Outlander II: Sing me a Song...

Theda Baratheon

On 5/10/2018 at 12:31 AM, Risto said:

Till season 6? Wow I didn't know!

On 5/10/2018 at 5:05 PM, Zorral said:

I just concluded watching season 3.  As with the third novel, Voyager, when we hit the Caribbean, the African slave trade, and the supposed culture that was created with African slavery on the islands, it really goes of the rails.  It even looked as cheesy as the cliched mess the scenes were, of drinking blood and all the rest. The scenes among the white people were fine, with the exception of the cray cray Geillis.  There was way too much hand wavium, which comes straight out of the novel.

I also found the finale a little bit rushed, especially in regards to Geillis' plot. But I have not read the novels to compare.

Thank goodness, changes were made to the novel's Chinese Mr. Willoughby, and made for the better, yet entirely plausible.

I liked his portrayal. Great character!

The actors portray Jamie and Claire even more deeply and plausibly than ever.  Gads they are beautiful people, those actors!  But they've got something brilliant, separately and together, as actors, that goes far beyond beauty, and that beauty alone can't create.

8 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I absolutely wholeheartedly agree. They're beautiful people, sure. They're solid actors, definitely. They have chemistry together, no doubt. But there's also something else about them both separately. I really love them so much. 

I agree with that as well. Although I think that it's not only them, I also "loved" the two characters played by Tobias Menzies, what an amazing actor he is.

And Sam Heughan is amazing.....but Caitriona Balfe certainly deserves some kind of award the sooner the better!

I really love this show... moreover, its become a phenomenon... not to the extent of GoT.... but the fans of this show are (understandably) dedicated, and rabid. However i--in regards to creating a larger franchise-- ts positioned oddly insofar as the comic con crowd (autographs, panels, etc) loves it, but its primary audience is not inclined to attend an event with people dressed as Deadpool... 

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to November.

Do any of you know what location is standing in for North Carolina in seasons 4 and 5?

Part of the problem with the the last episodes of season 3 is that they weren't shot in the Caribbean and it really shows -- just as those scenes in Boardwalk Empire that were supposed to be in Florida and Cuba were so obviously not Florida and Cuba (both locations with which I'm more than familiar -- as I am with the Carolinas and the North American south and Atlantic seaboard too).

17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Do any of you know what location is standing in for North Carolina in seasons 4 and 5?

Part of the problem with the the last episodes of season 3 is that they weren't shot in the Caribbean and it really shows -- just as those scenes in Boardwalk Empire that were supposed to be in Florida and Cuba were so obviously not Florida and Cuba (both locations with which I'm more than familiar -- as I am with the Carolinas and the North American south and Atlantic seaboard too).

I don't know that that was really a problem. Maybe if you are from that region, and know and love it. But they used the same location(s) they used for Black Sails, which imo was fine. 

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

I don't know that that was really a problem. Maybe if you are from that region, and know and love it. But they used the same location(s) they used for Black Sails, which imo was fine. 

The Caribbean in season 3 was actually South Africa.

South Africa cannot stand in, in any way, for North Carolina, at least not plausibly.

Of course location shooting is verra costly, as Jaimie might observe.  I'm not sure if a production from a network like Starz would qualify for NC's film and television grants.  The a$$hat$ of NC's cray cray legistlature, doing the very best to destroy what has been a great economic platform for the state, is doing its best to destroy the state's high tech, academic, research, etc. triangle.  Part of that was canceling the incentives to bring television and film productions to the state. (Don't want all those furriners in here spoiling our regressive way of life! -- and, of course, voting . . . .)

I kinda like the idea of this series actually coming home to North American, where the author who created the books and the network that was smart enough and smart enough to produce a screen version -- and North Carolina 's Blue Ridge and Great Smoky mountains are as stunning as Scotland's Highlands -- plus there are the forests and rivers.

33 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The Caribbean in season 3 was actually South Africa.

South Africa cannot stand in, in any way, for North Carolina, at least not plausibly.

Of course location shooting is verra costly, as Jaimie might observe.  I'm not sure if a production from a network like Starz would qualify for NC's film and television grants.  The a$$hat$ of NC's cray cray legistlature, doing the very best to destroy what has been a great economic platform for the state, is doing its best to destroy the state's high tech, academic, research, etc. triangle.  Part of that was canceling the incentives to bring television and film productions to the state. (Don't want all those furriners in here spoiling our regressive way of life! -- and, of course, voting . . . .)

I kinda like the idea of this series actually coming home to North American, where the author who created the books and the network that was smart enough and smart enough to produce a screen version -- and North Carolina 's Blue Ridge and Great Smoky mountains are as stunning as Scotland's Highlands -- plus there are the forests and rivers.

