Bakker LI - The Darkness That Lies Ahead (TUC Spoilers!)

Spring Bass

8 hours ago, Kalbear said:

My suspicion is that Kellhus has an ability to transfer his soul between heads similar to Shae, and in the last minute he transfered his soul to the remaining head while the other swapped back - and died.

That would be disappointing.

9 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Well the other Decapitant was growing four horns right before Kellhus's head burst into flames.

It wasn't growing horns. Those horns were always there. Malowebi just didn't look closely at the other head before then.

3 hours ago, Hello World said:

By the way, did anyone get a better understanding of what Bakker meant when he said Serwe is the cipher to the whole series after reading TUC?

Nup. But it's probably to do with how oblivious she is. Possibly the idols she prays to initially did answer her prayers somehow (a handsome prince did come for her), but she did not see herself as having set that into effect, for example.

13 hours ago, Hello World said:

The PoN Serwe, Kellhus's first wife. By the way, does anyone know where that quote is from because I can't find it. I found a lot of references to it on both forums though...

I think we just all keep repeating the same misquote of this:

But it was the innocence part, that struck me as the most significant and the most redemptive. Without giving too much away, there is a manner in which Serwe is the most important character in the book.

Most people shake their head when I say that... Hell, even I shake my head.

Kellhus is an inversion of 'the Young Man who would be King.' My UK editor calls him the 'Anti-Frodo.' He is of course, far more than that besides.

Cnaiur is the All-conquering Barbarian (who cannot conquer himself).

Achamian is the Wise Sorcerer (who continually fools himself).

Which is a quote from the old-old Three-Seas board.  Not sure who mistakenly used the word cipher first, for all I know it could have been me.

35 minutes ago, .H. said:

I think we just all keep repeating the same misquote of this:

Which is a quote from the old-old Three-Seas board.  Not sure who mistakenly used the word cipher first, for all I know it could have been me.

Bakker did say she was an "important cipher in the books" as well.

http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=1716.msg27721#msg27721

Really A: I should take notes on questions to ask and B: Pester the guy for another AMA, despite how dreaded that is. I kinda feel silly not to have done A before the last AMA, but to be honest I couldn't think of a main pressing question.

I don't think Esme is saved due to her ignorance.  Kellhus might be correct in that ignorance is something God likes, but I think his answer that Intercession actually works and can be used to save even sorcerers is more revealing.  Esme has a clear intercessory agent in Mimara or Jesus.

Archived