Outlander II: Sing me a Song...

Theda Baratheon

If Murtagh has the role in the books I'm guessing they put him in, we will see disappointingly little of him. But then, this is where the show often takes liberties with the books' narrative, and for the better, in my opinion.

BTW, one might justifiably wonder, since I seem to have such a low opinion of the books, or at least of the later ones, why is it I've ended up reading all of them, hmmmmmmmm?  :laugh:

It's because it's taken me many years to read them, sometimes a single one of them for two years!  This is because I read them while traveling, when there is very little reason or opportunity to read anything.  Somehow, in these constricted reading circumstances, these are the perfect books, because they take little focus and attention.  Because of the endless repetition of the daily and mundane, particularly the increasingly disgusting parts of it when transported to the rawness of colonial North America's Atlantic coast, while so little of actual narrative plot and story happens, one isn't in danger of forgetting anything essential.  The very repetition becomes soothing in some ways, particularly when going on long flights overseas, and the flight's in-air entertainment has little if anything to one's taste, and the offerings remain the same going and returning. Nor do they thrown one precipitously back into the world from which one has been far away, which these days particularly is the real rest of leaving the country of our voter registration.  And, as mentioned, these books, weighing in 1500 + pp. at least, last forever!  Just leave it in your carry on from one trip to another. :read:

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 2:56 AM, Risto said:

So, Catherine of Aragon is welcoming Jaime Fraiser into Catelyn Tully's home? :D 

And did I hear Lord John? Someone please say yes... :D

So I was not the only one hearing that?? :PI thought I had misheard it. I have not read the books.

• 4 weeks later...

New opening credit trailer for Outlander -- with, of course, fiddles. The music, however, remains as pure as always.

However, as I feared, so much of what is supposed to be North Carolina looks as set constructed, i.e. fake, as those later scenes of the previous season that were supposed to be in the Caribbean. There is a flatness to them that the scenes in Scotland's castles, manor houses and landscape did not have -- nor even those scenes in Paris didn't have.

There are luscious frames, all be it that they flash by in less than a second, so one can't focus on the mise-en-scène in the slightest, thus one can't really judge those.  Of course, both Jamie and Claire will be as luscious as they've always been, we know that (though we don't even get to 'see' them either)!

• 5 weeks later...

So no one else watched the premiere last night?

I thought it was fairly slow, despite the ending. But glad for the return of it, with all the wonderful imagery and music. 

Spoiler

I actually didn't think the end scene being done over a song (I've no issues with the song choice) was a good idea. Covering up all the sounds with the song makes me wonder why didn't the bandits just murder everyone. We don't hear what Bonnett told Claire.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

So no one else watched the premiere last night?

I thought it was fairly slow, despite the ending. But glad for the return of it, with all the wonderful imagery and music. 

Reveal hidden contents

I actually didn't think the end scene being done over a song (I've no issues with the song choice) was a good idea. Covering up all the sounds with the song makes me wonder why didn't the bandits just murder everyone. We don't hear what Bonnett told Claire.

about to watch it in a minute, so excited!!!

I don't have a Starz subscription, so I'm just reading recaps and reviews.  And I have read all the books, at least the books up to Breath of Snow and Ashes, where I'm totally bogged down.  But haven't had a really long international plane flight since this summer, for which experiences I've always saved these books, since it matters not all where one stops, starts or drops in, or how long in-between these.  The Drums of Autumn took me over two years to read (while having read many, many other books).

In any case I always read with great interest what you all have to say here about the series's episodes.

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I don't have a Starz subscription, so I'm just reading recaps and reviews.  And I have read all the books, at least the books up to Breath of Snow and Ashes, where I'm totally bogged down.  But haven't had a really long international plane flight since this summer, for which experiences I've always saved these books, since it matters not all where one stops, starts or drops in, or how long in-between these.  The Drums of Autumn took me over two years to read (while having read many, many other books).

In any case I always read with great interest what you all have to say here about the series's episodes.