Would they be able to use Georgia? Georgia seems to offer a lot of incentives to film/TV production companies.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:05 AM, Zorral said:

I just concluded watching season 3.  As with the third novel, Voyager, when we hit the Caribbean, the African slave trade, and the supposed culture that was created with African slavery on the islands, it really goes of the rails.  It even looked as cheesy as the cliched mess the scenes were, of drinking blood and all the rest. The scenes among the white people were fine, with the exception of the cray cray Geillis.  There was way too much hand wavium, which comes straight out of the novel.

We just finished watching season 3 last night. Overall, I liked this season better than the others. The pacing overall was better, except for the last episode. The end really does feel rushed. And the last few scenes really felt like bad 80's TV.

Claire berating everyone to let the experienced sailors handle the ship and then immediately rushing out because she's a doctor was bad. Then the way Jaime saved her was worse. Really? He dives into a raging sea at night and can find and swim down to her as a piece of wreckage drags her down? AND he gives her the kiss of life underwater?

Yeah, other that that last bit, I was able to look past the other bits and enjoy it. Sad to see Scotland go, but looking forward to seasons 4-6.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Would they be able to use Georgia? Georgia seems to offer a lot of incentives to film/TV production companies.

The Blue Ridge and the Great Smokies are in Georgia too -- so are rivers and forests.  So yah, they could. Still, it would be so cool if they could do it where the books are set.

2 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Is your profile pic La Belle et la Bête???? 

Sure is! :)

Here's more on the locations:

Showrunner Ron Moore reveals that the producers did initially investigate shooting the new season in the United States as many other TV shows do, but ultimately decided against it. 

“We looked into it, and it just didn't make sense to us for a lot of reasons, both financial and also we have this enormous infrastructure and this amazing team of artisans and craftspeople and crew in Scotland, and ultimately we just didn't really want to let go of and start all over again," Moore says. “So we will shoot Scotland for America. We will also travel to eastern Europe to do some exterior work to sort of sell the mountains of North Carolina the rivers and things like that.”

https://mashable.com/2017/12/10/outlander-season-4-america-spoilers-season-3-finale-recap/

52 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Showrunner Ron Moore reveals that the producers did initially investigate shooting the new season in the United States as many other TV shows do, but ultimately decided against it. 

“We looked into it, and it just didn't make sense to us for a lot of reasons, both financial and also we have this enormous infrastructure and this amazing team of artisans and craftspeople and crew in Scotland, and ultimately we just didn't really want to let go of and start all over again," Moore says. “So we will shoot Scotland for America. We will also travel to eastern Europe to do some exterior work to sort of sell the mountains of North Carolina the rivers and things like that.”

https://mashable.com/2017/12/10/outlander-season-4-america-spoilers-season-3-finale-recap/

That's one of my favourite films :) 

And thanks for the info 

23 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Damn.  Scotland doesn't look like North Carolina.  It really doesn't.  The mountains and rivers of eastern Europe really don't look like North Carolina -- just think of the difference between Alpine chains and and Appalachian chains, if you wonder that.  Compare the Danube and NC's Cape Fear River, that leads to the state's only port.

Sure the North Carolina mountains -- like all mountains -- have lots of fog.  But in spring, summer and into the fall -- especially in the flatter valley bottoms where they farm -- up there it can get really, really, really hot and humid.

This is a huge disappointment and will drag down the previous extreme high quality of the series, as did the attempt to substitute South Africa for the Caribbean.  I think we're seeing the end of the greatness of Outlander.  Sigh.  OTOH, so do the novels deteriorate -- and sometimes even enormously deteriorate -- after the middle of Voyager.

• 2 months later...

I watched the trailer yesterday and wondered if anyone here would put up / link it.  You did not disappoint! :D

Gads, I hope the next season(s) are not as endlessly pointless as the books are.  Lordessa, how much endless detail of everything can we put up -- while actual events are few and far between (but never fear, rape and / or rape-like events continue).  And then -- Brianna, o fracking dear . . . .

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

I watched the trailer yesterday and wondered if anyone here would put up / link it.  You did not disappoint! :D

Gads, I hope the next season(s) are not as endlessly pointless as the books are.  Lordessa, how much endless detail of everything can we put up -- while actual events are few and far between (but never fear, rape and / or rape-like events continue).  And then -- Brianna, o fracking dear . . . .

I haven't read the books, but does the environment look suitably enough like North Carolina? :D

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I haven't read the books, but does the environment look suitably enough like North Carolina? :D

Couldn't tell at all from single frames galloping by.  All closeups, and a single beach.  No background, grounding . . . .

If it's summer in NC and their breath vaporizes . . . .

Archived