Cogman Developing 5th Prequel Series

Westeros

On 25/9/2017 at 11:39 PM, Newstar said:

Morally ambiguous or downright evil characters can still be compelling with great writing,

This.

There is an italian tv series called Gomorra, one of the best tv series I've seen. There are hardly any redeeming characters in the whole series (2 so far, the 3rd coming on the 17th of november). Yet is beautifully written, so realitstic, and the whole thing done so well (setting, the actors, the music, the direction) that you love it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23.10.2017 at 8:41 AM, Caterina Sforza said:

This.

There is an italian tv series called Gomorra, one of the best tv series I've seen. There are hardly any redeeming characters in the whole series (2 so far, the 3rd coming on the 17th of november). Yet is beautifully written, so realitstic, and the whole thing done so well (setting, the actors, the music, the direction) that you love it. 

But you can not compare a minor series like "Gomorrah" with an HBO show, especially a "Giant" like GoT or his sequel. The number of audience, the budget and the expectations for both shows could not be more different. HBO puts millions of dollars in the sequel of GoT and wants to reach just as many viewers as GoT did, otherwise they would have an economical  and reputational desaster with many people loosing their jobs, including some of the CEO's. This is why some indipendent movies dare to risk and go different paths regarding the story, while Blockbusters can't. At the end of the day, what matters is the average viewer and the number of viewers. Keep in mind, that most viewers won't apreciate a show with only antagonists and no heroes or good guys. GoT had a lot of bad guys, and sure the audience loved them also. But it were the heroes, with whom the audience cheered for, like all the Starks, Danny and Tyrion, to name a few. And theese where all main characters. 

If you want to compare an american TV show with "Gomorrah", a better pick would be "The Sopranos", also a huge success. But Sopranos was a success, because of the history of the US, the imigration history and problems with minorities within the US. It is part of america, and therefore it finds his audience. But a fantasy show, in a fantasy world, with only grey and evil characters? It might only work for the hardcore fantasy fan, which will not be enough to top the break-even point. I don't think that HBO will risk this.

That being said, I don't think that DOTD is out of table. They will just make it work for TV,  by changing and adding more to the characters and making them more compelling for the audience. And I already see some guys here, bashing the showrunners, the writers and HBO for changing the plot :D.

On 12/11/2017 at 0:20 PM, Dragonsbone said:

Keep in mind, that most viewers won't apreciate a show with only antagonists and no heroes or good guys. GoT had a lot of bad guys, and sure the audience loved them also. But it were the heroes, with whom the audience cheered for, like all the Starks, Danny and Tyrion, to name a few. And theese where all main characters. 

Oh that's not what I meant. I was replying to what the other user was saying, regarding morally ambiguous or evil characters that can still be compelling with great writing. 

I have no problems having "good" guys in the show, or books for that matter. Indeed, As much as I like ambiguous characters (I do not find downright evil ones interesting at all tbh) my no. 1 favorite character, both in the books and in the show is Jon. Followed by Arya, Bran and Tyrion which have different levels of grey. Arya probably is going too dark in the books but still, I love it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎.‎9‎.‎2017 at 7:54 PM, Lady Noble said:

That's what I wanted to hear, lol. I did not enjoy Dunk and Egg at ALL. I do not want to see that story on screen. I'm really hoping the spin-off will take place in old Valyria. I want to see the dragons, mages, volcanoes, etc. I don't want to see Mireen, Yun kai, etc.

Reducing property to schlock that everybody is doing wouldn´t be exactly recipe for broad appeal.

• 4 months later...

If I read this right, there will be no characters from GOT in any of the new series? So they are all over 100 years +/- in the past then because of Brynden Rivers, born 175 AC?

One being entirely off Westeros, I would guess involving Dothraki and/or slavers bay? Hopefully they have learned their lesson doing anything with Dorne!

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, Ran said:

Does the TV show establish that the last greenseer is Brynden Rivers? I thought it implied he was much older than that.

Good point, I likely merged the two versions in my head while watching and thought they said it.

Archived