Season 8 potential characters couple pairings

Dornishwoman's Husband

If there is one thing Game of Thrones has taught me about love, it's that all nice romances are predestined to fail or end in misery. Love is poison, after all. Plus, it is hard to think about any of the "couples" in this show without it ending with one of them dying.

Obviously, there will be Jon and Daenerys, though I really hope their relationship doesn't get too soppy. I guess there is Grey Worm and Missandei, which probably means one of them will die. Brienne and Jaime will probably get a moment or two and maybe the latter will be lucky enough to die in the former's arms, as I suspect he would quite like. Brienne and Tommund would be fantastic but I really don't think she thinks of him that way, as adorable his little crush on her is.

Who else? I guess Arya and Gendry will get a reunion but I don't really think a romantic relationship is on the cards anymore as she's a little too "far gone" down the dark path to ever have a normal life now. Same story with Bran and Meera; if, or rather when, they bring her back with Godot her father, I have an awful feeling they'll kill her off so as to eek out one last woobie moment from Mr "I'm the Three-Eyed-Raven". With Sansa, I don't see the SanSan thing going anywhere here myself, but who knows? I even wonder if a Little Women scenario might play out where Gendry ends up with Sansa if he ends up with anyone at all. When it comes to Sansa is that while I always felt her settling down with someone and becoming a ruler in her own right was part of her end-game there is a dearth of decent men. 

Maybe Cersei and Euron... provided he doesn't take the Golden Company himself.

1 hour ago, Faera said:

If there is one thing Game of Thrones has taught me about love, it's that all nice romances are predestined to fail or end in misery. Love is poison, after all. Plus, it is hard to think about any of the "couples" in this show without it ending with one of them dying.

Obviously, there will be Jon and Daenerys, though I really hope their relationship doesn't get too soppy. I guess there is Grey Worm and Missandei, which probably means one of them will die. Brienne and Jaime will probably get a moment or two and maybe the latter will be lucky enough to die in the former's arms, as I suspect he would quite like. Brienne and Tommund would be fantastic but I really don't think she thinks of him that way, as adorable his little crush on her is.

Who else? I guess Arya and Gendry will get a reunion but I don't really think a romantic relationship is on the cards anymore as she's a little too "far gone" down the dark path to ever have a normal life now. Same story with Bran and Meera; if, or rather when, they bring her back with Godot her father, I have an awful feeling they'll kill her off so as to eek out one last woobie moment from Mr "I'm the Three-Eyed-Raven". With Sansa, I don't see the SanSan thing going anywhere here myself, but who knows? I even wonder if a Little Women scenario might play out where Gendry ends up with Sansa if he ends up with anyone at all. When it comes to Sansa is that while I always felt her settling down with someone and becoming a ruler in her own right was part of her end-game there is a dearth of decent men. 

So GOT is teaching us that all the romances are doomed (that could very well be, I don't think so, but it's a fair assumption to think that some could be due to the past ones) but then Sansa will out of nowhere end up with Gendry? I mean, how could do this be possible? The ending of GOT is based on the books, so it's not fanfiction anymore.

2 hours ago, Faera said:

One of the criticisms that I have of the books and tv series is the notion that love is a bad thing. I had opened a thread about that on the main asoiaf thread but for some reason it was closed down without receiving a reply and I don't know why. 

Is love something to be sequestered in a distant holdfast, never meant to be? Is love evil? Is it evil to love?

Is that the lesson GRRM wishes to impart, the evils of love?

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

One of the criticisms that I have of the books and tv series is the notion that love is a bad thing. I had opened a thread about that on the main asoiaf thread but for some reason it was closed down without receiving a reply and I don't know why. 

Is love something to be sequestered in a distant holdfast, never meant to be? Is love evil? Is it evil to love?

Is that the lesson GRRM wishes to impart, the evils of love?

I don’t think it is. At least i really hope not. That is a really dumb lesson that I am not sure is factually accurate.

3 hours ago, Faera said:

I would expect it to get super soppy. Bringing your two main characters together in a romantic relationship right before the end game is a very concious choice.

Could very well be just to highten tragedy. But i suspect it will have some thematic importance. That in the face of death (i.e. White Walkers), love itself is something that makes life worth living and fighting for. 

4 hours ago, Faera said:

Sam and Gilly would like a word.

45 minutes ago, RhaegoTheUnborn said:

Shakespearian (I know I spelled that wrong)

Well, you spelled it 18th century; the usual modern spelling is Shakespearean. But old William Shaksper himself probably wouldn't have complained, given the ways he spelled his name.

