Movie vs Final Season

9 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

The show runners do not have the time Martin has had to write the books. Having diverse writers can provide different perspectives that a single writer may not consider given the time constraints.

I get that. And honestly, I can't say they are too poor since they are writing the equivalent of several movies every year. However, I insist that adding more cooks does not auto result in a better dish. Especially the part about women writing better "human" scenes just because uterus. 

As many writers as these guys have and the show is still getting poorer. Also, Martin has way more help with his writing now than he did when he started, as well as taking more time between books, and his writing has also suffered. So I do not think you can boil it down to a simple (Writers + more+ Woman + more time = better). If all of them are bad then that just results in wasted money.

*When I say Martin's writing has gone down, I am not saying it's objectively trash. Just saying that his books went from an avg 4.5 stars to 3.5, and recently back to 4. And 3 star and below ratings have increased greatly.  while his work is still better than most, it has gotten worse when compared to itself) Just being clear cause for some reason some folks always assume I am saying ASOIAF is now trash tier lit. 

On 9/12/2017 at 5:08 AM, 4 Eyed Crow said:

In season 8, they will make each of the six episodes feature film length, so we're going to basically get SIX movies. I don't expect that it will solve everything, but I think it will be better than getting a 3 part movie. 

This.

Why would you want the story rushed even more, and have less of it? That's what you'd get with a film trilogy, along with unrecognizable characters due to the kids are still in the process of becoming adults.

Besides, TV is way better than Cinema these days... 

On 12/09/2017 at 1:29 PM, MinscS2 said:

HBO has both the budget and the will to do hundreds of GoT-episodes

But do they have the story? Anyone can do hundreds of episodes of soap-opera nonsense, that's easy enough and pretty much every broadcaster has at least one or two of those in their day-time line-up. Plenty are in the 5000+ episodes numbers.

15 minutes ago, Anarres said:

But do they have the story? Anyone can do hundreds of episodes of soap-opera nonsense, that's easy enough and pretty much every broadcaster has at least one or two of those in their day-time line-up. Plenty are in the 5000+ episodes numbers.

No, but they could easily do more than 7 episodes in season 6 and 6 episodes in season 8. :)

4 hours ago, Anarres said:

4 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

No, but they could easily do more than 7 episodes in season 6 and 6 episodes in season 8. :)

This.  I'm fine with them wanting to end it, but there's no denying this season was insanely rushed because of the 7 episodes.  I could just imagine if they had a full 10 episodes how much better they could build things up and maybe try to make more sense of certain parts of the story. 

I'm hopeful Season 8 will be perfect as far as pacing goes since all the episodes are supposed to be so long.  They should have more than enough time to tell the story.  

I think production and budget realities are a big part of why we're only seeing 7 next season 6 episodes of game of thrones. HBO would probably like 10 episode seasons but would that really mean better stories or just filler that was wasting screentime and budget to make. It took them over a year to make this season and we have no reason to assume a shorter schedule next season. 

I don't think movies are a good idea at all because they tend to be even moer focussed on main characters rather then side (so pretty much only Jon/Dany/Cercei). 

On 9/14/2017 at 7:03 AM, MrJay said:

I agree with the sentiment, but not the statement. 

GRRM is one man and many women have said he writes women well. Meanwhile, D&D alone would result in 2x the writing power and yet they fall short. 

I'll take one exceptional writer over a have dozen smucks. And though I hate to be that guy, assuming men cannot write "human" moments is a tad sexist. Would you be happy if they hired Stephanie Meyer or El James? They are women. 

But they are not exceptional writers, and the show was better when they had more

15 hours ago, Tagganaro said:

This.  I'm fine with them wanting to end it, but there's no denying this season was insanely rushed because of the 7 episodes.  I could just imagine if they had a full 10 episodes how much better they could build things up and maybe try to make more sense of certain parts of the story. 

