Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

It was reported yesterday that Iain Glen (Jorah) made an interesting comment in an interview with Express.co.uk regarding the finale of season 8. He reported that the directors will include a "Bombshell" in the finale. While this is highly non-specific and in-line with comments made by other cast member he then was asked whom he personally wanted to see on the Iron Throne at the end of the show. He whispered in response: "Daenerys" (probably not too surprising  for him to say and in line with what many people believe and/or hope for). But then he added what seems to be somewhat of a tease statement: "but you may be surprised by the obvious". I realize this doesn't say a whole lot but it is a little interesting.    

It seems with Iain/ Emilia/Peter/Sophie/etc all dropping "spoilers" or teases about the ending. Some seemingly contradict against other things we have heard, some of it agrees, at this point, anything an actor says I almost consider it them just trolling us.

3 hours ago, btfu806 said:

It seems with Iain/ Emilia/Peter/Sophie/etc all dropping "spoilers" or teases about the ending. Some seemingly contradict against other things we have heard, some of it agrees, at this point, anything an actor says  I almost consider it them just trolling us.

I generally would agree with your assessment. However, IMHO, the interview Emelia gave in Vanity Fair on 5/23/18 may be a little more genuine. I'm sure you are aware of its contents so I won't repeat them here but overall they do relate to Emilia's feelings while filming Daenerys' last scene in the show (the last time we will see her persona in the show) and they seemed to have a less than glorious content to them. Emelia has always been an outspoken critic of leakers and for her to say things to intentionally mislead fans would, IMHO, be out of personal character for her (as compared to some of the other cast members who have a history of giving false information in the past). Also I find it interesting that in all her interviews since this one she has not repeated the comments but rather has just toed the line with her comments being in line with the rather general comments other cast members have been making  (i.e. surprising, unexpected, divisive, epic, etc.). She had given the interview shortly after filming her last scene so I would expect her feelings about it were very fresh on her mind. She also was reported to be somewhat emotionally distraught while making the comments  (trailing off at the end) and they were not made in a joking manner (like you might expect to be made in a daytime or late night talk show). IMHO the comments also would be fairly consistent with the foreshadowing's of Daenerys' fate throughout the seasons. Just my opinion. We shall see.   

4 hours ago, DisneyDoc2425 said:

Emelia has always been an outspoken critic of leakers and for her to say things to intentionally mislead fans would, IMHO, be out of personal character for her

Of course she would, she's done it before.  For example, last season she implied that Daenerys wouldn't be getting a romantic partner, but it turned out she did.

It lead to headlines such as this

5 hours ago, DisneyDoc2425 said:

Also I find it interesting that in all her interviews since this one she has not repeated the comments

She has, she was asked the same question in Good Morning America.  She gave the same answer about it being heartbreaking and about her being an emotional mess, but as with the Vanity Fair interview, it is always in the context of what it was like for her to film it.

https://youtu.be/MA9Y2oK_RQ0?t=268

7 hours ago, TheSlayerofLies said:

Of course she would, she's done it before.  For example, last season she implied that Daenerys wouldn't be getting a romantic partner, but it turned out she did.

It lead to headlines such as this

She has, she was asked the same question in Good Morning America.  She gave the same answer about it being heartbreaking and about her being an emotional mess, but as with the Vanity Fair interview, it is always in the context of what it was like for her to film it.

https://youtu.be/MA9Y2oK_RQ0?t=268

I believe the comments you cited are really not definitive and leave a lot of wiggle room. I heard her comments on GMA and its true they relate to how she was feeling herself about filming the last scene, The comments she made in the Vanity Fair article where specifically related to how she was feeling regarding her character in her last scene, not her own personal feelings about filming the scene. Her comments were "It fucked me up. Knowing that is going to leave a lasting flavor in someone's mouth of what Daenerys  is". So she was talking about her character's actions and her feelings about them.   She also stated that the directors had her doing a lot of "weird shit". When asked if we were likely to see a more "lighthearted" Daenerys in season 8 she said "no". I realize that  these latter two things are also not definitive and leave a lot of wiggle room but IMHO if you combine all of these together it tends to point to a less than glorious outcome for her character. Again just my opinion. Perhaps we can agree to disagree. We shall see what happens. 

6 hours ago, Timm said:

I think Dany will go full Mad King crazy when the White Walkers get to Kings Landing and she will just burn everything and everyone.

It's been a thing for GRRM to tell some of the main story through side stories in another timeline.

Reengineering this approach, Game of Thrones may turn out to be the story of Aegon the Conqueror fleshed out through Daenerys.

