Jon Snow`s death scene

Dukhasinov

Having read the books twice before the time came around in the show, I was not surprised by Jon being stab-murdered. I was actually looking forward to it in a big way, and I was really disappointed at how the scene was done. I expected it to be as powerful as the assassination of Caesar in the season finale of Rome. This was a very reasonable expectation, as Rome is also an HBO title, and the two pivotal actors in that scene in Rome-Ciaran Hinds as Caesar, and Tobias Menzies as Brutus, are part of the Game of Thrones cast, as Mance Rayder and Edmure Tully, respectively. The directors should have brought those two into the loop for doing that scene. I think Kit Harrington really dropped the ball for that scene, to. His face was so blank. He looked like he was channeling Keanu Reaves. The scene of Caesar`s death was every bit as brutal and heartbreaking as Jon`s death should have been. Harrington should have studied the pain and grief in Hinds` face as he realized that his closest friend was among his murderers. Really a missed opportunity.

I think your reasons for why it should specifically be a copy of Julius Caesar's death scene in Rome are... weak. It's not like any of the relevant actors were involved in both scenes, and there are lots of HBO titles. The event itself already has strong echoes of Julius Caesar's assassination. Olly played the Brutus role, for some reason.

Oh, and I thought the scene was fine to be honest. Jon seemed hurt rather than blank to me.

I too thought the Jon death scene was well played.  I don't watch Rome, so I can't compare those two, but Kit did a good job in my opinion.  You could definitely see the emotion on his face as he was being betrayed by his brothers.  Especially when Olly stepped up to the plate for his swing.  I had no issues with the scene...

I think the scene didnt need to be more like Rome, but rather more like the scene in teh books. The emotion was completely different. In the show, it is a blatant mutiny by the nights watch to overthrow jon snow for what they believe is betrayal for letting wildlings in. Pretty weak reason as they know of the white walkers and war coming, and it makes those who betray him as evil traitors.

In the books, although many werent happy with the wildlings, they were accepting it. It is Jons decision to rally an army out of passion, to march south on winterfell to get revenge for his sister against ramsay, to forsake his own vows, and the wall to enter into the wars of the realm that causes his downfall. The men who stabbed him, among them, were his friends. And they were sad for doing it. Its what made the scene that much more emotional for everyone including us reading it. As they Say "for the watch" they mean it. They are doing it to stop him from breaking his vows, and bringing others to do the same. his friends stab him with tears in their eyes.

The only thing I wish was different was that Jon's soul wharged into Ghost. But the show wasn't going to do that and that's just my wishful thinking. Other than that, I thought the scene was fine. I didn't like Kit's acting at first but he definitely grew on me by then.

Archived