Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

1 minute ago, Lollygag said:

So no rants ever are allowed in any thread anywhere unless specifically labeled as a rant thread? You really going there? 

Circular rants, absolutely.  Rants that are logical or new, sure.  Why not.  But most of them aren't though are they?  Thousands of posts in the TV forum by the same posters pretty much saying the same thing post after post.  We get it.  You think the show is crap.

8 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

I just wish the usual suspects wouldn't poison every thread with their hatred.  The rest of us who want to discuss the show get it.  They think the show is crap.  Understood.  Now, do they have anything constructive to say in the discussion threads?  We don't need to be constantly brought down by the sheer, and often irrational, negativity of the same posters time and time and time again.

Cat Stark is a great example of someone who dislikes the show but who can also discuss the show rationally.  Can the others follow Cat's example?

What is rational to you maybe irrational to others. And just like you want to defend the show and its creators, others have every right to freely give their opinion about what they dislike about the show. If reading these different opinions riles you so much, you can just go ahead and put these “usual suspects” as you call on your ignore list and stop policing others comments.

Just now, teej6 said:

What is rational to you is irrational to others. And just like you want to defend the show and its creators, others have every right to freely give their opinion about what they dislike about the show. If reading these different opinions riles you so much, you can just go ahead and put these “usual suspects” as you call on your ignore list and stop policing others comments.

Actually, no.  I don't think they are very good.  I just want to discuss events in the show as events from the world, not how badly acted they were, or how bad the dialogue is.  When I want to complain about that, I go to the Rant and Rave thread.

And I'm not riled.  I am frustrated that there could be some good conversation in this forum, but generally each decent thread descends into the usual the "show is crap" and people stop posting.  You can see from the voting on the episodes that there isn't a correlation between how popular the show is from lurkers on here versus the majority of threads being negative.  It's a real shame those lurkers don't post on here.  More discussion would be great.

2 hours ago, divica said:

I am starting to hate that they took all the human feelings that the r+l=j should cause in several characters in order to focus on the stupid IT... I mean, jon and danny are in love… who cares who has the better claim? It annoys me to no end that we didn t have an emotional breakdown from jon where someone had to talk him through it for exemple...

In a way, I'm not surprised the Ds are doing this, they named the damn show Game of THRONES after all (it is the catchiest name out of the book names, I'll give them that)  The problem is the episode count and the little bit of time given for important things is the same amount of time given for stupid secondary or non existent book themes, like MissWorm for example.  Then again, more time for them would have just been more time for dick jokes and battles.  It's the stories of the main characters that are what makes the battles matter to us, but they don't know how to tell or write anything in a deep meaningful way.  I guess we should be grateful Jon isn't down in the crypts pondering brain damage and beetles, right? 

10 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

In a way, I'm not surprised the Ds are doing this, they named the damn show Game of THRONES after all (it is the catchiest name out of the book names, I'll give them that)  The problem is the episode count and the little bit of time given for important things is the same amount of time given for stupid secondary or non existent book themes, like MissWorm for example.  Then again, more time for them would have just been more time for dick jokes and battles.  It's the stories of the main characters that are what makes the battles matter to us, but they don't know how to tell or write anything in a deep meaningful way.  I guess we should be grateful Jon isn't down in the crypts pondering brain damage and beetles, right? 

Absolutely.  There are way too many characters left alive at this point in the show.  I really hope we get a serious cull in Ep3.  The show should have killed off a lot of the minor characters before this season, but I guess they want the impact of lots of people dying at Winterfell and the main characters probably have plot armour galore and don't die yet.

55 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

Absolutely.  There are way too many characters left alive at this point in the show.  I really hope we get a serious cull in Ep3.  The show should have killed off a lot of the minor characters before this season, but I guess they want the impact of lots of people dying at Winterfell and the main characters probably have plot armour galore and don't die yet.

That's not even the problem.  Nothing prevented them from doing 10 episodes, and they've certainly created their share of filler over the years.  The problem is that scenes people have been waiting years to see, are short, fairly boring, and don't feel authentic. It feels like every scene is structured around some specific line reading or badass action, but none of it feels organic the way humans really interact, so something like Jon finally learning the truth is totally underwhelming, Jon and Arya meeting after years and years of tragedy, eh, whatever, on to the next bullet point.

Is it just me, or does that leak about Tyrion's trial seem a lot less likely after this episode? His general incompetence was addressed, it doesn't look like he knew that Cersei would betray them, and so many characters vouched for him and praised his intelligence that it would seem downright comical if he screwed them over once again.

I know Friki is generally trustworthy, but his sources don't have to be. This leak is based on shooting done in a single location for no more than a few days, It could have easily been one of those fake scenes they filmed to fool us. Particularly since it was in a well known, recently used open location.

17 minutes ago, The Coconut God said:

Is it just me, or does that leak about Tyrion's trial seem a lot less likely after this episode?

???

If anything it seems more likely, since Tyrion has been fuck up after fuck up since season 6.

19 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

But it doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone. Who would keep a traitor around when a decisive battle is imminent?