13 hours ago, DisneyDoc2425 said:

I believe the comments you cited are really not definitive and leave a lot of wiggle room. I heard her comments on GMA and its true they relate to how she was feeling herself about filming the last scene, The comments she made in the Vanity Fair article where specifically related to how she was feeling regarding her character in her last scene, not her own personal feelings about filming the scene. Her comments were "It fucked me up. Knowing that is going to leave a lasting flavor in someone's mouth of what Daenerys  is". So she was talking about her character's actions and her feelings about them.   She also stated that the directors had her doing a lot of "weird shit". When asked if we were likely to see a more "lighthearted" Daenerys in season 8 she said "no". I realize that  these latter two things are also not definitive and leave a lot of wiggle room but IMHO if you combine all of these together it tends to point to a less than glorious outcome for her character. Again just my opinion. Perhaps we can agree to disagree. We shall see what happens. 

Which interview did she say this in?  I don't see it in the Vanity Fair one. 

On 10/8/2018 at 11:11 AM, btfu806 said:

It seems with Iain/ Emilia/Peter/Sophie/etc all dropping "spoilers" or teases about the ending. Some seemingly contradict against other things we have heard, some of it agrees, at this point, anything an actor says I almost consider it them just trolling us.

This. 

Sophie did a Q&A at New York Comicon last Saturday. A Sansa fan (Naughtysansa) was in attendance and live tweeted the event, and, since reporters were in attendance, a number of articles were published regarding Sophie's comments from the event, more or less reflecting what Naughtysansa had posted on Twitter during the event, with one very big exception:

Naughtysansa tweeted that Sophie said that "Sansa will have a statue at the end of GOT." According to Naughtysansa's Tumblr recap, Sophie mentioned the statue in the context of talking about which memento she took home from the set. She wanted to take the statue but it would be too difficult to ship home, and she wanted to take the "needle" necklace but it was going to be used in an exhibit for the show so she couldn't, so she settled on a corset instead. Sophie also said that the statue bore an incredible likeness to her.

Sophie said after making the statue comment that she didn't consider it a spoiler and that it wasn't affecting anything significant, but according to Naughtysansa she was talking very quickly when she was saying this. Hmm.

So various media articles were published which covered Sophie's other comments: the storyboard she got as a gift, smoking weed with Maisie, her feelings about the end of the show, Kit and Maisie keeping the swords as mementos, etc. A few mentioned the corset. One even mentioned the needle necklace that Sophie wanted to keep. None of the media articles--and we're talking half a dozen or more--mentioned the statue, even the article which had as a subject which prop Sophie took home from the set.

It would be one thing if we knew there was an 50 year timejump for the epilogue, but according to /BoatsexBaby, this isn't the case. (There is an epilogue set some time in the future, but not 50 years.) Sophie also said the statue bore an incredible likeness to her, meaning it's not a statue of old Sansa.

The only statues of Starks on the show are dead Starks, and the only reason not a single media outlet would mention the statue, despite reporting Sophie's other comments, is that HBO asked them not to, which means the fact that Sansa gets a statue at the end is a huge fucking spoiler.

Sansa dies.

(And Friki's wrong, BTW, since according to him a live Sansa is in attendance at Tyrion's postwar trial, but that "leak" was always full of holes.)

After Joffrey dies supposedly at Tyrion’s and Sansa’s hands and with the help with Sansa’s hairnet, we have this.

ASOS Sansa V

A good heart. I have a good heart. Hysterical laughter rose up her gullet, but Sansa choked it back down. The bells were ringing, slow and mournful. Ringing, ringing, ringing. They had rung for King Robert the same way. Joffrey was dead, he was dead, he was dead, dead, dead. Why was she crying, when she wanted to dance? Were they tears of joy?

She found her clothes where she had hidden them, the night before last. With no maids to help her, it took her longer than it should have to undo the laces of her gown. Her hands were strangely clumsy, though she was not as frightened as she ought to have been. "The gods are cruel to take him so young and handsome, at his own wedding feast," Lady Tanda had said to her.

