Patterns in wounds and deaths - please help compile a list.

Seams

I searched for 'red mouth' and this was one thing I noticed - at the Whispers, there is imagery of the castle as a mouth with red teeth - perhaps just indicating the danger to Brienne of entering, or foreshadowing her later encounter with Biter. The death of Timeon at the Whispers also involves a bloody mouth.

The castle was built of old, unmortared stones, no two the same. Moss grew thick in clefts between the rocks, and trees were growing up from the foundations. Most old castles had a godswood. By the look of it, the Whispers had little else. Brienne walked her mare to the cliff's edge, where the curtain wall had collapsed. Mounds of poisonous red ivy grew over the heap of broken stones. She tied the horse to a tree and edged as close to the precipice as she dared. Fifty feet below, the waves were swirling in and over the remnants of a shattered tower. Behind it, she glimpsed the mouth of a large cavern. 

They made a circuit of the walls. The castle had been triangular, with square towers at each corner. Its gates were badly rotted. When Brienne tugged at one, the wood cracked and peeled away in long wet splinters, and half the gate came down on her. She could see more green gloom inside. The forest had breached the walls, and swallowed keep and bailey. But there was a portcullis behind the gate, its teeth sunk deep into the soft muddy ground. The iron was red with rust, but it held when Brienne rattled it. "No one's used this gate for a long time."

Timeon was still trying to fight as she pulled her blade from him, its fullers running red with blood. He clawed at his belt and came up with a dagger, so Brienne cut his hand off. That one was for Jaime. "Mother have mercy," the Dornishman gasped, the blood bubbling from his mouth and spurting from his wrist. "Finish it. Send me back to Dorne, you bloody bitch." 
She did

Later, when she fights Biter at the Inn of the Crossroads, and Gendry saves her with his spear.
Brienne's chest was burning, and the storm was behind her eyes, blinding her. Bones ground against each other inside of her. Biter's mouth gaped open, impossibly wide. She saw his teeth, yellow and crooked, filed into points. When they closed on the soft meat of her cheek, she hardly felt it. She could feel herself spiraling down into the dark. I cannot die yet, she told herself, there is something I still need to do.

Biter's mouth tore free, full of blood and flesh. He spat, grinned, and sank his pointed teeth into her flesh again. This time he chewed and swallowed. He is eating me, she realized, but she had no strength left to fight him any longer. She felt as if she were floating above herself, watching the horror as if it were happening to some other woman, to some stupid girl who thought she was a knight. It will be finished soon, she told herself. Then it will not matter if he eats me. Biter threw back his head and opened his mouth again, howling, and stuck his tongue out at her. It was sharply pointed, dripping blood, longer than any tongue should be. Sliding from his mouth, out and out and out, red and wet and glistening, it made a hideous sight, obscene. His tongue is a foot long, Brienne thought, just before the darkness took her. Why, it looks almost like a sword.

On 03/09/2017 at 10:41 AM, Springwatch said:

Bite injuries sound interesting. Bites to the hand alone:

• Lady Hornwood bites off her own fingers.
  • The Greatjon has two fingers bitten off by Grey Wind.
  • Nymeria 'nips eagerly' at the hand of Arya. (escaping needlework, AGOT)
  • Drogon bites Irri's hand. (in the ship's cabin, ASOS)
  • Ramsay's bitch Helicent took Reek's hand in her jaws, and 'worried it so fiercely Reek feared he might lose two more fingers.' (ADOD)

Forgot the obvious one: Catelyn bites the assasin's hand - a deep bite, graphically described. If the Hand of the King represents the King's agency, perhaps Catelyn's bite marks her thwarting the assasin's purpose. Maybe Nymeria and Helicent are demanding action in this pattern also.

Cat collects injuries of her own in this incident: a hank of hair torn out, probably a mark to the throat, and cuts to her hand leaving it permanently stiff with the two smallest fingers unable to move. She has been accused of acting clumsily from this point on - she certainly struggles to achieve her goals.

Stiffness might be another good injury to add to the list. Jon has a stiff hand from the tower fire. Tyrion constantly complains of stiff legs.

