Season 8 potential characters couple pairings

Dornishwoman's Husband

35 minutes ago, Faera said:

I don't think her marriage to Tyrion was ever properly dissolved. You can't just call the marriage a farce and call it a day.

When your sister can jail a High Septon, then destruct the Great Sept, kill the new High Septon plus the reigning Queen without incurring the slightest trouble, I suppose you can call your marriage what ever you want…

51 minutes ago, Faera said:

A love match in the Seven Kingdoms seldom happens. The irony to me is that, technically, her marriage to Ramsey was the farce as I don't think her marriage to Tyrion was ever properly dissolved. You can't just call the marriage a farce and call it a day.

Well, strictly speaking, the marriage doesn't need to be formally dissolved because it was null and void due to non-consummation. In TV Westeros, non-consummation automatically renders a marriage null and void. LF says as much in Season 5: because the marriage was never consummated, by law, Sansa is no one's wife. (The show also doubled down on this in Season 7 when Sam defined annulment as a man setting aside his lawful wife. Because Sansa and Tyrion never consummated the marriage, she was never his lawful wife and therefore no annulment was needed to end the marriage.) In the books, non-consummation renders a marriage voidable, but it still needs to be annulled. 

23 minutes ago, Newstar said:

That last bit (Sansa retrieving the cup and handing it to Tyrion) wasn't in the books, but they seemed to be getting along better in 4x02 than they were in the books at that point: whispering to each other at the wedding, Tyrion holding her hand when "Robb" was killed during the dwarf jousting bit, etc. I thought at the time that it might be because Tyrion and Sansa would never see each other again, and the relatively warmer tone in the show compared to the books would be a nice way to tie off that particular relationship, but with Tyrion, Jon and Dany on their way north at the end of S7, it seems very unlikely that they won't see each other again, so we'll see.

Even if they don't decide to "give the marriage another go", it'll still be interesting to see them reunited after all that time. They might not have been in love but I agree they seemed to be on friendly terms in the show.

23 minutes ago, Newstar said:

Lastly, I think Pod may very well be on the chopping block for Season 8, along with all the other secondary characters who can fight, so I can't see him ending up with anyone, really.

He's such a sweet, comical character I agree this feels almost inevitable.

2 minutes ago, Newstar said:

In the books, non-consummation renders a marriage voidable, but it still needs to be annulled.

That's my problem - I need to stop mixing the book and show up.

5 minutes ago, Faera said:

Even if they don't decide to "give the marriage another go", it'll still be interesting to see them reunited after all that time. They might not have been in love but I agree they seemed to be on friendly terms in the show.

I have every expectation that they'll get along when they reunite. Sansa isn't going to be happy about Jon ceding the North to Dany, though.

He's such a sweet, comical character I agree this feels almost inevitable.

Oh, yeah. It's going to be brutal. :(

That's my problem - I need to stop mixing the book and show up.

LOL, no worries. The show didn't do a great job of explaining things (shocking, I know).

20 minutes ago, Newstar said:

I have every expectation that they'll get along when they reunite. Sansa isn't going to be happy about Jon ceding the North to Dany, though.

100% Sansa is the one to bring up marriage. Get Jon out the North and leave Winterfell to her. Her learning from LF is leading to that moment. No accident the first mention of them getting married was LF saying it to Sansa. 

1 hour ago, Faera said:

Oddly enough, when Tyrion asks, "Did she miss me terribly?" to Jon, the truth is - she probably did. At least, as a husband. Tyrion was one of the few men who was truly kind to her and who she was safe with; Ramsey abused and repeatedly raped her. I know who I'd pick if I were her.

Sansa missed her family, she didn't miss Tyrion, even if they were in good terms. They never had a deep friendship or anything like that.

12 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Sansa missed her family, she didn't miss Tyrion, even if they were in good terms. They never had a deep friendship or anything like that.

That's why I said, "as a husband". As in, compared to Ramsey.

Had things remained stable in King's Landing, I wouldn't have been surprised if Sansa and Tyrion ended up becoming close even if it is just friends and have a fairly good marriage, even maybe having children down the line once she was a bit older. Same with most political marriages.

25 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

100% Sansa is the one to bring up marriage. Get Jon out the North and leave Winterfell to her. Her learning from LF is leading to that moment. No accident the first mention of them getting married was LF saying it to Sansa. 

I can believe that. There is a good chance she'll still be trying to play a political game right up until the NK comes a-knocking on Winterfell's door.

47 minutes ago, Newstar said:

I have every expectation that they'll get along when they reunite.

Given all the reunions we had in 7x07, I see no reason why they won't get one. The last time they saw each other was when Joffrey died, after all.

2 hours ago, Faera said:

A love match in the Seven Kingdoms seldom happens. The irony to me is that, technically, her marriage to Ramsey was the farce as I don't think her marriage to Tyrion was ever properly dissolved. You can't just call the marriage a farce and call it a day.

