading scientists on our planet right now believe it is true, although the math and physics are beyond my ability to even fully understand, much less explain here.)

So.   Under either theory to resolve paradoxes, there IS a version of "reality" in which Wyllis never turned into "Hodor," and thus there is no paradox.  If Bran caused a timeline split, there is still a timeline where Wyllis never turned into Hodor, it's just NOT the timeline we are following on the show.  Similarly, under the "truly infinite 11-dimensional multiverse" theory, which postulates that ALL possible versions of reality not only CAN exist, but actually already DO exist somewhere and "somewhen" in the space-time continuum, there IS a version of reality where Wyllis never turned into Hodor, and thus, once again, there is no paradox.

Also, for anyone interested in time travel who hasn't seen all 3 "Back to the Future" movies with Michael J. Fox, I would highly recommend them.  They are VERY light on science (to put it mildly), but a LOT of fun, and they can be VERY helpful in becoming accustomed to thinking fourth-dimensionally.

Final note:  For anyone reading this who would like to learn more about this stuff, I would recommend Googling "einstein's theory of special relativity," "how to think in 10 dimensions" (there are some GREAT short videos that explain some of this stuff), and "11-dimensional theories of the multiverse."  

Archived