If you can bear it, there's a definitive list of belly stabbings in this thread here: Sansa's Ultimate Fate. (Basically everybody dies.)

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

Turned into food:

The famous singer stew

The Frey pies

People Ramsay feeds to his dogs

Brienne's cheek

Arguably Vargo's ear

Osha's group of wildling being eaten by the direwolves 

Warged animals eating people (most notably Summer with Bran inside, and Arya's wolf dreams)

The mysterious "pork" provided by Coldhands.

Soldiers in Stannis's army eating the dead.

That's all I can think of for now (in this category) 

Jojen paste? lol maybe?

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, Castellan said:

GRRM uses the red mouth of people who chew sour leaf as an image of impending death, or warning of death. He does it in the hedge knight, in the story about Lady Rohan, he sees his nasty colleague with a red mouth before any of the trouble starts I think, and I think he later sees all the boy recruits to their ragtag fighting group chewing it. I don't think they do die though, as Dunk finds another way round the problem.

In ASOIF I think its Masha Heddle who has it in the only scene we see her in, and she is later killed on Tywin's orders. Hope I have got this correct, should have checked.

The image of a 'red smile' is the same image often used for a cut throat.

PS I search red smile in a search of ice and fire...

Reveal hidden contents

A Game of Thrones - Catelyn V 

She still remembered the innkeep, a fat woman named Masha Heddle who chewed sourleaf night and day and seemed to have an endless supply of smiles and sweet cakes for the children. The sweet cakes had been soaked with honey, rich and heavy on the tongue, but how Catelyn had dreaded those smiles. The sourleaf had stained Masha's teeth a dark red, and made her smile a bloody horror.

It was near dark when they reached it, at the crossroads north of the great confluence of the Trident. Masha Heddle was fatter and greyer than Catelyn remembered, still chewing her sourleaf, but she gave them only the most cursory of looks, with nary a hint of her ghastly red smile. "Two rooms at the top of the stair, that's all there is," she said, chewing all the while. 

[but she does smile at Tyrion] 

Masha Heddle was bowing and smiling her hideous red smile. "I'm sorry, m'lord, truly, we're full up, every room."

A Game of Thrones - Tyrion IV 

"It might be said that your death is the point, Lannister," Catelyn Stark replied.
"I think not," Tyrion said. "If you wanted me dead, you had only to say the word, and one of these staunch friends of yours would gladly have given me a redsmile." He looked at Kurleket, but the man was too dim to taste the mockery. 
"The Starks do not murder men in their beds."

A Game of Thrones - Tyrion VII 

Shagga was gaping back; beyond a certainty, he had never seen so many men, horses, and weapons in all his days. The rest of the mountain brigands did a better job of guarding their faces, but Tyrion had no doubts that they were full as much in awe. Better and better. The more impressed they were with the power of the Lannisters, the easier they would be to command.

The inn and its stables were much as he remembered, though little more than tumbled stones and blackened foundations remained where the rest of the village had stood. A gibbet had been erected in the yard, and the body that swung there was covered with ravens. At Tyrion's approach they took to the air, squawking and flapping their black wings. He dismounted and glanced up at what remained of the corpse. The birds had eaten her lips and eyes and most of her cheeks, baring her stained red teeth in a hideous smile. "A room, a meal, and a flagon of wine, that was all I asked," he reminded her with a sigh of reproach.

A Game of Thrones - Eddard XIII 

They had done what they could to close him up, but it was nowhere near enough. The boar must have been a fearsome thing. It had ripped the king from groin to nipple with its tusks. The wine-soaked bandages that Grand Maester Pycelle had applied were already black with blood, and the smell off the wound was hideous. Ned's stomach turned. He let the blanket fall.
"Stinks," Robert said. "The stink of death, don't think I can't smell it. Bastard did me good, eh? But I … I paid him back in kind, Ned." The king's smile was as terrible as his wound, his teeth red. "Drove a knife right through his eye. Ask them if I didn't. Ask them."

Robert managed a weak red smile. "At the least, they will say … this last thing … this I did right. You won't fail me. You'll rule now. You'll hate it, worse than I did … but you'll do well. Are you done with the scribbling?"

