Attempting Wheel of Time series...

Lady Noble

2 hours ago, Lady Noble said:

If anyone wants to spoil the following for me, please do:

The coin Moraine gave them all. That's going to have some play, yes?

Please say Bela (Rand's horse) doesn't die... I can't handle that lol

Spoiler

Yes, the coins will play a role, in the book you're currently reading.

Liking Bela pretty much puts you on the way to true WoT fandom. :D As to her fate, this is something you need to RAFO.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:
  Hide contents

Liking Bela pretty much puts you on the way to true WoT fandom. :D As to her fate, this is something you need to RAFO.

:lol: 

58 minutes ago, Lady Noble said:

NEW QUESTION/DISCUSSION:

So, is everyone related? When i read summaries I've noticed there are a hell of a lot of last names in common. I feel like everyone in the main group is somehow related.

The Two Rivers Team probably have some common relations ten generations back or something.

Two of the characters in the opening group - that of Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Nynaeve, Thom, Lan and Moiraine - are related very distantly.

On 10/3/2017 at 0:42 PM, Lady Noble said:

NEW QUESTION/DISCUSSION:

So, is everyone related? When i read summaries I've noticed there are a hell of a lot of last names in common. I feel like everyone in the main group is somehow related.

To add to Wert's explanation a lot of the Two Rivers people that are named or are referenced have Al in them, like Rand Al'Thor and Egwene Al'Vere.  The Al part means something and you will find out later in the book.

I love the series, some of that may be from a nostalgia perspective but I regularly do rereads of them except book 9.  I really do not like book 9.  Yes stuff happens at the end, but that stuff should have happened in 10. (which would make that book more palatable as then it contains the event that 10 is all about) Nothing else that "happens" in 9 is a worth a damn.  8 is also problematic for all the parts that don't involve Rand to me.  The Rand parts are fascinating though as RJ clearly tried a different style of writing for his chapters to convey his madness.  I think it is very effective.

I don't understand why people criticize the "battle" with the Trollocs in 11 (I think).  It is not a battle at all. It is not meant to be a battle  It is an illustration of how nothing that is merely physical has any chance of even remotely succeeding against Rand at that point.  It's basically just another test by the Forsaken.  Semirhage even recognizes that Rand is cocky because of it. (Hence her sneak attack)

Trollocs and the Eyeless are still threats for other characters(even Aes Sedai who aren't wielding Angreal and the like) but not to Rand.

On 9/26/2017 at 5:11 PM, Corvinus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I've reached the point in the first book in which Moraine explains how the coins act as bonds. Is that the end of their role, then? Two of the boys gave them away (I think Perrin and Rand, but please confirm) so the only one left with it is Matt. I'm starting to like Matt, lol. He's the only exciting one, although he clearly makes some bad decisions as we saw with the treasure in Logath (or wherever that was). Does Matt play a bigger role?

6 minutes ago, Lady Noble said:
  Hide contents

I've reached the point in the first book in which Moraine explains how the coins act as bonds. Is that the end of their role, then? Two of the boys gave them away (I think Perrin and Rand, but please confirm) so the only one left with it is Matt. I'm starting to like Matt, lol. He's the only exciting one, although he clearly makes some bad decisions as we saw with the treasure in Logath (or wherever that was). Does Matt play a bigger role?

Spoiler

On the coins, yes, that's it for them. Don't worry, if you keep up with the series, a lot of items that the Aes Sedai use will be introduced, some of them way more important.

On Mat - hell yes; he becomes my favorite character, mainly because of his humorous personality. Other readers don't like him at all, though.

First two times I tried to read Eye of the World, I gave up after a few hundred pages. Many years later I tried listening to the audiobook. That's when I got hooked. Ended up going through half the series in less than a month. Then I got bored because the story really slows down, much like ASOIF around A Feast for Crows.

In terms of story telling ability, Robert Jordan can be amazing. That is, when he is at his best. Much better than Brandon Sanderson who I find to be extremely overrated.

Now that I'm further along, I'm starting to see Perrin and Matt as more than just comedic relief or supportive characters. Matt is getting a little greedy with his dagger and the WolfBrother thing going on with Perrin is more interesting than Rand's over all weirdness.

23 minutes ago, Lady Noble said:

Now that I'm further along, I'm starting to see Perrin and Matt as more than just comedic relief or supportive characters. Matt is getting a little greedy with his dagger and the WolfBrother thing going on with Perrin is more interesting than Rand's over all weirdness.

Rand and Perrin are pretty dull characters. Matt becomes much more interesting in later books. Overall, Robert Jordan's characters aren't that interesting. RJ's strength as a story-teller is in his vivid descriptions of action scenes. The best action scenes in WoT are better than the best action scenes in ASoIaF.

For interesting characters read the Witcher series. Quality over quantity. Only a handful of characters but they are far better developed than the thousands of characters in WoT and ASoIaF.

33 minutes ago, MorgulisMaximus said:

Rand and Perrin are pretty dull characters. Matt becomes much more interesting in later books. Overall, Robert Jordan's characters aren't that interesting. RJ's strength as a story-teller is in his vivid descriptions of action scenes. The best action scenes in WoT are better than the best action scenes in ASoIaF.

For interesting characters read the Witcher series. Quality over quantity. Only a handful of characters but they are far better developed than the thousands of characters in WoT and ASoIaF.

I find a lot of the main character/hidden hero is boring AF. Frodo, for example. I know a lot of people say that about Jon Snow, but I loved that particular character. 

What's the Witcher series about, if you wouldn't mind sharing? I know I could read a summary online, but I like getting them in people's own words if they're recommending it. TY.

59 minutes ago, Lady Noble said:

I find a lot of the main character/hidden hero is boring AF. Frodo, for example. I know a lot of people say that about Jon Snow, but I loved that particular character. 

What's the Witcher series about, if you wouldn't mind sharing? I know I could read a summary online, but I like getting them in people's own words if they're recommending it. TY.

A genetically-engineered albino mutant called Geralt hunts monsters in a series of stories influenced from Eastern European (and particularly Polish) mythology. The short stories (collected in The Last Wish and then Sword of Destiny) have background framing elements setting up a much longer (five novels, but they're individually pretty slim) story involving a powerful southern empire invading the northern kingdoms.

3 hours ago, Lady Noble said:

The first two books are actually just a collection of short stories about Geralt of Rivia. The next five books are one large story about Ciri and Geralt. The large story has it's root in one of the short stories about Queen Calanthe of Cintra and her daughter Pavetta. Ciri is the daughter of Pavetta.

It's pretty easy just to read the short story about Calathe and Pavetta. That will pretty much let you know if you like the author's writing style.

The large story has many similarites to ASOIAF.... war between many kingdoms, an external force (The Wild Hunt, vaguely similar to The Others), etc...

I find the interpersonal relationships between characters to be much more realistic than GRRM's (which often feel artificial and just not realistic). Also the dialogue is much more entertaining. There are scenes with just dialogue. The action is completely described by just the dialogue. Also, the way the story is told keeps changing to keep things interesting. Fir example going foward and backwards in chronology.

Archived