Jon and the North

11 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

And Jorah stomps his foot in frustration. 

Lol.

that was actually the only thing about the scene I did not like. 

I liked the interpretation of Jorah giving his blessing to their relationship when he told Jon to keep Longclaw for his children. 

Having Jorah say what he said muddies that unless we assume that he was being genuine. I get why it makes sense for him to say it since he is from the North and he is taking a leadership role on the strategy, but they should have had Tyrion say it. He was being a douche all year anyways. 

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

Lol. The real mystery of Season 7 is did Jon get pre clearance for that ahead of time or did he actually have the game to just pull that off. 

Jon has come a long way from Season 1 when he not very convincingly tells Sam he knows where to put it

EDIT: he still is not at dario level though. Dario would not have knocked. Although she loves Jon and not Dario so props to Jon for that. 

I don't think he had pre-clearance. But Dany has been dropping very clear hints that it was okay for him to make a move. This was a very gentle flirtation. Nothing overt like with Daario. She just gives adoring smiles, her eyes soften, her attitude is sweet, she is open about her deepest insecurities (especially in the Dragonpit scene) and she does that all after he has made his intentions clearer (by trying to hold onto her hand when she was about to leave in 7x06). She saw that, and her reaction was not to withdraw or close off but to share more, to trust him more, to become more informal, more open, more like what we saw in 7x07 in the Dragonpit. Then the whole "we sail together" and the look and expressions that came with it. So it was a very clear signal to him that she was open to him making a move. But I don't thin she pushed any further. From the end of 7x06, Jon becme (for the first time in his life) a pursuer.

Kudos to Ser Davos who had the foresight to collect fermented crab already in 7x05. LOL

14 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Lol.

that was actually the only thing about the scene I did not like. 

I liked the interpretation of Jorah giving his blessing to their relationship when he told Jon to keep Longclaw for his children. 

Having Jorah say what he said muddies that unless we assume that he was being genuine. I get why it makes sense for him to say it since he is from the North and he is taking a leadership role on the strategy, but they should have had Tyrion say it. He was being a douche all year anyways. 

Jorah can give his blessing, but it can still hurt when it is happening in front of you. He can't turn his heart off, even if he knows Jon is a better man for her. I find this conflict completely natural.

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

Had quoted that one already above.

but that one is the all timer. The westerosi version of netflix and chill. 

"Sailing together is essential to the creation of successful military alliances."---The Book Of Tyrion, discovered at the Citadel as preserving wisdom from the time of the last Long Night

14 minutes ago, Hajk1984 said:

Jorah can give his blessing, but it can still hurt when it is happening in front of you. He can't turn his heart off, even if he knows Jon is a better man for her. I find this conflict completely natural.

Although thinking about it... did he really give his blessing? He must know Dany can’t have kids. 

The dude was trying to be subtle and remind Jon kids are important cause he knew he coildn’t have them with Dany.

57 minutes ago, Hajk1984 said:

Jorah can give his blessing, but it can still hurt when it is happening in front of you.

Well, it didn't happen right in front of him, because he didn't stand right next to Dany's door all night waiting for Jon to enter her room right in front of him, so he could listen to what they're up to right on the other side of the door right in front of him. Although possibly only because Tyrion was already there and there was no more room in the shadows of a narrow boat corridor.

53 minutes ago, falcotron said:

he didn't stand right next to Dany's door all night waiting for Jon to enter her room right in front of him

Though I'd like to see the deleted scene of that happening, with D & D in an 'Inside the Episode' explaining it.

D #1: Uh, creatively it made sense because, uh, we wanted to show how deep in the friendzone Jorah is.

D #2: Niceguy philosophy, uh, is what made us start down the road of making Jorah more sympathetic than he was in the books, so uh, no-one would mind if we borrow a few quotes.

D #1: It's like, uh, Jon is the Chad, but he's a nice chad, which niceguys don't think is possible, but we uh, we like to subvert things.

D #2: Anyway, the quote of the scene is 'I was there since the beginning, but he was a, uh, knock on the door'. Which was, uh, quite literal, if you didn't notice...

