Characters would should have been born in other regions of Westeros

Canon Claude

Here's some obvious examples of characters who were clearly born in the wrong regions of Westeros and would much likely have been happier in another. If you think of any yourselves, feel free to discuss them.

Stannis and Sandor: the North

It's pretty obvious with this one. Both of them are overshadowed second sons who despise the game and those who play it. They see the world in very simple terms, and live by their codes ruthlessly. Clearly they were meant for the North. Stannis's cold demeanour and ruthless sense of justice would have made him the perfect ruler of the North had he been born a Stark instead of a Baratheon. And while Sandor would have been content anywhere away from his brother, the North suits his disdain for chivalry and southern courts.

Sansa: the Reach

Sansa is the opposite of Stannis in that she belongs in the world of knights and chivalry. She is not truly of the North, hence why her direwolf is dead. She adores the stories, the songs, and she would have been so happy in the Reach, even if she wasn't a Tyrell.

Cersei: Dorne

Plain and simple, Cersei would have been happier in Dorne. She would have been treated as a proper heir and wouldn't have had all the paranoia concerning her brothers since they'd be born in the Westerlands. She'd probably be able to be with Jaime in a non scandalous fashion, come to think of it.

Tyrion: Dorne. Except if there is some antagonism towards dwarfs in Dorne (was there?), he would be happier than in his family's claws and day to day humiliation.

Roose: Beyond the Wall, with the Others. Seems he is bored by people.

Renly: Dorne

Theon: Better off if he was raised home. At least he wouldn't have mental breakdowns and identity crisis later in life, and maybe avoid Ramsay. However else he'd ended, would be better than the hell he's been through. 

I think that some people would fit just fine at other places, but were also happy and were fitting at home. 

For example, the Mountain might be content with the Dreadfort as a partner with Ramsay.

Robb Stark would've been content or even happier with living in the Riverlands, where he was actually born. 

I'm sure there are many other examples.

17 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Robb Stark would've been content or even happier with living in the Riverlands, where he was actually born. 

Why would Robb be more content in the Riverlands? Seems to me like he was definitely his father's son and a man of the North.

20 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Why would Robb be more content in the Riverlands? Seems to me like he was definitely his father's son and a man of the North.

Probably I have the perception he wasn't a typical Northern tightass, and there's also the Tully looks. Don't know if I have a strong case here, it might be just me.

Not that I said he'd be definitely much better off there, but would fit for sure in my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Probably I have the perception he wasn't a typical Northern tightass, and there's also the Tully looks. Don't know if I have a strong case here, it might be just me.

Not that I said he'd be definitely much better off there, but would fit for sure in my opinion. 

Robb was a 'Summer child'. He was 15 when the books started, and that was at the end of an 7 year Summer. He didn't have the same grizzled hardness of northern adults because he hadn't truly known what defines northerners - a hard Winter. The same is also true of other highborn northern youths such as Benfred Tallhart and his Wild Hares. Robb isn't out of place as a northerner, after being at war he had hardened and he was well liked by his personal guard that included many northern lordlings; it was his rank not any southern-ness that set him apart.

24 minutes ago, Buried Treasure said:

Robb was a 'Summer child'. He was 15 when the books started, and that was at the end of an 7 year Summer. He didn't have the same grizzled hardness of northern adults because he hadn't truly known what defines northerners - a hard Winter. The same is also true of other highborn northern youths such as Benfred Tallhart and his Wild Hares. Robb isn't out of place as a northerner, after being at war he had hardened and he was well liked by his personal guard that included many northern lordlings; it was his rank not any southern-ness that set him apart.

I didn't say he was out of place as a northerner. Just that he might fit also in the Riverlands.

Like Gregor would fit also at the Dreadfort, for example.

2 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

For example, the Mountain might be content with the Dreadfort as a partner with Ramsay.

Roose wouldn't appreciate him the way Tywin does. He wants all death and torture to be carefully planned so his people know they'd better not cross him, but if they keep their heads down he'll leave them alone. He's already unhappy with Ramsay, and chides him multiple times. "People fear you… It is not good… You must be more discreet. A peaceful land, a quiet people." A monster with an out-of-control temper cannot be discreet.

Also, would the Mountain really want a partner? He doesn't seem to revel in sharing his sadism as widely as possible like, say, Vargo Hoat, and he can barely tolerate even his lackeys. And I think he'd find Ramsay particularly annoying. Stop playing, just fucking smash their heads in already.

47 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Roose wouldn't appreciate him the way Tywin does. He wants all death and torture to be carefully planned so his people know they'd better not cross him, but if they keep their heads down he'll leave them alone. He's already unhappy with Ramsay, and chides him multiple times. "People fear you… It is not good… You must be more discreet. A peaceful land, a quiet people." A monster with an out-of-control temper cannot be discreet.

