Season 8 Predictions?

AEJON TARGARYEN

43 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

How does it support it?

the variance she is talking about refers to the overnight rating. When you include the 7 day and all platform rating most of that variance goes away. It looks like for the bigger episodes people are more likely to watch it same day but doesn’t mean they don’t catch up on the other episodes. And regardless, even with that variance more people are watching now than before. 

But regradless, that is a seperate thing that is being measured. This is measuring what people thought of the episodes. The variance has nothing to do with the ratings which are up on absolute terms versus the earlier seasons. The simplest expanation for the variance is simply that some of the worst episodes were in seasons 5 and 6 (5x06, 6x07, 6x08) and some of the best episodes were in those seasons (5x08, 6x09, 6x10). Not sure you need a more elaborate theory than that or there is any correlation between ratings and episode rankings since for sure the worst episodes in season 5 and 6 had more people watching but were rated as weaker episodes than those in season 1 for example.

Ok, my mistake, I thought those were viewer ratings. Either way, my initial point stands. These numbers really are no indication as to the quality of writing in the show. Unless you want to make the argument that movies such as the Fast & the Furious, and shows like the Kardashians are quality written works of literature, I'm not sure what the relevance of these numbers are in regards to this discussion. You really don't need to convince me that GoT is the most popular and successful TV show of all time; That is a fact - and perhaps you don't agree, but I am not an ignorant fool, who would attempt to dispute that.

26 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

The simplest expanation for the variance is simply that some of the worst episodes were in seasons 5 and 6 (5x06, 6x07, 6x08) and some of the best episodes were in those seasons (5x08, 6x09, 6x10).

OK, let me take another crack at this then. I would posit that these variances still would support my stance that the show was better written when it was being adapted faithfully from the books, as opposed to D&D's own material.

In the earlier season you have a more stable rating, as a majority of viewers tuned in due to the excellent story being told consistently throughout. Now, you see that the ratings vary according to whether you have more of a set up episode, or you have one the action episodes. It just goes to show that the majority of viewers now, only like the show because of these high budget battle scenes and such; they could care less if an intelligent, well thought out story is being told, as long as it's an episode with Jon fighting a hoard of CGI wights, and dragons are burning people, that is when you get higher ratings for an episode.

You remove the budget and CGI, and D&D's story falls flat on its face, and ratings would plummet.

5 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

OK, let me take another crack at this then. I would posit that these variances still would support my stance that the show was better written when it was being adapted faithfully from the books, as opposed to D&D's own material.

In the earlier season you have a more stable rating, as a majority of viewers tuned in due to the excellent story being told consistently throughout. Now, you see that the ratings vary according to whether you have more of a set up episode, or you have one the action episodes. It just goes to show that the majority of viewers now, only like the show because of these high budget battle scenes and such; they could care less if an intelligent, well thought out story is being told, as long as it's an episode with Jon fighting a hoard of CGI wights, and dragons are burning people, that is when you get higher ratings for an episode.

You remove the budget and CGI, and D&D's story falls flat on its face, and ratings would plummet.

Maybe. It certainly supports the idea that the later seasons had some relatively speaking bad episodes. If that is because they went off book or because they just had some really poor execution and it was unrelated I am not sure. 

But that season 5 and season 6 were not as consistent that is def true. On the whole, episodes that have climaxes - whether they are battle scenes or not - tend to always be higher rated relative to set up episodes. But I don’t think that is the case here. I think its very specifically about Dorne sucking and the Arya Waif confrontation just not working because they showed her having a wound that was too severe to survive from. 

I don’t think you can say a majority of viewers only like the show because of high budget battle scenes. That is certainly possible, but that is not necessarily supported by this data. 

When you look at what shows like The Kardashians and moviews like Fast and Furious are actually rated, it suggests that GoT’s high ratings are not driven just because of the spectacle or popularity as you suggest. The Fast and Furious movies have ratings between 6-7. Keeping Up with the Kardashians is rated 2.8. This is in contrast to GoT who only has two episodes below an 8.5, 6x8 which has an 8.4 and 5x06 with an 8.1 and has an overall rating of 9.5 which is higher than any other scripted tv show. 

Of course again, quality is subjective and this is only a measure of what a large collection of individuals think. 

53 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

it doesn't have to be taken out of the fire. that's what Mel says it happened. LB might already exist. I think it's Dawn, we got a long dhot of Dawn in the scene of baby Jon.