A Clash of Kings - Arya III 

"I don't care. I want to go home."
"Been bringing men to the Wall for close on thirty years." Froth shone on Yoren's lips, like bubbles of blood. "All that time, I only lost three. Old man died of a fever, city boy got snakebit taking a shit, and one fool tried to kill me in my sleep and got a red smile for his trouble." He drew the dirk across his throat, to show her. "Three in thirty years." He spat out the old sourleaf. "A ship now, might have been wiser. No chance o' finding more men on the way, but still . . . clever man, he'd go by ship, but me . . . thirty years I been taking this kingsroad." He sheathed his dirk. "Go to sleep, boy. Hear me?"

A Storm of Swords - Catelyn III 

"Leave him!" Robb's voice rang with command. Umber stepped back away from the captive.

Lord Karstark spit out a broken tooth. "Yes, Lord Umber, leave me to the king. He means to give me a scolding before he forgives me. That's how he deals with treason, our King in the North." He smiled a wet red smile. "Or should I call you the King Who Lost the North, Your Grace?"

A Storm of Swords - Sansa VI 

"The hidden dagger."

"There's a clever girl." He smiled, his thin lips bright red from the pomegranate seeds. "When the Imp sent off her guards, the queen had Ser Lancel hire sellswords for her. Lancel found her the Kettleblacks, which delighted your little lord husband, since the lads were in his pay through his man Bronn." He chuckled. "But it was me who told Oswell to get his sons to King's Landing when I learned that Bronn was looking for swords. Three hidden daggers, Alayne, now perfectly placed." 
"So one of the Kettleblacks put the poison in Joff's cup?" Ser Osmund had been near the king all night, she remembered.

A Feast for Crows - Brienne II 

"I am looking for my sister. She's highborn, only three-and-ten, a pretty maid with blue eyes and auburn hair. You may have seen her traveling with a man. A knight, perhaps a fool. There's gold for the man who helps me find her."
"Gold?" The brother gave her a red smile. "A bowl of that crab stew would be enough reward for me, but I fear I cannot help you. Fools I've met, and plenty, but not so many pretty maids." He cocked his head and thought a moment. "There was a fool at Maidenpool, now that I think of it. He was clad in rags and dirt, as near as I could tell, but under the dirt was motley."

A Feast for Crows - Cersei III 

(at Tommen's wedding)
"What a disappointment," Lady Olenna complained loudly. "I was hoping for 'The Rains of Castamere.'"

Whenever Cersei looked at the old crone, the face of Maggy the Frog seemed to float before her eyes, wrinkled and terrible and wise. All old women look alike, she tried to tell herself, that's all it is. In truth, the bent-back sorceress had looked nothing like the Queen of Thorns, yet somehow the sight of Lady Olenna's nasty little smile was enough to put her back in Maggy's tent again. She could still remember the smell of it, redolent with queer eastern spices, and the softness of Maggy's gums as she sucked the blood from Cersei's finger. Queen you shall be, the old woman had promised, with her lips still wet and redand glistening, until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear.

A Feast for Crows - Samwell V 

"Kill him?" Sam said, shocked. "Why?"
"If I tell you, they may need to kill you too." Marywn smiled a ghastly smile, the juice of the sourleaf running red between his teeth. "Who do you think killed all the dragons the last time around? Gallant dragonslayers armed with swords?" He spat. "The world the Citadel is building has no place in it for sorcery or prophecy or glass candles, much less for dragons. Ask yourself why Aemon Targaryen was allowed to waste his life upon the Wall, when by rights he should have been raised to archmaester. His blood was why. He could not be trusted. No more than I can." 
"What will you do?" asked Alleras, the Sphinx.

A Dance with Dragons - A Ghost in Winterfell 

Aenys Frey's mouth quivered with outrage. "Stark dishonored us. That is what you northmen had best remember."
Roose Bolton rubbed at his chapped lips. "This squabbling will not serve." He flicked his fingers at Theon. "You are free to go. Take care where you wander. Else it might be you we find upon the morrow, smiling a red smile." 

