Why no one adress the fact that Jon isn't the LC anymore?

Ser Loras The Gay

• 3 weeks later...

While I thought Jon could have used his death as a loophole to leave the Watch at that point, that's not what he did. When he came back to life, he resumed his duties as Lord Commander by executing the mutineers then resigned. Doing it this way seems more like desertion because his watch ended not at the point of his death but while he was alive (or at least undead). Also just about everybody who wasn't there would see it as deserting as they would hardly expect to believe that Jon pulled a 'Jesus'. The only person who does though seems to be Ramsay.

Also it's a very big turnaround from Jon who pre-death refuses to leave the Watch for anything, even Lord of Winterfell, yet shortly after he comes back to life can't wait to get out of there and go somewhere else and happily becomes King in the North. Maybe he really did turn into a different character after his death and rebirth.

On 13/10/2017 at 0:02 AM, CaptainTheo said:

Also it's a very big turnaround from Jon who pre-death refuses to leave the Watch for anything, even Lord of Winterfell, yet shortly after he comes back to life can't wait to get out of there and go somewhere else and happily becomes King in the North.

I swore a vow to the Night's Watch. If I don't take my own word seriously, what sort of Lord of Winterfell would I be?

He refused Stannis because it would break his vows. Because his word would have no value anymore. Stannis being king or pretender. But he considers the others, by killing him, broke the vows. Not him.

Aye, I pledged my life to the Night's Watch. I gave my life. For all nights to come. They killed me, Edd, my own brothers!
You want me to stay here after that?

The murder was kinslaying. Anyone could execute the mutineers. Not just the LC. But I agree, more or less a D&D's story loophole.

I don't think it will happen that way in the books. Not everyone wanted the LC dead. I don't suppose the mutineers will survive the night.

Archived