How Much Wildfire Is Left, And How Should It Be Used Against The Army Of The Dead??

well tyrion did tell dany..kinda. When she said she planned to return the slavers cities to the dust he told her what her father had planned and since the great sept was destroyed by a wildfire explosion....

Also wild fire gets more unstable as it gets older so trying to transport it to the wall or anywhere outside kings landing would be impossible.

12 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Yes, the rumours seem to indicate that there is still wildfire in KL, however Cersei must have used a considerable amount already when she blew up the Sept, so I can't be certain how much is left.

True, we can't be certain, but I'm assuming there's a LOT left.  Why?  Cuz back in the days of the Mad King, he had the basically (if not literally) the entire city rigged to blow.   Okay, the Sept was big, but it was only one building out of an entire city.  So, what percentage of the total was needed to blow up the Sept?  I'm guessing no more than 1/20th of the total amount, maybe even only 1/30th or 1/40th.

Now, of course we don't know what happened between Cersei and Tyrion off screen but the fact that it was left "off screen" means that whatever it was the show runners want it to be surprise.  It is not inconceivable that he may have given her something, even some sort of promise for wildfire, although I think it is unlikely or at least that that scene involved wildfire in any way.

Yeah, it seems highly probable that whatever they discussed will be important later, and that he promised her something to get her to do what she did (even though that was nothing more than another lie)

Approaching the pyromancers would have been his best bet but time was limited and the pyromancers are under Cersei's rule and he is pretty much "persona non grata" in KL at the moment.  Still he may have sent out someone in an errand...   Possibly far fetched but I thought it was a bit odd that Bronn left with Pod (both Tyrion's pals) with the lame excuse of going out for a drink.

Funny that you mention how Bronn and Pod went for a drink. I read an article earlier today on that VERY subject.

My understanding of the explanation:  Word is that Jerome Flynn (Bronn) and Lena Heady (Cersei) were in a relationship many years ago (I think they said 2002, long before GoT even began filming) that ended so badly that they refuse to be in the same room or on set together.  

As a result, Bronn and Cersei have only been on screen together in GoT ONCE, very briefly, years ago, as Cersei walked by Bronn and neither said a word to the other.  And that is, they say, why Bronn and Pod left to go get a drink last week, cuz Cersei was coming on the set (Bronn and Pod left just before Cersei arrived) 

One explanation that has been provided is that Lena and Jerome don't get on in real life and that they have requested not to do a scene together.  Okay, fair enough.  Still Pod and Bronn were not a central part to the negotiations.  Jerome could simply not have been there and I don't think anyone would be starting great threads in here regarding his absence from that scene lol  I reckon they were on a mission for Tyrion and visiting the pyromancers with a great bag of gold could have been it although I am probably barking at the wrong tree here.,,

Oh, okay, looks like you heard basically the same thing!! HARR!!!

But...naw, I don't think it's cuz Bronn and Pod were on a mission for Tyrion.  They had JUST been reunited with Tyrion minutes earlier.  I cannot see how Tyrion could have arranged all that so quickly, especially with Bronn and Tyrion technically on opposite sides in the Dragon Pit.

I'm going to give everyone involved the benefit of the doubt, and assume it was kind of an "inside joke."   After all these years of filming..."Uh oh, here comes Cersei!  Quick, Bronn has to leave!! HARR!!!"

Still, the main problem I can see is that yes that substance is extremely volatile so transporting it to the Wall would be some feat!  It is more likely than not that it would blew up half the realm in the process and Tyrion is acting very cautious of late.  Granted he did use it in the Blackwater but it was either that or leave it to Cersei/Joffrey to do so with far less restraint lol and he didn't need it to be transported very far then...

Transportation MIGHT be an issue, granted.  I'd say transportation via dragon is totally out of the question, just too dangerous.

But the King's Road is pretty smooth, as far as I know.  Might be able to do it by wagon train.   Maybe.  Hard to say just how volatile it is.  When they blew up the Sept, they had to light it, but I do think if you took a bottle of it and threw it at a wall it would probably explode.

Transportation could be difficult, dangerous, and time consuming, but I think they should al least start trying to move it carefully north.

Also, we do not know for a fact if WWs are vulnerable to wildfire or not and I presume neither does Tyrion, the pyromancers or anyone since hardly anyone believed in WWs until very recently.

Well, okay, it's not been empirically proven yet, but I'm comfortable assuming that if the Army of the Dead is vulnerable to ordinary fire, it is vulnerable to wildfire.  I can't imagine anything suffering from ordinary fire but being immune to harm from wildfire.  It anything, I would think it would be the other way around. 

The idea of the flame thrower is very cool and wicked ;)  Tyrion, to me, has been acting a bit "out of character" most of the season and I do hope that he has just been keeping his cards very close to his chest and that he has something out of his sleeve yet to be revealed...

