Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

2 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I understand that is your opinion and respect it. 

But the sense I get from reading reviews and just overall discussion of the show is that Cersei is actually seen as one of the shows strengths due to the actresss and character arc. 

Also, this idea that she would have a problem because of burning the sept I don’t think is really supported by the source material. 

Maegor burns down the sept in his day and no one in KL does anything or rises up in revolt. The people of Kl kill the dragons during the dance and then a year later are cheering Rhaena Targaryen as she flies over the city with her dragons. Revolts seem fundamentally random and the small folk completley fickle in both show and books. 

The faith would always start a campaign against her like they did with maegor for example.

And while I agree that the actress became one of the strenghts of the show the character has fullfiled her story and should have been killed

5 hours ago, divica said:

The faith would always start a campaign against her like they did with maegor for example.

And while I agree that the actress became one of the strenghts of the show the character has fullfiled her story and should have been killed

Would they? Rogar and Alicent were certain the faith was going to revolt at J&A’s marriage and they did not. 

Not sure the character has fullfilled her story. She had a great story in season 6 and another good one in season 7. And I am sure her story in 8 will also be good.

15 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I prefer "Aegon" to Cersei. The idea of the heroes fighting each other appeals to me

much more than the good guys trying to fight the evil queen.

Then George should have included Aegon from Book one. Introducing a character as a main character that could be only build up and fleshed out only from season six is a ridicoulous idea. The antagonist must be introduced just at the same moment as the hero. Otherwise the story becomes a video game, where you constantly introduce characters who are stronger than the previous one. 

On 12/14/2018 at 2:03 PM, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I prefer "Aegon" to Cersei. The idea of the heroes fighting each other appeals to me

much more than the good guys trying to fight the evil queen.

What makes Aegon a hero? He is not a point of view character and he is more pawn than player. 

On 12/15/2018 at 5:53 AM, T and A said:

Then George should have included Aegon from Book one. Introducing a character as a main character that could be only build up and fleshed out only from season six is a ridicoulous idea. The antagonist must be introduced just at the same moment as the hero. Otherwise the story becomes a video game, where you constantly introduce characters who are stronger than the previous one. 

No, they don't. Was Ramsay introduced the same time as Jon? Nah.

Was Euron introduced at the same time as Daenerys? Nah.

Anyways, he would've been fleshed out from season 5 not 6 but the show could've introduced him way earlier if they wanted to.

22 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Good intentions and not being malicious. 

He's a bright but normal kid. Not a monster unlike Cersei.

The only reason we'd root against "Aegon" is because he's not a main character.

He seems to be a pawn of monsters, particularly if he is not Aegon Targaryen Martell as seems all but likely. 

After journeying through Freefolk for a few hours, it seems like we don't really have any good spoilers this year. With that said, I read through some quotes from the cast about their impression of the final season, and while we know that usually they just hype each season as the biggest, best one yet, I did find some of the interviews illuminating.

Despite people predicting Sansa's death for years now, Sophie's interviews all make it sound like she's making it out the series alive. She seems over the moon about the character's development, and judging by how much she clearly loves Sansa, that's a pretty big indicator that Sansa has some sort of happy ending, to me anyway.

Emilia and Peter praised the final season a lot, but they also seemed pretty morbid about their characters' arcs, which has me thinking things don't end particularly well for Dany or Tyrion. Compound that with all the quotes about how unpredictable the finale is, and I think we're going to be in for a bit of a surprise with them. (On a side note, there's definitely something curious about how George retconned Jaehaerys and Alysanne's children in Fire and Blood to include a daughter named Daenerys who dies of something called "the Shivers").

Apparently the paperwork from Nikolaj's lawsuit with his former agent revealed that he was paid for all six episodes this season, so it sounds like he'll probably be the Lannister who survives. 

Here are some of the links I took a look at:

https://www.gamesradar.com/game-of-thrones-ending/

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/game-of-thrones/game-of-thrones-season-8-finale-ending-plot-spoilers-cast-emilia-clarke-hbo-a8494781.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-season-8-spoilers-leak-lawsuit-jaime-lannister-nikolaj-coster-waldau-a8528761.html

13 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

No, they don't. Was Ramsay introduced the same time as Jon? Nah.

Was Euron introduced at the same time as Daenerys? Nah.

Anyways, he would've been fleshed out from season 5 not 6 but the show could've introduced him way earlier if they wanted to.

Ramsay was introduced in Season 3. Quite a time. And Euron is a joke in the show.

Yes you are right, S05 was possible. My bad...

I’m not sure we need fAegon in the books either? Theoretically, it’s possible to introduce as many new characters as author wishes, but I don’t think many of us would wish to wade again through all thirteen books of Wheel of time, for example. Personally, I don’t yearn for more characters in the show, but for more reason and logic. Let’s hope that in season 8 we can better understand why people do some of the things they do, and that we don’t have to watch people emerging from subzero waters and go happily on their way like they just had not so hot bath? 