$9/month through Amazon Prime or Hulu (and maybe others). Easy to sign up, easy to cancel. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

$9/month through Amazon Prime or Hulu (and maybe others). Easy to sign up, easy to cancel. 

My amazon account has everything to do with the kindness of, well, not strangers, but a friend, and Hulu is always offering me deals.

However, I can sign up for cheap and resign any time directly with Starz too (I don't need a cable account, which I don't have).  I guess I can wait though, there are so many deadlines to meet, friends to be with, books to read and tv to watch as it is! 

I watched the first two episodes and boy, was it difficult to watch.

The second episode in River Run was so painful. This show has such a great power in telling those history lessons and turn them into humane stories of suffering and regret. Claire and Jaime's powerlessness in this episode was both frustrating and appropriate. But it is Rufus' fate that reminded me of so many atrocities that humankind has done. And the worst tragedy is the notion of justice. It is a perverse logic of dehumanization of others that truly leaves the worst of tastes in your mouth.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Risto said:

Bumping this... OK, that reunion in the last episode was amazing. 

But... Spoilers for next episode

Hide contents

JOHN GREY IS BACK!!!

Spoiler

Everyone comes back!  Even if they weren't in the book!  :lol:

Dang, I had done it again -- clicked on the quote instead of the intended spoiler command, thus had to edit, of course!  Sorry.

Really liked the reunion this episode.

On Brianna,

Spoiler

Not read the books, but fully expected her to travel back in time. At the same time, I have to ask what the fuck is she thinking?

The stones have never really been explained in the show. Geillis performed a sacrifice to do it, but Claire didn't. My guess is Claire is one of those rare people who can simply use them. I'm not surprised Brianna is, too, but how can she know she'll arrive at the appropriate time? Geillis left in, what 1963? and got there before Claire, who had left in 1945. There is a 203 year difference for Claire, which repeats when she travels again, so presumably that sticks with her. Will Brianna's time difference be the same? Am I overthinking this? Not the type of show to ponder these issues? :P

Also, Claire had tough enough time adapting to 18th century Scotland, and that with her training as a nurse, and coming from the worst war in history, so she was used to tough times. Brianna, on the other hand... she's going to die. I'm sure she'll prove she's inherited her father's fighting spirit, and thus survive. And since I read Risto's spoiler, John Grey will probably help, too. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Really liked the reunion this episode.

On Brianna,

Hide contents

Not read the books, but fully expected her to travel back in time. At the same time, I have to ask what the fuck is she thinking?

The stones have never really been explained in the show. Geillis performed a sacrifice to do it, but Claire didn't. My guess is Claire is one of those rare people who can simply use them. I'm not surprised Brianna is, too, but how can she know she'll arrive at the appropriate time? Geillis left in, what 1963? and got there before Claire, who had left in 1945. There is a 203 year difference for Claire, which repeats when she travels again, so presumably that sticks with her. Will Brianna's time difference be the same? Am I overthinking this? Not the type of show to ponder these issues? :P

Also, Claire had tough enough time adapting to 18th century Scotland, and that with her training as a nurse, and coming from the worst war in history, so she was used to tough times. Brianna, on the other hand... she's going to die. I'm sure she'll prove she's inherited her father's fighting spirit, and thus survive. And since I read Risto's spoiler, John Grey will probably help, too. 

Spoiler

No, and this is known in the books at least.

Claire and family  need precious stones to go through.  A stone in one of the rings Claire was wearing burned itself out in the passage to the past.  Thus the significance of the pouch of jewels Jamie brings back on his walk-away from Ardsmuir  Prison to an island from when came a rumor to him of the appearance of a "white lady." The Fraser pearls are a constant in the books, and that Brianna has them . . . .

But, because they are who they are, as opposed to who Gellis is/was, they didn't need blood and evidently it doesn't debilitate them as much as the passage does for other methods.  Nevertheless, no matter, it seems -- it's all very murky -- there is a genetic quirk that allows for this.

How all this comes together is not fully understood even by the end of the even more massive A Breath of Snow and Ashes (almost 1000 pages), #6 in the series, -- with one more after that, and yet another in the works.

Archived