Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

16 minutes ago, TheSlayerofLies said:

As far as I'm aware she has never been quoted saying her character leaving a "bad taste" in the audience, and there's definitely no audio of it.  The other quote about going out in "somewhat of daze" may be more telling, however, in some of her comments about Season 7 she genuinely sounded sad despite the worse thing to happen to her character being that she lost Viserion.  So again, it's difficult to tell without any sort of projecting.

The context in which the interviewer placed that quote in had to do with comedy/humor within Dany's character.  

She basically reiterated those same comments in her Good Morning America interview, but the context is more clear.

In the VF article she was quoted (when asked about her feelings about Daenerys' last scene) she responded "It fucked me up. Knowing that is going to leave a lasting flavor in someone's mouth about what Deanery is". She was not talking about her personal feelings as an actress in filming her last scene in the show. It was reported in the article that she made these comments with a dysphoric tone to her speech. I do agree that some people have interpreted this as leaving a "bad taste" in some people's (audience) mouth and she did not say that specifically.  However, I do believe that it is challenging to interpret her comments in an optimistic manner. 

I am aware of the context. Regardless, doing  "weird shit" is still doing "weird shit". 

Thanks for the GMA interview clip. My read on this interview content is that she was talking about her personal feelings as an actor about filming her last scene in the show, not about her feelings about what was happening to Daenerys in the scene. IMHO she was skillful in not directly answering the question but instead refocused it as I noted.  You could see it in the hesitation in the way she answered. But who knows.  

1 hour ago, DisneyDoc2425 said:

In the VF article she was quoted (when asked about her feelings about Daenerys' last scene) she responded "It fucked me up. Knowing that is going to leave a lasting flavor in someone's mouth about what Deanery is". She was not talking about her personal feelings as an actress in filming her last scene in the show. It was reported in the article that she made these comments with a dysphoric tone to her speech. I do agree that some people have interpreted this as leaving a "bad taste" in some people's (audience) mouth and she did not say that specifically.  However, I do believe that it is challenging to interpret her comments in an optimistic manner. 

It is unclear what the person conducting the interview asked.. The question that prompted Emilia's response is not in the cover story.  

Here's the entire paragraph and the following one

We still don’t know if, as many expect, Daenerys Targaryen will win the right to rule the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, but we can be assured that Emilia Clarke will hang up her platinum wig for good when Game of Thrones ends its eight-season run, in 2019. There’s still a lot of filming and post-production work to be done, but Clarke has already shot her character’s final on-screen moments. “It fucked me up,” she says. “Knowing that is going to be a lasting flavor in someone’s mouth of what Daenerys is . . .”

Clarke has good reason to feel unsettled. Letting go of a culture-defining television role can be liberating, to be sure, but it can also be deflating—or worse. Jon Hamm may always be seen as Don Draper; Sarah Michelle Gellar is forever Buffy the Vampire Slayer; Jennifer Aniston will never notbe Rachel. Fortunately, Clarke approaches this pivotal transition with a stubborn insistence on behaving like a normal, grounded human being. And her upcoming credits suggest that she’s greatly in demand beyond Westeros.

I just don't see any definitive way to be able to tell what she meant.  And the reason I brought up the GMA clip is exactly because she's directly asked specifically about her feelings about Daenerys' final scene, but as you state, she skillfully avoids that question, and instead answers with how it felt to film it.  Thus far she has not given anything away.

46 minutes ago, DisneyDoc2425 said:

Season 8 starts April 14. New 1 1/2 minute teaser is out showing Jon, Sansa, and Ayra in Winterfell Crypts viewing their statutes. 

Thanks for posting.  Just saw the teaser, it seems very similar to last years with Jon, Daenerys, and Cersei.

7 minutes ago, TheSlayerofLies said:

It is unclear what the person conducting the interview asked.. The question that prompted Emilia's response is not in the cover story.  

Here's the entire paragraph and the following one

I just don't see any definitive way to be able to tell what she meant.  And the reason I brought up the GMA clip is exactly because she's directly asked specifically about her feelings about Daenerys' final scene, but as you state, she skillfully avoids that question, and instead answers with how it felt to film it.  Thus far she has not given anything away.

Thanks for posting.  Just saw the teaser, it seems very similar to last years with Jon, Daenerys, and Cersei.