Also with Chett and crew in the Prologue of ASOS if IIRC.

We've met three Ulfs. The first was Ulf son of Umar, Tyrion's buddy from the Moon Brothers. At the end of the Battle of the Green Fork, his body lay in a pool of congealing blood, his arm gone at the elbow. Theon's man Ulf went "down with a crossbow bolt through the belly." And Ulf the White, was one of the Two Betrayers in the Dance of the Dragons. A man with a taste for wine, he was easily poisoned. I guess we could say his big mouth was the death of him. 

• 8 months later...

Crushed skulls:

Baby Aegon

princess Elia

Oberyn Martel

Aaron Santagar

Ser Aron Santagar had been found in a gutter, his head a red pulp inside a crushed helm.

and prince Baelor in "The Hedhe Knight"

All men of dornish blood, four of them - of Martell blood.

One-eyed

One eyed white horse Jaime rode during his escape.

Later one eyed mule watched him training with Payne.

The column kept its pace, north along the kingsroad, and each night Jaime found some private place to win himself more love bites. They fought inside a stable as a one-eyed mule looked on

Timett of Burned men

crone in Vaes Dothrak

knight  Philip Foote

lord Jonell Stark

Jack-Be-Lucky

Yna from Bravos

one of Varamyr's wolves

Bloodraven who believed take likeness of one-eyed dog

Aemond Targaryen

On 6/11/2018 at 4:42 AM, Pukisbaisals said:

Crushed skulls:

Baby Aegon

princess Elia

Oberyn Martel

Aaron Santagar

and prince Baelor in "The Hedhe Knight"

All men of dornish blood, four of them - of Martell blood.

One-eyed

One eyed white horse Jaime rode during his escape.

Later one eyed mule watched him training with Payne.

Timett of Burned men

crone in Vaes Dothrak

knight  Philip Foote

lord Jonell Stark

Jack-Be-Lucky

Yna from Bravos

one of Varamyr's wolves

Bloodraven who believed take likeness of one-eyed dog

Aemond Targaryen

Thanks for dredging up this thread, Pukisbaisals.

Your examples are excellent - I hadn't noticed that the skull-crushing was unique to Dornish people. I have expected for quite some time that we will see a "Humpty Dumpty" situation with an Aegon (or fAegon) falling off the Wall sometime in the final books - like the Egg that couldn't be put together again. But the pattern with other Dornish people dying similar deaths adds a new layer of meaning. I wonder what it means that the Martells received Ser Gregor's skull as proof that he had died?

The one-eyed examples are also great. This is such a common injury in GRRM's world. I would add Ser Waymar, whose eye is pierced by a shard from his own shattered sword in the AGoT prologue. The example of Timett also reminds me that I should have been on the lookout and created a category for self-inflected wounds in this giant (imaginary) spread sheet. There could be an interesting purpose for deliberately self-inflicted wounds such as those of the Burned Men or with Lady Hornwood eating her own fingers or possibly even with Maester Cressen drinking poison.

On 9/1/2017 at 5:24 PM, Lollygag said:

I'm working on a topic about red and/or bloody lips or mouths. It's a very consistent indicator of the character's serious intent to murder in that moment. This is a nice example: Sansa is beaten and her lip becomes bloody. She almost kills Joff. Sandor cleans the blood from her mouth and "the moment was gone".

On 9/1/2017 at 7:03 PM, Lollygag said:

Yeah, the red mouth, bloody mouth, the red smile and the sourleaf mouth have a rather complex meaning. I haven't figured the pattern yet, though the link to murder, or maybe someone's intention to murder, looks quite clear. In contrast, ear wounds or amputations might be a clear indication of not listening (stubbornness, arrogance whatever), not being able to hear, or not being able to understand.

It's interesting to see this sour leaf discussion again now that I've put some time into the color and fruit symbolism associated with the Rainbow Guard. Emmon Frey is one of three Emmons in the story, including Renly's yellow guard, Ser Emmon Cuy. Lemons are associated with healthy teeth (or, at least, dental hygiene) in ASOIAF but Emmon Frey seems to undermine that with his slimy red mouth full of sour leaf. (I wonder whether there's a pun on slime and smile? Of course there would be.)