I'm hopeful Season 8 will be perfect as far as pacing goes since all the episodes are supposed to be so long.  They should have more than enough time to tell the story.  

As much as I want a ridiculous amount more of the show, I don't think they've got much choice because of the story itself.

Think about it - Bran's story is all but finished. Their biggest problem is distracting the viewers enough, and getting them invested in Jon & Dany enough to be distracted away from the obvious, and that is Bran. 

Once Bran knows he's the Oracle of Time/Time Lord Bran, etc....  and how to use/control his gift, he's the guy who can fix all of it, which is happening now. I get why they cut the Sansa/Bran scene, regarding Littlefinger. It made for fun surprises, but also didn't show us exactly how close to mastering it he is.

Once Bran knows the path to take, it doesn't matter who the enemy is, (Cersei is the End Boss), the story is over.

Bran's story has always been ahead of everyone else's. Even in the books. 

8 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

As much as I want a ridiculous amount more of the show, I don't think they've got much choice because of the story itself.

Think about it - Bran's story is all but finished. Their biggest problem is distracting the viewers enough, and getting them invested in Jon & Dany enough to be distracted away from the obvious, and that is Bran. 

Once Bran knows he's the Oracle of Time/Time Lord Bran, etc....  and how to use/control his gift, he's the guy who can fix all of it, which is happening now. I get why they cut the Sansa/Bran scene, regarding Littlefinger. It made for fun surprises, but also didn't show us exactly how close to mastering it he is.

Once Bran knows the path to take, it doesn't matter who the enemy is, (Cersei is the End Boss), the story is over.

Bran's story has always been ahead of everyone else's. Even in the books. 

I agree that at this point the show is all but finished.  They moved at hyperspeed in Season 7 and moved through at least 2 seasons worth of plot in 7 episodes.  Like just thinking back to episode 5, they had sort of a throwaway meeting between Tyrion and Jaime in King's Landing that took up 5 minutes of screentime- in a normal situation, at least an entire episode would be devoted to that meeting and how it took place.  SImilar to that, I think Jon and Dany ideally would have taken a season or 2 to warm up to each other- instead it took place over 1 or 2 episodes.  

And yes, completely agree on Bran.  He's always been ahead of the plot and now the show realizes they have this superpowered character who can end everything and they had to pump the brakes.  

On 9/15/2017 at 1:34 AM, MrJay said:

I get that. And honestly, I can't say they are too poor since they are writing the equivalent of several movies every year. However, I insist that adding more cooks does not auto result in a better dish. Especially the part about women writing better "human" scenes just because uterus. 

As many writers as these guys have and the show is still getting poorer. Also, Martin has way more help with his writing now than he did when he started, as well as taking more time between books, and his writing has also suffered. So I do not think you can boil it down to a simple (Writers + more+ Woman + more time = better). If all of them are bad then that just results in wasted money.

I don't disagree. But with a show like GoT, I trust them to hire competent writers, men and women. And if I'm not mistaken, season 7 did not have any women writers, which doesn't necessarily mean the male writers were incompetent and bad, just that adding diversity could have given a more well rounded result.

On 9/16/2017 at 0:36 PM, TyrionFan82 said:

Would it be cool? That's questionable because I don't think D&D would do a good job. I am looking forward to S8 however and considering it's going to be 6 longer episodes I think it'll be better as much as it can be.

HBO does have a really great budget and the CGI is movie quality. So I'm not sure if it would make that great a difference if the final season was in movie format. With television, I suppose we'll get more of the show in terms of length, so I would probably choose TV.

8 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

HBO does have a really great budget and the CGI is movie quality. So I'm not sure if it would make that great a difference if the final season was in movie format. With television, I suppose we'll get more of the show in terms of length, so I would probably choose TV.

This. I don't even understand what the difference would be at this point.

On 14/09/2017 at 6:17 AM, Apoplexy said:

If I'm not mistaken, the original plan that D&D had was for seven seasons. HBO wanted more seasons, but they stuck with their original plan, doing only 3 extra episodes (if the original season 7 had 10 episodes). I don't blame them for sticking with their original outline.

