Outlander II: Sing me a Song...

Theda Baratheon

22 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I love this show, but the amount of unfortunate coincidences that befall these people is beginning to get silly 

Hide contents

in the entire country of Scotland, Brianna just wanders to Loghaire's house....  and of all the boat captains in Scotland, Roger simply bumbles onto Bonnet's?

.... c'mon.... pull the other one. 

Fiction! fICTION! FICtion!  Gotta pull plot and story together somehow, efficiently too. Though Gabaldon isn't very much about efficient. But, judging by sales, effective!

The tv writers are pulling off the job so far heroically.  But the problem is that everything really gets messy structurally, plot-wise etc, and worse and worse, as the books go on.  They've relied very carefully as well as creatively on the books so far 

Spoiler

Murtagh not included, among other elements, but you all are OK with it so evidently that works too.

P.S. As an ONNP (Officially Not Nice Person), any time Laoghaire's face appears on screen, I have a terrific urge to knock out her oversized teeth.  Additionally, Laoghaire's voice triggers an equally terrific urge to sew her mouth shut.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:54 AM, Zorral said:

The tv writers are pulling off the job so far heroically.  But the problem is that everything really gets messy structurally, plot-wise etc, and worse and worse, as the books go on.  They've relied very carefully as well as creatively on the books so far 

I watched the "Inside the episode" (or whatever they call it) video, and the the show writer spoke about changing some plots from the books. Apparently there was a tombstone with Jaime's name that Frank erected so Brianna would find out about Jaime (I haven't read the books so I hope I am writing this correctly). Instead, as they said, they chose to do obituary as they were rather confused by the idea from the books. And some other people whom I spoke with told me the same, that writers are doing amazing job with the story that truly has a lot of problems.

2 hours ago, Risto said:

I watched the "Inside the episode" (or whatever they call it) video, and the the show writer spoke about changing some plots from the books. Apparently there was a tombstone with Jaime's name that Frank erected so Brianna would find out about Jaime (I haven't read the books so I hope I am writing this correctly). Instead, as they said, they chose to do obituary as they were rather confused by the idea from the books. And some other people whom I spoke with told me the same, that writers are doing amazing job with the story that truly has a lot of problems.

Yah -- I think so too. Which is why I don't have any problem with

Spoiler

Murtagh showing up on screen.

TV, when it is well done, can and must demand the editorial improvements that publishers are too afraid, too under funded, too under staffed, and too bored to bother with doing, coz, you know, the fans, they put up with anything if her name's on it, and they don't care anyway.  Jamie! sex! Swoon!  Argh.

TV is already so expensive!

On 12/24/2018 at 2:21 AM, Martini Sigil said:

"Chopping down cherry trees"

That moment was sooooooo awkward, and wonderful. 

Indeed it was. The way she tried to excuse herself was hilarious. It was a nice touch.

And, I am so sorry for the lack of appropriate tact, we are back at raping. God only knows how many of my friends stopped watching "Outlander" in those first two seasons for having Claire almost raped almost every episode. Then of course Jaime was raped (and the audience was horrified, but wide masses were more worried about the case of eldest daughter of Lord Eddard Stark). Then, we had Hellwater, and for the time being, we thought to be finally moving from that. But no. Honestly, Gabaldon should have spoken with GRRM. They are friends. He could have thought of different ways to hurt a woman without resorting to rape.

It just feels too much. I am not trying to run away from the undoubted fact that women were raped on regular basis throughout our history. But for a TV show, enough is enough. 

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that tv watchers have far less compliance in terms of switching focus from Claire and Jamie to the tiresome Bree and Roger than Gabaldon's readers have.  The reviews and recaps of the episodes shown while away seem quite unhappy with this.  But there are other big changes too, from the books, that make it all more complicated, and the books are filled with way too much tedious complication and focus on baby poop as it is.

I fond Roger as annoying as many of you do... but less so since it dawned on me that he's from bout 50 years in our past...  his Victorian views on sex and marriage --although still cringe-worthy-- are slightly less so when put into that context... I'd been judging him by 2019 standards... I mean, he;s still a douche... but perhaps not a king kamehameha douche

But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I get a little joy from every beating he gets...lol

I am sorry, but Brianna's story has Lord John in it these days so there's no discussion here :D

I really hope this is just for the time being. I like Claire and Jaime and they have been so great this season. Especially Claire. Ms Balfe has been doing really great work. 

