Stay safe in the Caribbean, Florida, and the southeast coast -- Irma

Ormond

the system works baby... $48 for a case of water in texas, now:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/06/travelers-complain-of-airfare-gouging-as-hurricane-irma-approaches.html

after extensive backlash (and admittedly jetblue setting the good example) most airlines have now capped fares around $99, but goddamn if they didn't try to capitalize 

1 hour ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

the system works baby... $48 for a case of water in texas, now:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/06/travelers-complain-of-airfare-gouging-as-hurricane-irma-approaches.html

after extensive backlash (and admittedly jetblue setting the good example) most airlines have now capped fares around $99, but goddamn if they didn't try to capitalize 

https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/905515896516567041

extremely good shit, lets keep this up

Latest storm track for most probable has her coming into s.Florida directly, then going back out to sea, and riding up the east coast, but off land, then heading into GA or SC coast.  This worries me as my dad lives beach front in SC, and he has medical issues and won't evacuate.

I'm on the SW coast of Florida, spent all day yesterday hauling garden crap inside.  But it is looking like my area won't get much (unless she moves).  We are staying, and keeping fingers crossed she doesn't come west.

Drove down 75 from Tampa to home yesterday morning, I 75N was a parking lot already, much of the SW coast is out of gas as well.

Saw a guy being interviewed, he was pretty proud of himself that he had managed to find and buy 58 cases of water.  Didn't seem to concerned that this would lead to other people not getting enough.  I'm pretty sure he plans on selling in in the next few days to make a profit.  

On the other hand, one of the owners of the company I work for, emailed the employees who live in Florida, telling up don't worry about working this week, take care of your family and property.  My supervisor lives in Charlotte, offered us a place to go.  So many decent people still.

We're planning as if there is going to be an evacuation here, but still a little too far to say. They're expecting it to have weakened to about 110 mph winds by the time it hits, although predicting record-breaking storm surge. Still hoping I'll be able to get out on time with my moving plan, and worried about my boyfriend who will be staying here. 

14 minutes ago, Starkess said:

We're planning as if there is going to be an evacuation here, but still a little too far to say. They're expecting it to have weakened to about 110 mph winds by the time it hits, although predicting record-breaking storm surge. Still hoping I'll be able to get out on time with my moving plan, and worried about my boyfriend who will be staying here. 

One of the attorneys in my office who works with SCDOT has let us know that they are planning on reversing lanes on I-26 this weekend.  FYI.

19 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

People in positions of authority that simply don't get it Part 26,187

Fuck you, asshole. Nice work.

What a fucking scumbag.  This shit just makes things worse. My cousin has a warrant for an unpaid traffic ticket and he's putting himself and his family in significant danger because they can't evacuate and won't go to a shelter for fear of being arrested and leaving his family without their breadwinner.  Fuck this fucking country sometimes.

3 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Oh my goodness, St. Martin and Barbadu are obliterated. :( Puerto Rico has no water or power. 

The damage is insane there. The only saving grace is that it is mostly the eye that is so very destructive at the moment.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

What a fucking scumbag.  This shit just makes things worse. My cousin has a warrant for an unpaid traffic ticket and he's putting himself and his family in significant danger because they can't evacuate and won't go to a shelter for fear of being arrested and leaving his family without their breadwinner.  Fuck this fucking country sometimes.

Yeah, it should be criminal to do this. This fucker is looking to pad his arrest stats on the back of a disaster? Disgusting.

14 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, it should be criminal to do this. This fucker is looking to pad his arrest stats on the back of a disaster? Disgusting.

I wouldn't think it's even particularly effective at doing that considering he's warning people they're going to arrest them.

To be honest it's not entirely illogical from the police's point of view to take the opportunity to apprehend dangerous criminals, I wouldn't consider the cost/benefit worth it for nonviolent criminals/suspects though. Either way telling people you're going to do it is just encouraging people not too seek shelter and risking lives. 

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

I wouldn't think it's even particularly effective at doing that considering he's warning people they're going to arrest them.

To be honest it's not entirely illogical from the police's point of view to take the opportunity to apprehend dangerous criminals, I wouldn't consider the cost/benefit worth it for nonviolent criminals/suspects though. Either way telling people you're going to do it is just encouraging people not too seek shelter and risking lives. 

Oh yeah, if you're talking about violent criminals, absolutely, but you're sure as hell not going to want to give those folks warning. Seems to me he's talking about warrants here, which are typically a lot less serious. Anyway, job one for these guys has to be public safety in the face of a disaster. Part of that might involve protecting the average citizen from a violent criminal, but it seems to me that's probably not the priority in these sorts of situations.

30 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Oh yeah, if you're talking about violent criminals, absolutely, but you're sure as hell not going to want to give those folks warning. Seems to me he's talking about warrants here, which are typically a lot less serious. Anyway, job one for these guys has to be public safety in the face of a disaster. Part of that might involve protecting the average citizen from a violent criminal, but it seems to me that's probably not the priority in these sorts of situations.

Also, the history of prisons in natural disasters is not exactly safe, secure, or humane.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2005/09/21/new-orleans-prisoners-abandoned-floodwaters

The Polk County reputation is not exactly sterling either...(4 separate deaths in 2017 -- googled in approx 2min)

http://wfla.com/2017/08/26/authorities-investigate-inmate-death-in-polk-county-jail/
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-polk-county-inmate-dies-20170627-story.html
http://www.theledger.com/news/20170708/winter-haven-man-dies-while-in-polk-county-jail
http://www.theledger.com/news/20170303/sheriffs-office-investigating-death-of-polk-county-jail-inmate

53 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Apprehending dangerous criminals who have warrants is theoretically sound.  However, what about those dangerous criminals who do not currently have warrants?  I'd prefer the police to be coordinating, monitoring, and policing the evacuation and shelters, keeping everyone safe, rather than expending resources tracking down warrants.  Better these dangerous criminals under a watchful police force's eye than out on the streets hurting people, right?

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

One of the attorneys in my office who works with SCDOT has let us know that they are planning on reversing lanes on I-26 this weekend.  FYI.

Yeah I'm not surprised. All the local schools are shutting down starting tomorrow and my boyfriend is helping prep Citadel for evac. Unfortunately I can't really move my schedule up too much because I haven't finished packing and I still need to pick up and load the truck. I was already planning to leave at 4 AM, now thinking I may have to try for 3 AM. We know someone who had to evac during Matthew and they said at 3 AM the streets were packed but moving at a decent pace.

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Apprehending dangerous criminals who have warrants is theoretically sound.  However, what about those dangerous criminals who do not currently have warrants?  I'd prefer the police to be coordinating, monitoring, and policing the evacuation and shelters, keeping everyone safe, rather than expending resources tracking down warrants.  Better these dangerous criminals under a watchful police force's eye than out on the streets hurting people, right?

Oh yeah, I'd agree with that. I think most people would at least agree picking up criminals should be a secondary consideration in this sort of situation.

My main point is regardless what you want to do, encourage people to seek shelter or arrest criminals you're looking for, a tweet like this is really stupid.

Miami, my favorite city in the U.S., looks like it's going to take a direct hit. Stay safe everyone.

"It looks like it's shifting, even though it may be just 20 miles, it puts Miami right in the worst possible position," CNN meteorologist Tom Sater said.

"Because when you look at the formidable storm, the strongest winds, the strongest storm surge, the bands of heavy rain are always in that north, northeastern quadrant.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/07/us/hurricane-irma-caribbean-florida/index.html

Archived