Autumn, scary books

Centrist Simon Steele

You know, speaking of King, my son (12 years old) is really interested in him suddenly for some Halloween reading. I recommended Salem's Lot, but I guess vampires aren't a big draw anymore. Pet Sematary really interested him though. What do you think? I read it when I was his age. Some of the content bugged the shit out of me, but hell, that's what it's about, I suppose. He LOVED It the movie.

Heh, you know, I didn't find Pet Semetary scary at all, and I didn't even like it that much(ducks rocks). But I could probably count on one hand the books that have really scared me. I don't read King for scares, I read em because I like the stories.

But everyone loves Pet Semetary but me, so its probably a good intro.

Been home sick a couple of days and fancied some seasonal reading so I zipped through Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay, which I really enjoyed. I appreciate the immediacy and authenticity of the prose. Also read my first Joe Hill - Heart Shaped Box - which I liked as I guess I kind of ever-so-slightly more literate Stephen King novel. Could it have done with a teensy bit more editing? I think it could. Overall, pretty good though. I'd recommend both if you want some spooky reads.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, Isis said:

Been home sick a couple of days and fancied some seasonal reading so I zipped through Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay, which I really enjoyed. I appreciate the immediacy and authenticity of the prose. Also read my first Joe Hill - Heart Shaped Box - which I liked as I guess I kind of ever-so-slightly more literate Stephen King novel. Could it have done with a teensy bit more editing? I think it could. Overall, pretty good though. I'd recommend both if you want some spooky reads.

I've seen a few boarders give Tremblay high marks in the past week or so. I may pick up his Head Full of Ghosts after I finish Washington Irving. I'm kind of in the mood for another Joe R. Lansdale novel as well.

The tor.com novella line includes some nice horror (adjacent) stories. Examples I've read and liked are

The Murders of Molly Southborne by Tade Thompson

Hammers on Bone as well as A Song for Quiet by Cassandra Khaw (her Rupert Wong novellas also are worth checking out)

The Sin du Jour novellas by Matt Wallace are a bit lighter.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:23 PM, Simon Steele said:

My true love of horror comes from the movies--from the 80s. John Carpenter is my favorite. 

Some of the "big" names in horror that I've tried and could not finish due to the overwriting: McCammon, Ketchum, Little.

What do you guys think?

You can try High Cotton by Joe Landsdale. John Shirley has a short story collection called Black Butterflies. Another author you can try is Richard Laymon. The Woods are Dark is basically a gory 80s movie in book form. 

Others:

The Rats by John Herbert. - This is exactly what you think it is.

Books of Blood by Clive Barker. - All six volumes. Give the first volume a try. If you don't like the first one don't bother with the rest. 

The Elementals by Michael McDowell - Family oriented Haunted House novel.

The Matrix by Jonathan Aycliffe. Lovecraftian : Forbidden books and cultists.

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman  - Vampires

Archived