I am truly interested in seeing how the engagement between Lord John and Brianna will pan out. They seem to understand each other rather well. And her face when he explained to her that he will do his duties as a husband was priceless. 

I actually really love Brianna and Roger and I seem to be the only one LOL! 

I believe their romance. 

They are the only two people in their own time who can truly understand strange, large parts of who they are. 

People are SO mean to Sophie the actress...honestly, I LOVE Outlander and I watch a lot of extra videos on YouTube but some of the fans of this show are...A Lot. 

I'm really glad that the show seems to be trying to handle the material of Gabaldon's books in a way that actually makes more sense. For once I'm all for the show veering away from the books at times. I haven't read them all but I've gone and read like all the synopsis of every book HAHA (I will eventually read them) and honestly some of it sounds sooooo convoluted and ridiculous. I kinda like that the showrunners are trying their best to make a show that can be understood without the books. 

23 hours ago, King Roberts beard said:

I know that there are spin off books with Lord John Grey as the focus...........but would a show get an audience? 

Seeing as he seems to be a fan favourite character in the show, I would say... yes?

But I haven't read the books, so I have no idea. Do they take place during his time in Britain or in America?

They really aren't interesting (when not including Jamie), except to that segment of female fandom that is passionately invested in man on man love written by a woman (a passion I admit to not comprehending at all!, but it is everywhere in fandom -- but then I don't comprehend fandom or fanfic either, so just shoot me now, or, as one of my favorite all time characters,Janette Desautel, played by Kim Dickins, in Treme would comment, "eff me!").

I think, if properly done, Lord John's story can be rather interesting. That said, I have no idea what Lord John series entails and what kind of story it says, so I am blind in that aspect. But, having a show about closeted homosexual in 18th century Britain/America, would undoubtedly be interesting. 

Speaking of that, is it just me, or has anyone else got a "Interview with a vampire" vibe from that sex scene between Lord John and Judge Alderdyce?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the ending of the finale had some major BS in it. Roger seriously couldn't travel with Jamie and Claire and use all that time (2-3 months) to think things through? Did we really need the super cliche moment when he dramatically shows up on his own? Roger needs to go, and I honestly don't care about this relationship anymore.

I liked Ian's moment, happy ending if you will. It felt Last of the Mohican(y), but with a good ending. 

I thought for sure that the reason why the American stone ring was introduced in the beginning, and later found by Roger, was for there to be enough time for Roger and Brianna to return to the 20th century before the baby came. I guess not, all we got was a somewhat rushed story of another time traveler, in order to create the drama at the Mohawk village. I mean, what are the chances that Claire, while lost in the woods of North Carolina, would find the skull and gem of a time travelling Native-American whose tribe lived in upstate New York.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I thought the ending of the finale had some major BS in it. Roger seriously couldn't travel with Jamie and Claire and use all that time (2-3 months) to think things through? Did we really need the super cliche moment when he dramatically shows up on his own? Roger needs to go, and I honestly don't care about this relationship anymore.

I liked Ian's moment, happy ending if you will. It felt Last of the Mohican(y), but with a good ending. 

I thought for sure that the reason why the American stone ring was introduced in the beginning, and later found by Roger, was for there to be enough time for Roger and Brianna to return to the 20th century before the baby came. I guess not, all we got was a somewhat rushed story of another time traveler, in order to create the drama at the Mohawk village. I mean, what are the chances that Claire, while lost in the woods of North Carolina, would find the skull and gem of a time travelling Native-American whose tribe lived in upstate New York.

It only gets worse, re the books, so imagine the show ain't getting better either.

Really, Jamie and Claire are finished as the major relationship from now on.  It's Roger and Brianna, and some others that we get instead.  And lots and Lots and LOTS of baby poop and drool, and instant-by-instant detail of everything they do or don't do.  Author like all grandmothers makes the error that their grandchildren are as endlessly fascinating and brilliant to everyone else as they are to themselves.  Clue stick -- they aren't.  They really aren't.  They aren't interesting or brilliant either.  Unlike, say, o, kittens.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived