Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

1 hour ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Because Sansa picked the feather up in Season 5 and carried it around with her in the crypts.

She's also called a bird in the books and the Vale's sigil is a bird. 

She's had feathers on her costumes since Season 4

Oh you're right! Sandor calls Sansa "little bird" many times and she sings and prays for him. I didn't see anything of Sandor's laying around in the yard, so just maybe we are getting to that Cocteau-twist? :leer:

I find this new teaser very encouraging for my Exodus Theory. If the living lose at Winterfell, where else can the story go? It's not like the show will have two climactic battles against the Others in six episodes. The final two will be about hijacking Euron's fleet from King's Landing and fighting off the Night King and his dragon(s ?) if he gives pursuit across the narrow sea.

Not exactly how I think the Exodus will play out in the books, but it would be a way for the show to have the same ending, technically speaking.

3 hours ago, T and A said:

Martin said that? Wow. I didn't knew about that ^_^

But to be honest, the WTF moments were until now, not really game changers. They were unexpected (definitively the Hodor thing, I never even heard that theory anywhere and we discuss those damn books for decades now) yes, but nothing that put the plot to a complete different direction. If the leaks are true  though - and I hope not - Tyrions betrayel is a massive WTF.

I do hope there is no Tyrion betrayal, as a guy who tends to think the worst path is path taken in this series I do think Tyrion betrayal would be bloody awful. I have always thought that GRRM was building up the underdogs and knocking down the favoriites throughout the series, and Tyrion is the true underdog of the Lannister clan.

Just an opinion.

4 minutes ago, The Coconut God said:

I find this new teaser very encouraging for my Exodus Theory. If the living lose at Winterfell, where else can the story go? It's not like the show will have two climactic battles against the Others in six episodes. The final two will be about hijacking Euron's fleet from King's Landing and fighting off the Night King and his dragon(s ?) if he gives pursuit across the narrow sea.

Not exactly how I think the Exodus will play out in the books, but it would be a way for the show to have the same ending, technically speaking.

I agree tha teaser shows the end for WF, and maybe a large part of the area south of the wall - but I think D and D will do the traditional ending, namely the hero wins after being put in the losing situation. This means Jon still kills the NK and saves the world - at the last possible moment, Disney cartoon style!

15 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I agree tha teaser shows the end for WF, and maybe a large part of the area south of the wall - but I think D and D will do the traditional ending, namely the hero wins after being put in the losing situation. This means Jon still kills the NK and saves the world - at the last possible moment, Disney cartoon style!

Well, I agree they kind of left that path opened with the whole "killing the Night King destroys the entire army" idea, but that would be... incredibly lame. I'm talking people being ashamed to look D&D in the yes on the street levels of lame.

Admittedly, a last minute Exodus would be pretty anticlimactic too. If it happens in the books, I expect we will have Jon across the narrow sea mid-Winds and a lot of Essos action, with Dany never properly crossing to Westeros at all because she's too busy fighting Braavos... The show obviously circumvented that, so we'll see how well it works slapping Essos in at the end. At least there's the "Westeros messed up and it has to pay the price" theme, and they made sure to establish the Others can't swim, so it will make at least a bit of sense, I guess.

3 minutes ago, The Coconut God said:

Well, I agree they kind of left that path opened with the whole "killing the Night King destroys the entire army" idea, but that would be... incredibly lame. I'm talking people being ashamed to look D&D in the yes on the street levels of lame.

Admittedly, a last minute Exodus would be pretty anticlimactic too. If it happens in the books, I expect we will have Jon across the narrow sea mid-Winds and a lot of Essos action, with Dany never properly crossing to Westeros at all because she's too busy fighting Braavos... The show obviously circumvented that, so we'll see how well it works slapping Essos in at the end. At least there's the "Westeros messed up and it has to pay the price" theme, and they made sure to establish the Others can't swim, so it will make at least a bit of sense, I guess.

I love your ending, but think what we will get in the show is gonna be eye-rolling level lame.

As for the books, I have ideas, some of which I have posted, but we got alot of pages before the last book to further develop ideas - and kill characters.

2 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I love your ending, but think what we will get in the show is gonna be eye-rolling level lame.

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised. :laugh: Six episodes to finish the story seems hopeless to me, even in the hands of more competent writers. I'm just enjoying my theories while I still can!

2 minutes ago, The Coconut God said:

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised. :laugh: Six episodes to finish the story seems hopeless to me, even in the hands of more competent writers. I'm just enjoying my theories while I still can!

I think the real point is that most theories survive the ending as it will be so shallow as to not provide an end to most storylines!

