Casterly Rock Why?

saravs

1. Tyrion didn't know the gold mines had run dry. If you remember, the scene was between Tywin and Cersei while Tyrion was in jail. He would have absolutely no way of knowing that. 

2. He overestimated Cersei's sentimental value of the Rock. He didn't expect Cersei and Jaime would let the Rock fall without giving much of a fuck. 

19 minutes ago, LittleScorpion said:

1. Tyrion didn't know the gold mines had run dry. If you remember, the scene was between Tywin and Cersei while Tyrion was in jail. He would have absolutely no way of knowing that. 

2. He overestimated Cersei's sentimental value of the Rock. He didn't expect Cersei and Jaime would let the Rock fall without giving much of a fuck. 

I also think there was also an element of hubris. 

He always thought he was so much smarter than Cersei. 

11 hours ago, jcmontea said:

I also think there was also an element of hubris. 

Also, I think he still really, really wants to take Casterly Rock away from Cersei, because he was supposed to be the heir—far more so than he consciously realizes, which may have distorted his judgment a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the idea of Tyrion still secretly trying to help Jamie would be interesting if they decide to go toward that direction with the plot. I don't know if they set up the "Tyrion purposely sabotages Dany" plot line enough to make complete sense, but the foundation is definitely there.

well to be fair I don't think tyrion knew that there was no gold left. Also since the lannisters went from having an obscene amount of people in their family like they did in the books it suddenly had all but tywin's three children go missing. That said losing your homebase is a big deal. but with no lannisters there and no gold it isn't a big deal considering the fact she will lose alot of soldiers taking it.

On 9/22/2017 at 3:30 AM, MrJay said:

DOTHRAKI ON AN OPEN FIELD NED!

Pardon me. Had a Bobby B moment.

That's what I meant, so sorry for how I worded it. My point was that Casterly Rock is basically a castle on top of a mountain/cliff. When they described the battle I recall someone saying that they can bunker down and no amount of dragon spit is gonna melt "The Rock". So how did it fall the first time? Did their leaders just decide to face a dragon...on an open field ned!

well while it may be made of rock it does melt and at an incredible heat and there are holdes and windows and such that the fire can go through to get at the people inside. If they were smart and heartless they would have the dragons come in at night and attack and then send in the unsullied the next day to take it from whoever is left. And I say heartless because it would kill a bunch of people.  and it's alright I have those moments of "huh" as well.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:45 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Tywin meant Winterfell, through Tyrion's marriage to Sansa.

no I don't think so I think he just meant I am not giving you the great casterly rock. Even though in the show the only male heirs in the entire lannister family by this time are lancel and tyrion and kevan. The rest seem to have dissapeared. And since kevan is roughly the same age as tywim it is really just lancel and tyrion. so basically the man who says family name is everything is willing to let it all die because he hates tyrion. If they had included maybe one more real heir to casterly rock this would have made sense.

On 12/3/2017 at 4:20 PM, snow is the man said:

no I don't think so I think he just meant I am not giving you the great casterly rock. Even though in the show the only male heirs in the entire lannister family by this time are lancel and tyrion and kevan. The rest seem to have dissapeared. And since kevan is roughly the same age as tywim it is really just lancel and tyrion. so basically the man who says family name is everything is willing to let it all die because he hates tyrion. If they had included maybe one more real heir to casterly rock this would have made sense.

No, it's explicit in the books. Tywin planned for Tyrion to inherit Winterfell through his marriage to Sansa, and to convince Jaime to leave the Kingsguard and inherit Casterly Rock.

I don't see Tyrion's logic here. Besides what would have been roughly a 10,000 to 8,000 man advantage, being prepared, well trained, better armor, and more weapons, the Lannisters would be fighting in their house on their turf. In an enclosed field of battle with swords against spears, surrounded with no place to retreat or flee, and no hope of surrender. How could he believe the Unsullied  have more incentive?

On 12/7/2017 at 3:52 AM, Rast said:

I don't see Tyrion's logic here. Besides what would have been roughly a 10,000 to 8,000 man advantage, being prepared, well trained, better armor, and more weapons, the Lannisters would be fighting in their house on their turf. In an enclosed field of battle with swords against spears, surrounded with no place to retreat or flee, and no hope of surrender. How could he believe the Unsullied  have more incentive?

Also, the Lannisters are seasoned warriors while the Unsullied have only acted as a police force.

On 12/13/2017 at 4:00 AM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

But the Unsullied were trained to be warriors since infancy, and warriors so good that 3000 of them defeated a khalasar of 50,000 Dothraki.

Why no hope of surrender?

There's no denying their skill but facing an opponent in a real life or death fight is different as we saw when they encountered the SOTH. Say what you want about the Lannisters but their army has war experience. Knowing Cersei I'm sure she had them informed that Daenerys would either crucify the prisoners or feed them to her dragons.

Archived