Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

On 8/19/2018 at 8:30 AM, Newstar said:

D&D will go there if it’s GRRM’s endgame, and GRRM as far as I can tell has no problem with romances with significant age differences in ASOIAF and related stories. (Even the Targ backstories have their share of romances with significant age differences: Elaena/Alyn Velaryon were 30 years apart, Daemon/Nettles were 30 years apart, etc.) I don’t think SanSan is endgame, but the age difference has nothing to do with why I think that. 

Significant age differences between couples causes trouble. Look at Jon Arryn and Lysa Tully. 

On 8/24/2018 at 12:18 AM, jcmontea said:

weren't you on the whole Sansa will never end up with anyone train?

How did this road to Damascus event happen? 

Yeah, but I changed my mind. As one does.

Among other things, I realized that GRRM was planning on keeping Sansa and Tyrion married for the entire five years of the scrapped time jump.

On 8/25/2018 at 8:30 AM, Angel Eyes said:

Significant age differences between couples causes trouble. Look at Jon Arryn and Lysa Tully. 

GRRM doesn't consider 13 years a significant age difference: Dany/Drogo (17 years), Rhaegar/Lyanna (8 years), etc. Edmure is 8-15 years older than Roslin and they seemed happy enough. Jon and Lysa were closer to 50 years apart, which is significant, but 13 years? Nah.

New promo from HBO with three seconds of new S8 footage! It's Sansa hugging Jon in the Winterfell courtyard (1:10 of the video):

https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/status/1033881783949918208

3 hours ago, Newstar said:

GRRM doesn't consider 13 years a significant age difference: Dany/Drogo (17 years), Rhaegar/Lyanna (8 years), etc. Edmure is 8-15 years older than Roslin and they seemed happy enough. Jon and Lysa were closer to 50 years apart, which is significant, but 13 years? Nah.

New promo from HBO with three seconds of new S8 footage! It's Sansa hugging Jon in the Winterfell courtyard (1:10 of the video):

https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/status/1033881783949918208

I used the most egregious example of differences in age I could think of. As Jon and Lysa were in vastly different stages of life, they had vastly different emotional needs and Jon was a bit neglectful as a husband and father and judging by what Lysa did to him and the repercussions it had, it was a disaster. Tyrion and Sansa are about 20 years apart, and I would think that Sansa wouldn’t be interested in a man who was significantly her senior, given that she’s been subjected to Littlefinger’s behavior for a few seasons. It’s one of the reasons why I support a ship like Sansa and Podrick.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:55 AM, larastone said:

I agree tbh. No thanks lol. The romance scenes on GOT are bad/boring anyways. I’m not to worried though, HBO is slowly moving away from gratuitous sex scenes in their shows imo. Season 2 of Westworld only had 1 short sex scene. 

That might be because one of the showrunners is a woman. Most of the sex scenes on HBO are catered for a male audience, so I imagine that that will change should they start hiring more women. 

D&D love Tyrion, so I could see them making Sansa something of a "prize" for him (ugh) for being such a cool dude. That will definitely divide viewers, with casual fans probably being happy and critical fans viewing it as the final nail in the coffin.

There were a bunch of rumors a few months ago that Tyrion was going to betray Dany, but those seem to have died down.

For all the anti-Jonsa content there on the internet, people must really love the (familial) relationship between the two, since our first preview of season eight was the two of them hugging again. 

11 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

That might be because one of the showrunners is a woman. Most of the sex scenes on HBO are catered for a male audience, so I imagine that that will change should they start hiring more women. 

D&D love Tyrion, so I could see them making Sansa something of a "prize" for him (ugh) for being such a cool dude. That will definitely divide viewers, with casual fans probably being happy and critical fans viewing it as the final nail in the coffin.

There were a bunch of rumors a few months ago that Tyrion was going to betray Dany, but those seem to have died down.

For all the anti-Jonsa content there on the internet, people must really love the (familial) relationship between the two, since our first preview of season eight was the two of them hugging again. 

I keep telling people that Jon and Sansa will be the future King and Queen of Westeros and this is all set and done. Thats why D&D put so much effort on their relationship, thats  why their reuniting scene was so moving, thats why the show made sure to model their looks and wardrobe on Cat and Ned. 

It was Jon and Sansa that united defeated the Boltons and took back Winterfell; it was with Sansa by his side that Jon was named King in the North; it was in a sweet Jonsa scene that winter was announced to the audience (a momment we all have been waiting since season and book 1); It was Jon who went looking for allies in the south to fight the NK, while Sansa prepared the North for winter and for the wars. They are a very great fit for king and queen. One os the unifying leader, the other the political diplomat. 

In season 6, another very important moment happened when Jon and Sansa traveled around the North, asking for help and support of the Northern Houses to take back Winterfell, that was a momment of humility and respect from both of them. In contrast, we have Daenerys and Cersei in season 7, sitting their butts seated on their Thrones, sending ravens all around the 7 kingdoms, demaning the Lords to proclaim them as the rightful queens.

