Outlander II: Sing me a Song...

Theda Baratheon

12 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Oh man, how many spoilers are you looking for? This is a character I really like and he was cast and directed sooo sooo well. 

Reveal hidden contents

Book 8 and he's still around.  He's an integral part of Jamie's story, and becomes such for a bunch of other characters as well.

Glad to know he was cast well as I really like the actor and even though it was only one episode really bought that Jamie and he had genuinely become friends. And woo! Queer characters!

14 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

He definitely plays a larger part in the books. I haven't read them all yet myself (only the first one) but I know he's a huge fan favourite. 

12 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Oh man, how many spoilers are you looking for? This is a character I really like and he was cast and directed sooo sooo well. 

Reveal hidden contents

Book 8 and he's still around.  He's an integral part of Jamie's story, and becomes such for a bunch of other characters as well.

Thank you :) Yes, the actor is amazing. It seems he is Australian and we all know the best things come from Australia (ahem, ahem, Blanchett :D ). Wow, that is amazing, DrP... I am looking forward to it. 

So, it is official. John Grey is the best person in both centuries... Not only that he is brilliantly written, but the actor does his part extremely well.

I have to say that I haven't had such a great laugh since Lito told Will that they had sex in "Sense8" Season 1. 

Oh, and it was funny to see Lord Royce in those robes... That reminded me... So, it was Jaime who deflowered Myranda Royce :D 

Bear McCreary does such a good job with the musical score.  It's too often that it's not taken seriously when men are rapred by women, but the score definitely brought the needed gravity to the situation even if some of the camera angles tried to make it seem romantic.  A romantic rape.  Ugh *shiver*

Such a good episodes.  I like that they chewed through several years of Jamie's timeline instead of being sort of stagnant as they had in the first few episodes.  It was really eerie how Geneva looked and spoke so much like Claire, wondering if that will have lasting issues for Jamie.  That last scene was heartbreaking.  

I'm so sorry.  I had put up a link to the full text of Voyager without thinking about the likelihood that this was piracy.  I apologize for my idiocy.  It's just that I never look for such titles and certainly don't read them online (my online reading is academic sites for historical newspapers, pdfs and everything is legitimate.  I don't download hardly anything except some academic pdfs, for which it is allowed.  I just didn't THINK!  But I should have!

When I was queried about it was the first time I thought about it.  I tried to research the site and domain and couldn't find any information other than its host was secret, undisclosed, etc.

Again -- what an idiot I am.

While I call BS on the time travel epiphany of this episode, I guess no one wanted Claire to be 20 years older than Jamie when they reunited. Though it might have made for some interesting dialogue. :P

I kinda want Jamie to meet Brianna, though I think she would have a 100 times harder time adapting to 18th century life.

I loved the part in the pub with all the Scottish men staring at them. How long did it take for modern Scotland to truly become modern? :D

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

I'm so sorry.  I had put up a link to the full text of Voyager without thinking about the likelihood that this was piracy.  I apologize for my idiocy.  It's just that I never look for such titles and certainly don't read them online (my online reading is academic sites for historical newspapers, pdfs and everything is legitimate.  I don't download hardly anything except some academic pdfs, for which it is allowed.  I just didn't THINK!  But I should have!

When I was queried about it was the first time I thought about it.  I tried to research the site and domain and couldn't find any information other than its host was secret, undisclosed, etc.

Again -- what an idiot I am.

First, you are not an idiot. :D Second, what are you talking about? I must have missed something. 

27 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

While I call BS on the time travel epiphany of this episode, I guess no one wanted Claire to be 20 years older than Jamie when they reunited. Though it might have made for some interesting dialogue. :P

I kinda want Jamie to meet Brianna, though I think she would have a 100 times harder time adapting to 18th century life.

I loved the part in the pub with all the Scottish men staring at them. How long did it take for modern Scotland to truly become modern? :D

Well, I am not sure WHEN she will be back, although the cast was not shy when spoilers are in question (which is quite refreshing having in mind GoT cast in earlier season) so I assume she will be back somewhere in 1750s.