The gods are just, thought Sansa. Robb had died at a wedding feast as well. It was Robb she wept for. Him and Margaery. Poor Margaery, twice wed and twice widowed. Sansa slid her arm from a sleeve, pushed down the gown, and wriggled out of it. She balled it up and shoved it into the bole of an oak, shook out the clothing she had hidden there. Dress warmly, Ser Dontos had told her, and dress dark. She had no blacks, so she chose a dress of thick brown wool. The bodice was decorated with freshwater pearls, though. The cloak will cover them. The cloak was a deep green, with a large hood. She slipped the dress over her head, and donned the cloak, though she left the hood down for the moment. There were shoes as well, simple and sturdy, with flat heels and square toes. The gods heard my prayer, she thought. She felt so numb and dreamy. My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel. Her hands moved stiffly, awkwardly, as if they had never let down her hair before. For a moment she wished Shae was there, to help her with the net.

When she pulled it free, her long auburn hair cascaded down her back and across her shoulders. The web of spun silver hung from her fingers, the fine metal glimmering softly, the stones black in the moonlight. Black amethysts from Asshai. One of them was missing. Sansa lifted the net for a closer look. There was a dark smudge in the silver socket where the stone had fallen out.

A sudden terror filled her. Her heart hammered against her ribs, and for an instant she held her breath. Why am I so scared, it's only an amethyst, a black amethyst from Asshai, no more than that. It must have been loose in the setting, that's all. It was loose and it fell out, and now it's lying somewhere in the throne room, or in the yard, unless . . .

Ser Dontos had said the hair net was magic, that it would take her home. He told her she must wear it tonight at Joffrey's wedding feast. The silver wire stretched tight across her knuckles. Her thumb rubbed back and forth against the hole where the stone had been. She tried to stop, but her fingers were not her own. Her thumb was drawn to the hole as the tongue is drawn to a missing tooth. What kind of magic? The king was dead, the cruel king who had been her gallant prince a thousand years ago. If Dontos had lied about the hair net, had he lied about the rest as well? What if he never comes? What if there is no ship, no boat on the river, no escape? What would happen to her then?

She heard a faint rustle of leaves, and stuffed the silver hair net down deep in the pocket of her cloak. "Who's there?" she cried. "Who is it?" The godswood was dim and dark, and the bells were ringing Joff into his grave.

Sansa turns to stone and becomes a Shrouded Lord, Prince(ss) of Sorrows figure.

19 hours ago, Newstar said:

Sophie did a Q&A at New York Comicon last Saturday. A Sansa fan (Naughtysansa) was in attendance and live tweeted the event, and, since reporters were in attendance, a number of articles were published regarding Sophie's comments from the event, more or less reflecting what Naughtysansa had posted on Twitter during the event, with one very big exception:

Naughtysansa tweeted that Sophie said that "Sansa will have a statue at the end of GOT."

[..]

Sansa dies.

Someone must commission that statue, which implies that Jon, Bran or Arya will make it to that point at least.

I don't think that Jon and Bran will survive the End Of Magic, which would make Arya pretty much #laststarkstanding

4 hours ago, Timm said:

Someone must commission that statue, which implies that Jon, Bran or Arya will make it to that point at least.

I don't think that Jon and Bran will survive the End Of Magic, which would make Arya pretty much #laststarkstanding

Didn't Maisie post her bloody sneakers tagged #lastwomanstanding ?

On 10/12/2018 at 8:43 AM, Timm said:

If Sansa were to be queen, would she get a statue then, while still alive?

On 10/11/2018 at 9:49 AM, Newstar said:

Naughtysansa tweeted that Sophie said that "Sansa will have a statue at the end of GOT." According to Naughtysansa's Tumblr recap, Sophie mentioned the statue in the context of talking about which memento she took home from the set. She wanted to take the statue but it would be too difficult to ship home, and she wanted to take the "needle" necklace but it was going to be used in an exhibit for the show so she couldn't, so she settled on a corset instead. Sophie also said that the statue bore an incredible likeness to her.

Sophie said after making the statue comment that she didn't consider it a spoiler and that it wasn't affecting anything significant, but according to Naughtysansa she was talking very quickly when she was saying this. Hmm.

So various media articles were published which covered Sophie's other comments: the storyboard she got as a gift, smoking weed with Maisie, her feelings about the end of the show, Kit and Maisie keeping the swords as mementos, etc. A few mentioned the corset. One even mentioned the needle necklace that Sophie wanted to keep. None of the media articles--and we're talking half a dozen or more--mentioned the statue, even the article which had as a subject which prop Sophie took home from the set.

It would be one thing if we knew there was an 50 year timejump for the epilogue, but according to /BoatsexBaby, this isn't the case. (There is an epilogue set some time in the future, but not 50 years.) Sophie also said the statue bore an incredible likeness to her, meaning it's not a statue of old Sansa.

