Outlander II: Sing me a Song...

Theda Baratheon

9 hours ago, Risto said:

She does fade in comparison with both Catriona and Sam. I really have a hard time buying her as their child. But, interestingly enough, this reminds me of another actress, Sophie Turner. I know she is not Blanchett, but for the love of everything I hold dear, I simply don't get why people think she is THAT bad.

Aww I love Sophie Turner as well.

On 10/18/2017 at 7:45 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Aww I love Sophie Turner as well.

Everything Sansa-related is close to my heart... Except for certain writing of two individuals I shall not name :D

OK, moving on... Episode 6

If we go back to "rape attempt/attack per episode" thing, I swear I will start wishing Brianna back. That said, episode was overall good but there were some clunky moments. I am not sure that the episode lived up to its build-up. I will have to watch the episode once again, but the music really stuck out for me.

I had a good laugh when Claire said that Fergus grew up into a handsome man. I am not sure I like the new actor. 

And the question of all questions, how long will I have to wait for Lord Grey to come back. This show needs him as White House a new tenant. 

Two weeks wait, an extra 20 minutes, and it was the most boring episode ever.  I was so disappointed.  (to be fair, I just reread this book this week, and while a few lines were so spot on, the rest was just plain boring.) My biggest complaint is "Mr. Willoughby"  -he told the story from Jamie's perspective not from Yi Tien Cho's and that changes the drama of the story

I liked the episode, pretty good dialogue between Jamie and Claire, and particularly enjoyed the scene with Brianna's pix. There was some good attention to detail there, though they missed some things. Maybe it didn't cross Jamie's mind to ask why the first couple pictures where 'gray', while the others had colors. And too bad he didn't ask about the plastic bag. :P 

And the scene with the zipper. :lol: Cheating Claire! It would be funny if someone took her corset, and started a whole fashion revolution way before it was supposed to happen.

Also, I appreciated that they took the time to show a little bit about how printing was done back then. The printing press is one of the important inventions in history, but it's not something movies or shows touch on. 

7 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I actually really loved the episode.  There are some changes that seem a bit iffy at this point, but other than that it was nice to have them back together.  The show is at it's best when Jamie and Claire are in the same room.  

I loved it too. I thought it was a lovely portrayal of then finding each other again in all ways and realising whatever they had between them never left. 

15 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Two weeks wait, an extra 20 minutes, and it was the most boring episode ever.  I was so disappointed.  (to be fair, I just reread this book this week, and while a few lines were so spot on, the rest was just plain boring.) My biggest complaint is "Mr. Willoughby"  -he told the story from Jamie's perspective not from Yi Tien Cho's and that changes the drama of the story

The real problem is the Willoughby character itself, in the book.  Just like her depictions of Africans and the enslaved coming up -- they are embarrassing racial caricatures.  The author doesn't understand any of this, which is why reading their adventures in the 'new world' turned me off so badly I quit.

Posting from outside the USA, so I haven't actually seen the episode.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

The real problem is the Willoughby character itself, in the book.  Just like her depictions of Africans and the enslaved coming up -- they are embarrassing racial caricatures.  The author doesn't understand any of this, which is why reading their adventures in the 'new world' turned me off so badly I quit.

I agree.  I was just thinking about some of the drama elements/motivations for actions (we could have done without him, he really doesn't add much to the whole story line).  I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about on Jamie tell Claire about Willie right off. I think he would have told her before she found out in the book (I have a lot of problem with some of the changes to their basic characters in the later books -jealousy, lack of honesty, some extreme mood swings from Claire---none of those things were a big part of their core personalities) but I'm not sure when...definitely when coming clean about the "you know what" situation.

5 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I agree.  I was just thinking about some of the drama elements/motivations for actions (we could have done without him, he really doesn't add much to the whole story line).  I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about on Jamie tell Claire about Willie right off. I think he would have told her before she found out in the book (I have a lot of problem with some of the changes to their basic characters in the later books -jealousy, lack of honesty, some extreme mood swings from Claire---none of those things were a big part of their core personalities) but I'm not sure when...definitely when coming clean about the "you know what" situation.

I didn't mind him telling her straight away - I suppose he was bursting to tell SOMEONE about it. And he wanted her to know. I think it was handled well. 

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

Posting from outside the USA, so I haven't actually seen the episode.

Yeah, I sort of cringed when Mr. Willoughby showed up because it was so bad in the books.  I don't think the author gets it even now after all these years of her readers telling her.  I'm hoping the show manages to not make it just a bunch of racial caricatures.   I'm honestly not sure what other purpose Mr. Willoughby would serve other than to

Spoiler

teach Claire acupuncture for Jamie's seasickness. 

May I say how much I'm looking forward to reading the discussion here of Sunday's coming episode -- if what I think happens happens?  Maybe I can read it on the plane during the very long travel day coming home, that includes hours on a bus just to get to the airport for the long flight back!

18 minutes ago, Zorral said:

May I say how much I'm looking forward to reading the discussion here of Sunday's coming episode -- if what I think happens happens?  Maybe I can read it on the plane during the very long travel day coming home, that includes hours on a bus just to get to the airport for the long flight back!

Same!  Well, minus the flight, but looking forward to the internet reactions.

I am not a book reader. So what happened or didn't happen this episode that got y'all so excited?

I found the episode ok, and I certainly hate that Jamie hid the knowledge, and potentially lied to, that he has another wife from Claire. I am not looking forward to that spat next episode.

9 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Sigh, come down off your cross Claire. Now you know how Frank felt. But Laoghaire? Really? And why didn't Murray have a boat? Why did he have to swim? 

Yeah, that part was dumb.

Also Jamie didn't lie to Claire as she claimed, he simply kept a secret, which according to her, it's fine.

7 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Yeah, that part was dumb.

Also Jamie didn't lie to Claire as she claimed, he simply kept a secret, which according to her, it's fine.

Yeah, Claire's just a bit of a hypocrite.

Archived