50 minutes ago, RhaegoTheUnborn said:

I think he likes things to have these Shakespearian (I know I spelled that wrong) angle to them, as far as relationships go. 

There aren't many people committing suicide over tragic misunderstandings in ASoIaF, much less cross-dressing mistaken-identity love triangles.

3 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Sam and Gilly would like a word.

You know what? I forgot about them! The hour was late and... I tend to tune out their scenes, aha.

But even with them I wonder if they'll make it to the end.

7 hours ago, falcotron said:

Well, you spelled it 18th century; the usual modern spelling is Shakespearean. But old William Shaksper himself probably wouldn't have complained, given the ways he spelled his name.

There aren't many people committing suicide over tragic misunderstandings in ASoIaF, much less cross-dressing mistaken-identity love triangles.

The term is applied to to a lot more than that. But you're not wrong.

6 hours ago, Faera said:

You know what? I forgot about them! The hour was late and... I tend to tune out their scenes, aha.

But even with them I wonder if they'll make it to the end.

Honestly if everyone is just going to die just have the NK win. 

The victory won’t feel like a big victory if there is not at least one couple that loves each other that can embrace post conflict that they did it. They saved humanity. 

23 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Honestly if everyone is just going to die just have the NK win. 

The victory won’t feel like a big victory if there is not at least one couple that loves each other that can embrace post conflict that they did it. They saved humanity. 

Oh, I'm totally #TeamNightKing!

But you are right. If anyone is going to live, it'll be "SamandGilly".

10 hours ago, jcmontea said:

I would expect it to get super soppy. Bringing your two main characters together in a romantic relationship right before the end game is a very concious choice.

Could very well be just to highten tragedy. But i suspect it will have some thematic importance. That in the face of death (i.e. White Walkers), love itself is something that makes life worth living and fighting for. 

Ugh! See, I like a bit of romance as much as the next girl but watching Jon and Daenerys is going to be painful to watch. 

12 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

So GOT is teaching us that all the romances are doomed (that could very well be, I don't think so, but it's a fair assumption to think that some could be due to the past ones) but then Sansa will out of nowhere end up with Gendry? I mean, how could do this be possible? The ending of GOT is based on the books, so it's not fanfiction anymore.

Well, as others have pointed out, Sam and Gilly are probably the only example of a long-standing couple that are not necessarily doomed if just because how backseat they are compared to the main characters.

Ha, I would say it is debatable whether GoT is "not fan fiction" anymore. If Jon and Dany can fall in love within four episodes, the so could Gendry and Sansa for all we know! I doubt it'll happen but then I don't see Arya marrying Gendry, either. Plus, if we followed the books many of the "ships" people like here wouldn't work, like Bran and Meera; he has a precocious crush on her in the books but has no hope of her reciprocating because he's still very young.

10 minutes ago, Faera said:

Oh, I'm totally #TeamNightKing!

But you are right. If anyone is going to live, it'll be "SamandGilly".

We already know the NK is not going to win though. So the question is how do they do it so that the victory of life over death (the temporary victory) is meaninful and thematically rich. Why should life be worth it? 

Ugh! See, I like a bit of romance as much as the next girl but watching Jon and Daenerys is going to be painful to watch. 

Prob best to just be prepared for this. Every indication of traditional storytelling is screaming these two are destined to end up together and rule. The only reason I have any doubt this is the ending we will see is because its GoT and they have given us enough reason to doubt it with Ned and Robb’s death and Ramsey’s line about “if you think this has a happy ending you haven’t been paying attention.” But all that is probably there just to create doubt that the clearly foreshadowed and built towards ending will happen. 

Well, as others have pointed out, Sam and Gilly are probably the only example of a long-standing couple that are not necessarily doomed if just because how backseat they are compared to the main characters.

Yea. That is why them ending up together almost doesn’t matter. Too minor. If that is the only couple at the end than the show really did send a love is doom message. 

Ha, I would say it is debatable whether GoT is "not fan fiction" anymore. If Jon and Dany can fall in love within four episodes, the so could Gendry and Sansa for all we know! I doubt it'll happen but then I don't see Arya marrying Gendry, either. Plus, if we followed the books many of the "ships" people like here wouldn't work, like Bran and Meera; he has a precocious crush on her in the books but has no hope of her reciprocating because he's still very young.

Archived