The Deuce

Zorral

God Dammit, Cool Lester Smooth! At long last.

I really like this show and think its been great all the way through. There hasn't been a single episode I disliked. So I'm really looking forward to where they are going with this in future seasons.

Plus there's another The Wire connection, one that I cant really take the credit for discovering. The assistant on Harvey's movies played a very minor character with her own mini-arc over three episodes and three seasons.

I had no idea last night's episode was the finale until after it was over. Kinda disappointed it was so short, I want more! It was so good the whole way through. 

I was wondering when Clarke Peters would pop up. I hope he has a role to play going forward, but if it was just a cameo it was a pretty good one I think. 

Yeah Peters was a nice surprise, I'd looked previously and found no mention of him being involved. Minor thing, but I wish they'd titled the episode something else. I just knew something bad was going to happen to Ruby. Anyway I'm looking forward to season two. Which I assume will be mostly about an unrelated group of polish dock workers. 

Seen various uploads for the soundtrack, not certain if this is every track because one upload was 54 songs, another about 60, this one lists 40 some tracks 

Whatever the official, inclusive total, its an extraordinary soundtrack. Some real thought and period piece knowledge went into these selections

Here was a video upload of 61 songs, hopefully autoplay works for all of them, some great stuff 

I liked the episode more after discovering Ruby was based on a real character and those events actually happened. It pays to watch the short after episode. I missed Candy wearing Ruby's coat at the end.

Speaking of Candy, she was a great character. The most interesting story all season.

I expected Deep Throat after the mention last  episode and a Linda Lovelace cameo.

Was that band playing the Hi Hat referencing an actual one?

So was the new Captain playing Alston from the beginning? Or did I read his chumminess with the other officers at the end wrong?

I wonder what will happen with Laura and Larry Brown next season.

Interesting first season. Like all David Simon's works, a slow build, but hard-hitting. Looking forward to the next season and the progression of the stories.

41 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Was that band playing the Hi Hat referencing an actual one?

What’s the significance of the band doing the “96 Tears” cover at the bar in the finale?

Pelecanos: It’s Garland Jeffreys. He was covering that song in the early 70s, and he’d sometimes performed it in blackface, though he’s half-black himself. When punk started in the ’70s, they were covering a lot of garage band songs in the ’60s that were punk before punk, and that was one of them. What we’re doing there is saying, “There’s something happening here, but it hasn’t been identified.”

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-deuce-recap-my-name-is-ruby-review-spoilers-season-finale-david-simon-george-pelecanos-interview/

They also mention that next season will jump ahead to the late 70's, and the final season to the mid 80's. Not all the characters will make the transition to season two. But the good news is: 

Leon’s not in the finale. Should we assume he’s not going to be one of the people we see again when we jump to the late ’70s?

Simon: I don’t know. I mean, we’re coming back seven years later. I figure the diner probably stayed in his family. Someone came up from Carolina to work that counter. If you’d seen the counter, there was a shot or two where you see a new guy running the thing.

Pelecanos: Don’t assume that Leon is not coming back. That’s six or seven years, he shot a pimp, which a lot of people consider to be a society cleanse, including judges and juries. So Leon may not be away for too long. Plus, it’s Anwan Glover. He comes with us.

Other than Ashley and the dead people, I wonder who they're gonna cut loose. I don't really want to see anyone go. Method Man's character seems to be the least interesting of the pimps so maybe him? Maybe Sandra the reporter? Berniece would probably have cracked by then I guess. I don't remember the last time we saw Gentle Richie. Plus I guess some of the mob guys could be dead by then maybe? Harvey may not return of Candy has already moved on and started her own production company or something. Plus if he did return he'd look drastically different due to the actor's weight loss.

41 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I wonder what will happen with Laura and Larry Brown next season.

You mean Shay who got busted in the federal drug sting? I don't recall a Laura. There's Lori, but she's with CC. With the time jump Shay may be getting released around then, but I'm not sure. 

52 minutes ago, RumHam said:

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-deuce-recap-my-name-is-ruby-review-spoilers-season-finale-david-simon-george-pelecanos-interview/

You mean Shay who got busted in the federal drug sting? I don't recall a Laura. There's Lori, but she's with CC. With the time jump Shay may be getting released around then, but I'm not sure. 

Thanks for the info.

No idea why I typed Laura. I meant Barbara, the one who arrested by DEA.

5 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Thanks for the info.

No idea why I typed Laura. I meant Barbara, the one who arrested by DEA.

Huh, see I thought that was Shay who the DEA got. It can get quite confusing the first time you watch one of these shows. 

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to watching the rest of season one. The first four episodes were very slow, but the second half of the season was extremely engrossing, and I'm very eager to see the next season now. 

The acting was great all-around, although Maggie Gyllenhaal was definitely the stand-out performer to me. James Franco grew on me over the course of the season, but only as Vincent; Frankie is an extraneous character that the show would be wise to rid themselves of. Since he's already deeply-tied to the mob, I could see him getting killed off next season. 

Despite having such a small role, Big Mike ended up becoming one of my favorite characters. He had hidden depths.

Out of all the female characters on the show, the one I'm most torn on is Abby. She seemed to fluctuate between being an entitled party-girl who's constantly looking down her nose and a protective mama-bear for the abused women of the Deuce. I struggled to find much interest in her story.

The showrunners have already confirmed that they're going to be covering the AIDS crisis further on down the road, which gave this season a dark sense of foreboding for me. It's going to be painful to watch when the show reaches that point, but after completing the first season, I expect that it will also be approached in a way that's both poignant and meaningful.

• 6 months later...
42 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

David Simon does not get enough props from us TV wonks

He created what is pretty widely regarded as the greatest television drama of all time.  How many more props does the dude need?

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

He created what is pretty widely regarded as the greatest television drama of all time.  How many more props does the dude need?

Can we give him a best achievement in popular HBO series making award?

Archived