CHICKENS! The yard bird edition

Lily Valley

I want some chickens for my new place.  We have a big yard and very little traffic on the new street.  I've always loved the New Orleans free range chicken population and now I want some of my very own.  The GF has experience with chickens and eggs are delicious.  Anyone else have them?  What breeds do you like?  Tips on coop building and winterization?   Chicken stories?  Let me have it.   

EDIT:  ALSO THIS WILL MEAN WE CAN PLAY CHICKEN DROP AT MY BARBECUES!

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Watch out for the evil ones ;)

I can't say I know very much about chickens, but the Polish sounds like it would be a fun, comical chicken to have around.

Well... those that are evil incarnate are really the problem.  The "evil" chickens just peck at you.  

We used to have chickens when I grew up. In the Netherlands so relevance might be iffy.

We had bantams, which were nice even if the roosters were aggressive bastards. They were free in the garden in late Summer, Autumn, Winter, but we did lose some to dogs in the end. Strangely our cats were never an issue.

For the coop, make sure it is easy to clean, and has easy access for getting the eggs. It is very convenient to be able to lock it down when needed as well.

If you're new to chicken rearing then I would highly suggest Orpingtons. They are docile, friendly and fairly easy to raise. Also find that they are good with children and your household pets. Also great layers and good little mothers if you go that route. They come in many colors but would suggest starting with the Buffs, they seem to be more hardy. 

My grandma used to own chickens. One summer, about 18 years ago, my older brother and I were staying with her for a couple of months. One of the things we did was feed the chickens. And for whatever reason, one of those chickens decided it was wise to peck the hand that fed her. Karma's a bitch though, and that chicken was murdered by a raccoon within a week. (Sadly, three other innocent chickens were also killed by that raccoon before we were able to capture it. Clever bastard kept on finding ways to eat the bait out of the trap, without actually setting off the trap)

Am waiting for the right time, but I'm definitely going to get chickens.  And I love the Buff Orpingtons.  They're so chubby and cute!  

I've been hatching (heh) my chicken plans and pondering coops for about a year now.

54 minutes ago, Elder Sister said:

Am waiting for the right time, but I'm definitely going to get chickens.  And I love the Buff Orpingtons.  They're so chubby and cute!  

I've been hatching (heh) my chicken plans and pondering coops for about a year now.

ooooooh!  We're gonna be chicken sisters!!!!!!  The gf wants some silver Sebrights, I'd prefer some from hardy local stock.  Apparently Fowl Pox is a real problem down here.  

Edit:  We got to get @Q the Cat in on this business.

Archived