Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

Although I had pegged Grey Worm and possibly Missandei as well as cannon fodder, I think D&D will spare them to avoid potential criticism over offing the only POC main characters. They’ll probably leave Westeros after the war and go to Naath.

That makes sense, since Show Missy is an adult unlike Book Missy who is too young for romance.  

Any word or speculation on air dates next year?  Spring, Summer or Fall?  My guess is Fall, they will play out the show as long as they can.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

That makes sense, since Show Missy is an adult unlike Book Missy who is too young for romance.  

Any word or speculation on air dates next year?  Spring, Summer or Fall?  My guess is Fall, they will play out the show as long as they can.

From what I have read most likely spring back in its traditional slot where Westworld was this year... but no one really knows

On 7/24/2018 at 12:14 PM, Cas Stark said:

Official word from HBO head of programming, Casey Bloys, is "first half of 2019." I think official word from HBO is that Season 3 of True Detective will be airing in "early 2019," so doing the math (True Detective usually has eight episodes, and assuming the show is starting in January), we can't expect GOT before March 4th, 2019 (first Sunday in March).

Under Emmy rules, half the episodes have to air before May 31st, 2019 to be eligible for the 2019 Emmys. So we can't expect GOT to premiere after May 12th, the Sunday three weeks before the cutoff (assuming they wouldn't skip a week for Memorial Day weekend).

So the range for the premiere date is probably somewhere between March 4th and May 12th.

However, there have been at least two instances where a cast or crew member has slipped and said that the premiere date is April 2019. /BoatsexBaby is also hearing that the premiere date is in April 2019, or at least that's the plan.

3 hours ago, Newstar said:

Official word from HBO head of programming, Casey Bloys, is "first half of 2019." I think official word from HBO is that Season 3 of True Detective will be airing in "early 2019," so doing the math (True Detective usually has eight episodes, and assuming the show is starting in January), we can't expect GOT before March 4th, 2019 (first Sunday in March).

Under Emmy rules, half the episodes have to air before May 31st, 2019 to be eligible for the 2019 Emmys. So we can't expect GOT to premiere after May 12th, the Sunday three weeks before the cutoff (assuming they wouldn't skip a week for Memorial Day weekend).

So the range for the premiere date is probably somewhere between March 4th and May 12th.

However, there have been at least two instances where a cast or crew member has slipped and said that the premiere date is April 2019. /BoatsexBaby is also hearing that the premiere date is in April 2019, or at least that's the plan.

Thanks, I assume they will want to maximize their opp. for a last round of Emmys so sounds like it would probably be late April/early May.

40 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Thanks, I assume they will want to maximize their opp. for a last round of Emmys so sounds like it would probably be late April/early May.

Agreed. On the WOTW comment thread, user Clob pointed out that the hanging episodes rule only applies to ongoing shows, not shows that are cancelled or discontinued. If GOT is "discontinued" and not ongoing because it's the last season (and I'm not sure that it is, but let's assume), then that means all six episodes have to air before the cutoff date for GOT to be eligible for the 2019 Emmys, meaning the latest the show could premiere would be April 21st, 2018. 

I doubt HBO wants GOT to miss another eligibility round for the Emmys, so I tend to think the powers that be are going to do everything they can to make sure that GOT makes the cutoff for the 2019 Emmy awards.

Frankly, no matter how much of a blockbuster Season 8 supposedly is in terms of labour-intensive VFX or what have you, they have tons of time to get their postproduction ducks in a row. For Seasons 1-6, there was about a four-month gap between the end of filming and the premiere of the new season. For Season 7, it was about a five-month gap (filming finished in February, Season 7 premiered in July). For Season 8, assuming an April 2019 premiere, they'll have about nine months to finish up. That should be plenty of time.

It sounds as if the S8 episodes will be between 50 and 90 minutes each...More or less like Season 7, in other words, although Season 7 episodes were on average 63 minutes apiece. 

