Bakker LI - The Darkness That Lies Ahead (TUC Spoilers!)

Spring Bass

8 hours ago, Ajûrbkli said:

I don't think Esme is saved due to her ignorance.  Kellhus might be correct in that ignorance is something God likes, but I think his answer that Intercession actually works and can be used to save even sorcerers is more revealing.  Esme has a clear intercessory agent in Mimara or Jesus.

I won't say I disagree. I think it's quite clear that their is no rhyme or reason why the God might save somebody.

Finished the book a couple days ago, and then afterwards 60+ pages of TUC threads including the AMApocalypse, but I still think I like TUC overall. 

Has anyone else been listening to the series via audiobook? I feel like the narrator has done a pretty decent job of giving things an epic feeling and managing to pull off most of the purple prose (and well, he tried his best with the Serwa/dragon fight). 

Speaking of, do people think Serwa is dead? I got the impression she was dead from the book but I guess it's not 100% confirmed. I'd like her to stick around as I think it would be interesting to get a POV from one of the superkids after the failure of the father who had been the center of their world and seemed so infallible. 

6 hours ago, aimlessgun said:

Speaking of, do people think Serwa is dead? I got the impression she was dead from the book but I guess it's not 100% confirmed. I'd like her to stick around as I think it would be interesting to get a POV from one of the superkids after the failure of the father who had been the center of their world and seemed so infallible. 

Yeah, Serwa is decidedly not dead.  Now, it's undetermined if she is bound to die in the next series due to the complications from what happened, or what, so we'll just have to wait and see.  Bakker has admitted he isn't 100% sure exactly which direction he is going to take the story, so it really could go either way.

2 hours ago, The Prince of Newcastle said:

Is there a realistic chance of The No God being published? 

I was disapointed with TUC, and the Aspect Emperor in general tbh (I loved parts, The Slog, Ishterebinth) but I think I would still read another series.

I would just hope it was more PON than AE.

But doesnt he have a lot of issues with publication?

That certainly depends on how you want to operationalize "realistic" and "a lot of issues" though.

I there is there is close to zero chance that if Bakker writes TNG series, it would not get published by anyone.  At worst, it takes a while, it gets shopped around a bunch and we wait extra long, or Bakker bites the proverbial bullet and self-publishes or crowd-funds it.  I simply can't imagine, with the amount of books that get published on a daily basis that TNG could not be publishable at all.  Like, there are books out there about having sex with the Loch Ness monster, but TNG would be unpublishable?  I'm skeptical.

4 hours ago, The Prince of Newcastle said:

Is there a realistic chance of The No God being published? 

Yes.  But if Overlook doesn't want to pick him up, I imagine the any new publisher would want him to retool the next set of book to work as a stand-alone trilogy for new readers unless they buy the rights to his back catalogue. 

It's a book written by a boardie, and was released here for free in serial format.  In a kind of Dickensian model, initial readers were able to provide public feedback to the author before the release of the next installment. 

While the text is clearly original and unique (the author obviously held the true course of her concept), it also reveals an intimate dialogue between the author and audience.  

Do yourself a favor and purchase a copy for yourself and also several others as gifts for friends and family.  Ebooks make great stocking stuffers.

On grasping the Absolute:

So apparently next series installment is going to feature Crabicus as a bard-type character traveling the wastes of Kuniuri teaching himself magic through music; honing his voice and meaning, and by building progressively better lutes to accompany himself on and strengthen his song, he will explore beyond the boundaries of arcane song.

In an Arthurian twist, he will discover an ancient Cunuroi artifact, the ultimate lute.  In the bowels of a wrecked mansion, he will find the instrument, and will wrest it, The Absolute, from the stone and use it to destroy the No-God (who would be his great uncle?).  

5 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

On grasping the Absolute:

So apparently next series installment is going to feature Crabicus as a bard-type character traveling the wastes of Kuniuri teaching himself magic through music; honing his voice and meaning, and by building progressively better lutes to accompany himself on and strengthen his song, he will explore beyond the boundaries of arcane song.

In an Arthurian twist, he will discover an ancient Cunuroi artifact, the ultimate lute.  In the bowels of a wrecked mansion, he will find the instrument, and will wrest it, The Absolute, from the stone and use it to destroy the No-God (who would be his great uncle?).  

Are you making that up? He levels up and gains increasingly high +1/+2/+3 lutes? Getting the epic loot lute from a bard ass dungeon? Then fighting the BBEG with it!?

Don't be making this up. Because this is sweeeeet....YOU MUST TELL ME, WHAT DO YOU SING?

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Lol, I uh, not sure how many of you are aware of the actual in joke here.

Mysh... Sorry, Vivian St. Black did self publish, though. Doesn’t make his.. sorry, her... novel any less of a classic.

Well, my "example" was meant mostly for dramatic effect, not an actual parallel for an ideal publishing situation.  My point was mostly that if one has a "book" there are a number of ways to get it "out there" even if a traditional publisher would not be inclined to accept it.  I don't think this is really the situation Bakker is, or will be, in but that there should certainly be "options" should Overlook decline to pick up the next series.

If that were to happen, my "bet" would be on Bakker moving to Orbit, given that he already had them as the UK publisher for (I think) all the rest of the books.  Unless, of course, what we are actually getting is "Wet for Skuthula" and then, I guess...well, I don't know what I'd guess then.

Archived