Game of Thrones Season 8 Directors

Jose92

Hello everybody! I'm new on ASoIaF Forum, but I'm following it from a long time ago because I'm a great Game of Thrones fan and thi is one of best forums to talk about it, specially now that this story is coming to end. I'm here today to talk with you about the Game of Thrones Season 8 Directors, so ¿what do we know about it?

* Jeremy Podeswa (- The Dragon and the Wolf - Dragonstone Season 7- Home - The Red Woman Season 6- Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken (2015)- Kill the Boy Season 5)  will not be returning and (sadly) Matt Shakman (- Eastwatch - The Spoils of War Season 7) will almost certainly not be, either.

*Miguel Sapochnik (- The Winds of Winter - Battle of the Bastards  Season 6 - Hardhome - The Gift  Season 5) is confirmed, according to his cinematographer.

Also, we knew that Benioff and Weiss wrote the scripts for the final four episodes, with Dave Hill writing the season premiere and Bryan Cogman writing Episode 2.

But, who do you think will be the rest of the season 8 directors?

My bets are:

E1. David Nutter - Mother's Mercy (2015) - The Dance of Dragons (2015) Season 5 - Mhysa (2013) - The Rains of Castamere (2013) Season 3 - A Man Without Honor (2012) - The Old Gods and the New (2012) Season 2

E2. Alex Graves - The Children (2014) - The Mountain and the Viper (2014) - Breaker of Chains (2014) - The Lion and the Rose (2014) Season 4 - Kissed by Fire (2013) - And Now His Watch Is Ended (2013) Season 3

E3. Alan Taylor - Beyond the Wall (2017) Season 7 - Valar Morghulis (2012) - The Prince of Winterfell (2012) - The Night Lands (2012) - The North Remembers (2012) Season 2 - Fire and Blood (2011) - Baelor (2011) Season 1.

E4. Neil Marshall - The Watchers on the Wall (2014) Season 4 - Blackwater (2012) Season 2.

E5 and E6. Miguel Sapochnik (confirmed).

Update

EW.com just announced the directors lineup:

David Nutter (-Mother's Mercy - The Dance of Dragons  Season 5 - Mhysa - The Rains of Castamere  Season 3 - A Man Without Honor - The Old Gods and the New  Season 2).

Miguel Sapochnik (- The Winds of Winter - Battle of the Bastards  Season 6 - Hardhome - The Gift  Season 5).

David Benioff (- Walk of Punishment Season 3) and D.B. Weiss (- Two Swords Season 4). Finale.

"We heard Sapochnik will direct at least two, possibly even three episodes. But as of now, we have no official intel on who will helm which episodes aside from the showrunners tackling the finale."

So, my bets are:

Episodes 1 and 2. David Nutter

Episodes 3, 4 and 5. Miguel Sapochnik

Episode 6. David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (cofirmed)

So, what do you think about it? and what are your bets about Nutter and Sapochnik episodes?

Note: Sorry for my english but I'm not a native english speaker.

21 minutes ago, Newstar said:

Funny you should post this. EW.com just announced the lineup.

D&D will direct the finale. The remaining five episodes will be split between Miguel Sapochnik and David Nutter. EW.com seems to think that Sapochnik will get three.

Amazing line up. Sapochnick for 3 episodes is great news.

I assume the last episode will just be resolution so D&D should be able to handle that well since they did a great job with Two Swords. 

I like OP's guess for who will get which episodes. I feel most certain about Sapochnik getting 8x05, since that episode is likely to have the big climactic battle, and about Nutter getting 8x01, since there's never a lot of action in the first episode of a season.

• 1 month later...

If they could get Sapochnik to basically every episode I'd be a very happy man. His sense of style and visuals can seemingly cover for any poor script writing. I think I'd watch anything he does at this moment. I think his lack of presence on last season really showed as there were zero standout episodes and the moments that you'd expect to lift the show due to their set piece action were pretty damn flat and disappointing. I'm sure he could have made the lake battle a touch more interesting to look at. 

Archived