Well, all they need is 200 years to go back. I swear, 1740s Scotland is far more progressive than 1950s Scotland. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Bear McCreary does such a good job with the musical score.  It's too often that it's not taken seriously when men are rapred by women, but the score definitely brought the needed gravity to the situation even if some of the camera angles tried to make it seem romantic.  A romantic rape.  Ugh *shiver*

I have to say I hated the return of what I call "Outlander's infinite loop of rape". That said, for equality's sake, it was Jaime, and not Claire, on the line this time. I think they did a good job of making it serious enough, but also pointing out the youthful stupidity of Geneva. It is a really narrow line they have to walk and balance and for me, they have done good job in showing various aspects and POVs of the situation, never allowing any of those to overwhelm others. 

It surely wasn't a coincidence or happenstance.  However, she's still not Claire.

OTOH, Jamie seems to be (very slowly) healing -- particularly after having a son, beginning to be engaged by life, having feelings, making connections.  Claire, though, still "chases ghosts."  She even blew off her surgical cases back in Boston to keep chasing -- how not like Claire as we've always known her. Without Jamie, she's not really present, though his life in the past seems to be continuing to be lived. 

I cannot wait for them to be reunited.  Past, present and future shall split asunder!

2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Question for the book readers.... Is Geneva Dunsany supposed to resemble a young Claire?... or was it just a casting coincidence?

I don't recall Geneva resembling Claire so much in the books or it being any sort of plot point.  However (spoilers about differences in their sex scene)

Spoiler

I do recall that in the book Geneva withdrew consent in the middle of sex and Jamie continued anyway, pretty forcefully too.  So it was like this double rape thing, with her raping him through coercion and then him physically raping her.  

22 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Question for the book readers.... Is Geneva Dunsany supposed to resemble a young Claire?... or was it just a casting coincidence?

I really kept saying to my mum how much she was like Claire! Just in the way she held herself and her complexion and dark hair and some of the looks she gave and her accent. Very bizarre! 

That was one painful hour of television.  The actress who plays Bri is not very good.  I didn't really notice before but the dialogue here was so terrible that you could just tell she didn't have the skills when paired with Catriona Balfe.  Balfe took painfully terrible dialogue and gave it feeling.

And that dialogue was so bad.  It was the type of cliche where I knew everything they were going to say before they said it.  Also, Briana has been so poorly written that there was nothing believable about her pushing Claire to go away for good, nor was there anything believable about Claire agreeing.  The show hadn't earned that moment so it just fell flat.  

Thank goodness for the ending.  I wish we were given time to explore more of Claire getting back to Scotland and going through the stones and then traveling to Edinburgh, because that's a pretty good hike.  But my heart was pounding when she walked into the printer's shop and heard Jaime's voice for the first time in 20 years.  

3 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Thank goodness for the ending.  I wish we were given time to explore more of Claire getting back to Scotland and going through the stones and then traveling to Edinburgh, because that's a pretty good hike.  But my heart was pounding when she walked into the printer's shop and heard Jaime's voice for the first time in 20 years.  

I was so worried they were going to troll us with Claire just walking in the shop, and end it there. But, yeah, more time should have been given to her going back through the stones, which is a monumental thing on its own, than monologues about puddles while riding in the taxi, and well, the rest of the episode. And that last scene was hilarious.

Finally, she's back in Scotland. I have never been a fan of the Boston scenes. This episode was excruciating since every character was basically telling Claire how great she is for the duration. It's amazing Claire remains humble. They really dragged out the return this episode. Now a two-week wait for the next episode, although it's an extended episode. Yay! Scotland!

On 9/29/2017 at 5:20 PM, Risto said:

I forgot to ask... Was this the last time we see Lord Grey, or is he going to play a role in future events? #needtoreadthebooks

There is even a whole series of books about Lord Grey.  They are pretty good, if not the scope of the Outlander series

15 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I actually like Briana''s actress!  Eeveryone is so mean about her but I thought she was good and had great chemistry with Catriona!  

She does fade in comparison with both Catriona and Sam. I really have a hard time buying her as their child. But, interestingly enough, this reminds me of another actress, Sophie Turner. I know she is not Blanchett, but for the love of everything I hold dear, I simply don't get why people think she is THAT bad.

Archived