Outlander II: Sing me a Song...

Theda Baratheon

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So was the novel -- I swear 66% of it was detailed descriptions of Jemmy's shit and drool, where it wasn't descriptions of the adults drooling over Jimmy all together.  Did Gabaldon become a grandmother shortly before writing Fiery Cross? :P  I never got through Breath of Snow and Ashes no matter how often I tried.  At some point I'll probably fast forward through this season, just for the best character from all the books, Adso.

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Macklunkey said:

Nobody been watching? 

I don't know what I find more uncomfortable. Claire's angry,upset,annoyed face or my wife's angry, upset, annoyed face.

I've been watching, but apart from this last episode, my previous comment applies.

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've been watching, but apart from this last episode, my previous comment applies.

Same here. 

Fun thing is, last episode was the first we watched remotely close to release day and it was the first where we wanted to watch the next one right away. 

While I have no doubt (as having never read the books) that Roger is alive, it's a cheap cliffhanger

55 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Same here. 

Fun thing is, last episode was the first we watched remotely close to release day and it was the first where we wanted to watch the next one right away. 

Hide contents

While I have no doubt (as having never read the books) that Roger is alive, it's a cheap cliffhanger

haha, I kept yelling "It's not his coat." 

Somehow someone has forgotten to inform the producers who the stars of this show should be. As I understand the books moved to more Brianna/Roger-centric plot, but honestly, those two, as sweet as they are, can't carry the show.

Also, I have to say that given that Roger was an historian, I find it incredibly silly that it was Brianna and not he who understood the significance of the battle he partook.

IDK, I want focus to be Claire and Jaime. And Lord John. Then Marsali. Also Young Ian. Not bad idea to see what's happening in Scotland. And then in those 4-5 minutes that would remain, let's see what Mac and Cheese (pun intended :D ) are doing. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Macklunkey said:

Dearie me, yet more sexual violence. I'm sure it must be beating GOT now for rapes and assault.

Holy cow that was a brutal watch... I was pacing around the room it was making me so angry, even though I kept repeating in my head that it was just a TV show.... and this song will never be the same to me...

That said, I thought this season dropped off... saved somewhat by the final few episodes... 

That was brutal, and while Jamie's rape in season 1 was also brutal, here the situation kinda came out of the blue. Not to mention that the whole thing about Claire being a defiant woman in a man's world was a theme from the start of the show, so I don't think this was really that necessary.

Also, Starz/Amazon deceived me. They lobbed the premiere of some other show in the stream of the finale, so initially I assumed I was watching a 2-hr finale. So I was relieved that the Claire kidnapping was resolved after about 20-25 minutes, only to find out it was practically half the episode. :bang:

So, here we have a main character who is a time-travelling woman AND in the course of 5 seasons

1. Her husband gets raped

2. Her daughter gets raped

3. Her adoptive son gets raped

4. Her nephew gets raped

Not to mentioned that basically in the first two seasons we had almost one rape/rape attempt per episode. 

Enough is enough.

Yes, I understand that this is an adaptation but I feel that this episode, as brilliant as it was in its horror, was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

Balfe is an amazing actress and she has been doing an amazing work throughout these 5 seasons. That has to be said, after all.

On 5/12/2020 at 8:02 PM, Mladen said:

So, here we have a main character who is a time-travelling woman AND in the course of 5 seasons

1. Her husband gets raped

2. Her daughter gets raped

3. Her adoptive son gets raped

4. Her nephew gets raped

Not to mentioned that basically in the first two seasons we had almost one rape/rape attempt per episode. 

Enough is enough.

Yes, I understand that this is an adaptation but I feel that this episode, as brilliant as it was in its horror, was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

Balfe is an amazing actress and she has been doing an amazing work throughout these 5 seasons. That has to be said, after all.

I agree with you.  Which as much as I admired this series as a screen series, I found re-watching impossible and will not watch this season.  I have read many of the books too, and found the same problem.  I just quit at about this point -- a little before.

God that last episode destroyed me. I really couldn’t take it I was sobbing and found it so difficult. Hated seeing Claire put through that and be so powerless knowing that there was nothing she could do about it, even after the fact. 

I’ve read that some people found it very well done and as victims of a similar nightmare appreciated the acting. But my goodness it just felt like...every character has been raped...

I love the principal characters - actors -- they are so very good, individually and with each other, and with the rest of the characters - cast too.  But especially these days, I cannot take this stuff.  At all.

Archived