Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

20 minutes ago, Han Snow said:

Jesus Yeshua from Nazareth Azor Ahai Christ! IF any of the spoilers are true, than the good guys have actually lost last episode. The Night King was the true Hero of the story. F***, I hope all of the leaks are fake, because ... The alternative is horrible.

If the leaks are true does this mean that the great villain of the story is danny?

I mean, between the ice dude that wants to kill everybody because reasons and is ended in 1 ep, the drunk queen that nobody likes or follows but for reasons is queen, the horny pirate that nobody knows what he is doing...

At least danny is a developed character that we understand how she got where she is and why she does the things she does...

26 minutes ago, divica said:

If the leaks are true does this mean that the great villain of the story is danny?

I mean, between the ice dude that wants to kill everybody because reasons and is ended in 1 ep, the drunk queen that nobody likes or follows but for reasons is queen, the horny pirate that nobody knows what he is doing...

At least danny is a developed character that we understand how she got where she is and why she does the things she does...

The series was inspire by the poem Fire and Ice by Robert Frost. Fire and ice are both the 'villains' in the story. Jon is the balance of fire and ice, and the person that will defeat both. I assume the show simply divided the ice and fire stories into two separate story arcs instead of interweaving them.  Probably because the story with Daenerys is far more shocking to the audience.

29 minutes ago, divica said:

She is obsessed with the Iron Throne, but damn, for her to go so power hungry and utterly mad that Jon whacks her in the end... Especially after she survived the apocalypse. And no matter how bad the writing and characterization is in the show, it will still follow the BIG BROAD strokes of the story that Martin told D&D. But where is the bittersweet in all of this? It's a full blown tragedy, maybe GRRM likes to chew on horseradish as a sweet. but, damn... It's all so sad. Would people really , truly learn nothing after surviving the apocalypse like characters in the show did? How can you focus on and sell petty squabbling over the Iron Throne after starring at death's gorgeous blue eyes? COTF had it right when they created White Walkers to wipe out humanity. If only the Smirkster King was not so arrogant that he had to finish Bran himself, he would have won.

17 minutes ago, longest night said:

The series was inspire by the poem Fire and Ice by Robert Frost. Fire and ice are both the 'villains' in the story. Jon is the balance of fire and ice, and the person that will defeat both. I assume the show simply divided the ice and fire stories into two separate story arcs instead of interweaving them.  Probably because the story with Daenerys is far more shocking to the audience.

And contains a lot of Norse myth references where again ice & fire are both 'villains', and steam or water the balance to renew the world after the apocalypse.

3 hours ago, Amaretto said:

The kingdom will then be ruled by King Bran and his council of men.

What are you on about?

Also, women in power is ok, but men in power as would be accurate for the type of feudal society described in the setting is bad because...?

2 hours ago, WolfOfWinter said:

since others suggest there won't be a King or Queen of the Seven Kingdoms at the end.

Oh, that's convenient. That way the leaks that are BS will be easily identifiable.

Those spoilers sound like an incoherent mess up to this point. Sure, Dany might die, but I don't see Jon going to kill her over a bunch of dudes he never even met. What would be the point of that? What are the Kingslanders or whoever those people are to him, men who abandoned them during the battle at Winterfell?

I know one shouldn't ask that particular question, but all the tension that's build up to this point is between Sansa and Dany and Bronn and the Lannister brothers. Keep in mind that the guy is supposed to kill both Jaime and Tyrion. If he ended up killing Jaime that certainly could make Tyrion snap, for instance.

Tyrion is almost certain to live since Bran told him "his story", which is totally something someone does when someone must pass on some knowledge before they are gone, usually to someone who would live on to tell the tale. So the whole "Tyrion is trialed and blows up KL" and whatnot is garbage.

I don't believe Dany goes evil. She might die, she might be thought of as evil by the people. Is she at risk of being tricked or lured into taking the wrong decision or fall for a trap? Sure. But she isn't "going evil". Barristan and Jorah didn't serve Dany for her to be the enemy of the world.

8 minutes ago, NonoNono said:

Tyrion is almost certain to live since Bran told him "his story", which is totally something someone does when someone must pass on some knowledge before they are gone, usually to someone who would live on to tell the tale. So the whole "Tyrion is trialed and blows up KL" and whatnot is garbage.

I don't believe Dany goes evil. She might die, she might be thought of as evil by the people. Is she at risk of being tricked or lured into taking the wrong decision or fall for a trap? Sure. But she isn't "going evil". Barristan and Jorah didn't serve Dany for her to be the enemy of the world.

