NFL 2017 Week 3: Now Panic Begins!

Rhom

45 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's fair. The Jags may be better than previously thought. That said, this is not a great Texans team. They may have played a great game, but they are not a great team. 

They were the best defense in the league last year and they had a solid offense. The Texans problem was always who their QB was. If Watson keeps playing good they are a great team. Very few teams can make the playoff with the utter trash the Texans have fielded at QB. 

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

They were the best defense in the league last year and they had a solid offense. The Texans problem was always who their QB was. If Watson keeps playing good they are a great team. Very few teams can make the playoff with the utter trash the Texans have fielded at QB. 

Eh, not buying in just yet. Good maybe, but nowhere near great. 

8 hours ago, Fiddler said:

I get that there is a rule that caused the 10 second run off, even if I think it is a shitty rule that almost never effects an outcome.  The part that I think they were robbed on is the replay itself.  I thought that was one of those plays that should have stood as called whichever way it was called.  Not enough evidence to overturn either way (looked like a shadow under his knee that they say was down).

Overall though I am happy with the team right now.  Went toe to toe with one of the best NFC teams and came a blade of grass away from winning.

Also, they need to just sit Ebron.  Enough of this joker and his dropped passes.  New name should be Drive Killer.

Yeah im feeling pretty optimistic over the way the team is playing. Im usually not one to complain over officiating, but in my mind Detroit won the game, period. Fuck those refs.

Also agree on Ebron, he needs to be demoted, im sure someone else on that roster can catch softballs in the flats more efficiently than that jello handed poser.

10 hours ago, sperry said:

As a Pats shill, aren't you contractually obliged to stand with Trump?

No. 

For starters, Massachusetts- as somebody already stated -is one of the most liberal states in the country, probably second only to Hawaii.  Mass is as blue as blue states get.  Kraft, Belichick and Brady all (almost certainly) voted for Trump, but that means nothing to me.  Because like most Americans, I don't listen to celebrities for my politics (hence why every time a celebrity tries to tell me how much they hate Trump, I think they just made another Trump voter).  

But even more so, I think- and have always thought - Trump was a gigantic, toxic bilge pipe.  

You then got into a little bit with DanteGabriel and I loved how you tried to claim you were not attacking anyone "personally" but this was RIGHT AFTER you told me that I was obligated to stand with Trump, implying that I would support somebody who wants to grab women, insults black people, may have colluded with Russians, has no idea how to run a country, hates people and is a greedy, ignorant, dip-shit who is utterly unprepared to run a government.  Thinking that I would support that ... yeah... kinda take it personally.  

I do not post about politics as much as I did in the past (its a rabbit hole that sucks up far too much time and energy), but when I have, I hold traditional, liberal values.  I can't fathom how I could be confused with a Trump supporter.  

I also liked Kraft's statement against Trump; Brady this morning further criticized Trump, saying he was disappointed in his comments.  Devin McCourty has always been critical of Trump and supportive of the protests.  

But with that said, the fans DID boo the protests and I hate that.  "YOU HAVE TO BE RESPECTFUL OF THE ANTHEM!!!! AND IF YOU AREN'T I WILL YELL AND BOO AND SCREAM ... DURING THE SAME ANTHEM!!!  SHOW RESPECT!!1!!1!!!"  Fuck that.

I hope this answers your question, thus freeing you to re-engage in inane blather on other topics you know nothing about.  Like... pretty much everything.  

8 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

No. 

For starters, Massachusetts- as somebody already stated -is one of the most liberal states in the country, probably second only to Hawaii.  Mass is as blue as blue states get.  Kraft, Belichick and Brady all (almost certainly) voted for Trump, but that means nothing to me.  Because like most Americans, I don't listen to celebrities for my politics (hence why every time a celebrity tries to tell me how much they hate Trump, I think they just made another Trump voter).  

But even more so, I think- and have always thought - Trump was a gigantic, toxic bilge pipe.  

You then got into a little bit with DanteGabriel and I loved how you tried to claim you were not attacking anyone "personally" but this was RIGHT AFTER you told me that I was obligated to stand with Trump, implying that I would support somebody who wants to grab women, insults black people, may have colluded with Russians, has no idea how to run a country, hates people and is a greedy, ignorant, dip-shit who is utterly unprepared to run a government.  Thinking that I would support that ... yeah... kinda take it personally.  

I do not post about politics as much as I did in the past (its a rabbit hole that sucks up far too much time and energy), but when I have, I hold traditional, liberal values.  I can't fathom how I could be confused with a Trump supporter.  

I also liked Kraft's statement against Trump; Brady this morning further criticized Trump, saying he was disappointed in his comments.  Devin McCourty has always been critical of Trump and supportive of the protests.  