Perhaps we can agree to disagree. IMHO whatever the specific question was, Emelia was talking about her feelings regarding the last scene Daenerys will be in in the show. If you combine the statement with Emelia's reported dysphoric demeanor while saying it I still feel it has some degree of significance. I see the her GMA comments  in an opposite manner compared to your view.    

32 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Why would the 'lasting flavor' 'fuck her up' unless it's bad or depressing somehow?  She doesn't spell it out, but I have a hard time reading that quote and not seeing it as her saying that 'lasting flavor' is negative.

I'm not claiming it isn't bad nor depressing. I'm simply questioning what it is Emilia meant by it.  Is it sad/depressing because she's afraid about how Daenerys' ending will be received plot-wise? Or is it sad/depressing because she's trying to do the character justice acting-wise and this will be the last anyone sees of said character so she doesn't want to disappoint?

In which case this quote would be relevant..

"Oh God, I get sleepless nights over it. 'Oh, you're gonna mess it up. It's the last season, and it's going to go wrong.' My mates are like, 'It's you—you [and Daenerys] are one and the same now. You need to trust your instincts!' And I'm like, 'No, I've got to do more research!' The higher everyone places the mantle, the bigger the fall. That sounds really awful, but it's true! I don't want to disappoint anyone, basically."

So yes, the quote isn't anything "positive" but the context is unclear.  From everything I've seen thus far, she's only answered that question in the context of what it was like to film those final scenes, nothing about the scenes themselves.  She has, however, implied that some of her favorites scenes may be in the coming season.  So we'll see,  I guess.

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm not big into trailers, but that one was interesting

Most interesting thing for me was that there was no Bran.  That may simply be because it would have been awkward to shoot it well because of his disability or it may have been deliberate.  Especially if the promo was really subtle (unlikely!) and Bran was represented by the freezing mist.....

44 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

My guess is that they left Bran out because it would have complicated the shot and also because the show has not been very interested in Bran's journey after he left Winterfell, IMO.  I doubt there is anything symbolic in his absence.

What do you make of Jon's statue seemingly being older?  Do you think that was intentional or just a bad statue?

If he outlives the story then it completely blows my theory away that when the Others are finally defeated and the Dragons die all magic goes out of the world and re-animated Jon drops down dead as a result!

5 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

What do you make of Jon's statue seemingly being older?  Do you think that was intentional or just a bad statue?

If he outlives the story then it completely blows my theory away that when the Others are finally defeated and the Dragons die all magic goes out of the world and re-animated Jon drops down dead as a result!

I thought it was a bad statue, I'll  have to look again to see if he looks older.  I do agree that magic is going to go out of the world at the end of the series, hmm, I guess that would mean that Jon would have to die because he's only animated by magic now.....is it possible all three of the main protagonists, Jon, Dany and Tyrion die? How is that bittersweet?  

ETA...just watched it again and still can't tell, didn't think any of the 3 statues were that great.

Do you think the feather has any significance? 

Jon's statue is not too old. All 3 are just badly done. I believe this is not real footage from the series. But something, not too expensive, they did for the trailer.

I don't feel this trailer is telling much we don't know already. Contrary to Sansa "welcoming" Daenerys scene.

It would be a reasonable take away that something important is in or happens in the crypts, I know it all could mean nothing, as the show often does things that lead nowhere, but it would be somewhat grounded speculation to think that maybe there has been something to the idea of the crypts being a plot point somehow.

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It would be a reasonable take away that something important is in or happens in the crypts, I know it all could mean nothing, as the show often does things that lead nowhere, but it would be somewhat grounded speculation to think that maybe there has been something to the idea of the crypts being a plot point somehow.

There's plenty of suppositions concerning Winterfell's crypts. IMO they are something like Bloodaven's cavern. Except maybe this one magical protection still stands. Maybe how people will survive the WW attack.

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I don't know nothing but hope for something like this:

Winterfell is about to be overrun from the army of the dead, and thhe lastsurviving heroes retreat into the crypts. When all seems lost Jon or Arya (torn who should do it) lose their sword fighting the Night King and grab one of the old Stark swords as a last defense. By chance it's Ice (the legendary Stark sword) and it kills the Night King and his army dies with him.

Archived