Roberts rebellion and the lie

11 minutes ago, princess_snow said:

Wasnt the point of Robert and Lyannas betrothal to strengthen the North, because they were planning on removing Aerys ? 

I thought a rebellion was imminent  anyway before Lyanna and Rhaegar took off together ?

Not really. It is very strongly suggested that Rhaegar planned to forcibly remove his father and take over.

Robert and Lyanna's betrothal seems more about making Ned and Robert brothers-in-law than anything else, which obviously isn't great for Lyanna.

4 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Not really. It is very strongly suggested that Rhaegar planned to forcibly remove his father and take over.

Robert and Lyanna's betrothal seems more about making Ned and Robert brothers-in-law than anything else, which obviously isn't great for Lyanna.

Ah ok. Its been a while since Ive read the books and rewatched the series from the beginning.  

On 06/09/2017 at 4:57 PM, House Rootbreaker said:

Robert loved war and battles just as much in his youth, and he was just as fiery then too.  So yeah, even if Lyanna chose Rhaegar over him via her own free will I cannot see him taking it lying down.

Robert wasn't in that much of a power position to start the rebellion over that though. The Rebellion was called by Jon Arryn that triggered alliances across Westeros like Dominoes

51 minutes ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

Robert wasn't in that much of a power position to start the rebellion over that though. The Rebellion was called by Jon Arryn that triggered alliances across Westeros like Dominoes

True, the actual rebellion started when the Mad King demanded Jon Arryn hand over Robert and Ned after he killed Ned's father and brother. I was more referring to Robert going rogue and hunting down Rhaegar at all costs, perhaps just on his own.

21 hours ago, darmody said:

What? First of all, that came at the end of the war.

Secondly, you wouldn't need a war to kill Jon. If Ned hadn't lied, Robert woulda had Jon killed, easy-peasy.

Thirdly, there were suitable candidates anyway: Dany and her brother. 

Yes, I didn't phrase it correctly. What I meant was, Robert's coronation was based on not having a proper Targaryen left in Westeros anyway. It helped. Dany and Viserys left to Essos, hence the post i wrote. 

Archived