Melisandre also said that her life mission was to bring "ice and fire together" in S7 but she's all about Arya in S8. Not much consistency with our characters with future vision. :dunno:

On 5/3/2019 at 9:27 PM, Leticia Stark said:

According to these leaks, every big house is finished except the Starks, I mean, yay, but how's that bittersweet?

House Greyjoy and House Arryn are supposed to live on; I've never seen a slightly credible leak that has hinted at the death of Yara or Robin. And Edmure and his child are okay and may retake the Riverlands offscreen, I guess. And maybe Sarella Sand can get the Dornish Lords to legitimise her and rule as a Martell princess... I guess?

Also, the show has hinted at some distant Lannister cousins at times. But Seven know that we won't get a decent resolution for the Stormlands, Riverlands, and Reach. So much for complex Realpolitik now it's "all about the throne" again. 

On 5/3/2019 at 9:30 PM, alienarea said:

The Starks are done, too. No male heir to carry the name.

Uh, no. Lady Waynwood had Waynwood kids, Lady Oakheart had Oakheart kids, Maege Mormont has Mormont daughters, Tanda Stokeworth had Mormont daughters (and lest I mention the Dornish tradition, Doran, Oberyn and Elia got their name from their mother). I am sure Sansa as head of House Stark could choose to marry a slightly less important nobleman where she gets the say in the marriage and the kids get to take her name. Same with Yara Greyjoy. 

2 minutes ago, Vaith said:

Melisandre also said that her life mission was to bring "ice and fire together" in S7 but she's all about Arya in S8. Not much consistency with our characters with future vision. :dunno:

Or, this plot isn't over with. Arya served her part, but what follows could go beyond that. Remember Melisandre said she had made terrible mistakes. She is not one to ever be on the side of ice, and yet as a result of her interactions with Jon she changed and brought "ice and fire" together.

Was she even serving the Lord of Light anymore by the end of her life? Her throwing away her necklace could have indicated that she wasn't, she just used the powers she had to help, and then let herself die, as a sort of atonement.

F***! This is mental. Dany being the Mad Queen and not Cersei. Jon killing her and going off to serve as 1000th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch...

I'm actually shocked.

And not in a good way. These ARE THE BROAD STROKES GRRM HAS PLANNED FOR HIS BOOKS! That is what worries me the most. How does he see it as bittersweet. I mean, maybe, but F***!

8 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

I think the idea is that ice magic and fire magic exist in a sort of yin-yang relationship. There HAD been magic thousands of years ago but apart from strange rumours about Asshai at the edge of Essos, it was believed that magic, along with Others and Dragons had disappeared from the world. Something triggered its reawakening in the decades before the GoT story opens - the books will explore the source, but the TV show skips it. It does seem that the R'hallor religion is new and emerged at the same time as the Others awoke. It makes sense that ice magic, fire magic together with dragons will disappear from the world at the conclusion of the story.

But in the TV show, Melisandre has been a red priestess for hundreds of years, according to the showrunners. It is a religion that is simply new in Westeros. There are rather old red temples in Volantis.

4 minutes ago, Han Snow said:

F***! This is mental. Dany being the Mad Queen and not Cersei. Jon killing her and going off to serve as 1000th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch...

I'm actually shocked.

And not in a good way. These ARE THE BROAD STROKES GRRM HAS PLANNED FOR HIS BOOKS! That is what worries me the most. How does he see it as bittersweet. I mean, maybe, but F***!

I mean, just how broad are the strokes? I'm very sceptical of anything going ahead reflecting things in the books. 

Let's take some things we already know were massively changed when the show went off the rails -- e.g. the changes to the Martell family, Ellaria being completely flipped on her head as a character, as well as Sansa in Winterfell being a false Arya in the novels. Since there are actually no equivalent novels at this point, I do actually think they would change major character deaths, who is on the throne, who rules each region, etc.

I know Martin's own statements as to his plans for the books have supported this idea but I do have to wonder if he is legally obligated to praise the show to a certain extent. 

9 minutes ago, Han Snow said:

I'm actually shocked.

Some of the leaks might be true, but that shit of Jon returning to the NW is too stupid. There are no more ww, the wall has a hole and the wildlings are south of the wall. Why would there even be a NW? 

At most he could decide to travel the world and look for happiness. But it would be character assassination. 