Oddly enough, when Tyrion asks, "Did she miss me terribly?" to Jon, the truth is - she probably did. At least, as a husband. Tyrion was one of the few men who was truly kind to her and who she was safe with; Ramsey abused and repeatedly raped her. I know who I'd pick if I were her.

Yeah, that was weird. :huh:

In the books, there are plenty of blokes to randomly ship her off with. Show-wise, it's basically Podrick or one of the older characters... which might explain the random spike in SanPod fics I've seen floating around.

There's not much of a spike at all, to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Newstar said:

That last bit (Sansa retrieving the cup and handing it to Tyrion) wasn't in the books, but they seemed to be getting along better in 4x02 than they were in the books at that point: whispering to each other at the wedding, Tyrion holding her hand when "Robb" was killed during the dwarf jousting bit, etc. I thought at the time that it might be because Tyrion and Sansa would never see each other again, and the relatively warmer tone in the show compared to the books would be a nice way to tie off that particular relationship, but with Tyrion, Jon and Dany on their way north at the end of S7, it seems very unlikely that they won't see each other again, so we'll see.

I don't get Pod/Sansa predictions at all. "Tee hee they'd be cute together"-type shipping? Fine, sure, but actually thinking they'll end together? As far as I recall, he has said not one single word to her since Sansa met up with Brienne in Season 6. Granted, Book Pod was shy around Sansa because he had a bit of a crush on her, but there's been no indication of TV Pod getting flustered or indeed of having any reaction to Sansa at all, other than being pleased when she accepted Brienne into her service (and that had more to do with his regard for Brienne). 

I know that the joke about Pod/Sansa shipping is that she deserves a guy who's good in bed after Ramsay and that TV Pod is apparently so awesome in bed that prostitutes refuse payment, but that bit from the show was just D&D playfully riffing on the fact that Daniel Portman is apparently quite the ladies' man in real life, so that's neither here nor there.

Lastly, I think Pod may very well be on the chopping block for Season 8, along with all the other secondary characters who can fight, so I can't see him ending up with anyone, really.

Well for me, it's not about Podrick being good in bed, I'd feel better about it if Sansa wound up with someone who isn't 20+ years older than her. The scene where Littlefinger says that she should have been his daughter and then kissed her put me off... permanently. 

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

Very good point, about LF being the one to raise the possibility of a Jon/Dany marriage to Sansa. I'm sure that was included for a reason.

25 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

There's not much of a spike at all, to be honest. 

Well for me, it's not about Podrick being good in bed, I'd feel better about it if Sansa wound up with someone who isn't 20+ years older than her. The scene where Littlefinger says that she should have been his daughter and then kissed her put me off... permanently. 

Fair enough. Wanting Sansa to end up with a decent-looking, age-appropriate guy who will treat her well, I understand 100%. In my opinion, that's the main reason Jon/Sansa has taken off as a ship.

Show-wise, it's basically Podrick or one of the older characters... which might explain the random spike in SanPod fics I've seen floating around.

Yup. Sansa fans who want her to wind up with a decent-looking, age-appropriate, nice guy are running out of options, now that Jon is taken, LOL. It explains the sudden proliferation of theories that Gendry and Sansa will wind up together: process of elimination. Other than Gendry and Pod, who's left?

2 hours ago, Newstar said:

Very good point, about LF being the one to raise the possibility of a Jon/Dany marriage to Sansa. I'm sure that was included for a reason.

Its possible its just additional foreshadowing after the foreshadowing from the end of season 6 and has nothing to do with Sansa being the one to propose it. But would make sense for it to be her. She will have an incentive to propose it unlike apparently Tyrion.

also, did you catch the forshadowing for Sansa going back to King’s Landing? Under what conditions do you think she goes back?

“I will not return to King’s Landing as long as Cersei Lannister is Queen” 

31 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Its possible its just additional foreshadowing after the foreshadowing from the end of season 6 and has nothing to do with Sansa being the one to propose it. But would make sense for it to be her. She will have an incentive to propose it unlike apparently Tyrion.

It would make sense for Sansa to propose it, but I do wonder about how Sam/Bran's revelation about Jon's parentage will play into the timing.

also, did you catch the forshadowing for Sansa going back to King’s Landing? Under what conditions do you think she goes back?

“I will not return to King’s Landing as long as Cersei Lannister is Queen” 

I did catch that. With so much being made of Sansa as the dutiful Lady of Winterfell and all, it seems strange that she would voluntarily venture so far south. Maybe she just goes to attend Jon and Dany's coronation or whatever.