But with that said, the fans DID boo the protests and I hate that.  "YOU HAVE TO BE RESPECTFUL OF THE ANTHEM!!!! AND IF YOU AREN'T I WILL YELL AND BOO AND SCREAM ... DURING THE SAME ANTHEM!!!  SHOW RESPECT!!1!!1!!!"  Fuck that.

I hope this answers your question, thus freeing you to re-engage in inane blather on other topics you know nothing about.  Like... pretty much everything.  

That was a jab at your team's Trump supporting owner, coach and quarterback. I'm well aware neither you nor DG are Trump supporters.

26 minutes ago, sperry said:

A Patriots shill?  I.e. a homer? That's the equivalent of calling someone an "ignorant dick from flyover country"?

Please.  Calling someone a shill is a lot more personal and insulting than calling them a homer.  Shill absolutely carries moral judgement that homer does not. 

Everyone who has been paying attention on this forum knows that both you and DG are not Trump supporters.  I didn't take either comment as being something seriously meant, as opposed to just a bit of verbal sparring. It seems strange to make the post you did and then immediately cry foul at DG's response. 

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Please.  Calling someone a shill is a lot more personal and insulting than calling them a homer.  Shill absolutely carries moral judgement that homer does not. 

Everyone who has been paying attention on this forum knows that both you and DG are not Trump supporters.  I didn't take either comment as being something seriously meant, as opposed to just a bit of verbal sparring. It seems strange to make the post you did and then immediately cry foul at DG's response. 

Disagree, but fair enough.

We just had the most exciting week of football in a long time and this is what we're doing this morning?

Fuck it, I'm talking about football.

I am pleased as hell about that win vs the Raiders.  We're 2-1 with wins over two teams that are 4-0 in games not vs Washington.  The defense is playing really weirdly well.  We finally look like we have real coaches and a real system on the defensive side of the ball.  We just held a top 10 offense to 130 yards for the game!  That could be the lowest yardage total we see for any team all year!

Now of course, I must temper my excitement, because I am an inherently pessimistic fan.  The Raiders had some drops and their center kept snapping the ball when Carr wasn't ready (none of them resulted in a fumble, but it still kills the play and offensive rhythm).  It's just one game.  We're going to Arrowhead to play an undefeated Chiefs team, and the last time we played KC we gave up 50 points at home. 

Cousins looked good, although not as good as his statline indicated.  Most of his big plays were his receivers making things happen.  Still, he was a lot better this week.  I don't know why but for some reason Cousins first two games of 2015, 2016 and 2017 were all bad.  It's like it takes him 2-3 weeks to get up to game speed every year.  Very annoying habit, because that loss at home to Philly week 1 may come back to haunt us. 

19 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

We just had the most exciting week of football in a long time and this is what we're doing this morning?

I am pleased as hell about that win vs the Raiders.  We're 2-1 with wins over two teams that are 4-0 in games not vs Washington.  The defense is playing really weirdly well.  We finally look like we have real coaches and a real system on the defensive side of the ball.  We just held a top 10 offense to 130 yards for the game!  That could be the lowest yardage total we see for any team all year!

Now of course, I must temper my excitement, because I am an inherently pessimistic fan.  The Raiders had some drops and their center kept snapping the ball when Carr wasn't ready (none of them resulted in a fumble, but it still kills the play and offensive rhythm).  It's just one game.  We're going to Arrowhead to play an undefeated Chiefs team, and the last time we played KC we gave up 50 points at home. 

Cousins looked good, although not as good as his statline indicated.  Most of his big plays were his receivers making things happen.  Still, he was a lot better this week.  I don't know why but for some reason Cousins first two games of 2015, 2016 and 2017 were all bad.  It's like it takes him 2-3 weeks to get up to game speed every year.  Very annoying habit, because that loss at home to Philly week 1 may come back to haunt us. 

Yeah, that was the most fun Skins game since 2012. 27-10 significantly underplays how one-sided that game was. Would've enjoyed it more if I wasn't subjected twice to the Trump-loving Danny, first sweating profusely as he locked arms with players for the "solidarity" he so clearly believes in and second his douchey little celebration after Doctson's TD catch. Being reminded of his unctuous presence just heightens my ambivalence where if they put up that performance in prior years, I'd have been over the fucking moon. 

But yes, I'm also pretty shocked how good the defense looked. Kerrigan and Smith blowing up the pocket play after play. That young safety making plays, Zack Brown Band being rock solid. They not only looked good, they played smart. Honestly would've likely been a shutout if not for the terrible muff and fumble gifting the Raiders the 10 points they got. Not sure if this is the result of Manusky being a Mensa candidate compared to Joe Barry or what. They haven't played like that since the days of Gregg Williams.