In regards to Danny, I can understand that people might just not want her as queen and that she would feel the need to burn lords until people start kneeling. 

However the show doesn t have this kind of complexity. There are t lords anymore to opose Danny and the people In KL are clearly sheep. I have no idea who would opose to her being queen at this point... 

2 minutes ago, divica said:

Some of the leaks might be true, but that shit of Jon returning to the NW is too stupid. There are no more ww, the wall has a hole and the wildlings are south of the wall. Why would there even be a NW? 

Actually, I can see the re-establishment of a Night's Watch being a focal point in the books, too. The Wall was likely constructed -- we think so, at least -- after the original Long Night. Probably, there will be some who want to prepare in case the White Walkers return, even in millennia (did the Children make more White Walkers that are still out there in the Lands of Always Winter? Who knows, since the show has never touched on the origin of the Walkers more than one scene, but it may be a plot point that GRRM focuses on).

Bran especially might take a role as "Brandon the Rebuilder"; as a greenseer he may see that there is some threat in the far future and will seek to rebuild the Wall, but with the focus specifically being to combat the Walkers rather than be prejudiced against the Free Folk. 

8 minutes ago, Vaith said:

I mean, just how broad are the strokes? I'm very sceptical of anything going ahead reflecting things in the books. 

Let's take some things we already know were massively changed when the show went off the rails -- e.g. the changes to the Martell family, Ellaria being completely flipped on her head as a character, as well as Sansa in Winterfell being a false Arya in the novels. Since there are actually no equivalent novels at this point, I do actually think they would change major character deaths, who is on the throne, who rules each region, etc.

I know Martin's own statements as to his plans for the books have supported this idea but I do have to wonder if he is legally obligated to praise the show to a certain extent. 

Jon killing Dany is beyond massive, it is definitive. Even dumb and dumber wouldn't make that up on their own. If such a massive event is to happen in the books it must happen in the show and vice versa. They can change a billon little details on how it happens, but if it truly happens, then it will be in the books. D&D confirmed similarity of major events in a dozen interviews, George confirms it. Night King dying or even existing in the books is nothing compared to this. This is the main male protagonist killing the main female protagonist. Romeo and Juliet of fantasy. ASOIAF and the whole show WILL BE BOTH DEFINED AND REMEMBERED by this event...

I'm shell shocked to be honest.

Just now, Vaith said:

Actually, I can see the re-establishment of a Night's Watch being a focal point in the books, too. The Wall was likely constructed -- we think so, at least -- after the original Long Night. Probably, there will be some who want to prepare in case the White Walkers return, even in millennia (did the Children make more White Walkers that are still out there in the Lands of Always Winter? Who knows, since the show has never touched on the origin of the Walkers more than one scene, but it may be a plot point that GRRM focuses on).

Bran especially might take a role as "Brandon the Rebuilder"; as a greenseer he may see that there is some threat in the far future and will seek to rebuild the Wall, but with the focus specifically being to combat the Walkers rather than be prejudiced against the Free Folk. 

In the books it might make sense depending on how the WW are handled. 

In the show it doesn t make sense. 

21 minutes ago, Han Snow said:

I'm actually shocked.

They are not sure whether Jon is actually the one to kill her let alone goes to the NW.. this is the entire post: on this link

Important here is that it says "something close to Jon kills Dany" and then everyone thinking he did it. And later when asked if "Jon is the one who kills Dany" the answer of a source is "the closest anyone has guessed". That leads me to conclude that it's NOT Jon who does it, but something or someone physically close to him, so might be a bow or hell even a scorpion bolt.

9 minutes ago, divica said:

Some of the leaks might be true, but that shit of Jon returning to the NW is too stupid. There are no more ww, the wall has a hole and the wildlings are south of the wall. Why would there even be a wall? 

At most he could decide to travel the world and look for happiness. But it would be character assassination. 

In regards to Danny, I can understand that people might just not want her as queen and that she would feel the need to burn lords until people start kneeling. 

However the show doesn t have this kind of complexity. There are t lords anymore to opose Danny and the people In KL are clearly sheep. I have no idea who would opose to her being queen at this point... 

The basic function of the Night's Watch at the start of the series was  that of a prison. it will be Jon's self punishment.

2 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

They are not sure whether Jon is actually the one to kill her let alone goes to the NW.. this is the entire post: on this link

I pray that it is a fake ending they filmed, but my gut is telling me that it is real.

Archived