NFL 2017: And Now It Begins!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And you better be rooting for the Vikings. Sorry you have to see them play The Factor of Sadness.

Getting the train down to London a couple of years ago I was sitting next to a guy from Cleveland and I was talking to him about being a Browns fan. Having connected on a human level to the misery of their fan base I do feel a bit sorry for them so I wouldn't mind seeing them do well.

On the other hand if I can get a novelty Viking hat I might switch my allegiance. I'm fickle that way.

5 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Looking at the Bears schedule, it's possible that they won't win a game until October. The front end of their schedule is ridiculously loaded.

Looking at the Bears roster, it's possible they won't win a game until next October. 

36 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Getting the train down to London a couple of years ago I was sitting next to a guy from Cleveland and I was talking to him about being a Browns fan. Having connected on a human level to the misery of their fan base I do feel a bit sorry for them so I wouldn't mind seeing them do well.

On the other hand if I can get a novelty Viking hat I might switch my allegiance. I'm fickle that way.

In fairness, we're a miserable fan base too, just in a different way. The Browns are bad and have always been bad while the Vikings have come close so, so many times and every time, literally every single time, we nearly won a Super Bowl we choked like dogs at the finish line. It's happened seven times.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

In fairness, we're a miserable fan base too, just in a different way. The Browns are bad and have always been bad while the Vikings have come close so, so many times and every time, literally every single time, we nearly won a Super Bowl we choked like dogs at the finish line. It's happened seven times.

Yeah, Cleveland certainly doesn't have any notable moments where they came close and choked.  Certainly none with universally recognized names like The Drive.  

14 hours ago, briantw said:

Yeah, Cleveland certainly doesn't have any notable moments where they came close and choked.  Certainly none with universally recognized names like The Drive.  

Not that The Drive wasn't heartbreaking, but that was the AFCCG at a time when the NFC was in the middle of the most dominant phase we've ever seen in the NFL.  Making the Super Bowl would have been great, but I do not like your chances against that Giants squad, who won playoff games against SF, Washington and Denver by 46, 17 and 19 points respectively.  So I'd say the championship wasn't exactly in reach the way it was for say, Buffalo in 1990 or Atlanta in 2017. 

14 hours ago, briantw said:

That hardly compares to choking in 4 Owls you were favored in on top of several NFC Championship game choke jobs. I was at one. It still hurts. I think we talked about this before, which is worse, rooting for a team that’s always bad or rooting for a team that always breaks your heart and you know they will?

Also, @Maithanetit looks like the Tyrannosaurs took a big blow.

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Browns are bad and have always been bad

Hey now! There was actually a time when the Browns used to dominate the NFL. Back when they first joined the league. In 1950.

*sigh*

I'm just going to start drinking now.

Saw some funny prop bets for tonight's game. I think the best was "over/under 29.5 seconds that Pats fans boo Goodell." I'd bet the over hard on that one.

The funny thing to me is Pats fans should be thanking him. He kept Watermelons fresh* and motivated the hell out of him and The Hoodie.

*Read a sports science article about how older QBs play falls off a lot more than younger Qbs after about the 17th game they play. So in effect, Brady benefited from only playing 15 games. 

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Saw some funny prop bets for tonight's game. I think the best was "over/under 29.5 seconds that Pats fans boo Goodell." I'd bet the over hard on that one.

The funny thing to me is Pats fans should be thanking him. He kept Watermelons fresh* and motivated the hell out of him and The Hoodie.

*Read a sports science article about how older QBs play falls off a lot more than younger Qbs after about the 17th game they play. So in effect, Brady benefited from only playing 15 games. 

Word is that Goodell is going to actually be out of the stadium before most fans get there. Too bad, because I'd love to have just the chance to see him react to 70,000 Goodell Clown towels waving like some Fear and Loathing at Circus Circus version of Pittsburgh's towels.

So the cat and mouse game continues, and the commissioner of the most powerful sports league in the country keeps dodging one of its cornerstone franchises. He could have just made a quiet appearance at some early game against a dogshit team and deflated this whole thing, but his desire to avoid even a second of vulnerability keeps pumping life into a stale story (strangely similar to how the Pats' stonewalling during Ballghazi made the league office even more determined to nail them). And since he's given fans here a hint that he's avoiding them or that they are getting to him in some way, they'll just never fucking let up.

31 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Word is that Goodell is going to actually be out of the stadium before most fans get there. Too bad, because I'd love to have just the chance to see him react to 70,000 Goodell Clown towels waving like some Fear and Loathing at Circus Circus version of Pittsburgh's towels.

So the cat and mouse game continues, and the commissioner of the most powerful sports league in the country keeps dodging one of its cornerstone franchises. He could have just made a quiet appearance at some early game against a dogshit team and deflated this whole thing, but his desire to avoid even a second of vulnerability keeps pumping life into a stale story (strangely similar to how the Pats' stonewalling during Ballghazi made the league office even more determined to nail them). And since he's given fans here a hint that he's avoiding them or that they are getting to him in some way, they'll just never fucking let up.

One thing I always loved about David Stern as the NBA Commish (well, I guess it was probably the only thing I loved about David Stern) was how he just reveled in the hate of the fans.  He fed off it.  He'd walk out with that Vince McMahon swagger and just soak in the hate, and by the time the crowd got tired of booing, you'd swear that Stern looked ten years younger.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

One thing I always loved about David Stern as the NBA Commish (well, I guess it was probably the only thing I loved about David Stern) was how he just reveled in the hate of the fans.  He fed off it.  He'd walk out with that Vince McMahon swagger and just soak in the hate, and by the time the crowd got tired of booing, you'd swear that Stern looked ten years younger.

And yet people here gave Rock no end of shit for going Cobra Kai in 2007...

But seriously, that's the better way to handle it. Gary Bettman of the NHL leans into the hate too, and that's the last time I'll suggest someone emulate Bettman.

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

And yet people here gave Rock no end of shit for going Cobra Kai in 2007...

But seriously, that's the better way to handle it. Gary Bettman of the NHL leans into the hate too, and that's the last time I'll suggest someone emulate Bettman.

Probably the best method is just to not be universally hated.  Adam Silver seems to have mostly pulled that off.  He still gets booed at the draft, but it's mostly people booing because they feel like they have to rather than because they actually hate the guy.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

That hardly compares to choking in 4 Owls you were favored in on top of several NFC Championship game choke jobs. I was at one. It still hurts. I think we talked about this before, which is worse, rooting for a team that’s always bad or rooting for a team that always breaks your heart and you know they will?

Also, @Maithanetit looks like the Tyrannosaurs took a big blow.

At least they decided to let you down early last year. I remember my ex's tentative proclamations after they went 5-0 last season: "I... I think they might really go to the superbowl this season.!" ...right before watching it all fall apart in that Eagles game. 

Oh sweet, summer child. 

Archived