Swords are also associated with smiles, oddly. When Arya finds she can't bring herself to throw needle into the canal in Braavos, she says it reminds her of Jon Snow's smile. This might fit with your observation that cutting someone's throat creates a red smile.

One thing that strikes me about this cluster of related images or symbols around smiles, lemons and sour red leaf (resulting in a red mouth) is that GRRM never mentions limes - an obvious candidate for a pun with smiles. I think this might be because the color green has an entirely different set of meanings and it would throw off his system of symbols to link limes to smiles. He does mention grapes and crushing of grapes (Saladhor Saan and Dunk), pomegranates (Littlefinger tells Sansa that he doesn't like to get the juice on his hands) and, of course, blood oranges (overripe ones drop all around Doran Martell and Arya throws one at Sansa's dress). GRRM uses many fruits in symbolic ways, but I don't think he mentions limes at all. (If someone has access to the Search site and wants to correct me on this, I welcome evidence to the contrary. I can't access the Search site on this computer. Oh, I see one I cited in a different thread - the crowd in Dorne throwing fruit at Doran and his entourage, to protest the death of beloved Prince Oberyn and the apparent lack of response from the Prince Doran. Lemons, limes and oranges are thrown. But this does show limes as weapons, not as something that is eaten, fwiw.)

Ser Loras, who is not associated with a single color, as Lord Commander of the Rainbow Guard, slays Emmon Cuy (yellow) and Robar Royce (red) because he believes they were derelict in their duties for not protecting Renly. They were standing guard at Renly's pavilion, sort of guarding the "mouth" of his tent. Jaime, boss of Loras as Lord Commander of the King's Guard, later helps Ser Loras to understand that he should not have killed Emmon and Robar.

Anyway. Complicating things, I realize. It is fun to grapple with a complex motif such as the "red mouths" symbolism you singled out, but it always leads me to new layers of symbolism.

What about hand injuries?

Catelyn in AGOT suffers deep cuts to her hand defending Bran.

Jon badly burns his hand fighting the wight towards the end of AGOT.

Jaime of course losing his hand.

Theon losing fingers.

Davos having his fingertips cut off.

Gared(the guy in the prologue in AGOT, who is later the dude Bran sees Ned execute) has fingers missing due to frostbite.

In AGOT the weirdwood's red leaves are described as "a thousand bloodstained hands"

A raven pecks at Sam's hand hard enough to draw blood. This is seen through Sam's pov in AFFC and later Jon's in ADWD

Joffrey's arm(not sure if that included his hand or not) was injured by Nymeria in AGOT

Tyrion steps on Marillon's fingers and presumably breaks them in AGOT

Grey Wind bit some fingers off Greatjon Umber

Arya smashes her fingers and rips off one of her thumbnails when she falls in AGOT

When Doreah gets sick and dies in Clash, her lips and hands break out in blood blisters

Arya cuts off some guy's fingers, and Hot Pie cuts off a guy's hands

Brienne cuts a guy's hand off.

Quorin Halfhand

Jon rips off this thumbnail while climbing in Clash.

Alayaya's hands are bound so tightly when Cersei has her caught that the circulation is cut off and she cries out in pain once the rope is cut and the blood returns to her hands

Joffrey accidentally cut himself on the Iron Throne

Someone looses a hand to Rakharo's arakh in ASOS

Lord Beric cuts his hand in ASOS

Sam mentions Satin tearing a thumbnail at the beginning of AFFC.

Brienne cuts Timion's hand off.

Victarion injures his hand in AFFC.

Cersei pricks her finger to have her fortune read by Maggy the Frog.

While warging into Summer, Bran notes bodies of men with missing hands.

The stone man with cracked grey hands oozing blood

(I know, I have too much time on my hands)

7 hours ago, JaneSnow said:

What about hand injuries?