I am truly inclined to believe that at the end Dany and/or Jon will be dead (I can also see Jon doing Rand al'Thor going to sunset kind of exit) which would leave Tyrion and Sansa to pick up the pieces and rule. It would be very Tolstoyean of GRRM to end it that way. 

I am also a bit surprised to see that Cersei will live to almost very end. After Season 6 finale and the Big Bang at Sept of Baelor, I thought we were just waiting the moment Cersei will be given a proper send-off to the seventh hell. Many have argued that Cersei has been kept due to Lena Headey's performance (even she said, in Episode 6.10 "Inside the Episode" video - "she has to go") I am afraid Cersei will overstay her welcome. And that would be pity.

9 hours ago, Risto said:

I am truly inclined to believe that at the end Dany and/or Jon will be dead (I can also see Jon doing Rand al'Thor going to sunset kind of exit) which would leave Tyrion and Sansa to pick up the pieces and rule. It would be very Tolstoyean of GRRM to end it that way. 

I guess that would make Tyrion and Sansa the Pierre and Natasha of ASOIAF. I’m certain GRRM has read War and Peace since he has mentioned it in interviews, even if he hasn’t specifically cited it as an influence, so it’s certainly possible.

24 minutes ago, Newstar said:

I guess that would make Tyrion and Sansa the Pierre and Natasha of ASOIAF. I’m certain GRRM has read War and Peace since he has mentioned it in interviews, even if he hasn’t specifically cited it as an influence, so it’s certainly possible.

Or Levin and Kitty. I think a wonderful parallel can be made between the relationship Tolstoy had with Pierre and Levin and the relationship GRRM has with Tyrion. 

10 hours ago, Risto said:

I am also a bit surprised to see that Cersei will live to almost very end. After Season 6 finale and the Big Bang at Sept of Baelor, I thought we were just waiting the moment Cersei will be given a proper send-off to the seventh hell. Many have argued that Cersei has been kept due to Lena Headey's performance (even she said, in Episode 6.10 "Inside the Episode" video - "she has to go") I am afraid Cersei will overstay her welcome. And that would be pity.

I guess we should not put too much stock in your Tyrion and Sansa idea if you were wrong about how long Cersei was going to live

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

I guess we should not put too much stock in your Tyrion and Sansa idea if you were wrong about how long Cersei was going to live

True... :D 

19 hours ago, Risto said:

A War & Peace ending? There's going to be a Decembrist Uprising in the offing?  Who playa czar Alexander?  Who is in the role of Constantine? Nicholas I?  Kinda reaching ain't it?  Though yah, maybe 50 really dense pages of the philosophy of writing history in a novel, and arguing that then, actually W&P isn't really a novel (Tolstoy got to saying he didn't write a novel at all until Anna Karenina).

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

A War & Peace ending? There's going to be a Decembrist Uprising in the offing?  Who playa czar Alexander?  Who is in the role of Constantine? Nicholas I?  Kinda reaching ain't it?  Though yah, maybe 50 really dense pages of the philosophy of writing history in a novel, and arguing that then, actually W&P isn't really a novel (Tolstoy got to saying he didn't write a novel at all until Anna Karenina).

I was speaking more from Pierre/Natasha and Kitty/Levin angle...

6 hours ago, Risto said:

I was speaking more from Pierre/Natasha and Kitty/Levin angle...

Could you elaborate on that because I just don't see how it maps on GOT at all, particularly in terms of the characters and their characterization.  First of all, both Pierre and Levin are something of philosopher-observers, and there are no characters like that, as far as I recollect anyway -- in GOT.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Could you elaborate on that because I just don't see how it maps on GOT at all, particularly in terms of the characters and their characterization.  First of all, both Pierre and Levin are something of philosopher-observers, and there are no characters like that, as far as I recollect anyway -- in GOT.