Regarding couple pairings for next year this Alfie Allen quote from five years ago is fascinating. He was asked what he asked George and he responded:

What did you ask him about in return?
You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation. It will all come to fruition eventually. The whole thing with all the fight over proper succession is partly inspired by the War of the Roses in the late 1400s, and back then, to ensure pedigree, the monarchies were kind of inbred. It's definitely fucked up, but it definitely happened back then, so that's why there's incest with the Targaryen line. It's toned down, though.”

here is the full interview 

http://www.vulture.com/2012/06/game-of-thrones-theon-alfie-allen-interview.html

On 07/10/2017 at 3:05 AM, Newstar said:

It would make sense for Sansa to propose it, but I do wonder about how Sam/Bran's revelation about Jon's parentage will play into the timing.

Once Jon gets back to Winterfell there really is no reason for Bran to keep the information back. The only way they could drag it out more is if Jon actually does what a normal human being would do and doubt the visions of a bland, unfeeling, semi-catatonic boy and a crappy diary that proves literally nothing about Jon at.

On 14/10/2017 at 6:14 AM, jcmontea said:

You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation

Well, Luke and Leia did snog before they realised they were brother and sister. I guess Jon and Dany hooking up is sort of similar with the whole "she's his aunt" thing. The thing with J+D is that they neither grew up with the knowledge of their familial connection and their marriage would be politically viable. Avunculate marriages, while rare, did happen both in the real world and definitely in the Seven Kingdoms history even outside of the Targaryens.

My biggest concern is this whole thing becoming soap-opera filler where Jon and Dany are all like "eww but aww" for half the season before they finally talk to each other about it. Or worse, Jon keeps it from her and just broods on it for ages.

1 hour ago, Faera said:

Once Jon gets back to Winterfell there really is no reason for Bran to keep the information back. The only way they could drag it out more is if Jon actually does what a normal human being would do and doubt the visions of a bland, unfeeling, semi-catatonic boy and a crappy diary that proves literally nothing about Jon at.

Well, Luke and Leia did snog before they realised they were brother and sister. I guess Jon and Dany hooking up is sort of similar with the whole "she's his aunt" thing. The thing with J+D is that they neither grew up with the knowledge of their familial connection and their marriage would be politically viable. Avunculate marriages, while rare, did happen both in the real world and definitely in the Seven Kingdoms history even outside of the Targaryens.

My biggest concern is this whole thing becoming soap-opera filler where Jon and Dany are all like "eww but aww" for half the season before they finally talk to each other about it. Or worse, Jon keeps it from her and just broods on it for ages.

Yea very similar. The main difference will be the marriage Alfie hints at. 

Very curious how they handle the whole thing. They can’t have Dany be eww. That just is not consistent with her upbringing as a Targaryen. Jon can go eww but not her. Its pretty big news for both of them so they will need some time to process that bomb. Hopefully they pull it off well. 

On 10/6/2017 at 7:20 PM, Newstar said:

Fair enough. Wanting Sansa to end up with a decent-looking, age-appropriate guy who will treat her well, I understand 100%. In my opinion, that's the main reason Jon/Sansa has taken off as a ship.

Yup. Sansa fans who want her to wind up with a decent-looking, age-appropriate, nice guy are running out of options, now that Jon is taken, LOL. It explains the sudden proliferation of theories that Gendry and Sansa will wind up together: process of elimination. Other than Gendry and Pod, who's left?

Jorah..although not age appropriate.

I am with you on the fact that Meera/Bran is a non-starter, but I will be very upset if they leave out Howland Reed and the cragonmen out of the final battle, this would be a huge injustice to the entire storyline IMHO. 

36 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

Jorah..although not age appropriate.

I am with you on the fact that Meera/Bran is a non-starter, but I will be very upset if they leave out Howland Reed and the cragonmen out of the final battle, this would be a huge injustice to the entire storyline IMHO. 

I agree that it'll be a disservice to the story to leave him out but if Meera isn't coming back, Howland Reed definitely won't be included.

4 hours ago, Faera said:

I agree that it'll be a disservice to the story to leave him out but if Meera isn't coming back, Howland Reed definitely won't be included.

That would be disappointing, since GRRM has said he would appear. 

I'm quite disappointed that Meera/Bran is a non-starter. Would have been worth it to see a romance between Meera and Bran, and see if he can pass on the family name.

19 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

I'm quite disappointed that Meera/Bran is a non-starter. Would have been worth it to see a romance between Meera and Bran, and see if he can pass on the family name.

I agree it would feel cheap if they don't bring the Neck or Howland Reed into the fray during this war. I mean, they set him up and named dropped him a few times, as well as their castle. Plus, I still think that the Jon-parent reveals in the show is stupid. If they do bring in Howland Reed, they can't do it without Meera. She'd be needed to be our "set-up" character, so I cling to that at least.

44 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Did he say he would appear in the books or the show?

do we even know if he is alive in the show?

Archived