What's a single dwarf gonna do in that situation? Daenerys losing her faith in him sets the ground for Tyrion betraying her or doing somethign extremely dumb later on for fear of losing his position, so it looks to me that things are on the perfect track.

Oh, and I'll always believe frikidoctor over random posters on the internet who would be in denial of anything that doesn't fit their headcanon, so there's also that.

4 minutes ago, Xemi said:

What's a single dwarf gonna do in that situation? Daenerys losing her faith in him sets the ground for Tyrion betraying her or doing somethign extremely dumb later on for fear of losing his position, so it looks to me that things are on the perfect track.

Oh, and I'll always believe frikidoctor over random posters on the internet who would be in denial of anything that doesn't fit their headcanon, so there's also that.

The problem is that the trial scenario doesn't have any potential for dramatic tension at this point. A lot of characters have made themselves partly responsible for Tyrion's actions by supporting him in spite of his failings. I mean, if the King makes Moonboy his Hand, and all his council, including the King's most loyal adviser and the smartest woman in Westeros, support Moonboy as Hand, even though all he ever did was act like a fool, is it really Moonboy's fault when he does something stupid in that position?

Let's say Tyrion does one last stupid thing in the final three episodes and is tried for it. How would that trial not feel hollow and anticlimactic?

12 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

Actually, no.  I don't think they are very good.  I just want to discuss events in the show as events from the world, not how badly acted they were, or how bad the dialogue is.  When I want to complain about that, I go to the Rant and Rave thread.

And I'm not riled.  I am frustrated that there could be some good conversation in this forum, but generally each decent thread descends into the usual the "show is crap" and people stop posting.  You can see from the voting on the episodes that there isn't a correlation between how popular the show is from lurkers on here versus the majority of threads being negative.  It's a real shame those lurkers don't post on here.  More discussion would be great.

This forum is unfortunatly not the forum for discussing the show. If you want a serious discussion about the show, even some reddit forums who concentrate solely on funny memes are more content filled than this forum. This forum is basically 10-12 people bitching about the show and insulting people who watch it. And it is pretty surreal, because you don't have to like every episode. But if you don't like the whole series, what is the point of even watching? I don't visit "Fifty Shades of Greys" forums, to tell people, I don't like the movies/books. They include the show as a subforum, because they want the clicks on this Website, because there are no books to discuss. And also because there are way more show fans than book fans. So they include this subforum, because otherwise it would be a forum about books released 7 years ago. That would make like 100 posts a week. GoT is soon ending. After that, most of the users will disapear. Then they can continue their rant about whatever.

If you want to discuss the books, it is not bad. But since there are no books to discuss, those posters concentrate on bashing the show. This is basically what this forum has become.

11 minutes ago, T and A said:

This forum is unfortunatly not the forum for discussing the show. If you want a serious discussion about the show, even some reddit forums who concentrate solely on funny memes are more content filled than this forum. This forum is basically 10-12 people, including mods, bitching about the show and insulting people who watch it. They include the show as a subforum, because they want the klics on this Website, because there are no books to discuss. And also because there are way more show fans than book fans. So they include this subforum, because otherwise it would be a forum about books released 7 years ago. That would make like 100 posts a week. GoT is soon ending. After that, most of the users will disapear. Than they can continue their rant about whatever.

If you want to discuss the books, it is not bad. But since there are no books to discuss, those posters concentrate on bashing the show. This is basically what this forum has become.

Look at the last eps.

We end ep 1 with Jon finding about the tarlys burning, about his mother, his father, that Ned lied to him his intire life, that he was t a Bastard, that he is a targ, that his siblings are his cousins... 

And in the next ep he is basically OK with all this and only preoccupied with how to tell Danny...

Don t you think that at the very least we should have some kind of reaction from Jon? That he must talk about it with someone? It is what is expected from a normal person... 

Or how is it possible that all starks Don t get together before a big battle where some of them might die? What kind of family is this? 

3 minutes ago, divica said:

Look at the last eps.

We end ep 1 with Jon finding about the tarlys burning, about his mother, his father, that Ned lied to him his intire life, that he was t a Bastard, that he is a targ, that his siblings are his cousins... 

And in the next ep he is basically OK with all this and only preoccupied with how to tell Danny...

Don t you think that at the very least we should have some kind of reaction from Jon? That he must talk about it with someone? It is what is expected from a normal person... 

Or how is it possible that all starks Don t get together before a big battle where some of them might die? What kind of family is this? 

That is a brilliant point, and how discussions should be. You didn't just said, the show sucks, it allways sucked. Because this is how all the discussions work here. ;) .

14 minutes ago, T and A said:

That is a brilliant point, and how discussions should be. You didn't just said, the show sucks, it allways sucked. Because this is how all the discussions work here. ;)

I think most people give reasons why they deslike the show. Some of them might be stupid reasons or reasons you don t agree with...

For example, have you seen the amount of conversations this season we have seen interrupted because the show stopped the scene without the conversation reaching a conclusion? Or the characters were interrupted... 

Archived