10 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I think the real point is that most theories survive the ending as it will be so shallow as to not provide an end to most storylines!

I think D&D said that the "outcome" will be the same. To me, this means that, no matter how little sense it will make, they will cram the conclusion in those final three episodes we haven't seen in the trailers.

Will there be an Exodus that unfolds throughout the remaining two books? Cool, they'll introduce the idea two episodes before the finale. Is Aegon going to "inherit" the Seven Kingdoms? Great! They'll pull the character out of their asses in the final season. Will X or Y character end up on the Iron Throne through a complex and meaningful series of events? They'll be plopped there with no explanation in episode six.

So, there will probably be spoilers, but they will be hard to identify because everything will be nonsensical.

4 hours ago, T and A said:
4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Gotcha. Didn't know that, and was thinking about Martin saying Dany would find helpful clues in F&B.

Martin said that? Wow. I didn't knew about that ^_^

But to be honest, the WTF moments were until now, not really game changers. They were unexpected (definitively the Hodor thing, I never even heard that theory anywhere and we discuss those damn books for decades now) yes, but nothing that put the plot to a complete different direction. If the leaks are true  though - and I hope not - Tyrions betrayel is a massive WTF. 

I believe what @kissdbyfire is referring to is this mention by GRRM back in November. If not, please correct me KBF.

• In a new video debuting exclusively on Esquire.com, Martin explains that even Daenerys herself could learn a thing or two from Fire & Blood.

"This is a book that Daenerys might actually benefit from reading, but she has no access to Archermaester Gyldayn's crumbling manuscripts. So she's operating on her own there," Martin says in the clip. "Maybe if she understood a few things more about dragons and her own history in Essos, things would have gone a little differently."

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a25228296/george-rr-martin-fire-and-blood-daenerys/

1 hour ago, Ser Uncle P said:

The promo is beautifully shot, but it's basically spilling the beans that NO main characters will die in the Battle of Winterfell.  

With zero subtlety.  

Though I like the fact that the wheel isn't broken in it!!!

LOL  At the wheel not being broken. 

It dawned on me after giving a thought to the promo and the poster that, honestly, it seems the show really is just about visuals.  It does well with visuals, I'll give them that.  I do agree that what I take from this is that most of the characters there at WF will survive. 

42 minutes ago, Every Last Chicken said:

This poster leaves me with even more questions...

Like where the hell did that giant bloody sword that Melisandra is holding come from?

Well, from your avatar-sake himself ^_^ Sandor is next to the 'G', and just to the bottom/side of Melisandre. His sword is crossing her. I am sure it is just a visual styling to help make the people part of the throne.

1 minute ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  At the wheel not being broken. 

It dawned on me after giving a thought to the promo and the poster that, honestly, it seems the show really is just about visuals.  It does well with visuals, I'll give them that.  I do agree that what I take from this is that most of the characters there at WF will survive. 

It's a bit of a fallacy in both book and show form that major characters are in danger of dying at anytime.  The show has tried to ham this up by making minor characters more important than they are so that it appears like a major character has died.  But ultimately since the beginning of the tale, two major characters have died.  And one of those was brought back in the books, albeit in another form.

Since then we've had the old trick of major characters appearing to die, only to not actually be dead.  Theon and the rearing horse (not that I regard Theon as a major character anyway), Jon being Caesered, Tyrion on a couple of occasions, Arya being hit in the head by an axe etc.

In reality Eddard died.  That's been it.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Oh you're right! Sandor calls Sansa "little bird" many times and she sings and prays for him. I didn't see anything of Sandor's laying around in the yard, so just maybe we are getting to that Cocteau-twist? :leer:

Ah, yes, his pretty talking bird.  The one he helped see through all the BS surrounding her. 

34 minutes ago, The Coconut God said:

Six episodes are at least 6 hours of screentime. That is enough screentime for a good story. 

54 minutes ago, Every Last Chicken said:

This poster leaves me with even more questions...

Like where the hell did that giant bloody sword that Melisandra is holding come from?

I'm not sure if that's a sword or a spear in Mel's hand.  I've blown it up for a better look, and hell, even Euron is in this picture toward the bottom of the pile up.  So, I'm guessing it's not just those at WF in the poster anyway.  I'm still trying to decide if that's Cersei toward the top after Dany and the one White Walker? 

ETA:  I guess that's the NK next to Dany.  It seems to be now that I've blown it up some. 

3 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Clapton says it's a sewing needle and thread, symbolizing her own version of Needle. Just read Clapton's interviews, she's very open about her design process.

Her useless version of Needle? As I said once, sometimes silence is better when all things are said and done :D

Archived