The relationship Tolstoy had with both Pierre and Levin resembles the one GRRM has with Tyrion (and in some ways Sam). For GRRM, Tyrion is not just his favorite character, he is perhaps the closest to the author of all POV characters. Martin does speak through all of his characters, but there is something in Tyrion we all as readers noticed. It gets more personal then it is with Dany, Sansa, Bran or many other POV characters. So, I was thinking in that direction - Levin was the hero of Ana Karenina, the one that survived and his marriage with Kitty was the family that survived, the one that Tolstoy actually kept together and happy. As for Pierre and Natasha... I see a naive girl who went through relationships with Bolkonsky and Kuragin only to finally fall in love and find true happiness with "good old Pierre". It perhaps is all wrong but GRRM/Tyrion did remind me of Tolstoy and his heroes.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

The relationship Tolstoy had with both Pierre and Levin resembles the one GRRM has with Tyrion (and in some ways Sam). For GRRM, Tyrion is not just his favorite character, he is perhaps the closest to the author of all POV characters. Martin does speak through all of his characters, but there is something in Tyrion we all as readers noticed. It gets more personal then it is with Dany, Sansa, Bran or many other POV characters. So, I was thinking in that direction - Levin was the hero of Ana Karenina, the one that survived and his marriage with Kitty was the family that survived, the one that Tolstoy actually kept together and happy. As for Pierre and Natasha... I see a naive girl who went through relationships with Bolkonsky and Kuragin only to finally fall in love and find true happiness with "good old Pierre". It perhaps is all wrong but GRRM/Tyrion did remind me of Tolstoy and his heroes.

Thank you.  But -- there's nothing like a Tolstoy character in a Tyrion, -- or any of the characters, particularly when one compares and contrasts Tolstoy's female characters with those in got.  Tolstoy's treatment of Lev's brother, Nicolai Dmitrich, and his 'common law' wife -- in Anna, for instance -- one can't see anything of that depth and compassion in got. 

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

Thank you.  But -- there's nothing like a Tolstoy character in a Tyrion, -- or any of the characters, particularly when one compares and contrasts Tolstoy's female characters with those in got.  Tolstoy's treatment of Lev's brother, Nicolai Dmitrich, and his 'common law' wife -- in Anna, for instance -- one can't see anything of that depth and compassion in got. 

I was not doing full literary analysis of that, which BTW, I had an idea when BBC adaptation was on air. I was just interested in that aspect. Just like I don't see much of Natasha or Kitty in Sansa. Sansa's story is of gaining agency, becoming an independent woman. 

And now you have reminded me of Nicolai... That was a truly powerful storyline. God, I need more time for rereads :D

8 hours ago, Risto said:

I was not doing full literary analysis of that, which BTW, I had an idea when BBC adaptation was on air. I was just interested in that aspect. Just like I don't see much of Natasha or Kitty in Sansa. Sansa's story is of gaining agency, becoming an independent woman. 

And now you have reminded me of Nicolai... That was a truly powerful storyline. God, I need more time for rereads :D

Indeed!  :cheers:

I'm just talking about the books.  I've read  War and Peace several times at several different periods in my life, getting more and different things from it each time.  I even taught it as part of a special course on culture and social life in 19th Century fiction written after Walter Scott and Dumas invented the historical perspective for the novel.

For a conference I delivered a paper that examined Tolstoy's 50 pages at the end of W&P in the context of Dumas's instructions on how to research history to write historical fiction.

Very slowly W&P became my preferred Tolstoy work, whereas, as for so many, Anna Karenina had held that position for so long.  The reason I came to prefer W&P has everything to do with history -- how Tolstoy was so conscious of attempting to give us all of it for Russia and the Napoleonic era. Though, of course, as so many have observed, he failed to give us all of it, by generally leaving out the 'lower orders.'  This was before he turned radical Christian pacifist, of course, so still considered the nobility and their destiny as who and what mattered. That's is the only thing that got and W&P have in common, one might think . . . .

Archived