Who do you want to die but think will survive?

DominusNovus

Given that all we can be sure about the end to the main series is that it will be bittersweet, it is not unreasonable to think that some characters we love to hate will survive.

So, the question is, who?

Many of the most hated characters, like Littlefinger or Cersei, have had their death foreshadowed or outright prophesied, so they're unlikely to live.

On the other hand, sheer limits of human lifespan preclude Walder Frey living for much longer, and his family is being hunted down, so the question is how many of the more hatable Freys can survive?

Roose and Ramsey are surrounded by people that hate them, and fighting against unfavorable odds on the battlefield, so their luck will be running out 

Euron Greyjoy is tempting fate a lot and is playing with power far too dangerous for safety, but of all the 'big bads,' I think he has the least going against him.

It really seems like the only hatable characters that have a good chance to survive are those that on the side of more popular characters.

25 minutes ago, Nihlus said:

Jon, book 6.

Lol excellent choice, my first thought was that I'd like for Jon to stay dead.  I am so over resurrection and swapped babies and glamours - after Beric, Mace, LSH, Aegon, and even Dalla's baby I just want the dead to stay dead and everyone to be who they are.  Jon's story can only get more eye roll inducing for me.  Unfortunately I am certain Jon is coming back.

Not necessarily villains yet, but I'd like for Arya and Bran to die and I think they will survive.

13 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Lol excellent choice, my first thought was that I'd like for Jon to stay dead.  I am so over resurrection and swapped babies and glamours - after Beric, Mace, LSH, Aegon, and even Dalla's baby I just want the dead to stay dead and everyone to be who they are.  Jon's story can only get more eye roll inducing for me.  Unfortunately I am certain Jon is coming back.

Not necessarily villains yet, but I'd like for Arya and Bran to die and I think they will survive.

It's not definite that Jon's actually dead in the first place. Severely wounded and near death, sure. But I'm more inclined to think he'll have an extremely near death experience, an extended convalescence, including probably a comatose state for a while, where it's unclear whether or not he'll pull through/fully recover, and ultimately heal and come back more magically aware/awakened, ala Bran, as opposed to actually dying and being resurrected/reanimated.

--

Tyrion cannot die soon enough for me.

6 minutes ago, Kytheros said:

It's not definite that Jon's actually dead in the first place. Severely wounded and near death, sure. But I'm more inclined to think he'll have an extremely near death experience, an extended convalescence, including probably a comatose state for a while, where it's unclear whether or not he'll pull through/fully recover, and ultimately heal and come back more magically aware/awakened, ala Bran, as opposed to actually dying and being resurrected/reanimated.

--

Tyrion cannot die soon enough for me.

That would work for me for Jon if he is to stay alive - it would be much better than any of the theories about Mel pulling a Thoros and giving him the last kiss, or burning Shireen to resurrect him, or him warging into ghost last minute and then they resurrect his body so it's sort of like he was dead and sort of not.

I don't particularly like Tyrion (I found him entertaining in ACOK but think of him as a more "bad" than "good" character... like everyone else I thought he was insufferable in ADWD).  I suppose I'd like to see him live, but I'd prefer if he didn't get everything he wants (e.g. power, a hot woman to love him, and Casterly Rock) - it would require a pretty strong suspension of disbelief for me to see that.

3 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Jaime. I can see him becoming Golden Hand the Just, if not AAR. I don't hate him, I pity him so much I wish him to die.

Jaime's doomed. I mean, basically the only way he doesn't die is if Cersei's off the board and out of play, and Tommen and/or Myrcella win.

Any other contender, whether current or potential future, would kill Jaime or send him to the Wall (which is effectively a death sentence when the Others come), whether it's for his part in betraying Aerys, betraying Robert, violating oaths to the Starks, or on general principle for being a Lannister.

And that assumes he survives his probably imminent encounter with Lady Stoneheart.

26 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

That would work for me for Jon if he is to stay alive - it would be much better than any of the theories about Mel pulling a Thoros and giving him the last kiss, or burning Shireen to resurrect him, or him warging into ghost last minute and then they resurrect his body so it's sort of like he was dead and sort of not.

To be fair, there's a fair amount of potential foreshadowing for the last option there, especially with the Varamyr prologue.

On the other hand, I prefer the idea that Jon goes through something like what Bran did, rather than Beric/Stoneheart or Coldhands. Especially in light of the GRRM statement that Beric (and thus Stoneheart) are "fire wights", without normal biological processes.

7 minutes ago, Kytheros said:

On the other hand, I prefer the idea that Jon goes through something like what Bran did, rather than Beric/Stoneheart or Coldhands. Especially in light of the GRRM statement that Beric (and thus Stoneheart) are "fire wights", without normal biological processes.

I don't see a problem with Jon coming back as a fire wight. That would mean he gets to complete his work here on Planetos, but he can't get a hero's reward for it.

Most likely, Jon's borrowed time just runs out and he dies for good.

Or, if GRRM wants to be twisted, Jon actually does get the hero's reward. He marries Val and takes over the Kingdom in the North under Robb's will and by acclaim as the savior of the realm. So now the North is ruled by an angry revenant who thinks more like a wolf every day, and the only thing keeping everything from going to hell is the wildling queen that nobody in the realm likes or trusts. And of course an heir is physically impossible, so the next thing after the Jon years is a new succession crisis, where the best candidates are Sansa's non-Stark-named southron daughter, a Karstark who's also a matrilineal Stark and has grown up as the ward of his uncle Sigorn of Thenn, or a Stark boy living as a merchant's son in White Harbor who's three generations out from Winterfell. And they all lived happily ever after?

• 2 weeks later...

Tyrion. 

@TRILOGY Jaime will most likely die. Over the course of the books he is looking more and more like disheveled. Almost like a wight. He is very much doomed. 

In my opinion all the current living lannisters should die. And that Lanna, if she's Tyrion's daughter, becomes the heir. 

On 13/09/2017 at 7:48 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

His resurrection isn't suppose to be interesting by itself. It's how and why that makes it interesting. Every character you've mentioned has res'd in a different way and for a different purpose. 

It's hard for to imagine anyone surviving with the sheer scale of doom hanging over the realm. Others, Dothraki, Dragons, IB reavers. But I think Qyburn will find a way to disappear just before things go too crazy. He's quite the journeyman in that he has moved from Brave Companion, to temporary maester for Roose at Harrenhal and then on to KL. Jaime was sharp enough to notice something wrong with the man, but his sister and the court didn't. I can see him making himself too useful to be killed. Which is sad considering the torment his captives have been subjected to.  

On 9/22/2017 at 8:27 AM, TheThreeEyedCow said:

But I think Qyburn will find a way to disappear just before things go too crazy. He's quite the journeyman in that he has moved from Brave Companion, to temporary maester for Roose at Harrenhal and then on to KL. Jaime was sharp enough to notice something wrong with the man, but his sister and the court didn't. I can see him making himself too useful to be killed. Which is sad considering the torment his captives have been subjected to.  

I can't imagine anyone wanting Qyburn dead. I mean, sure, in-universe, he's horrible. But as a reader? He's fascinating. Plus, he shows that cheesy Hammer-style villains can be as chilling as serial killers and Lovecraftian monsters if you just play them right. Who else but GRRM would have even tried that, much less pulled it off?*

Anyway, if Qyburn dies, it has to be because of his own hubris, not being a casualty of Cersei's stupidity or anything like that.

---

* Well, Robert Shearman, and actually a few other Doctor Who audio and novel writers… But who else with an audience of more than 8000?

Archived