Wight Viserion's blast

A few forums have already been started about this and here's my take. I don't know what the blast that undead Viserion breathed was, but it cannot be fire.

How could a wight breathe fire? Wouldn't it kill itself? I kind of thought that dragons could not be wighted since they're all about fire magic, the opposite of ice/death magic, so the fire within dragons would prevent wighting. I could be wrong, or Viserion's fire magic could have vanquished completely since being trapped in a frozen lake. But if so, then surely the touch of a White Walker could not re-implant the fire-breathing ability. Plus, like I said, the fire would kill the wight dragon instantly.

The first was a technical reason I reject the fire breath. The second is a motives reason. Why in the world would the White Walkers want a fire-breathing creature. Any corpses left behind by it would be completely useless to the White Walkers. It seems that if it breathes fire, the only purpose to the Night King would be to destroy the Wall, then get rid of it by putting it back in the frozen lake or something.

I sort of thought at the end of 7x06 that wight Viserion's would have breath that could freeze anything it touched, but that would only reinforce the Wall.

I chalk it up to the show leaving it ambiguous with no real explanation because the wall won't come down like that in the books. They didn't have an in-universe explanation and since it's TV they don't have to describe whats happening in words. I wouldn't be shocked if they said it was some magical fire that was neither hot nor cold, just magical.

2 hours ago, House Rootbreaker said:

I chalk it up to the show leaving it ambiguous with no real explanation because the wall won't come down like that in the books. They didn't have an in-universe explanation and since it's TV they don't have to describe whats happening in words. I wouldn't be shocked if they said it was some magical fire that was neither hot nor cold, just magical.

Imo there's no way unViserion bringing down the wall was not a plot fixture given by GRRM to the writers. Unless he's killed in the very first battle with nothing more than a well-placed dragonglass arrow the fact that the NK has a dragon of its own is just too important for the overall fight. He can bring down every sort of protections people put in his way before the actual AotD makes material for more wights: like castle walls or gates, magical protections, maybe fires. And he might be the means to fly over the Narrow Sea and start things in Essos. Or to burn ships with fleeing people. Not to mention fight against Dany's other two dragons.

1 hour ago, Zapho said:

Imo there's no way unViserion bringing down the wall was not a plot fixture given by GRRM to the writers. Unless he's killed in the very first battle with nothing more than a well-placed dragonglass arrow the fact that the NK has a dragon of its own is just too important for the overall fight. He can bring down every sort of protections people put in his way before the actual AotD makes material for more wights: like castle walls or gates, magical protections, maybe fires. And he might be the means to fly over the Narrow Sea and start things in Essos. Or to burn ships with fleeing people. Not to mention fight against Dany's other two dragons.

I'm not so sure.  At the very least we know that's not how the NK gets a dragon as the wight hunt was an invention of the TV show.  I hear what you're saying but in the books I got the feeling the dragonbinder horn was how a dragon would be turned.  GRRM devotes some time to different horns in the books, including one that can bring down the wall, so that's what I'm thinking but I could be wrong.

The wight hunt and the subsequent superhuman travelspeed are  ... bad. It feels like they absolutely needed to get to the point where the dragon died behind the wall, not at some point in the battles that follow - which would have been far easier to do without distracting from the impact of a wight dragon. I do hope the books will provide a more satisfying story as to how it happened. The dragonbinder horn seems likely. Maybe it is one and the same as the horn that's supposed to bring down the Wall?

7 hours ago, Billy Sastard said:

He's like MechaGodzilla! Some sort of electrical blast...or something....maybe.

Don't be silly, MechaGodzilla can't fly. Well, he can in some movies, but he has a freeze ray in those movies, not a shock ray, and that just takes us back to the same place we started.

Obviously Viserion is King Ghidorah (the dragon must have three heads, right?), breathing gravity beams.

8 hours ago, Zapho said:

Imo there's no way unViserion bringing down the wall was not a plot fixture given by GRRM to the writers.

I suspect unViserion and the Wall coming down are both plot fixtures given by GRRM, but merging the two together could easily be part of their usual MO of merging two stories.

For example, I wouldn't be too surprised if book!Tarly ends up being torched by Dany after a Field of Fire 2.0, but it won't be because he venally betrayed Dany for Cersei and sacked Highgarden, it'll more likely be because he betrayed Cersei for Aegon and just ended up on the wrong side when Dany arrived.

Here's the director's take on it:

“The way I looked at it was, when the sept burned down, that was green fire, and so then the dragon is going to have some kind of blueish fire,” he said. “It’s certainly still fire — it has the ability to burn the Wall and melt snow. But it’s going to have a different kind of magical quality to it, because it’s coming from an undead dragon.”

So it's just blue fire with a magical twist, because magic explains everything in that world.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-director-explains-that-shocking-ice-dragon-scene_us_59a5628de4b050afa90ca531

18 hours ago, Zapho said:

The wight hunt and the subsequent superhuman travelspeed are  ... bad. It feels like they absolutely needed to get to the point where the dragon died behind the wall, not at some point in the battles that follow - which would have been far easier to do without distracting from the impact of a wight dragon. I do hope the books will provide a more satisfying story as to how it happened. The dragonbinder horn seems likely. Maybe it is one and the same as the horn that's supposed to bring down the Wall?

In the books there are multiple horns and the wildlings claim to have the horn to bring the wall down, the Horn of Winter, while Euron claims to have the dragonbinder horn.  But in true GRRM fashion, he leaves it ambiguous as Tormund admits the wilding horn is a fake, but that the real horn may still be out there.  I think Euron's dragonbinder horn is different as I don't see him ever going near the wall for any reason.

I think using a horn to bring down the wall is more satisfying as the whole "there's ancient spells in the wall, magic" seems more likely to be undone by a magical horn.  Instead the show used a dragon with no explanation of how it got past the magic or if the magic is still there.

14 hours ago, falcotron said:

I suspect unViserion and the Wall coming down are both plot fixtures given by GRRM, but merging the two together could easily be part of their usual MO of merging two stories.

For example, I wouldn't be too surprised if book!Tarly ends up being torched by Dany after a Field of Fire 2.0, but it won't be because he venally betrayed Dany for Cersei and sacked Highgarden, it'll more likely be because he betrayed Cersei for Aegon and just ended up on the wrong side when Dany arrived.

I'm inclined to agree with this take. 

12 hours ago, 4 Eyed Crow said:

Here's the director's take on it:

So it's just blue fire with a magical twist, because magic explains everything in that world.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-director-explains-that-shocking-ice-dragon-scene_us_59a5628de4b050afa90ca531

Super weak explanation.

At least we know it's supposed to be fire. Unfortunately that leaves us with more unanswered questions. If UnViserion is flying around roasting his enemies, how will they be reanimated later? Obviously adding a dragon to the AotD is a plus any way you cut it, but still. 

8 hours ago, House Rootbreaker said:

But in true GRRM fashion, he leaves it ambiguous as Tormund admits the wilding horn is a fake, but that the real horn may still be out there.

And of course Jon and Ghost found a mysterious old horn, broken, stuffed with dragonglass arrowheads, and buried in a pile of dragonglass weapons wrapped in a Watch cloak. And later, that horn was the only thing Sam has left except his and Gilly's clothes by the time he got to Oldtown. It could just be a red herring…

Archived