Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

In my opinion, the show has been really bad for a while. The last watchable season was S4. After that it became D&D’s fanfic and all about spectacle and ridiculous plots. Several of the characters I liked in the books were completely ruined. Stannis’ storyline was completely butchered by these two hacks (remember Ramsay’s 20 good men against a seasoned battle commander). It was obvious from the beginning they didn’t like Stannis but when they were following his book storyline, there was only so much they could ruin about the character and Dillane was really good despite not knowing what Stannis character/story was all about.

What they did with Ellaria Sand was criminal. She has a small supporting role in the books but her character in the books spells out everything that is wrong about war, bloodshed, and revenge. They take one of the few people who advocate against war and revenge in the books and turn her into a vengeful child murderer. 

The audience and the critics, (many of whom disliked the first couple of seasons when the show was actually good and only started liking the show when it became popular and a cultural phenomena) who praised the show even after it had plot holes the size of Australia, and when logical character progression and storylines ceased to matter, are equally responsible for this travesty. They are responsible for boosting the egos of two incompetent writers and letting them believe that any crap they tell will always be gold, logic, character arcs and good storytelling be damned. 

9 hours ago, weirwoodface said:

The petition is amazing. Beyond demonstrating how personally invested so many people have become in GoT and its characters, it does perhaps demonstrate a disturbing tendency of millions to misinterpret what certain stories might mean--and where they might be going.

Indeed. 

Remember it was GRRM who said:

“Art is not a democracy. People don't get to vote on how it ends.”

Just now, CrypticWeirwood said:

Indeed. 

Remember it was GRRM who said:

“Art is not a democracy. People don't get to vote on how it ends.”

that is an interesting quote because what diferentiates art and garbage is people's opinion…

Honestly I don t think the problem is so much how it ends but how that ending makes people feel… If people are satisfied it is a good ending, if not...

17 minutes ago, divica said:

Isn t it really weird that there isn t some buzz about the end of GOT online?

It is suposed to be the end of the greatest show ever and nobody really seems to care...

I don’t think it’s weird at all. After 5 dumb episodes that were dull as dishwater, lots of people are probably thinking this mess is now past the point of being salvageable. 

17 minutes ago, divica said:

Isn t it really weird that there isn t some buzz about the end of GOT online?

It is suposed to be the end of the greatest show ever and nobody really seems to care...

No, I don't find it weird that there isn't some buzz about the end of GOT online.

Remember, martin failed to deliver WoW. HBO was left with the DwD ending.

From there they only had the broad strokes of an as yet unfinished saga.

Just now, Clegane'sPup said:

No, I don't find it weird that there isn't some buzz about the end of GOT online.

Remember, martin failed to deliver WoW. HBO was left with the DwD ending.

From there they only had the broad strokes of an as yet unfinished saga.

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t think it’s weird at all. After 5 dumb episodes that were dull as dishwater, lots of people are probably thinking this mess is now past the point of being salvageable. 

IT is the end of their biggest show. They not making some kind of event to celebrate it isn t normal...

2 minutes ago, divica said:

IT is the end of their biggest show. They not making some kind of event to celebrate it isn t normal...

If I remember correctly D & D said they were gonna take a vacation and shut down.

I can understand that.

They had to finish an adaption without author material.

Soooooooo, if martin and the D's are telling it true that the endings are the same shyte is gonna hit the fan.

From the guy who started the petition (posted on Reddit):

As this petition approaches a million signatures, I figured I should give a real update and explanation. I made this petition some few days after Episode 4, “The Last of the Starks”, aired. I was just so disappointed and angry. It was simply me venting a bit. I posted it to r/freefolk on Reddit, it got nowhere, and I shrugged and went about my day. I had forgotten all about it. A week later, a coworker caught me before I was leaving for the day and asked, “Hey, is this you?” The petition had almost reached 500,000 signatures. I was blown away. I hadn’t checked the thing for a week! And look at how far it has come! I haven’t heard from anyone HBO-related. I don’t think people can reasonably expect HBO to completely remake the season, or any part of this particular series (keep in mind the prequel spinoffs). It costs a fortune to shoot one episode, and I think most signers understand that. Will HBO lose gobs of money over this? Eh probably not. As Heath Ledger’s Joker once said, “It’s not about the money, it’s about sending a message.” And I think this message is one of frustration and disappointment at its core. There is so much awful crap going on in the world, people like me need to escape into things like Star Wars and Game of Thrones. We fans invested a wealth of passion and time into this series. I’ve been watching religiously since Season 2, myself. I’ve read all the books and eagerly await the next two. I love this story, and I, like most of you, was crushed to see how the last season (and Season 7, let’s be real) has been handled. Is Dany going to succumb to madness in the books? Probably. Is Arya going to kill the Night King? Well he doesn’t exist in the books as of yet so…maybe? Is Jaime going to sacrifice his entire character arc to go embrace Cersei? I’d doubt it, but that’s GRRM’s decision. The issue I have is not necessarily with what we got, it’s HOW we got there — A rushed, laughably inconsistent mess of a season fraught with cringe-inducing, arc-slaying dialogue and “everybody is stupid” syndrome. We can expect that the books will describe a more sensical path toward the ultimate conclusions that we will see on Sunday. No pressure, Mr. Martin. D&D adapted those books in the beginning and it became one of the greatest TV shows of all time. No one can doubt their talents there. But they seemingly became tired of the series and rushed to the end, thereby doing the show and its fans a great disservice. I feel for the actors and actresses too. I am sure some of them are happy with their arcs or perhaps are just happy to be done with the series so they can move on, but I am also sure that many are disappointed with the writing of their characters and the plot here in the end. They put their souls into these characters, and they could be every bit as disappointed as we are. And no one can question the talents of the casting department, and cinematography, and music, and costuming, and the CGI team, and all those technical fields that went into keeping the show such a beautiful spectacle through to the end. They deserve all the accolades they can get and this petition is not a comment on their contributions to the show. In closing, I didn’t make this petition to be an entitled, whiny fan. I made it because I was immensely disappointed and needed to vent. Do I have a solution? I’ve got plenty of ideas, but no, I’m not a Hollywood writer. But you don’t need to be a mechanic to know your car is broken. Thank you to everyone for signing this silly thing. I will post another update if something tangible happens. Valar Morghulis

41 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

From the guy who started the petition (posted on Reddit):

<snip>

Yeah, buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Doesn't change that Mr. Martin and D & D have made remarks that GOT and ASOIAF end at the same place.

3 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

Not to be redundant, but the petition now has over 1 million online signers.  I feel confident that during and after the finale the number will go up.

So what? It's at most performance art. It means nothing, and will do nothing.

4 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Who are these idiots who thought “this was the greatest Show in the world” in the first place? It never was. 

Who are these idiots who thought this show was yet another dumb superhero and supervillain movie? It never was.

Read the books.

48 minutes ago, NonoNono said:

Bran was always a selfish self-centered boy, in the show and the books.

Bran is clearly the Last Hero.

Yet here and there in the fastness of the woods, the children still lived in their wooden cities and hollow hills, and the faces in the trees kept watch. So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. For years he searched until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities. One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. 

And always has been.

Just now, CrypticWeirwood said:

Who are these idiots who thought this show was yet another dumb superhero and supervillain movie? It never was.

Read the books.

I am sorry, but avengers endgame is so much better than GOT s8...

It may be a superhero movie, but it can deliver everything GOT should. 

5 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Read the books.

It is BECAUSE I read the books (many times over) long before I watched the Show that I could tell you this Show is shit very early on.

And it got progressively worse as it moved along.

Archived