I may have underestimated skinny Jay Gruden if he can get the team playing like that. Though I'll reserve judgment til I see how this team looks against KC. Can we now agree Samaje Perine is terrible? Mack Brown looked a lot more dynamic in his few carries. And Chris Thompson is now Godly, holy shit. if this offense can be that good without its lead RB, star TE and #1 WR not play or be non-existent..this team has some real promise. 

4 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah, that was the most fun Skins game since 2012. 27-10 significantly underplays how one-sided that game was. Would've enjoyed it more if I wasn't subjected twice to the Trump-loving Danny, first sweating profusely as he locked arms with players for the "solidarity" he so clearly believes in and second his douchey little celebration after Doctson's TD catch. Being reminded of his unctuous presence just heightens my ambivalence where if they put up that performance in prior years, I'd have been over the fucking moon. 

But yes, I'm also pretty shocked how good the defense looked. Kerrigan and Smith blowing up the pocket play after play. That young safety making plays, Zack Brown Band being rock solid. They not only looked good, they played smart. Honestly would've likely been a shutout if not for the terrible muff and fumble gifting the Raiders the 10 points they got. Not sure if this is the result of Manusky being a Mensa candidate compared to Joe Barry or what. They haven't played like that since the days of Gregg Williams.

I may have underestimated skinny Jay Gruden if he can get the team playing like that. Though I'll reserve judgment til I see how this team looks against KC. Can we now agree Samaje Perine is terrible? Mack Brown looked a lot more dynamic in his few carries. And Chris Thompson is now Godly, holy shit. if this offense can be that good without its lead RB, star TE and #1 WR not play or be non-existent..this team has some real promise. 

I also cringe whenever I see Snyder.  I never like seeing owner celebrations and Snyder less than anyone else. 

Mack Brown does look better than Perine, that is true.  I think he'll get a chance too, Gruden has to be getting tired of having mediocre running backs churn out 2 yards and a cloud of dust.  And you can't give Thompson 30 touches a game, he's too small and injury prone.  And he might be harder to replace than Reed, which is crazy.

The defense looks great thus far.  They had a few breakdowns against Philly, but even that game wasn't terrible, and the other two efforts were very impressive.  Some people complained that we overdrafted Montae Nicholson in the 4th round, that he was more of a 6-7th rounder.  But the guy is starting at safety as a rookie and playing better than any safety we've had in years.  He's made a few mistakes, but it is incredible what an impact his size and speed are making.  Swearingen looks like a good free agent pickup too, although that is less of a surprise. 

Thus far anyway, the only real flaws I can point to defensively are that we can't make tough interceptions and only our linebackers can really tackle.  But everything else, pass defense, pass rush, clogging the run lanes, red zone defense have all been stellar.  I never thought this kind of improvement was possible.  I guess this is what happens when you replace the worst defense coordinator in NFL history. 

Oh, and I just learned a fun fact that the Redskins have never beaten the Chiefs in KC.  Admittedly, we don't play them that often, but the Chiefs have been around since 1971, so that is a long time. 

Next week's MNF game has "Redskins letdown" written all over it.  I feel like the only question is just whether it will be a gritty, disappointing loss or a complete blowout. 

15 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah, that was the most fun Skins game since 2012. 27-10 significantly underplays how one-sided that game was.

I still think that's a one-sided score.  Two scores (let alone 3) is usually a beat-down and 17 points as a final point differential is almost always a thumping.  Washington did not hold onto a 6 point lead and then pick off a Carr pass and return it for a late TD; they held a 21 lead for much of the game and dominated back to front.  

Not to sound like Patriots shill or anything here, but I think the Pats have made teams needlessly paranoid about leads.  Not to sound like Patriots shill or anything, but the Pats seemed to have hit our collective conscious with that Superbowl and now when a  fan sees that their team is up by 16 points they think, "Well, that's just two TDs and 2, 2-pt conversions...just like the Superbowl."  Again, not to sound like Patriots shill here or anything but usually, if a team wins by 13 points or more, that's a thumping; rarely is a game a good contest if a team lost by more than that.  

Again, not to sound too much like  patriots shill or anything here, but I have seen my fair share of good and bad football games in my time and I can say if your team wins by 17 points, that's domination.  Washington DC fans should be really happy with that win and that it really did reflect the dominance of Washington's O & D.

But when I speak too nicely about a team I don't want that to sound too much like a Pats shill.  So I'll stop.  

32 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

:lmao: Whatever you want, you shill for Xanax.

God that was great.  

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Fuck you and fuck your hollow defenses sperry. It was a personal attack. Say all the shit you want about Kraft or Belichick or Brady. I'm friendly enough with the people who do that. Manhole shits on them more than anyone but I respect him.

You made a personal attack, and you have a habit of making personal attacks on Rock when he doesn't say shit to you. You have literally made a habit of responding  to his long football posts with a stupid one-line insult.