The only statues of Starks on the show are dead Starks, and the only reason not a single media outlet would mention the statue, despite reporting Sophie's other comments, is that HBO asked them not to, which means the fact that Sansa gets a statue at the end is a huge fucking spoiler.

Sansa dies.

(And Friki's wrong, BTW, since according to him a live Sansa is in attendance at Tyrion's postwar trial, but that "leak" was always full of holes.)

I know you really really want Sansa to die. But not only Friki confirmed she was alived by the end of the story (and she filmed scenes for the last episode) but also the show implied several times that Sansa not only will live long but also do something important in her life. 

S2E4- Tyrion saves Sansa from Jofrey abuse and replies : "Lady Stark, you may survives us yet....."

S6E8 - We have a scene with Brienne and Jaime talking about Sansa. 

Jaime: In my experience girls like her dont live very long..

Brienne: I dont think you know many girls like her

S6E10 - Littlefinger to Sansa "You, my love, are the future of House Stark" (this line heavily imply that Sansa will be the one having children and passing along the Stark name, which makes sense since marriage and producing heirs has been a theme in her story arc since the pilot episode)

S7E4 - Sansa and Arya are reunited: 

Arya: "But our stories are not over yet"

Sansa "No, they are not"

I ussualy am acussed to use my ideas as facts, but the show has been telling us, since season 2 that Sansa will survive many of the characters. I am not surprised Sansa has a statue, in fact I was expecting this. I am pretty sure she will be queen. After all the wars and destruction Westeros will need people who actually uses diplomacy to solve conflicts. 

Sansa on season 7: 

Winterfell didn't just fall into our hands. We took it back, and the Mormonts and the Hornwoods and the wildlings and the Vale. All of us, working together. Now, I'm sure cutting off heads is very satisfying, but that's not the way you get people to work together.

Cersei wants to explode people around and Daenerys literally told the Lannister army, join my team or die burned alived. Those are not options to build a new world. Those are literally lessons from the past. Westeros needs people like Sansa, Jaime, Jon. Real rulers who want peace and rebuild instead of more destruction.

BTW, I never tought Sansa would be the queen, I thought Dany would mature into a wise ruler, it was literally season 7 that made me realize that it was Sansa who actually grow up and became a wise queen, while Dany turned into a spoiled brat, who thinks its ok to burn strangers alive if they refuse to bend the knee and proclaim her to be queen. I mean, what a difference from the sweet girl from season 1. 

9 hours ago, prettylongclaw said:

I know you really really want Sansa to die. But not only Friki confirmed she was alived by the end of the story (and she filmed scenes for the last episode) but also the show implied several times that Sansa not only will live long but also do something important in her life. 

S2E4- Tyrion saves Sansa from Jofrey abuse and replies : "Lady Stark, you may survives us yet....."

S6E8 - We have a scene with Brienne and Jaime talking about Sansa. 

Jaime: In my experience girls like her dont live very long..

Brienne: I dont think you know many girls like her

S6E10 - Littlefinger to Sansa "You, my love, are the future of House Stark" (this line heavily imply that Sansa will be the one having children and passing along the Stark name, which makes sense since marriage and producing heirs has been a theme in her story arc since the pilot episode)

S7E4 - Sansa and Arya are reunited: 

Arya: "But our stories are not over yet"

Sansa "No, they are not"

I ussualy am acussed to use my ideas as facts, but the show has been telling us, since season 2 that Sansa will survive many of the characters. I am not surprised Sansa has a statue, in fact I was expecting this. I am pretty sure she will be queen. After all the wars and destruction Westeros will need people who actually uses diplomacy to solve conflicts. 

Sansa on season 7: 

Winterfell didn't just fall into our hands. We took it back, and the Mormonts and the Hornwoods and the wildlings and the Vale. All of us, working together. Now, I'm sure cutting off heads is very satisfying, but that's not the way you get people to work together.

Cersei wants to explode people around and Daenerys literally told the Lannister army, join my team or die burned alived. Those are not options to build a new world. Those are literally lessons from the past. Westeros needs people like Sansa, Jaime, Jon. Real rulers who want peace and rebuild instead of more destruction.

BTW, I never tought Sansa would be the queen, I thought Dany would mature into a wise ruler, it was literally season 7 that made me realize that it was Sansa who actually grow up and became a wise queen, while Dany turned into a spoiled brat, who thinks its ok to burn strangers alive if they refuse to bend the knee and proclaim her to be queen. I mean, what a difference from the sweet girl from season 1. 

Absolutely nothing you just wrote discounts what you're actually replying to. 

Archived