14 hours ago, WeCameFromNorth said:

I’m not sure we need fAegon in the books either? Theoretically, it’s possible to introduce as many new characters as author wishes, but I don’t think many of us would wish to wade again through all thirteen books of Wheel of time, for example. Personally, I don’t yearn for more characters in the show, but for more reason and logic. Let’s hope that in season 8 we can better understand why people do some of the things they do, and that we don’t have to watch people emerging from subzero waters and go happily on their way like they just had not so hot bath? 

Well you don't just like you don't really need Cersei or Euron. 

"Aegon" is there primarily to make Daenerys look bad and introduce moral ambiguity to Dany's invasion. It's meant to be wasteful.

There's a quote from the Forsaken that really gets at it where the two dwarves(Aegon and Daenerys) are fighting and fucking each other while Euron and the shadow(the Others) are laughing at them.

The show tries to do that with Dany v Cersei but Cersei is an actual evil queen and all it does is make Cersei's supporters look hypocritical. It's pretty much Good versus Evil at that point so much so that the show has to force a conversation between Varys and Tyrion about how Daenerys could be taking after Aerys.

4 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

"Aegon" is there primarily to make Daenerys look bad and introduce moral ambiguity to Dany's invasion. It's meant to be wasteful.

There's a quote from the Forsaken that really gets at it where the two dwarves(Aegon and Daenerys) are fighting and fucking each other while Euron and the shadow(the Others) are laughing at them.

The show tries to do that with Dany v Cersei but Cersei is an actual evil queen and all it does is make Cersei's supporters look hypocritical. It's pretty much Good versus Evil at that point so much so that the show has to force a conversation between Varys and Tyrion about how Daenerys could be taking after Aerys.

That is a somewhat simplistic view of things. 

Cersei is an evil queen. So? Until she decides to turn her back on the threat of the white walkers, there is nothing she has done that would make a member of the small folk think it would be worth dying to get rid of this person in exchange for that other person. 

Cersei may be evil, but not sure she is so evil that it warrants the greater evil that is war. 

And it is that greater evil - war - that ultimstley paves the way for the walkers. 

Without Dany coming to Westeros and waging her war against Cersei, the NK does not get through that wall. 

On 12/19/2018 at 5:50 AM, jcmontea said:

That is a somewhat simplistic view of things. 

Cersei is an evil queen. So? Until she decides to turn her back on the threat of the white walkers, there is nothing she has done that would make a member of the small folk think it would be worth dying to get rid of this person in exchange for that other person. 

Cersei may be evil, but not sure she is so evil that it warrants the greater evil that is war. 

And it is that greater evil - war - that ultimstley paves the way for the walkers. 

Without Dany coming to Westeros and waging her war against Cersei, the NK does not get through that wall. 

I'm talking from the perspective of the nobility when I say Cersei's supporters.

The smallfolk hardly cares who rules as long as they're left alone. 

The Relive the Journey for the Throne (#FortheThrone) choices make sense.

Jon is getting thrown into the middle of it whether he likes it or not. Dany is angling for it. Cersei is angling for it. Tyrion has a vested interest in who sits the throne and who doesn't. Arya's very invested in Cersei not sitting the throne.

Bran's checked out. Sam isn't interested. Jaime walked away. Sansa had an awful time there and wants nothing to do with any of it, Brienne doesn't care so long as it's not Stannis, Varys is just an afterthought anymore, so on with the other major characters not included…

These look like the characters who care the most to have an impact on the Throne.

On December 19, 2018 at 1:35 AM, Lord_Ravenstone said:

You need Euron to provoke Jamie into killing Cersei.... I'd love it, if in a fit of rage at Jamie leaving her again, she rails at him something in the vein of, "I'm carrying Euron's child, and he's a better man and lover than you could ever hope to be..." Then goes on to say it's his fault she's going to blow up the city (echoes of Burn Them All), so he turns out to be the Valonqar.

You need Cersei because she's been set up up to be the final boss since the beginning. Plus logistically, they'll have to fight The Night King first.

3 hours ago, Lollygag said:

The Relive the Journey for the Throne (#FortheThrone) choices make sense.

Jon is getting thrown into the middle of it whether he likes it or not. Dany is angling for it. Cersei is angling for it. Tyrion has a vested interest in who sits the throne and who doesn't. Arya's very invested in Cersei not sitting the throne.

Bran's checked out. Sam isn't interested. Jaime walked away. Sansa had an awful time there and wants nothing to do with any of it, Brienne doesn't care so long as it's not Stannis, Varys is just an afterthought anymore, so on with the other major characters not included…

These look like the characters who care the most to have an impact on the Throne.

How much did Bran/Catelyn/Ned/Hodor care about the Throne when they were highlighted in the #FortheThrone marketing along with the already mentioned 5? 

On 12/31/2018 at 7:03 PM, a black swan said:

It also looks like HBO is done with the 'Relive the Journey' animations.  

Nov 14 - Tyrion

Nov 21 - Arya

Nov 28 - Cersei

Dec 5 - Dany

Dec 12 - Jon

These are the only ones they highlighted?! In preparation for S8... interesting.

Jon, Dan, Tyrion and Cersei have been the "main" characters these last seasons, sothat doesn't surprise me. If anything, it's very interesting that Arya is there as well..

Although, now I'm confused. Didn't Bran and Sansa also have their clips? 

Archived