Also, would the Mountain really want a partner? He doesn't seem to revel in sharing his sadism as widely as possible like, say, Vargo Hoat, and he can barely tolerate even his lackeys. And I think he'd find Ramsay particularly annoying. Stop playing, just fucking smash their heads in already.

There probably would be a conflict on mental/physical torture vs. smashing heads off the wall right on, but they both do some of both things. Remember the Mountain's methods in Harrenhal? Yeah less effective questioning, but at the end the victims die, both Ramsay's and Gregor's. Theon is another story.

Also Roose doesn't want Ramsay to be that way, as his heir. He doesn't have a problem with keeping psychos in his company. As long as he's able to shut people's mouths about it, he'd value the Mountain in his castle.

4 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Here's some obvious examples of characters who were clearly born in the wrong regions of Westeros and would much likely have been happier in another. If you think of any yourselves, feel free to discuss them.

Stannis and Sandor: the North

It's pretty obvious with this one. Both of them are overshadowed second sons who despise the game and those who play it. They see the world in very simple terms, and live by their codes ruthlessly. Clearly they were meant for the North. Stannis's cold demeanour and ruthless sense of justice would have made him the perfect ruler of the North had he been born a Stark instead of a Baratheon. And while Sandor would have been content anywhere away from his brother, the North suits his disdain for chivalry and southern courts.

Sansa: the Reach

Sansa is the opposite of Stannis in that she belongs in the world of knights and chivalry. She is not truly of the North, hence why her direwolf is dead. She adores the stories, the songs, and she would have been so happy in the Reach, even if she wasn't a Tyrell.

Cersei: Dorne

Plain and simple, Cersei would have been happier in Dorne. She would have been treated as a proper heir and wouldn't have had all the paranoia concerning her brothers since they'd be born in the Westerlands. She'd probably be able to be with Jaime in a non scandalous fashion, come to think of it.

I fully agree with these choices, especially Stannis. He would have been an epic Warden of the North if he'd been a Stark.

But saying Cersei would have been better off in Dorne is kind of obvious. Any woman in Westeros would be better off in Dorne. And it's not like Cersei's issues were caused by environment as much as her own issues and the people around her. Putting her anywhere other than the Westerlands eliminates her troubles because of the people in her life. She could have been born to any family other than the Lannisters for that effect. She doesn't need to be in Dorne for that.

6 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

While I don't agree with the sentiment there is an argument to be made that he belongs there more. He was born in the Riverlands, was crowned King in the Riverlands, gained his reputation as a talented commander in the Riverlands, his reign as king was in the Riverlands and lastly he died in the Riverlands.

Plus I find it ironic that you consider Robb as child of Ned and a man of the North, but Sansa, who strongly desires to be back in the North, draws strength from being a Stark, builds a snow replica of Winterfell and literally thinks to herself she is stronger within the walls of Winterfell isn't of the North according to your OP. 

3 minutes ago, 4 Eyed Crow said:

Arya - Beyond the Wall. I think she would get along pretty well with the wildlings.

Nah, she should be in the Vale. Arya daughter of Timett fears nothing. She will ride with the lions. Or whatever else you've got. Dragons? Zombies? Arya will ride with them too.

I believe that most people only have rather superficial image of Sansa when her origin is in question. I truly believe Sansa belongs in the North, just like Arya, Bran or Jon. Yes, as the child, she was lost, but as she grows, we see her becoming more and more attached to her roots. We see her being a female embodiment of her late father, we see someone who was there when "winter" came and survive all through it. We see someone who has innate ability to help those around her, but who will also have more than a bit of coldness in her. Sansa is a she-wolf, but not the feral one like Arya, but the tender, nurturing and caring. Two faces of the same coin. 

12 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

I don't know about that one. Tarly seems perfectly in his element as a Marcher Lord. Granted there's no open conflict with Dorne, but still.

Randyll seems odd in a region that favours chivalry and knowledge. As for marcher lords, there is always people like Pearse Caron. 

Someone said that any woman would be happier in Dorne, but I think Daenerys would be happier if she had always lived there, even though she would have less freedom than she does now, not more. 

She dreams of the Red Door and the lemon trees, and many theorize that she was borne in Dorne, not Braavos, because Braavos doesn't have lemon trees (I am unsure about this theory, because a wealthy enough person could easily keep and maintain lemon trees, and Dany's patron was definitely wealthy.) 

She is a remarkable girl, and her strangeness and tendencies toward premonitions and fantasies would not be out of place in Dorne. She is also very sexually aware and has a strong sense of justice, both of which are prized in Dorne.

Of course this means, no dragons, no Targ lineage, and no savior arc, but I think that causes her more pain than happiness. 

Archived