This is exactly why I keep hoping for a master system that would explain all injuries. The hand stuff is so pervasive and seems to be important - are hand injuries all related? Are there fine distinctions between losing fingers, being cut, being burned, being frozen, etc?

In the first direwolf re-read, we hit upon the idea of kings taking fingers with the result that the maimed person becomes more loyal to the king: Grey Wind biting fingers off of Great Jon Umber's hand; Stannis cutting fingers off of Davos. But that raises the question of whether other people who have lost fingers to something other than a king somehow become more loyal to the person or force that maims them: Theon becomes Reek and completely obeys Ramsay in all things. Does Qhorin Halfhand somehow become loyal to wildlings after losing half of his hand in combat? He certainly does urge Jon to join the wildlings, so maybe this does fit. Gared is not loyal to the cold, but he does show a great respect for the damage it can inflict and caution about venturing too far to confront it.

I assume the hand injuries are tied to the Hand of the King symbolism - that the King empowers and relies upon someone else to do much of the actual work of running the kingdom.

There are also Houses with hand sigils - Glover, Gardener. Warriors wear lobstered gauntlets on their hands. House Baelish is located on The Fingers. Othor's hand is carried to King's Landing where it apparently dies. Illyrio wears many rings with different gems and Tyrion contemplates cutting off his fingers to get at those jewels. Nimble Dick Crabb and the Alchemist in the AFfC prologue can make a coin dance across their fingers. (I think this relates to the puppet symbolism and Tanselle, who smoothly manipulates the dragon puppet.) The Iron Men have a drinking game called the Finger Dance that can become deadly or result in maiming.

I did a search on nails once, and found there is a very definite progression from pleasant use of fingernails to enhance sexual sensation to nails used to fasten together pieces of wood (in a door, for instance) to nails used as weapons (a barrel of nails dropped on people from the wall) to grotesque things like nailing antler's to a person's head or nailing a severed tongue to a wall. Then the nail references seem to stop being grotesque and the pattern no longer holds. There is a character among the Second Sons nicknamed Nails (with a sidekick named Hammer). Jaime's gold hand has decorative silver nails. Jon Connington's nails are affected by his greyscale. So the nail injuries may be a separate category from other hand or finger injuries.

To make things even more complicated, there is also a strong but less obvious motif around severed feet. Many of these references are idioms, not literal injuries.

So thanks for the excellent list. If only we could pin down the meaning!

Hi @Seams - here's some mini research on limes:

They are rare compared to other citrus: ballpark figures would be about 10 mentions for limes, 50 for lemons, 100 for oranges.

In the books' time frame, they appear only in the south (discounting onboard ship).

Exception - in Dance, the steward of the Wall complains that limes ran out a year ago.

Limes are an ingredient of the Strangler, part of the treatment for greyscale, and a cure for scurvy (tooth loss and bleeding gums).

5 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

Hi @Seams - here's some mini research on limes:

They are rare compared to other citrus: ballpark figures would be about 10 mentions for limes, 50 for lemons, 100 for oranges.

In the books' time frame, they appear only in the south (discounting onboard ship).

Exception - in Dance, the steward of the Wall complains that limes ran out a year ago.

Limes are an ingredient of the Strangler, part of the treatment for greyscale, and a cure for scurvy (tooth loss and bleeding gums).

Thank you! Their inclusion in the Strangler is very interesting. If The Strangler was the poison used by Cressen, it was kept in an indigo-colored bottle, and the juxtaposition of green limes and indigo is interesting to my color analysis in another thread. Renly, with his green armor, is introduced to the reader in a Sansa pov as one of three strangers (with Ser Ilyn and Ser Barristan) so the stranger / strangler connection may be reinforced in connection with the color green. (Ser Ilyn and Ser Barristan are associated with white, though.) The Strangler connections also confirms a connection between limes and death.

The greyscale and scurvy links are also fascinating!

Thanks again! So much stuff to try to absorb and synthesize!

I did notice a small pattern (no idea of the meaning)

We see people die in pairs, where one gets their throat slit and the other stabbed or shot multiple times.