Challenge with dawn is its not really a presence in the show and someone needs to bring it North in season 8. But could be who knows.

1.  Jon Snow will die in the Great War, and Dany will legitimize Gendry and marry him in order to secure the Iron Throne, thus merging the two legit claims, Targaryen and Baratheon, into one like Henry Tudor and Elizabeth of York did in the War of the Roses.  It won't be a love match, but they will get along and respect each other.  Dany will do most of the ruling, as she was raised to rule.  

2.  Nymeria will move her large wolf pack from the Riverlands to fight the Night King with the human and dragon warriors in the Great War against the Whitewalkers and the army of the undead.  

3.  Jamie Lannister will be the one to strike the fatal blow to the Night King, thus reforming his title of Kingslayer into a positive.  Like Hodor's renaming from Willis, the name's true meaning is a foreshadowing of Jamie's destiny, not his past.   This is not to say he's the Prince that is Promised or anything, only that the last blow that kills the Night King will be his.  

4.  Once Arya finishes her list, she will claim that she is finally 'no one'.   She won't go back to the Faceless Men, but she'll feel empty and purposeless.  

5.  Cersei will carry her new baby to term, but be killed before she can deliver.  The baby will be cut out of her body and survive, thus fulfilling the prophesy that she would have three children, as she didn't live to give birth to the forth.   The baby will be a sign of a new age and new hope for the Lannister family and Tyrion will raise him or her to be better than their forebearers.  

13 hours ago, jcmontea said:

I read that today as well. Its interesting. My problem with it is that as far as the show is concerned doesn’t have a lot of direct evidence pointing in this direction but it could be an interesting last minute reveal i suppose . 

Let's be real, the show has barely touched the prophecy of Azor Ahai and Lightbringer at all (sadly). 
Mel has mentioned it a few times and Kinvara mentioned it once. There has been no mention of how the original hero tried to forge the sword three times, and that only the third time succeeded because he had to sacrifice his wife, no mention of how he was heralded by a bleeding star, etc.
The info the show gives the audience regarding the prophecy is very limited, probably as a way for the writers to maintain a lot of open doors should they need it in the end.

12 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Interesting new approach on the theory although i think the events of the long night about nissa nissa dont need to be repeated.

I don't think so either, at least not in the show, and that's why they've cut all mentions of Nissa-Nissa. 

12 hours ago, jcmontea said:

I hope we don’t get Nissa Nissa. Or if it comes up the protagonists say f that we will find another way. 

I looked back at the only specific mention of Azor Ahai in the show that i can remember. It was in season 2 episode 1. All Melisandre says is that Azor Ahai took Lightbringer out of the fire. 

I don't think we'll get a Nissa-Nissa in the sacrificial way either, the show should've (and would've) foreshadowed it at this point if we did.
The show hasn't mentioned Dany's 3 betrayals either, probably because they either won't be of any real consequence to the story in the end, and so they can be glossed over and skipped, or because they've already happened (Viserys/MMD/Doreah) but it was subtle enough so that only book-readers would notice.

Either way, I can't see Jon stabbing Daenerys in the chest (especially not if she's pregnant), partly because he knows nothing about that part of the prophecy (he might by when it's time though, but I doubt he'd listen to Mel) and partly because he simply wouldn't be able to bring himself to do it, they would as you say try to find another way.

I do think Mel was wrong about how to forge Lightbringer in season 2 though, and that she took fire too literally due to the name of the sword. As I recall, fire played no part in the forging of the original Lightbringer, Nissa-Nissas chest wasn't on fire. If anything, it's blood that matters.

3 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

The show hasn't mentioned Dany's 3 betrayals either, probably because they either won't be of any real consequence to the story in the end, and so they can be glossed over and skipped, or because they've already happened (Viserys/MMD/Doreah) but it was subtle enough so that only book-readers would notice.

I don't think so, it's too prevalent in the books but they don't want to reveal anything:

3 betrayals in the books = 3 plot twists in the show

43 minutes ago, TRILOGY said:

I don't think so, it's too prevalent in the books but they don't want to reveal anything:

3 betrayals in the books = 3 plot twists in the show

Could be. Although as minsc23 mentioned she has already been betrayed 3 times. 

I would say at least four times. In addition to those three Xaro betrayed her. And i think its an open question whether Hizdar betrayed her or not. He gets stabbed by the Harpy sure. But the show hints strongly that he was setting up the fighting pits and was super guilty. Not sure if we are supposed to see his killing as definite proof that he was not involved or an accident or just Harpy leadership didn’t want him around afterwards. 

