Stephen King's IT

Slurktan

I'm hoping it leads to a bunch more attempts at doing Stephen King novels are mid-budget movies. Dark Tower was a bust, but they're also doing The Stand again, and I'd love to see them take stabs at The Shining (again*), The Long Walk, Pet Sematary, and so forth.

* I like the Kubrick version of The Shining, but it does feel quite different in characterization from the book. 

42 minutes ago, Summer Bass said:

I'm hoping it leads to a bunch more attempts at doing Stephen King novels are mid-budget movies. Dark Tower was a bust, but they're also doing The Stand again, and I'd love to see them take stabs at The Shining (again*), The Long Walk, Pet Sematary, and so forth.

* I like the Kubrick version of The Shining, but it does feel quite different in characterization from the book. 

I hope it will lead to them doing more King adaptations that aren't a single movie.  The bulk of King's best novels would be much better served by a series of films or a limited TV series rather than a single film.

18 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

The Stand movie is dead, at the moment.

For now. Maybe they'll re-boot it again in two years, with a different director, different actors cast, etc.

Truth be told, I wouldn't be too sad if that one was never successfully remade (I liked the mini-series). I'd be much more interested to see someone try Needful Things, The Shining (again), Insomnia (after IT Chapter 2 is done), Revival, and the Long Walk. None of those would break the bank on budgeting, either - they could probably do them on an IT-sized budget ($30-50 million per film).

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Honestly I feel The Stand has aged very very badly. I loved it growing up but I read it now and there are, eh, issues.

That's the one that King revised in 1985, right? (The year the Captain Trips plague took place.) Originally published in 1978, if I recall. I wonder if it could be revised again? Of course that treads into the Possibly Needless Remake category, as I always felt the TV mini was a fine adaptation. 

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Honestly I feel The Stand has aged very very badly. I loved it growing up but I read it now and there are, eh, issues.

I finally read all of The Stand just the other week (had two very long plane rides), and I agree. I really like the basic concept, but almost all of the execution falls very short. The logic of non-supernatural elements is too shaky in a way King usually isn't, there are some of his worst pacing issues, and there are way too many unnecessary and unresolved plot threads. Plus the usual unsatisfactory ending.

There are so many other King works I'd like to see adapted first, and such better collapse-and-rebuilding-of-society stories that could be adapted instead (e.g. The Passage, at least the first book; and it seems like it may finally actually be leaving development hell).

On 9/19/2017 at 4:02 AM, Summer Bass said:

I think The Long Walk could be done well if they took a more futuristic view of it and created more of a backstory to The Major and some of the boys. Mixing genders and adding some females to the walkers would be a good idea as well.

I'd also love to see Eyes of the Dragon made into a film. With the success of LoTR, Hobbit, and GoT I could see a market for the film. Maybe there is not enough there and i am being sentimental but I loved that story. It was my first King book. 

On 19/09/2017 at 11:41 PM, Darth Richard II said:

The Stand movie is dead, at the moment.

With the amount of money "it" just made I suspect this is very much "at the moment". Luckily "it" came after "dark tower" or hollywood would still be hesitant about King films. They tend to base things on most recent performance though so I suspect King's down to earth works will be getting a good look over the next few months. 1922 on netflix looks promising too.

I watched "it" this afternoon. It was enjoyable and the quality of the young actors was outstanding. I really liked how the film was confident enough to let them carry the film with virtually no involvement from adult cast. This really helped the film because the whole point is that these kids are totally on their own. I imagine all those actors have potentially promising futures. If they do, I hope they know there will be pictures of them as teens in Y fronts constantly turning up in "before they were famous" type articles.

I found some of the jumpscares distracting - after a few I find it hard to remain part of the film when I know there's going to be a sudden change in screech sound effects. Some elements also seemed a bit odd. Ritchie is scared of clowns yet inexplicably is the last one to be attacked by Pennywise!??? That and he doesn't seem at all worried when the others are mentioning killer clowns. That seemed a bit odd to me. The black kid was uncomfortably a bit of an extra which was a shame as his opening scene was great but it then took him most of the film to join the losers.

The bully did a great job of being menacing.

Skarsgard was chilling. A lot of the time he felt a bit cartoonish (I spent a lot of the film thinking he was the product of an unholy joining of Roger Rabbit and Ronald MacDonald).

I think I'd have actually liked some of the  film covering previous generations or some origin type story from Pennywise's view. Why was the clown persona his default? Although with the money this film has made, if part 2 does as well, we'll be getting prequels or further sequels without doubt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just watched it and I feel like the ending makes little sense without the 'ritual' to be honest. Why is it that the kids had no fear of the clown all of a sudden? Also, I found Beverly's role among the group unbelievable and not very compelling. I think the movie did a really poor job of showing how her relationship with her abusive father affected her actions outside of the house. Another problem was the fact that the movie had almost no time to develop Mike's character or story and he ended up feeling unnecessary. :dunno:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
20 hours ago, RumHam said:

Has anyone been watching Castle Rock? Is it worth signing up to Hulu for a week or so for? 

Just to keep this on topic here's a picture of the adult Loser's Club one of them tweeted the other day.

https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1023999913636581376

I've watched two episodes so far and find it interesting and engaging. I just can't decide for sure if it's because the story is actually good or I'm just having fun connecting all the references to all of King's other stories.

Still, very nice to see Shawshank again as The Shawshank Redemption is in my top five all time favorite movies. I've always liked Jane Levy and Melanie Lynskey as actresses as well as Noel Fisher, an actor who I liked in Shameless is doing a good job in Calstle Rock.

I'd say it's worth checking out, if you don't like it there's always The Handmaid's Tale and a few other good shows available on Hulu.

3 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I've watched two episodes so far and find it interesting and engaging. I just can't decide for sure if it's because the story is actually good or I'm just having fun connecting all the references to all of King's other stories.

Still, very nice to see Shawshank again as The Shawshank Redemption is in my top five all time favorite movies. I've always liked Jane Levy and Melanie Lynskey as actresses as well as Noel Fisher, an actor who I liked in Shameless is doing a good job in Calstle Rock.

I'd say it's worth checking out, if you don't like it there's always The Handmaid's Tale and a few other good shows available on Hulu.

Thanks, I think I'll do that. 

I also just read they cast Dick Halloran in the Doctor Sleep movie. That should confuse some people. I wonder how they'll market the movie. "The Sequel to The Shining! But the book not so much the film."

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

Thanks, I think I'll do that. 

I also just read they cast Dick Halloran in the Doctor Sleep movie. That should confuse some people. I wonder how they'll market the movie. "The Sequel to The Shining! But the book not so much the film."

Oops, forgot to mention, they're only putting up episodes week to week. There's only four episodes up right now, each new one comes out on Wednesdays I think.

On 12/28/2017 at 8:00 AM, Hello World said:

I just watched it and I feel like the ending makes little sense without the 'ritual' to be honest. Why is it that the kids had no fear of the clown all of a sudden? Also, I found Beverly's role among the group unbelievable and not very compelling. I think the movie did a really poor job of showing how her relationship with her abusive father affected her actions outside of the house. Another problem was the fact that the movie had almost no time to develop Mike's character or story and he ended up feeling unnecessary. :dunno:

I was really hyped to watch it because if the great reviews and word of mouth, but I was tremendously disappointed.  I agree, Mike was like a weird after thought, and to me, Beverly's dress and manner made her seem much older than the boys which I found off putting, she seemed like a teenager and they were like pre teens, also, it wasn't very scary.  Another critical success that baffles me.

Archived