The Lannister squires killed by Karstark, one has his throat slit, the other stabbed

Red wedding, Jinglebell throat slit, Robb shot multiple times and stabbed in the heart(I know Cat too, but the pattern is that they are on opposing sides)

Winterfell-- right before they are sent out to fight Stannis. Walder Frey found with multiple stab wounds, Lord Manderly has his throat slit.

The interesting one is Jon his throat is slit and he's stabbed, I suspect this is because he is a man of Nights watch, but they think he's a wildling. So he get's the injuries for both groups.

1 hour ago, Azarial said:

I did notice a small pattern (no idea of the meaning)

We see people die in pairs, where one gets their throat slit and the other stabbed or shot multiple times.

Very nice catch. Craster has his throat slit and Jeor Mormont is stabbed in the belly, too.

33 minutes ago, Seams said:

Very nice catch. Craster has his throat slit and Jeor Mormont is stabbed in the belly, too.

Nice, I knew I had to have missed some.

So if it's a stomach wound in particular, and not multiple wounds Ned and Robbert may fit too as they are stomach and neck wounds (albeit more severe ones) I wonder if their is meaning in stabbed in gut vrs heart? or both in Jon's case, as the one in the back seems likely to have done that.

35 minutes ago, Azarial said:

Nice, I knew I had to have missed some.

So if it's a stomach wound in particular, and not multiple wounds Ned and Robbert may fit too as they are stomach and neck wounds (albeit more severe ones) I wonder if their is meaning in stabbed in gut vrs heart? or both in Jon's case, as the one in the back seems likely to have done that.

Also Arya's first kill, the stable boy is done by her stabbing him through the stomach and then driving her blade upwards and out through his shoulder blades. This kill is done with Needle, the blade given to her by Jon as well all know. When Jon is being stabbed at the end of ADWD, he is stabbed first in the abdomen and later between his shoulder blades. What he told Arya when gifting her Needle, Stick them with the pointy end, comes back to him during this seen.

Arya also later kills another boy in ASOS by pricking him in the bowels before giving him the gift of mercy and stabbing him in the heart.

30 minutes ago, JaneSnow said:

Also Arya's first kill, the stable boy is done by her stabbing him through the stomach and then driving her blade upwards and out through his shoulder blades. This kill is done with Needle, the blade given to her by Jon as well all know. When Jon is being stabbed at the end of ADWD, he is stabbed first in the abdomen and later between his shoulder blades. What he told Arya when gifting her Needle, Stick them with the pointy end, comes back to him during this seen.

Arya also later kills another boy in ASOS by pricking him in the bowels before giving him the gift of mercy and stabbing him in the heart.

Thank you, you just reminded me of one I forgot. Is there a slit throat to go with that one? or could it be Ned fits here instead of with Robbert, since a Boar isn't really the same thing as being stabbed...

Arya killed the deserter by slitting his throat and tossing him in the canal

Then:

Spoiler

She stabs the Lannister man and dumps his body in the canal too in the Mercy chapter.

Anyone remember the wounds on the Hound and the Tickler?

16 minutes ago, Azarial said:

Thank you, you just reminded me of one I forgot. Is there a slit throat to go with that one? or could it be Ned fits here instead of with Robbert, since a Boar isn't really the same thing as being stabbed...

Arya killed the deserter by slitting his throat and tossing him in the canal

Then:

Hide contents

She stabs the Lannister man and dumps his body in the canal too in the Mercy chapter.

Anyone remember the wounds on the Hound and the Tickler?

The Tickler was stabbed in the back. The Hound was wounded on his face, back of his neck, and his thigh.

8 minutes ago, JaneSnow said:

The Tickler was stabbed in the back. The Hound was wounded on his face, back of his neck, and his thigh.

K so that doesn't fit the pattern.

I found the Arya match. She reflects on stabbing the stable boy and slitting the throat of the guard at Harrenhall. Both were done to escape, and she is ashamed so that is why she links them.

Are you also looking for AVOIDED deaths? Like Tyrion narrowly AVOIDED being mauled by lions in the fighting pit? (I think...if I remember right and it's not some other animal, It could be prophetic of his alliance with the Targaryen house protecting him from his own family)

Archived