Its a miracle Daenerys is not super paranoid given how often she has been betrayed. 

4 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Let's be real, the show has barely touched the prophecy of Azor Ahai and Lightbringer at all (sadly). 
Mel has mentioned it a few times and Kinvara mentioned it once. There has been no mention of how the original hero tried to forge the sword three times, and that only the third time succeeded because he had to sacrifice his wife, no mention of how he was heralded by a bleeding star, etc.
The info the show gives the audience regarding the prophecy is very limited, probably as a way for the writers to maintain a lot of open doors should they need it in the end.

I don't think so either, at least not in the show, and that's why they've cut all mentions of Nissa-Nissa. 

I don't think we'll get a Nissa-Nissa in the sacrificial way either, the show should've (and would've) foreshadowed it at this point if we did.

Either way, I can't see Jon stabbing Daenerys in the chest (especially not if she's pregnant), partly because he knows nothing about that part of the prophecy (he might by when it's time though, but I doubt he'd listen to Mel) and partly because he simply wouldn't be able to bring himself to do it, they would as you say try to find another way.

I do think Mel was wrong about how to forge Lightbringer in season 2 though, and that she took fire too literally due to the name of the sword. As I recall, fire played no part in the forging of the original Lightbringer, Nissa-Nissas chest wasn't on fire. If anything, it's blood that matters.

Would not be the first time Mel is wrong. Although maybe the show just changed it. Hard to know if she is wrong or if the show cannon is just different. 

If she isn’t, i do like the idea of Lightbringer being Longclaw and Drogon in some special combination. Having the weapons that take out the NightKing being forged all the way back in Season 1 would be an example of the type of long term planning that makes the show good. 

One word: fanservice.

Arya and Gendry meet up and fall in love. 

Daenerys gets pregnant. 

Jon will be crowned king. 

Tormund and Brienne have a baby. 

Missandei and Grey Worm have a baby. 

Cleganebowl. 

Arya teleports to KL and kills Cersei. OR. Tyrion kills Cersei. But only after they had a long and deep and nonsensical exchange because don't we love putting Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage in a scene together? 

Bran finds out how he can control the Night King through the connection they have (NK is Bran's past/future/mirror world self or NK is a past three eyed raven )- no. I'm being too creative. Let me try again: Drogon blows exploding fire on the NK and he dies. Or. A fellowship goes on a quest to kill the NK. 

Theon and his ten good sailors single handedly destroy Euron's fleet and save Yara. 

Sam and Gilly will rule Hornhill without ever finding out what happened to Randyll and Dickon. 

Qyburn and Euron die because someone has to, but we can't sacrifice main characters or fan favorites...

Sansa will rule the North and the Vale and Tyrion will rule the West and Dorne. 

Sansa also won't have another love interest (or if she does, it's going to be a girl). Neither will Tyrion unless a very creative intern who rewatched season 1 suggests they dig up Tysha, while he serves coffee to the script writers. 

CGI including:

Exploding blue fire. 

Exploding orange fire. 

Ice dragon. 

Regular dragon. 

Zombies. 

Undead bear, undead fox, undead deer, undead squirrel, undead entire woodland nursery animal set (because that other medieval show did it too and it looked cool and it's so damn symbolic because lots of houses have animals as their sigil) but no Ghost. 

Also no Edmure Tully or Robin Arryn because they are really redundant.

Yohn Royce might die as well because we all deeply care about him and the audience must be shook. Yes, shook, not shaken. (WHO came up with this bloody "shook" thing?)

Melisandre might also return even though her only role in the past 2 season was bringing back Jon. But we like this actress a lot too. Not as much as Lena Headey, but almost, so we can't write her off. 

More black costumes because the season is going to be SO darka and SO intense. 

Jon and Arya reunion because it's just a must and Kit and Maisie were so cute on the cover of Empire. 

But hey. Maybe I'm wrong and it's going to be full of mind blowing plottwists: like a Meera Reed is Jon's twin and her real name is Aegon Targaryen. 

6 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

One word: fanservice.

Arya and Gendry meet up and fall in love. 

Daenerys gets pregnant. 

Jon will be crowned king. 

Tormund and Brienne have a baby. 

Missandei and Grey Worm have a baby. 

Cleganebowl. 