Yeah, some of the formerly major players have been nerfed to make room for the real heavy hitters (Bran, Jon, Dany, Cersei, Night King) at the end.  Nearly everyone else is basically just along for the ride at this point

Consider Varys. He has been reduced to little more than an extra on the set at this point.  He was involved in a few very brief conversations in Season 7 (one with Dany, two with Tyrion, as I recall), but he didn't DO anything, far as I recall.  He's just kind of hanging around.

Nearly all the pieces have been swept aside or off the board altogether to make way for the heavy hitters.

(By the way, I've started re-watching Season One again, and it's kind of amusing.  SO many scenes where nearly everyone who was present is now dead!!   I sit and watch, and chuckle "He's dead. He's dead. She's dead.  He's dead."  Macabre humor, sure, but there it is.

Good example;  Ned's first meeting with the Small Council upon arriving in King's Landing.  Everyone that was in that room is now dead except Varys.  Ned, Renly, Littlefinger, Pycelle.  All gone.  And watching Season One is like that.  Scene after scene after scene with people who have been crossed off.  Jory.  Rodrik Cassel.   Luwin.  Ros.  Cat.  Robb.  Ned. LF. Pycelle. Renly. Robert.  On and on and on..

3 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

well tyrion did tell dany..kinda. When she said she planned to return the slavers cities to the dust he told her what her father had planned and since the great sept was destroyed by a wildfire explosion....

Yes, so Dany has at least heard about wildfire, I suppose.

But I can't imagine why it wasn't a central focus of their discussions with Cersei, so far as we know.

it is an obvious and natural weapon to be used against the Army of the Dead.

Likely devastating, in fact, I think, if properly weaponized.

13 hours ago, Deminelle said:

I'd like to see the Tyrion, who wants a sweet life after all and is now somehow planning his future with women and booze in his own castle.

Well, Tyrion did tell us all how he wants to die, although I won't repeat it here.

(He even has a name picked out for his personal wine:  "The Imp's Delight.")

Just now, Cron said:

Yes, so Dany has at least heard about wildfire, I suppose.

But I can't imagine why it wasn't a central focus of their discussions with Cersei, so far as we know.

it is an obvious and natural weapon to be used against the Army of the Dead.

Likely devastating, in fact, I think, if properly weaponized.

I think cersei should have brought it up to say I will destroy kings landing before I allow you to take the iron throne. It would hold sway with everyone because they know cersei would do it. Now that jaime is gone she has no reason to argue against it

I strongly suspect he will get that in the end but in the mean time he has to earn it lol ;) in terms of staying alive more than anything lol

Yeah, Tyrion will survive the series, no doubt.

As I recall, he's GRRM"s favorite character, which is the ultimate plot armor.

HARR!!!

12 hours ago, Khorkalba said:

Cersei holds the key to wildfire production, but she doesn't trust Tyrion, Jon or Daenerys and only cares about protecting herself.

I suspect that any wildfire that still exists in King's Landing or any that Cersei continues to have produced in secret will be reserved for some kind of Mad Queen moment shortly before her death.

This may serve a dual purpose of making the battles against the dead a bit more exciting. Wildfire almost seems like it would be too potent, given how vulnerable wights are to fire. It could completely decimate the Night King's army in seconds.

Yeah, if properly weaponized, it would be devastating against the Army of the Dead, no doubt.

A flame thrower may seem a bit far fetched, but I think if they are creative they could come up with other delivery systems.

And I hear you about Cersei, and sure, I think she would want to hoard it for herself, but hey, her life is at stake, too.  If she's got ANY sense in her I would think she would want to give the stuff to Dany and hope that Dany and Dany's allies blow themselves up with it at the same time they are eliminating the Army of the Dead.

9 hours ago, Megorova said:

Why would Cersei share her greatest weapon with her enemyes? Maybe she's planning to use it later, against whoever will survive fight with NK, and will come to get her throne. Seems more likely that she will blaze away Red Keep, same as how Mad King wanted to do this. Though this time either there will be no Jaime there to stop her, or he will kill her, but will be too late to stop wildfire. Based on Dany's vision it looked like Red Keep was destroyed by something major, like dragonfire or wildfire explosion.

Hmmm.  Great points, especially there at the end.  I had forgotten about that vision.  Maybe that damage WAS caused by wildfire, rather than by dragon fire.

Still, I think Cersei would be smart to give it to Dany and hope Dany and her allies blow themselves up with it while they are destroying the Army of the Dead, or at least hope Dany can use it to defeat the Army of the Dead.

I mean, my goodness, even Cersei must be rooting for the Army of the Living to win.  She would have to be full blown crazy to not care who wins, or hope the Night King wins, and I don't think she's anywhere near that far gone.

10 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Cersei had full control of it and the realm, although in name at the time, when Tyrion persuaded the pyromancers to make it for him lol  I think the issue here is safe transportation...

