Stay safe in the Caribbean, Florida, and the southeast coast -- Irma

Ormond

Unfortunately we now have another hurricane that is very likely to be causing major damage soon. Irma will soon be hitting small islands in the northeastern Caribbean -- and the tracks projected for it by the various models have converged so that it is extremely likely to impact the northern part of Puerto Rico and the Bahamas and is very likely to hit somewhere in Florida. If it doesn't hit Florida directly, it is very likely to go up along the east coast of Florida and hit Georgia and/or the Carolinas. It is already among the top 17 hurricanes ever in terms of recorded sustained wind speed, and will probably still be a major hurricane when it hits the Bahamas and the USA even if it isn't still a Category 5.

So anyone who lives in that part of the world, please pay attention and be prepared!

6 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

I have family and friends in Puerto Rico and Florida. The ones in Florida are scattered through out the southern, eastern and western part of the state. I hope they stay safe and can get the hell out of there if possible.

What are the plans in Puerto Rico?  Hope they have good shelters.  This storm is supposed to be at Cat 5 when it swings buy PI, are they supposed to get the full brunt of the Cat 5 winds?

51 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This storm is supposed to be at Cat 5 when it swings buy PI, are they supposed to get the full brunt of the Cat 5 winds?

Not quite. Forecasts seem to expect the center to be about 50 miles north of Puerto Rico -- and at the moment hurricane force winds extend 50 miles from the center. So the northern coast of Puerto Rico will be on the edge of hurricane force winds. However, there will still be a storm surge of at least five feet along the north coast, a large amount of rainfall and the potential for landslides -- and "category 1" level winds along the north coast aren't anything to be complacent about.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-what-know-florida-southeast-caribbean-impacts-matthew

A Category 1 hurricane has winds of 74 mph and above. Category 5 winds start at 157 mph.

And that's it. No Category 6.

"The top end of scale (Category 5) is reserved for a major hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 157 mph or higher," he said.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/there_is_no_such_thing_as_a_ca.html

Hope this doesn't turn out as devastating as it looks like it is going to be. Also hopes it doesn't swing our way. I'm supposed to be moving on Saturday, and if it looks like it will hit here I imagine that the way out will be packed and good luck getting my Uhaul reservation honored. People are starting to stock up around here.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What are the plans in Puerto Rico?  Hope they have good shelters.  This storm is supposed to be at Cat 5 when it swings buy PI, are they supposed to get the full brunt of the Cat 5 winds?

I honestly have no clue. They're my step mothers parents. Haven't reached out to them to find out what's going on. 

Stay safe everyone. 

My stepmother and two of my brothers are in South Florida. They're all staying. My stepmother says she went through Andrew and many Cat 4s and 5s, so she's going to pack in and hole up and ride it out. I think she should at least go to my brother's. He has a hurricane room that he put in after rebuilding from Jeanne and Frances in 2004. She says nope, she has water, beer and camping equipment. She's good to go.

You can't tell a 75 year old woman what to do, even if you don't agree with it. 

I heard that Puerto Rico could be without power for SIX MONTHS. 

Parents live in Gainesville.  Just talked to my mom, she's been swamped dealing with preparations for the library system she helps run.  Talked about how my dad freaked out and boarded up the house/brought in the patio furniture last year when it was entirely unnecessary.  Knowing him he'll be on that soon.  Sister lives in Tampa and she just asked my mom if her and her boyfriend could come up for the weekend.  Would not want to deal with that traffic.  Talked to the handful of friends in Orlando/Tampa areas I'm still in touch with, and while they're all prepared, each one seems to plan on staying.

14 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

People in positions of authority that simply don't get it Part 26,187

Fuck you, asshole. Nice work.

Here is the new tweet. States that fucking pi-, excuse me, law enforcement officers, will be checking IDs to protect people from "sex offenders".

I'm sure this has NOTHING to do with rooting out undocumented immigrants. Check out this guy's bio. He's a fucking piece of work.

Central Florida here. Stocked up on supplies and will be moving all our outdoor stuff inside over the next few days. Looks like the storm is going the way of Matthew last year and veering east.

Please do, Irma. Please do...

Archived