But for whatever reason, they got the pacing all wrong. They landed at season 7 having to cram far too much into the remaining episodes. The story should have been further advanced by then. There was plenty of stuff, such as Dorne, or Arya traipsing all over Westeros with the Hound, then faffing around and watching plays in Braavos, or Dany invading one city after another and having to deal with an uprising instead of getting to Westeros, that could have been cut out or compressed. It wouldn't be so rushed now if it had been planned better.

MJ: Game of Thrones could last eight or nine seasons. Does that mean putting novel writing on hold for a decade?

B&W: Yes, if we live that long and HBO keeps wanting to make the show. We have the opportunity here to tell a coherent story that lasts for 80 hours. And while a canvas of that size presents all sorts of storytelling problems, it also allows us to spend more time with these characters we love than we’ll ever get again. Every once in a while we get five minutes to think about thinking about novels. But mostly we’re just happy when we get to read one now and again.

http://www.motherjones.com/media/2013/03/hbo-game-thrones-season-3-interview-david-benioff-dan-weiss/

The above is from an interview before season 3. It is fairly clear that we have are in the intended end cycle of the series.

It is a TV show and will end as a TV show. I do not understand how going to a movie will "make things right".

I do not find the show ruined. Even with flaws I still found the season overall very good and falls within the middle of my personal season rankings.

23 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

http://www.motherjones.com/media/2013/03/hbo-game-thrones-season-3-interview-david-benioff-dan-weiss/

The above is from an interview before season 3. It is fairly clear that we have are in the intended end cycle of the series.

It is a TV show and will end as a TV show. I do not understand how going to a movie will "make things right".

I do not find the show ruined. Even with flaws I still found the season overall very good and falls within the middle of my personal season rankings.

Thanks for sharing.

Interesting article. Would be curious to hear one day how or why they decided to go from 80 hours to ~73 hours give or take. 

On 9/15/2017 at 2:01 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

But they are not exceptional writers, and the show was better when they had more

It's less a writing thing and more a "how much time you have left", thing. If you are limiting it to 7 episodes, there isn't much more room in there. If you add another writer, they are just going to suggest something and there ilwont be time for it. 

In season 1 or 2 that quest to find a wight could have been 3-5 episodes. Now it has to be one. They are already condensing too much. 

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

It's less a writing thing and more a "how much time you have left", thing. If you are limiting it to 7 episodes, there isn't much more room in there. If you add another writer, they are just going to suggest something and there ilwont be time for it. 

In season 1 or 2 that quest to find a wight could have been 3-5 episodes. Now it has to be one. They are already condensing too much. 

Both things actually.

21 hours ago, triton333 said:

But for whatever reason, they got the pacing all wrong. They landed at season 7 having to cram far too much into the remaining episodes. The story should have been further advanced by then. There was plenty of stuff, such as Dorne, or Arya traipsing all over Westeros with the Hound, then faffing around and watching plays in Braavos, or Dany invading one city after another and having to deal with an uprising instead of getting to Westeros, that could have been cut out or compressed. It wouldn't be so rushed now if it had been planned better.

People complained when Stoneheart got cut. They complained when Jamie didn't tell the truth about Tyrion's wife. They screamed bloody murder when Sansa's time in the Vale was compressed to set up the Winterfell plot going faster. 

And even if you cut all that, other plots timing wouldn't have been better. We just would have more Bran in season 5 issues with characters being ignored for entire seasons. 

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

And even if you cut all that, other plots timing wouldn't have been better. We just would have more Bran in season 5 issues with characters being ignored for entire seasons. 

Yes, Bran, another long-winded thread. But my point was that the other plot timings could have been better. Dany's setting sail for Westeros was a great way to end season 6 - perfect, really - but it was at the cost of the pacing of rest of the story that it didn't happen earlier.

Archived