I dont think Tyrion will have a happy ending to be honest, his character just keeps making one mistake after the other. 

3 hours ago, prettylongclaw said:

I keep telling people that Jon and Sansa will be the future King and Queen of Westeros and this is all set and done. Thats why D&D put so much effort on their relationship

Sansa is my second favorite tv show character after Jaime, but D&D put so much effort on their relationship because they murdered book Stannis and had to fill in some time.  Also, gross.  I don't want Sansa to settle for Tyrion, but I really don't want her to end up with her step-brother who has a crush on his aunt.

21 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Sansa is my second favorite tv show character after Jaime, but D&D put so much effort on their relationship because they murdered book Stannis and had to fill in some time.  Also, gross.  I don't want Sansa to settle for Tyrion, but I really don't want her to end up with her step-brother who has a crush on his aunt.

I totally get it your reaction but George always had plans for Jon to end up with a Stark girl and in the first outline Arya would escape Kings Landing and reunite with Jon at the wall, where they would spent lots of times together and fall in love; their love would cause tension and conflict util the parental reveal, thats pretty much  Sansa storyline now. ALso Jon and Sansa fit like a glove the ending of the War of the Roses; Sansa is Elizabeth of York, who was used all her life for marriage alliances and Jon is King Henry, the rightful heir who showed uo last minute and ending up getting the Throne. 

Game of Thrones : Its the dragons that we married and the dragons are all dead.

Littlefinger season 5: marrying his son to the last of the Starks, gives him more legitimacy in the North than any alliance with a hated southern House.

The North independence has been a subject since book 1, it will be played again in season 8 and I dont believe the North will bend the knee again and be conquered;  I think they will re enter the kingdom with a marriage alliance, just like Dorne did in the past. 

The marriage  of the last Targaryen heir with the oldest daughter of Ned Stark would unite North and South again and finally bring peace to the realm. 

10 hours ago, prettylongclaw said:

I totally get it your reaction but George always had plans for Jon to end up with a Stark girl and in the first outline Arya would escape Kings Landing and reunite with Jon at the wall, where they would spent lots of times together and fall in love; their love would cause tension and conflict util the parental reveal, thats pretty much  Sansa storyline now. ALso Jon and Sansa fit like a glove the ending of the War of the Roses; Sansa is Elizabeth of York, who was used all her life for marriage alliances and Jon is King Henry, the rightful heir who showed uo last minute and ending up getting the Throne. 

Game of Thrones : Its the dragons that we married and the dragons are all dead.

Littlefinger season 5: marrying his son to the last of the Starks, gives him more legitimacy in the North than any alliance with a hated southern House.

The North independence has been a subject since book 1, it will be played again in season 8 and I dont believe the North will bend the knee again and be conquered;  I think they will re enter the kingdom with a marriage alliance, just like Dorne did in the past. 

The marriage  of the last Targaryen heir with the oldest daughter of Ned Stark would unite North and South again and finally bring peace to the realm. 

Isn't the north going to have issues with Jon bending the knee to Dany? Since Jon is KOTN, the north has technically bent the knee...

The show, IMO, killed off too many characters too fast and the non "main characters" they have no idea what to do with. So much time has now to be filled by the same ... what ... 6 characters? They now have to make these Jon Sansa "romances" because there is really no one else, same with Dany. I know there are arguments that Jon and Dany will end up together in the books but as far as the show goes, there are like 4 main females left, and Jon is related to 3 of them... though has a romance with one of the people he doesn't know yet he is related to.

I am not including Brianne anymore since literally last season her entire job was to look left and look right when people were talking in Winterfell. 

But who knows, you may absolutely be right that Jon and Sansa become a thing, it wouldn't be that surprising to be honest.

Frikidoctor just posted on Twitter an ad for a T-shirt saying "Choose Your Own Ending (...) Spoiling Is Not a Crime" depicting four possible endings to GOT, with a message saying that he is almost sure that the ending to GOT is on the shirt (details next week, apparently). These are the endings:

1. NK wins

2. Jon and Dany are king and queen, Tyrion dies

3. Dany is queen, Jon dies

4. Tyrion is king, Jon and Dany die

There's no ending where Jon rules without Dany, LOL. It's either Jon/Dany or bust. 

Nor is there any ending where both Jon and Tyrion survive.

Frikidoctor also said in the comments sections that Dany doesn't die in childbirth.

On a more somber note, if Frikidoctor is right, at least one of Jon/Dany/Tyrion will die.

14 minutes ago, Newstar said:

Frikidoctor just posted on Twitter an ad for a T-shirt saying "Choose Your Own Ending (...) Spoiling Is Not a Crime" depicting four possible endings to GOT, with a message saying that he is almost sure that the ending to GOT is on the shirt (details next week, apparently). These are the endings:

1. NK wins

There's no ending where Jon rules without Dany, LOL. It's either Jon/Dany or bust. 

Frikidoctor also said in the comments sections that Dany doesn't die in childbirth.

