Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The show doesn't give much to go on with Bran's story, they never spent the time to get a handle on it or how to portray it and integrate it into the story.  He may never come back to WF until after the war is over, his power limited to very specific instances like with Theon at the weirwood tree.  He surely won't be the one to 'see' Jon's heritage or anything like that.  

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I'm not completely joking when I describe him as basically a tree - I think in the books he will remain planted north of the Wall and 'direct' affairs like the 'current' 3ER.

21 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I'm not completely joking when I describe him as basically a tree - I think in the books he will remain planted north of the Wall and 'direct' affairs like the 'current' 3ER.

Bran might perfectly have his conscience living inside the weirwood net… 

I don't think Bran will be king, more like a prime minister or something, with Westeros becoming a parliamentary democracy, albeit one with a parliament of only five or so people, it sounds like.

I guess the Iron Throne being destroyed and Westeros no longer being a monarchy is supposed to be the "sweet" part of this bittersweet.

5 hours ago, weirwoodface said:

Good morning, I was just reading the weekly snarky GoT recap from The New Yorker and noticed that the writer must have been given access to a season screener for journalistic purposes, because she included a teaser sentence about a couple of things that will occur in the finale:

Link: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-television/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5-recap-hells-bells

It would be interesting if Bran warged into Drogon who then carried Dany’s lifeless body to the north where she could be resurrected as someone who is undead. It would fit with the house of undying vision where she does end up north of the wall.

i just don’t think it will happen though. D&D will probably keep it simple and bitter. The way Dany killed thousands of innocents means that she has to go. Jon or Arya will do the deed and Drogon will then carry her lifeless body to parts of unknown. And that’s a wrap for dany. 

1 minute ago, Darryk said:

I don't think Bran will be king, more like a prime minister or something, with Westeros becoming a parliamentary democracy, albeit one with a parliament of only five or so people, it sounds like.

I guess the Iron Throne being destroyed and Westeros no longer being a monarchy is supposed to be the "sweet" part of this bittersweet.

It's still a fantasy Middle Ages though - I don't think anyone is contemplating a 20th century model of governance.  I think the concluding point is a response to the most famous line of the book and the show.

Recall, in Season 1 - Cercei telling Ned, "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die".

The point is, 'When you play the game of thrones, nobody wins and everybody dies'.

8 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

It's still a fantasy Middle Ages though - I don't think anyone is contemplating a 20th century model of governance.  I think the concluding point is a response to the most famous line of the book and the show.

Recall, in Season 1 - Cercei telling Ned, "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die".

The point is, 'When you play the game of thrones, nobody wins and everybody dies'.

Well,  not a 20th century model of governance. Granted, I shouldn't have used the word "democracy", as from the leaks it sounds like the nobles vote for Bran, which would be closer to the parliamentary system England had in its Middle Ages. it's gonna be awhile before Westeros has universal suffrage, obviously.

But the series could end with something resembling parliament, a sign that Westeros is taking its first step out of the Middle Ages. There's got to be some kind of progress at the end of all this, surely? Maybe GRRM told them something more complex and they're gonna massively simplify it by having a council of several people,.

1 minute ago, Darryk said:

having a council of several people,.

The small council ran affairs while (a) Robert was off hunting, (b) Joffrey was off torturing cats and harlots and (c) Tommen was playing with his train set. Wouldn't be very different really.

1 hour ago, House Cambodia said:

The small council ran affairs while (a) Robert was off hunting, (b) Joffrey was off torturing cats and harlots and (c) Tommen was playing with his train set. Wouldn't be very different really.

Except the leader of the council would be elected rather than hereditary; basically a Hand of the King who is appointed by the council rather than the king, and there's no king.

But yeah, still pretty simplistic and not very satisfying; probably a very dumbed down version of what GRRM will do.

4 hours ago, divica said:

I think it is really hard that this arc of danny's story can happen after the others are defeated. For me the epilogue was always about how the king/queen would rule after they get their throne and what the other characters will do with their lives. Not about a new war… It makes much more sense for danny to have to burn mereen because of the plague and how the people there are practising slavery again. And when she arrives in westeros things happen that once again change her character...

I agree, this seems so much more serious than the others/ww/nk and the long night. the epilogue for me was jon/dany coming together as she is pregnant and buggering off somewhere and abdicating from the IT. the bitter sweet is they walk away from the throne/ruling and focus on what they feel is important - family. never expected dany to be the final villain, no matter how it is indicated in the books, and this is a shock to the system. especiallu nuking KL. it is too much in a short season. 

10 hours ago, divica said:

I also hold to that idea. The show couldn t really have bran stuck in a cave sending dreams/visions to other people right? 

Never seemed to be a problem for Bloodraven. Bran and others got those just fine from the cave.

Bran returning to Winterfell is part of "the pack survives" motif. It's critical that there be a Stark family reunion, and well before the end.

2 hours ago, Larger than Average Finger said:

Would Jon's face get her close enough now? Does she trust him enough?

I can't think of anyone else, at least amongst the hypothetically still living and therefore credible to her, whom she would trust to get close to her as she does Jon.

After all, she doesn't know many folks in Westeros. Doesn't know many at all.

11 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It looks very likely that Jon will kill Dany next episode and Bran will be selected as the new king. Place your bets now, kids.

My bet is against the second part. That's just silly, and it won't happen.

Jon has been tempered first in water (the battle of ice), then by the heart of a lion (Lannisters).  His love would come last.

5 hours ago, Westerosi said:

i just don’t think it will happen though. D&D will probably keep it simple and bitter. The way Dany killed thousands of innocents means that she has to go. Jon or Arya will do the deed and Drogon will then carry her lifeless body to parts of unknown. And that’s a wrap for dany. 

Bran will skinchange into Drogon to fly Dany's cooling body off to the strangely adjacent Isle of Faces (see the weird new intro!) to meet the Green Men there, who will Benjen her into becoming a free-willed ice-wight who keeps her own mind and agency after death, just as Jon is a free-willed fire-wight who also kept his own mind and agency after death.

At last Jon and Dany will be perfectly matched now, the iced fire-girl and the fired ice-boy, both killed but neither dead. And noöne will find them for a thousand years.

7 hours ago, divica said:

why would he go south? I can t think of a single reason why people would want bran in KL...

And there is that thing about there always being a stark in winterfell.

First of all, why would Bran wheel, when he can take the LittleFinger © Teleportation TravelShip that will get him to Winterfell quicker than I can get to my frig. Secondly, Sansa "What about the North" is there.  Prolly not leaving anytime soon. 

But the question remains about why Bran would go and get himself elected President of Planetos. I just cannot see it, and do not believe, for one second, that that is Martin's end.  Nope.  Not gonna happen.  Never.  

2 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Is any of this stuff about resurrecting Dany from the leaks or is it all specualtion?

I know we are talking about D&D, but the leaks say that jon kills dany and that everybody basically hates her...

So who would ressurect her and why would she live her undead life with jon?

If she was killed by anyone else I could see an ending where they decide to spend their 1000 years living alone in their waterfall… 

IF, and that's a huge IF, they resurrect her I think it'll be Kinvara, probably.

Like, the leaks say Drogon will take her dead body somewhere but no one knows where. Maybe he goes where Kinvara is and she resurrects her. I don't think Jon or Dany, after he kills her, will want anything with each other at all.

Considering the reliable leaks didn't say anything about Dany being resurrected, I doubt it'll happen.

Archived