Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

6 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

A recorded public statement by a public figure who would know, or who should know better that to lie on tape and destroy his chances of ever working again, is certainly evidence. That doesn't mean it's proof. It means it's something to consider.

I'd say he's mistaken.  He's probably repeating something 4th or 5th hand.  

5 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Барристан Барристонович несчастлив.

Well, he has every right to be. Two words: Oxford Union. 

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I never said McElhinney was lying. For all I know, he may truly believe what he said. He was amazing as Barristan, and he not only read the books, but prefer them over the show. His own words, not mine. But Martin, the actual author of the books, has said several times that he isn’t working on both books, and that when he is done w/ TWoW he will announce it on NaB first. Like he did w/ ADwD, and maybe AFfC, though I don’t really remember about Feast. And I believe him. 

I think here we have to take into account several interests. We know that the books will be very diferent from the show because there is a second dance of dragons and euron is basically completly diferent.

If he published winds in the last 3 years or so it would be very negative for the show because the mith that it strongly follows the books would be destroyed. And people would be always making comparisons… Then we have no idea what HBO ofered him… For exemple, he might have more powers over the prequels than what we think...

And while I highly doubt that he has finished winds in time for it to be published before s6, I wouldn t be shocked if he finished it since then and has some agreement with HBO...

12 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'd say he's mistaken.  He's probably repeating something 4th or 5th hand.  

The fact that someone told him that also speaks volumes...

I would say it should at least mean grrm finished winds and has been working on Spring for a while.

36 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

In an interview less than a month ago, Ian McElhinney (who plays Ser Barristan) reported that:

George has already written books six and seven, and as far as he’s concerned, there only are seven books. But he struck an agreement with David and Dan, the showrunners in the series, that he would not publish the final two books until the series has completed.”

Not a chance. I doubt that GRRM has even finished one quarter of what Winds is suposed to be. He is purely focused on television for years now, at least financially. 

Just now, divica said:

The fact that someone told him that also speaks volumes...

I would say it should at least mean grrm finished winds and has been working on Spring for a while.

Yeah, again, I don't believe that.  The deal was initially done when everyone expected that the books would be out ahead of the show's completion, so the idea that HBO wrote something into the contract to prevent Martin from publishing doesn't make sense.  It also, if Winds is done, wouldn't make sense that the show did a huge nose dive in quality as if they have no idea of any of the plot that is to come.  And why if Winds is done, wouldn't he have published it at Christmas?  Why wait until the show is over when this will diminish interest in the books?  Especially if people dislike the end of the show.  

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, again, I don't believe that.  The deal was initially done when everyone expected that the books would be out ahead of the show's completion, so the idea that HBO wrote something into the contract to prevent Martin from publishing doesn't make sense.  It also, if Winds is done, wouldn't make sense that the show did a huge nose dive in quality as if they have no idea of any of the plot that is to come.  And why if Winds is done, wouldn't he have published it at Christmas?  Why wait until the show is over when this will diminish interest in the books?  Especially if people dislike the end of the show.  

I am not saying that in the original agreement martin couldn t publish more books.

If it happened it was done after s5. Between the show not having more spoilers in the form of the books and D&D not wanting to follow his storyline that had much more characters there certainly are several reasons… And not Forget, once the show diverged from the books if grrm publishes winds and it is vastly diferent from the show a lot of people will start to say that what happens in the show doesn t count or that it sucks and they should follow the books, etc...

And I don t think grrm or anyone expected s8 to be this bad. If people really hate it he will probably just say his end is very diferent from what happens in the show and everything will be ok...

19 minutes ago, divica said:

I think here we have to take into account several interests. We know that the books will be very diferent from the show because there is a second dance of dragons and euron is basically completly diferent.

If he published winds in the last 3 years or so it would be very negative for the show because the mith that it strongly follows the books would be destroyed. And people would be always making comparisons… Then we have no idea what HBO ofered him… For exemple, he might have more powers over the prequels than what we think...

And while I highly doubt that he has finished winds in time for it to be published before s6, I wouldn t be shocked if he finished it since then and has some agreement with HBO...

I mean, it's pretty clear that they didn't have much faith in adapting FeastDance, either. :P

1 minute ago, Vaith said:

I mean, it's pretty clear that they didn't have much faith in adapting FeastDance, either. :P

That was a good choice on their behalf, I must admit. One of their few bright moments I must say. Imagine a whole season with Briene wandering around Westeros, Quentin wandering around Essos, Tyrion wandering around Essos, introducing Aegon, Conington, Victarion, Lady Stoneheart. The hate that the show gets now? That would not happen. Because the show would not have been airing since three seasons by now.

8 minutes ago, Vaith said:

But you see they tried to do it. You just have to look at dorne, the iron islands and sansa's arc... 

However they sucked and they didn t really invest much in those characters… After season 6 I don t think the show could ever return to the books story… And the fact that they changed so many things also shows that maybe they weren t worried about books coming out...

3 minutes ago, T and A said:

That was a good choice on their behalf, I must admit. One of their few bright moments I must say. Imagine a whole season with Briene wandering around Westeros, Quentin wandering around Essos, Tyrion wandering around Essos, introducing Aegon, Conington, Victarion, Lady Stoneheart. The hate that the show gets now? That would not happen. Because the show would not have been airing since three seasons by now.

faegon and lady stoneheart not being in the show were huge mistakes. LSH would be perfect to connect the riverlands to the story in the north. And Aegon would be a much better final villain than cersei that would also bring dorne into the story...

2 minutes ago, T and A said:

FeastDance is quite an internal book... but, like, you can't make the "happens" stuff in one season.

Tyrion "wandering around Essos" (and Quentyn travelling there) would have been worse than 6 or 7 epsiodes in him travelling, and taking a dinghy through the Smoking Sea with Jorah?

I don't know how Lady Stoneheart would be unpopular. It seems to me like an undead Michelle Fairley would have given people the chills -- it would have at least been more fun than Brienne and Jaime wandering about the Riverlands in Season 6 because D&D needed more filler content.

And like, if you're not going to do a story right, just cut it. There was no need for that utterly stupid Dornish plot.

King's Landing suffered from the effect of ageing Tommen up so we could see Natalie Dormer's bewbs, but Tommen still acts as a child, and it's ambiguous as to whether there's actually a regency or not. They liked Cersei, yet shafted her good grasp of power until she blew everyone up. And they even managed to be less titillating -- Margaery gets imprisoned for perjury instead of adultery allegations? Oh, come on!

I don't think Aegon would have been an unpopular concept, and if Varys had gone over to his side, it would make a lot more sense than his flip-flopping between Dany and Jon-"Aegon".

Just now, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

I'm watching the previous episode now (the scene where Missandei is executed), and my god Lena Headey is so good.

Her acting and Alfie's have been the only thing keeping the season vaguely alive... if she dies tonight, the show will really be over. :P

Illyrio's Aegon would have been a rerun of the Targaryen "The Iron Throne is mine by right!" refrain we hear in Dany.

Then we would have not just one but now two claimants both saying it was theirs by right, and both being wrong but not knowing it themselves.

That would have watered down Dany's position, because the rerun would have made the tension and impact lower. 

1 minute ago, NickBD said:

Just had a brief look on freefolk damn they are vicious tonight (more than normal).  Just 1 thread about liking the season so far and the abuse they got. 

If only we could harness the energy of angry teenagers, we'd never have to burn another drop of fuel oil.

Archived