On a more somber note, if Frikidoctor is right, at least one of Jon/Dany/Tyrion will die.

ugh.

1) Nk won't win, so that's out.

2) GRRM won't kill Tyrion, so that's out.

3) Could be.

4) Could be.

*All of these endings suck as far as I am concerned.

15 minutes ago, Newstar said:

1. NK wins

I saw this. Pretty interesting to be honest. 

I have a hard time imagining Tyrion rising to Kingship in Westsros.

So would guess 2 and 3 as being the most likely.

16 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I saw this. Pretty interesting to be honest. 

I have a hard time imagining Tyrion rising to Kingship in Westsros.

So would guess 2 and 3 as being the most likely.

#3 seems most likely to me--Jon's already a dead man walking, after all--but #2 is also plausible.

At least Jon won't get the throne while Dany dies. (No Jonsa, either. Sorry, @prettylongclaw)

For what it's worth, Frikidoctor's endgame theory right after S7 aired led to the #3 outcome, just based on his own speculation. So the question is whether he still believes in #3 and now has something more substantial to support that theory, or whether he has changed his mind to #2 or #4 in light of information he has received. Either way, he's implying he has information on which he's basing his near-certainty that the endgame is one of those four options (well, three options, since the NK winning all is highly unlikely). I guess we'll find out next week whether he's just stringing us along.

20 minutes ago, Newstar said:

#3 seems most likely to me--Jon's already a dead man walking, after all--but #2 is also plausible.

At least Jon won't get the throne while Dany dies. (No Jonsa, either. Sorry, @prettylongclaw)

For what it's worth, Frikidoctor's endgame theory right after S7 aired led to the #3 outcome, just based on his own speculation. So the question is whether he still believes in #3 and now has something more substantial to support that theory, or whether he has changed his mind to #2 or #4 in light of information he has received. Either way, he's implying he has information on which he's basing his near-certainty that the endgame is one of those four options (well, three options, since the NK winning all is highly unlikely). I guess we'll find out next week whether he's just stringing us along.

Javi Marcos tweeted a while ago that he knows the ending. 

What are the odds Javi knows but Friki can’t fin out?

2 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Javi Marcos tweeted a while ago that he knows the ending. 

What are the odds Javi knows but Friki can’t fin out?

Well, Friki and Javi presumably have different sources. The real question is "What are the odds that Javi knows the ending and refuses to tell Friki?" 

And if Javi already told Friki the ending, why would he say he was almost sure of the ending? Wouldn't he be 100% sure? I suppose there's always the possibility that Javi's source lied to Javi. It seems more likely that Friki got some pieces of information which, when he put it all together, pointed almost definitively to a single outcome.

1 minute ago, Newstar said:

Well, Friki and Javi presumably have different sources. The real question is "What are the odds that Javi knows the ending and refuses to tell Friki?" 

And if Javi already told Friki the ending, why would he say he was almost sure of the ending? Wouldn't he be 100% sure? I suppose there's always the possibility that Javi's source lied to Javi. It seems more likely that Friki got some pieces of information which, when he put it all together, pointed almost definitively to a single outcome.

Javi could have just told him and said make it look like you did not get it from me. 

Either way though, looking forward to thst video. 

At the very least, Friki is doing a good job of creating hype

3 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

Javi could have just told him and said make it look like you did not get it from me. 

Either way though, looking forward to thst video. 

At the very least, Friki is doing a good job of creating hype

I think Frikidoctor must be pretty confident in his information, since he stated definitively that Dany wouldn't die in childbirth (implying that he knows what happens to her).

When someone asked him why can't Dany reign while Jon and Tyrion die, he said it would be too bitter, so by that logic, one would imagine Jonerys dying to be too bitter as well, which would seem to eliminate #4 and bring us back to #2 or #3.

I agree that it's fantastic hype, but all he needed to do was say that he's almost sure about the ending and that he'd be putting out a video next week about it, since that itself would be enough to get fans to have a fit. It is nice knowing what the options are (or at least what he claims the options are), even if two of them (#1 and #4) seem patently unrealistic.

1 hour ago, Newstar said:

1. NK wins

I feel like I am reliving Season 7 again with something that I hope is not true, because it seems stupid and there is no way it would happen, yet it will...

1. No way, just wouldn't make sense.

2. Maybe this is why they played the St. Tyrion card so hard. To make people REALLY love Tyrion, so when they killed him, it would mean so much more?

3. The issue I have is the Dany symbolism in season 2 would make no sense then. She gets so close to the throne without touching it. That foreshadowing would literally be there as a psyche, which would be stupid. 

4. I could see Jon and Dany dying, but Tyrion as king? I just can't see it happening.

I don't want the ending, but I could see it being No. 2.
Though I really thought Jon and Dany would die (but I can't see Tyrion ruling). 
On the other hand if Jon dies again and Dany is queen (as the No. 3 ending), I may lose my shit. If she rules as a mad queen, I could see it a bit more. But still...

Archived