MLB 2017: Jim Rice Tells CC Sabathia to Mix in a Salad

Manhole Eunuchsbane

So there's lots of reports that Shohei Otani is coming over this offseason.  Should be noted these are unconfirmed, but if that's the case the Yanks appear to have as much money left before hitting the international cap as anyone (thanks, in part, to maxing out how much extra they can acquire via trades).  Based on the hype and how cheap he'll be, whoever gets him could have an incredibly valuable asset.  Still dunno why he doesn't wait two years and sign a $200 million contract then, but it'd be great to see him try to pitch and DH sooner rather than later.  It's be super cool if he was doing it for the Yanks!

15 hours ago, dmc515 said:

So there's lots of reports that Shohei Otani is coming over this offseason.  Should be noted these are unconfirmed, but if that's the case the Yanks appear to have as much money left before hitting the international cap as anyone (thanks, in part, to maxing out how much extra they can acquire via trades).  Based on the hype and how cheap he'll be, whoever gets him could have an incredibly valuable asset.  Still dunno why he doesn't wait two years and sign a $200 million contract then, but it'd be great to see him try to pitch and DH sooner rather than later.  It's be super cool if he was doing it for the Yanks!

I don't think he's motivated by the money, he wanted to come play here when he was 18 and had to be convinced to play in the NPB for a few years. I hear Mashahiro Tanaka made $50m on endorsements alone. A young guy like him could double that. Cashman himself went to see him, I can't imagine him doing that unless he was going to go hard after him. We'll probably see Hideki Matsui try and sell him on the Yankees, maybe Hiroki Kuroda too. And with another guy from Japan already on the team he'd be crazy not to.

7 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I don't think he's motivated by the money

If he actually does come out this winter, that's pretty clear.  Point is an athlete leaving well over $100 million on the table - even when accounting for endorsements - is...quite peculiar.

7 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Cashman himself went to see him, I can't imagine him doing that unless he was going to go hard after him.

Yeah the Yanks are going hard after him along with everyone else in the league that's not hamstrung by the old international cap penalties.  If it's true he's intent on also batting, then one would think AL teams have a leg up because they can DH him in games he isn't pitching, whereas I'm not sure what you do in the NL.  From what I've read it doesn't seem like he can viably play a defensive position at the major league level.

20 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

If he actually does come out this winter, that's pretty clear.  Point is an athlete leaving well over $100 million on the table - even when accounting for endorsements - is...quite peculiar.

Yeah the Yanks are going hard after him along with everyone else in the league that's not hamstrung by the old international cap penalties.  If it's true he's intent on also batting, then one would think AL teams have a leg up because they can DH him in games he isn't pitching, whereas I'm not sure what you do in the NL.  From what I've read it doesn't seem like he can viably play a defensive position at the major league level.

I respect the guy for wanting to get more years in the Show if if means leaving money on the table. 

I never thought about that being selling point for the AL, but you're absolutely right. They can get him regular ABs and I'm sure his agent will make it clear that he prefers to go both.  

2 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I respect the guy for wanting to get more years in the Show if if means leaving money on the table. 

No doubt.  I'm just skeptical of it actually happening until it's confirmed because I'm a cynical asshole.

3 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I never thought about that being selling point for the AL, but you're absolutely right. They can get him regular ABs and I'm sure his agent will make it clear that he prefers to go both.  

I think this may be partly why he'll come out early.  Because he comes so cheap, he can insist on assurances from teams that they'll at least give him a shot to DH.  Alternatively, if you put >$100 million dollars into a pitcher, you rightfully can say hitting's off the table due to injury risk.

13 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

No doubt.  I'm just skeptical of it actually happening until it's confirmed because I'm a cynical asshole.

I think this may be partly why he'll come out early.  Because he comes so cheap, he can insist on assurances from teams that they'll at least give him a shot to DH.  Alternatively, if you put >$100 million dollars into a pitcher, you rightfully can say hitting's off the table due to injury risk.

What I like about him is that God forbid he can't pitch at some point he can still hit at least. 

As an out of market fan that can't afford MLB ticket I am no longer subject to Michael Kay's constant annoyance.  If Otani hits, he's going to be a spectacle wherever he goes.  Obvious that will be greater in New York in proportion with how everything is more of a spectacle in New York.

And yeah, can Judge play the O's every game?

ETA:  The Frazier Bros have had quite the games as well.  Good to see Clint get off the schneid.

8 hours ago, dmc515 said:

As an out of market fan that can't afford MLB ticket I am no longer subject to Michael Kay's constant annoyance.  If Otani hits, he's going to be a spectacle wherever he goes.  Obvious that will be greater in New York in proportion with how everything is more of a spectacle in New York.

And yeah, can Judge play the O's every game?

ETA:  The Frazier Bros have had quite the games as well.  Good to see Clint get off the schneid.

The Todfather has had a pretty good week. 

Start spreading the news....Prolly shouldn't jinx it for this weekend, but man have the Yanks owned the O's this year at YS.  In other news:

Major League Baseball fined the Boston Red Sox an undisclosed amount for "sending electronic communications from their video replay room to an athletic trainer in the dugout" for the purpose of stealing signals from the opposing catcher, commissioner Rob Manfred announced Friday.

The New York Yankees filed a complaint against the Red Sox last month, triggering an MLB investigation.

The investigation found "insufficient evidence," according to a statement released by Manfred's office, that the Yankees used their YES Network cameras to spy on the Red Sox, as Boston had alleged in a counterclaim. MLB did dock the Yankees a lesser undisclosed amount for improper use of a dugout phone prior to this season.

Money collected from both fines will be donated to hurricane relief efforts in Florida.

Well, I guess the bolded is nice - other than an apparent fuck you to Texas.

I didn't have a song for 23 anyway.:P

Seriously though, this team has been incredibly fun to watch all year, but the last couple weeks especially have been some of the most fun I've had watching baseball in my life. Sometimes it seems like one of baseball's archaic unwritten rules is "No fun allowed." Well not with this team. Whether it's making mini-balls, stealing the on-the-field reporter's mic to do some impromptu play-by-play, or just Frankie Lindor's smile when he does literally anything, nobody is having more fun playing baseball than this Cleveland Indians team and it has been a joy to watch.

@Tywin et al. - the Twins' recent .500 ball has taken some of the air out of the series, but it begins in a couple hours!  Silver lining for you - the Yanks have swapped their rotation so the Twins are facing Garcia/Sabathia/Tanaka rather than Gray/Tanaka/Sevy (from the Yanks perspective, this appears to be in the interest of getting Sevy lined up for the WC game).

39 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

@Tywin et al. - the Twins' recent .500 ball has taken some of the air out of the series, but it begins in a couple hours!  Silver lining for you - the Yanks have swapped their rotation so the Twins are facing Garcia/Sabathia/Tanaka rather than Gray/Tanaka/Sevy (from the Yanks perspective, this appears to be in the interest of getting Sevy lined up for the WC game).

Yeah, looks like we can't pass your Yanks even if we sweep em. Still it has the possibility of closing the gap or you guys can dent our playoff chances. Thankfully the games are in NYC. It's a hitters park and the Twins are better on the road than at home. 

Archived