D #1: And we think this has, uh, significance to all the hurting niceguys™ out there.

5 hours ago, jcmontea said:

Although thinking about it... did he really give his blessing? He must know Dany can’t have kids. 

The dude was trying to be subtle and remind Jon kids are important cause he knew he coildn’t have them with Dany.

I think Jorah likes Jon and approves of him, maybe even as a suitor for Dany since he likes him personally, but I don't think Ser Friendzone can ever really give his blessing to someone to pursue Dany.  Since the wight hunt makes very little sense to begin with, I love the idea of interpreting it as a pissing contest between Jorah and Jon put on for Dany, which is actually reinforced the next episode with her talking about Jon and Jorah being heroes.  

2 hours ago, Tagganaro said:

I think Jorah likes Jon and approves of him, maybe even as a suitor for Dany since he likes him personally, but I don't think Ser Friendzone can ever really give his blessing to someone to pursue Dany.  Since the wight hunt makes very little sense to begin with, I love the idea of interpreting it as a pissing contest between Jorah and Jon put on for Dany, which is actually reinforced the next episode with her talking about Jon and Jorah being heroes.  

I think your 100% right. 

There was totally a pissing contest between Jon and Jorah in the lead up to beyond the wall. Jon was like f* that no way is this dude who got a nice hug from Dany going to out hero me for her. 

8 hours ago, Hajk1984 said:

I don't think he had pre-clearance. But Dany has been dropping very clear hints that it was okay for him to make a move. This was a very gentle flirtation. Nothing overt like with Daario. She just gives adoring smiles, her eyes soften, her attitude is sweet, she is open about her deepest insecurities (especially in the Dragonpit scene) and she does that all after he has made his intentions clearer (by trying to hold onto her hand when she was about to leave in 7x06). She saw that, and her reaction was not to withdraw or close off but to share more, to trust him more, to become more informal, more open, more like what we saw in 7x07 in the Dragonpit. Then the whole "we sail together" and the look and expressions that came with it. So it was a very clear signal to him that she was open to him making a move. But I don't thin she pushed any further. From the end of 7x06, Jon becme (for the first time in his life) a pursuer.

This. He didn't have pre-clearance, but she made it very clear to him that she didn't disapprove of where things were going between them.
Jon made his intentions and feelings for Dany clear (both to her and the audience) during their scene together on the boat in 7x06, and while Dany's initial reaction is to pull away (and rightly so, it wasn't the best moment to get too intimate, he was still recovering and she had just lost one of her children), during the entire of 7x07 however, she doesn't avoid him or act like the whole thing was awkward, instead she does the opposite.

Edit: As for Jorah, I get the impression that his feelings on the matter are intentionally ambiguous. He doesn't seem to disapprove of Jon (he openly disapproved of Daario), and the scene where Jon wants to return Longclaw but Jorah refuses gives me the impression that he likes (or at the very least respects) Jon, but the "and your children after you"-comment can be a subtle hint from him saying "you won't have any children if you pursue Daenerys, so you better pursue someone else" (Since Jorah knows she's barren. Although there might be no ulterior motive to what he said, and it simply is foreshadowing of her getting pregnant in the first place), and the fact that he seemed a bit frustrated by Daenerys choice to sail with Jon instead of fly to the North indicates that he didn't like the idea of them two together on the ship. But then again, maybe he simply cares about her safety, and it would be safer for her to fly.

Either way, as anyone who has suffered trough unrequited love can tell you, it still sucks even if the person you love ends up with someone you actually approve of. 

2 hours ago, Sir Hedge of Hog said:

so when do you think we will hear wedding bells? before or after the battle with the WW & NK?

If it happens, which is a big if, I would think it would be a final episode thing but not really sure. 

I could see it happen sooner if she is pregnant and they want to ensure that the baby isn’t born a bastard if Jon were to die in the war. 

The most realistic thing would be to get married on the boat or ASAP. F* sailing together. You want to show the North you are allies get married. But that would significantly reduce any drama they can milk from the R+L=J reveal so prob not going to happen. 

Makes me wonder, was Lyanna already pregnanat when she married Rhaegar? Did they know she was pregnant? 

Archived