Arya teleports to KL and kills Cersei. OR. Tyrion kills Cersei. But only after they had a long and deep and nonsensical exchange because don't we love putting Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage in a scene together? 

Bran finds out how he can control the Night King through the connection they have (NK is Bran's past/future/mirror world self or NK is a past three eyed raven )- no. I'm being too creative. Let me try again: Drogon blows exploding fire on the NK and he dies. Or. A fellowship goes on a quest to kill the NK. 

Theon and his ten good sailors single handedly destroy Euron's fleet and save Yara. 

Sam and Gilly will rule Hornhill without ever finding out what happened to Randyll and Dickon. 

Qyburn and Euron die because someone has to, but we can't sacrifice main characters or fan favorites...

Sansa will rule the North and the Vale and Tyrion will rule the West and Dorne. 

Sansa also won't have another love interest (or if she does, it's going to be a girl). Neither will Tyrion unless a very creative intern who rewatched season 1 suggests they dig up Tysha, while he serves coffee to the script writers. 

CGI including:

Exploding blue fire. 

Exploding orange fire. 

Ice dragon. 

Regular dragon. 

Zombies. 

Undead bear, undead fox, undead deer, undead squirrel, undead entire woodland nursery animal set (because that other medieval show did it too and it looked cool and it's so damn symbolic because lots of houses have animals as their sigil) but no Ghost. 

Also no Edmure Tully or Robin Arryn because they are really redundant.

Yohn Royce might die as well because we all deeply care about him and the audience must be shook. Yes, shook, not shaken. (WHO came up with this bloody "shook" thing?)

Melisandre might also return even though her only role in the past 2 season was bringing back Jon. But we like this actress a lot too. Not as much as Lena Headey, but almost, so we can't write her off. 

More black costumes because the season is going to be SO darka and SO intense. 

Jon and Arya reunion because it's just a must and Kit and Maisie were so cute on the cover of Empire. 

But hey. Maybe I'm wrong and it's going to be full of mind blowing plottwists: like a Meera Reed is Jon's twin and her real name is Aegon Targaryen. 

After 7 years watching this show, an unreasonable amount of time spent thinking about it and reading the books is it wrong to just want some damm fan service at the end? 

I need Jon jumping off of Rhaegal mid air stabbing the night king, jumping off viserion rhegal catching him below while Dany and Drogon come and just unleash dragon fire to finish the nk off. 

Lets take Daemon v Aemond from the Dance and turbocharge it and let the good guys survive. I want to be served some fan service on a golden platter! :-) 

2 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

After 7 years watching this show, an unreasonable amount of time spent thinking about it and reading the books is it wrong to just want some damm fan service at the end? 

I want to be served! :-) 

No, not at all. 

And it wouldn't even be wrong to serve you, if they were able to do it well. But they aren't. 

On 24/09/2017 at 5:32 PM, jcmontea said:

I need Jon jumping off of Rhaegal mid air stabbing the night king, jumping off viserion rhegal catching him below while Dany and Drogon come and just unleash dragon fire to finish the nk off. 

Lets take Daemon v Aemond from the Dance and turbocharge it and let the good guys survive. I want to be served some fan service on a golden platter! :-) 

I with You!well said:D:rolleyes:

On 9/24/2017 at 10:32 AM, jcmontea said:

Allow me to disagree. But understand that it's just symantics. 

"Fanservice" is dumb. It's the dude walking in on a sexy girl mid shower kind of dumb. Like Sandor walking up to his brother and saying he is coming, or Gendry commenting on his rowing etc.

What you want Is an epic display of skill and heroism. That's fine and I support that. It would be a breath of fresh air to see a heroic figure do something that puts people at awe. 

The issue (as Broseph above said) is whether it's done right. Which I don't think these guys are capable of. It will come off cheesy and groan inducing as well as be done in a way so improbable that it will breed more criticism that will bitter your enjoyment of the scene if heard long enough. 

I hope you get this, and for the sake of both our sanity I hope it's done well. I don't wanna see Daeny do an upside down one hand grab and launch Jon on her dragon like Legolas on that horse. 

Nymeria will somehow save Arya when she's in a harrowing situation.

Dany & AeJon will disregard the fact that they're auntie and nephew, and Dany will give birth to a son of theirs, whom will be the uniting force for all of Westeros. (Hope this doesn't happen though, specifically the former, but I feel like it will.)

Another Ed Sheeran cameo. Lol.

We finally are told what exactly is it the Night King wants.

Archived