How is Celia Tully related to the others?

Emie

Celia Tully, who was originally betrothed to King Jaehaerys II, was most likely the daughter of the ruling lord of House Tully himself. Given the timeline is it safe to assume that she might have been the sister of the father of Hoster and Brynden? Making her the great-aunt of Catelyn, Lysa and Edmure? 

4 minutes ago, Emie said:

Celia Tully, who was originally betrothed to King Jaehaerys II, was most likely the daughter of the ruling lord of House Tully himself. Given the timeline is it safe to assume that she might have been the sister of the father of Hoster and Brynden? Making her the great-aunt of Catelyn, Lysa and Edmure? 

Haha! When I clicked on this I thought I was going to read an extravagant theory on a random Tully somehow being the Night's King. Should have realized the O in others wasn't capitalized.

Sure, it could work.

• Jaehaerys and Celia were betrothed in 237.
  • Presumably she was somewhere near 16, which would mean she was born around 221.
  • So she could easily have an older brother born around 219.
  • Who could then easily have one son born 238-240 and another 243-245 (the Citadel-calculated ages for Hoster and Brynden).

I don't know if it's safe to assume that she is definitely Hoster's aunt, but she certainly easily could be, unless there's some other information I've neglected.

Found something more (on the wiki page for House Tully, without a source link—The Sworn Sword, maybe?): Lord Medgar Tully's successor was 8 years old in 211, so born around 203.

So, that unnamed successor is probably Celia's father, who'd be around 18 when she was born. Which means either he was only 16 or so when Celia's older brother was born, or Celia has a younger brother instead who was only 16 or so when Hoster was born. Both of which seem reasonable.

17 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Haha! When I clicked on this I thought I was going to read an extravagant theory on a random Tully somehow being the Night's King. Should have realized the O in others wasn't capitalized.

And I thought you were going to say, "Yeah, Celia's the other Other mother in my name."

6 minutes ago, Belgarad said:

Hoster's father would not have to be older than Celia.  She could be the first born child, and any boys born afterwards would immediately jump past her in the succession order.  This gives a lot more room for error when speculating about dates and time frames. 

That's why I concluded that "either [Celia's father] was only 16 or so when Celia's older brother was born, or Celia has a younger brother instead who was only 16 or so when Hoster was born. Both of which seem reasonable."

Thank you falcotron for doing all the work for us. Great Aunt Celia it is!

Really, I don't see any reason why Prince Jaehaerys would have been betrothed to a Tully cousin. All of the other matches Queen Betha arranged were with children of important lords, not relatives of important lords: Duncan to a Baratheon; Shaera to the Tyrell heir; Daeron to Olenna Redwyne. And of course Rhaelle eventually married Ormond Baratheon, to make up for Duncan choosing his Jenny. It was a good thing Rhaelle hadn't been promised to someone else already, huh?

16 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Oh, it isn't? Damm ... <put the tinfoil hat down>

Archived