So fuck off with your grievance act. You're just a useless little shit with a crush on a useless little shit of a mediocre Oklahoma quarterback. Your brain is about as well adjusted as Bradford's knees. I obviously have nothing but contempt for you, but I could be civil with your braindead bullshit as long as you stay in your usual lane. Don't try and tar us as Trumpkins just because you're surrounded by them in your own shitty life, and don't pretend a personal insult isn't one, you shitty little toad.

I'm thinking Spicy and the Mooch have an opening for a third here. Whadda ya say Dante? 

So Giants offense actually looked competent for a quarter, and they snapped their 8 straight games of scoring under 20 streak. Baby steps I guess. But that was probably the worst possible outcome as they looked just good enough to call the dogs off for a week. I want heads to roll.

I loved the total team effort to set that 61 yard bomb up. Vereen inexplicably runs out of bounds with 28 seconds left backed up deep, usually reliable Wing shanks the punt at the worst possible moment, then Wentz's pass is somehow not batted down or picked by Eli Apple who continues his awful start to the season. 

I did watch the sunday night game with a skins fan and a raiders fan so that was pretty fun(and took the points). Skins D-line absolutely dominated all night and made Raiders offense look mediocre. Also good to see a FSU product dominate the game like Thompson did. Dude got wheels.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Seconded. Yeah, that Redskins win was impressive. Chris Thompson looked fantastic, Cousins continues to be like the quietest good QB in the NFL, and your defense was absolutely dominant. The NFC East is going to be really fun to watch this season. 

39 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

God that was great.  

Guess I'm just a Rock homer...

So to bring this back to football or at least NFL-adjacent discussion:

The songs will be sung about Brady's miraculous 50th comeback, and people will forget the dropped pick right before the game-winner or the fact that O'Brien left them a chance when he chose to kick and go up 5 with over two minutes left, instead of converting a 4th and inches to seal the deal there. The Texans had been winning at the line of scrimmage all day and a big dude like Watson outta be able to fall on his center's back to get the first down. Once again, Pats let off the hook by opponent's mistakes.

People kept citing the statistic that no rookie QB ever beat the Brady/Belichick Pats at home, and that fact actually surprised me. I've seen plenty of young, lightly-regarded QBs do well against Pats defenses -- from Matt Flynn to Mark Sanchez to Tyrod Taylor to even Geno Smith. So Watson's performance was not that surprising to me. He's mobile, keeps poised, and they didn't have much film on him. Overall the defense has looked pretty bad, but I am expecting them to round into form as the season progresses, like they usually do.

I am pretty sure Mike Gillislee is a better RB than LeGarrette Blount, but he has failed repeatedly on 3rd and 1. Learn to fall forward, Gillislee!

Still, a nice win to steal, and especially nice with the Steelers, Ravens, Broncos, Raiders, and Dolphins all losing. So far KC looks like the class of the conference. I hope their tough division slows them down in the race for home field advantage.

What was less surprising: NE coming back to win after Houston left them two minutes, or Green Bay tying it up and winning in OT after the Bengals kicked a field goal to go up exactly 7 points in the 4th quarter?

As for the protests... There were just a handful of players that sat, knelt, or raised fists during the anthem in Week 2. The issue was moving into less visible territory. President Dumbshit's deranged whining galvanized the entire sports world pretty dramatically. When entire teams (props to the Steelers, Seahawks, and Titans) refuse to come out for the anthem, and every game has some kind of player protest, and 22 owners feel compelled to defend their players, that's a magnificent blowback. What an impressive job of anti-leadership by our awful President. He even made Roger Goodell look like a statesman!

Some fans in Foxboro booed the Patriots players who knelt for the anthem. Okay, it's your American right to express yourself, just as the players do. But if you're mad about the players failing to respect the flag and anthem, then booing during the anthem is even more disrespectful, even if it's targeted at those players. Smart move, dumbshits.

I'm not sure what to make of Alejandro Villenueva coming out by himself for the anthem. According to sources the team had a meeting and specifically decided on not going out for the anthem due to the concerns of Villenueva not wanting to be singled out for his response. Then he goes out by himself and does that.

1 minute ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I'm not sure what to make of Alejandro Villenueva coming out by himself for the anthem. According to sources the team had a meeting and specifically decided on not going out for the anthem due to the concerns of Villenueva not wanting to be singled out for his response. Then he goes out by himself and does that.

Dude served multiple tours in the Army. I personally think it's bullshit that the flag-humper crowd has successfully painted a very reasonable protest against systemic racism as somehow anti-troops, but I am sure Villanueva has some profound feelings about this issue, so it's hard for me to criticize him. I'm sure his teammates will give him some slack, even if they decided the group plan together.

Archived