You have raised a very valid point about safe transportation, but I honestly think it could be solved.

A long wagon train, with each container carefully wrapped in blankets, separated by blankets, and the floor of the wagon padded with blankets.

LIke I said, my understanding is that the King's Road is pretty smooth.   Would there still be danger? Sure.  Might even lose a few wagons to sudden explosions.  But I still think it would be worth the risk, and could likely be done.

As long as the weather is relatively calm, the could transport quite a distance by ships up the coast, too.  Again, pretty dangerous, sure, but likely worth the risk.

1 minute ago, Cron said:

LIke I said, my understanding is that the King's Road is pretty smooth.

In places. In others, it's muddy and broken (near the Neck for example). Though I don't remember if they ever showed that on the show. It's certainly not a stone highway from King's Landing to the Wall.

10 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

She would not indeed and I think someone like Tyrion (if he indeed mentioned that in whatever pact he made with her) would not honour whatever the pact was either.   "It Takes One to Know One" lol If Tyrion wants wildfire he would obtain it by different means but I think he would be right to be very cautions with its transportation...

Hmm.  Interesting. A double double cross, huh?

Could happen.  Who knows, maybe Tyrion really IS the Valonqar!

That would be funny, since I've been saying for so long that he's too obvious to be the Valonqar that I would actually be SHOCKED at this point to discover her really IS the Valonqar!

1 minute ago, Mikkel said:

In places. In others, it's muddy and broken (near the Neck for example). Though I don't remember if they ever showed that on the show. It's certainly not a stone highway from King's Landing to the Wall.

Agreed, but remember, the muddy parts are likely frozen now.

Could be bumpy here and there, though. I get that.

If they move slowly and carefully, though, who knows, maybe they could safely transport 90% of it (losing maybe 10% along the way, probably with some human casualties, as well)

6 hours ago, TwiceBorn said:

I think there will be a zombie infestation purged with wildfire, a thing that Aerys had greenseered about which drove him mad. Hodor!

Wow, that would be wild.

All of this prophesied by Aerys, and it drove him crazy?

Pretty good plot twist, I think.  Did you come up with that yourself?

26 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

I think cersei should have brought it up to say I will destroy kings landing before I allow you to take the iron throne. It would hold sway with everyone because they know cersei would do it. Now that jaime is gone she has no reason to argue against it

Yeah, that could be, that the Mad King cycle will repeat with the Mad Queen.

Still, though, someone IS going to cross her off.  That's the prophecy, and I think it will be Jaime.

22 minutes ago, Cron said:

Hmm.  Interesting. A double double cross, huh?

Could happen.  Who knows, maybe Tyrion really IS the Valonqar!

That would be funny, since I've been saying for so long that he's too obvious to be the Valonqar that I would actually be SHOCKED at this point to discover her really IS the Valonqar!

Like you I always thought it is either Jaime or someone else.  Tyrion was always way too obvious but yeah this could be the twist.  I don't think so though.  I think he has had his fair share of kinslaying and that would leave this character at the very end in a mental state similar as what he was after killing his father.  I don't think it would be conducive to a satisfactory character development.

Jaime on the other hand has been Cersei's lap dog all the way.  My money is still on Jaime.  I personally think that the moment to do it would have been after Tommen's death but of course they wanted Cersei in the run for longer.  I hope whatever causes someone to cross her off is satisfactory plot wise.  To kill her now, say, just because she is betraying her promise to Dany would be weak by comparison so I guess she will have to do something pretty awful again.

Back to Tyrion double crossing Cersei I wasn't really thinking about him killing her, more like telling her something like okay I will give you this or spy for you or whatever and then not doing it.

35 minutes ago, Cron said:

You have raised a very valid point about safe transportation, but I honestly think it could be solved.

A long wagon train, with each container carefully wrapped in blankets, separated by blankets, and the floor of the wagon padded with blankets.

LIke I said, my understanding is that the King's Road is pretty smooth.   Would there still be danger? Sure.  Might even lose a few wagons to sudden explosions.  But I still think it would be worth the risk, and could likely be done.

As long as the weather is relatively calm, the could transport quite a distance by ships up the coast, too.  Again, pretty dangerous, sure, but likely worth the risk.

You make good points too.  I am now really curious as to whether wildfire will indeed be used again or not.

57 minutes ago, Cron said:

Yeah, Tyrion will survive the series, no doubt.

As I recall, he's GRRM"s favorite character, which is the ultimate plot armor.

HARR!!!

Yes, Tyrion definitely survives and I think he will have a relatively happy ending, may even get the vineyard ;)

14 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

There is a multiquote function (the plus symbol right next to the regular Quote button) - just FYI. Might make it easier to see what's going on instead of quadruple posts in a row of the same two people quoting each other :) 

Thanks yes, I think I was just picking up the notifications (i.e. when someone has quoted me).  It would have been easier to do the multi quote :)

Archived